BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 14/9/2024

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I havent misunderstood anything, it is quite patronising to assume that I simply dont understand what he is being asked to do.

I appreciate that he isnt expected to be an out and out wide player, to be honest the majority of our wingers come inside to varying degrees. But Baker at least started wide left, obviously he isnt going to stay out wide taking the full back on, thats not what I am expecting.

But either way, I thought he was poor and ineffective in the role he was asked to play. He struggled to get involved and I dont think the role he was asked to play suited him. I would hope that with other players we have, that it wont be an experiment that will be repeated. To be honest, he struggled beyond issues through his position, set pieces is usually a strength of his but they were poor yesterday.

You said he should be replaced by more suitable ‘wide players’ thereby confirming my suspicion that you thought he was being asked to play like a wide player. I’m sorry you found it patronising that you hadn’t grasped what Eustace was asking Baker to do. I’m glad we’re finally on the same page. It’s been quite a journey. 😉

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Who wants to stand still in life not least in football?

Ipswich went from League 1 to PL in two seasons.  Were there group of players that secured promotion to the PL any better than what we have now?  I don't think so.

Recruitment team seem to have pulled a couple of rabbits out of the hat and I have more than acknowledged this in previous postings - as I posted before, all our new signings might not hit the heights but some imaginative and out the box thinking is so refreshing after the turgid days of Broughton.

Eustace has started the season in great style but lets not forget it seems there were divergent opinions between him and the recruitment team on certain players including Gueye and Ohashi with Waggott seemingly overruling Eustace on these two lads (a number of members have posted about this).

So all in all with Ipswich as a barometer, I think we should be looking for Eustace to at least hit top six.

So lets show some real ambition, and who knows what we can achieve, instead of settling for mid tablish mediocrity with far too many then basking in a false sense of warmth and achievement.  Please.

Haha, backpedaling much!?

No one said we want to stand still. But let’s get a couple of things straight. Firstly - Ipswich are the exception to the rule. You quoting them, implying that they are the standard is laughable. The straightest line to promotion out of the championship is to have the highest budget.

In truth, we all hope that Rovers can pull off ‘an Ipswich’, but that wasn’t your point. You said that you were judging Eustace’s ability as a manager on whether or not he could get us into the playoffs THIS season. Which is honestly laughable bearing in mind we were basically dead certs for relegation in June and haven’t spent more than a million quid on any player and sold Szmodics for £10m!?

Would I love Rovers to go up? YES! Has JE more than excelled in his job if we finish in the top half having sold his best player and spent bugger all on a team who were one of the worst performing in the league last season? YES.

• Like 7

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, you are also being patronising by suggesting that I am simply too thick to understand what the expected role in this case of JRC is.

I am aware that when he has played wide right, he is not expected to run on the outside. The idea is for him to drift in and not hold the width. But even allowing for the specific remit of the role he is given, I think he has played poorly there doing that role and I dont think it suits him. I think he plays better with space in front of him which he has at right back, where he linked with the players in front of him. An example would be his goal at Millwall away last season where he ran forward, played a one two with Brittain and shot. Some players struggle when taking the ball in more advanced areas but thrive with space to move into, I know he isnt as athletic as Emerton was but he was the same.

No, he hasnt played as a right back under Eustace. But he is at risk of being down the pecking order in all positions as he seems to be now, and its a shame to see a talented player in that position.

Baker had a poor game and looked like someone who didnt look comfortable. Hopefully due to the availability issues we had out wide that you touch on, it will be an experiment that goes in the bin.

The Millwall example that you gave was when JRC was playing in a central midfield role, Hill played right back, and Brittain right wing in that game (all 3 were involved in the build up).  Incidentally this was the point last season when I felt JRC looked at his best playing for a prolonged period centrally

Edited by KentExile
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Again, you are also being patronising by suggesting that I am simply too thick to understand what the expected role in this case of JRC is.

No one is being patronising at all towards you but I don't think you do understanding what JRC is playing wide right moving inside role. similar to your Baker point which Forever Blue pointed out. 

I am aware that when he has played wide right, he is not expected to run on the outside. The idea is for him to drift in and not hold the width. But even allowing for the specific remit of the role he is given, I think he has played poorly there doing that role and I dont think it suits him. I think he plays better with space in front of him which he has at right back, where he linked with the players in front of him. An example would be his goal at Millwall away last season where he ran forward, played a one two with Brittain and shot. Some players struggle when taking the ball in more advanced areas but thrive with space to move into, I know he isnt as athletic as Emerton was but he was the same.

Woah, Its been 3 games he has played that and with that he has been carrying an injury. 

No I don't think he suits a right back role in Eustace's system and the way he wants his full backs to play. 

Emerton was a cracking player for us. I always like him playing wide myself. 

No, he hasnt played as a right back under Eustace. But he is at risk of being down the pecking order in all positions as he seems to be now, and its a shame to see a talented player in that position.

Do you really think pecking order happened these days? 

Baker had a poor game and looked like someone who didnt look comfortable. Hopefully due to the availability issues we had out wide that you touch on, it will be an experiment that goes in the bin.

I don't agree he had a poor game but he had a solid 7 out of 10 for me. Eustace said post game why he played there. It wasn't anything do with experiment Eustace wanted to do. I would expect him to play that role again if we are down to 10 men or looking to hold onto a lead in some game situations

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KentExile said:

The Millwall example that you gave was when JRC was playing in a central midfield role, Hill played right back, and Brittain right wing in that game (all 3 were involved in the build up).  Incidentally this was the point last season when I felt JRC looked at his best

I think Eustace’s plan for JRC was to play the way he did with Baker yesterday. For Joe to tuck in that advanced right side position and create havoc whilst Brittain creates the width.

The problem is that JRC has been crap throughout preseason and into the season.

I think he will come back. He’s a cracking player, though it’s clear that the manager doesn’t see him as a RB in this team.

45 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Who wants to stand still in life not least in football?

Ipswich went from League 1 to PL in two seasons.  Were their group of players that secured promotion to the PL any better than what we have now?  I don't think so.

Recruitment team seem to have pulled a couple of rabbits out of the hat and I have more than acknowledged this in previous postings - as I posted before, all our new signings might not hit the heights but some imaginative and out the box thinking is so refreshing after the turgid days of Broughton.

Eustace has started the season in great style but lets not forget it seems there were divergent opinions between him and the recruitment team on certain players including Gueye and Ohashi with Waggott seemingly overruling Eustace on these two lads (a number of members have posted about this).

So all in all with Ipswich as a barometer, I think we should be looking for Eustace to at least hit top six.

So lets show some real ambition, and who knows what we can achieve, instead of settling for mid tablish mediocrity with far too many then basking in a false sense of warmth and achievement.  Please.

You didn't rate Eustace or didn't think we would survive relegation. Its funny what 3 homes wins and 2 away draws meaning unbeaten start to the league season and 2nd in the league does to people

❚❚ Searched for 'relegation' in All Content (brfcs.com)

• Like 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

No one is being patronising at all towards you but I don't think you do understanding what JRC is playing wide right moving inside role. similar to your Baker point which Forever Blue pointed out. 

Woah, Its been 3 games he has played that and with that he has been carrying an injury. 

No I don't think he suits a right back role in Eustace's system and the way he wants his full backs to play. 

Emerton was a cracking player for us. I always like him playing wide myself. 

Do you really think pecking order happened these days? 

I don't agree he had a poor game but he had a solid 7 out of 10 for me. Eustace said post game why he played there. It wasn't anything do with experiment Eustace wanted to do. I would expect him to play that role again if we are down to 10 men or looking to hold onto a lead in some game situations

Well yes, it is incredibly patronising to repeatedly (again here) tell someone that they simply dont understand. Especially when they have told you that they do understand and have acknowledged what the idea of the role is. To understand, it doesnt mean that you have to agree with it.

My point is that I dont feel like either of these specific roles, especially the Baker one, suits the players in question.

I know that Baker wasn't expected to play like Ryan Giggs in his pomp, beating his full back one on one on the outside. Me saying he didnt play well isnt based on a warped view that he wasnt doing things that perhaps a more traditional wide man would. I dont think specifically within the remit that he would have been given, that he had any real effect on the game. I dont think he is suited to playing initially (again, I know he wont be getting chalk on his boots) from the left, I dont think it suits him or the team. And I hope that it was a decision made purely because of availability issues, with Cozier Duberry deemed not ready to start, Weimann deemed not ready to start, Cantwell not ready to start (Dolan could play left) and Sigurdsson ill. I think we still need another left winger but even then, I would even prefer to see any of Dolan, Hedges, Weimann or even Sigurdsson start from that role, and most of them would come inside so that isnt my issue.

I also know that Rankin Costello playing wide right isnt a choice made with an expectation of seeing a flying winger, I fully understand the plan to ask him to move inside and have say Brittain keeping the width. I understand, I have repeatedly outlined that plan and yet still apparently dont understand. But I dont AGREE with that plan even though I UNDERSTAND.

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I think Eustace’s plan for JRC was to play the way he did with Baker yesterday. For Joe to tuck in that advanced right side position and create havoc whilst Brittain creates the width.

The problem is that JRC has been crap throughout preseason and into the season.

I think he will come back. He’s a cracking player, though it’s clear that the manager doesn’t see him as a RB in this team.

Sometimes ideas in practice dont work as well as they do in theory.

Many thought £10m man Buckley would thrive playing deeper in midfield and thats where we would get the best out of him. 

Many also assumed that playing Trent Alexander Arnold in midfield would suit him more than right back. Again, not so.

Even allowing for the fact that neither Baker nor JRC were expected to play as actual wingers. Both players struggle taking the ball in higher areas, neither are in any way dynamic and both are used and more suited to having more space in front of them.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Haha, backpedaling much!?

No one said we want to stand still. But let’s get a couple of things straight. Firstly - Ipswich are the exception to the rule. You quoting them, implying that they are the standard is laughable. The straightest line to promotion out of the championship is to have the highest budget.

In truth, we all hope that Rovers can pull off ‘an Ipswich’, but that wasn’t your point. You said that you were judging Eustace’s ability as a manager on whether or not he could get us into the playoffs THIS season. Which is honestly laughable bearing in mind we were basically dead certs for relegation in June and haven’t spent more than a million quid on any player and sold Szmodics for £10m!?

Would I love Rovers to go up? YES! Has JE more than excelled in his job if we finish in the top half having sold his best player and spent bugger all on a team who were one of the worst performing in the league last season? YES.

Not backpedaling!

Ipswich the exception to the rule!?  Think your memory is a tad selective - what about Sheff United, Southampton, Norwich, Man City and Watford who all achieved back to back promotions to PL since its formation in 1992.

And not to get sidetracked, yes I will judge Eustace on his ability to get us in the play-offs this season.  When he joined us, he spoke of this 'fantastic opportunity at a fantastic club with fantastic facilities and fantastic players'.  Well, let's see if John Boy can walk the walk as well as talk the talk!

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You didn't rate Eustace or didn't think we would survive relegation. Its funny what 3 homes wins and 2 away draws meaning unbeaten start to the league season and 2nd in the league does to people

❚❚ Searched for 'relegation' in All Content (brfcs.com)

A bit rich from someone who one minute wanted to give Mowbray a new 5 year contract and then in the next minute is calling for him to be sacked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, I wasn't impressed with Eustace last season.  This season, he's set up the team well and we are off to a cracking start helped by some of our new signings excelling of which there are at least two/three Eustace seemingly didn't want!  Eustace should stick to what he does best and leave the recruitment to Gestede and Park - a structure you have been banging on about since Adam was a lad!

Let's hope our superb start continues.  As I said in a recent post, there is often a team that comes from 'nowhere' (let's hope it's Rovers this season) - confidence and momentum can take you to the pinnacle in this league.

Edited by Mercer

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Well yes, it is incredibly patronising to repeatedly (again here) tell someone that they simply dont understand. Especially when they have told you that they do understand and have acknowledged what the idea of the role is. To understand, it doesnt mean that you have to agree with it.

My point is that I dont feel like either of these specific roles, especially the Baker one, suits the players in question.

I know that Baker wasn't expected to play like Ryan Giggs in his pomp, beating his full back one on one on the outside. Me saying he didnt play well isnt based on a warped view that he wasnt doing things that perhaps a more traditional wide man would. I dont think specifically within the remit that he would have been given, that he had any real effect on the game. I dont think he is suited to playing initially (again, I know he wont be getting chalk on his boots) from the left, I dont think it suits him or the team. And I hope that it was a decision made purely because of availability issues, with Cozier Duberry deemed not ready to start, Weimann deemed not ready to start, Cantwell not ready to start (Dolan could play left) and Sigurdsson ill. I think we still need another left winger but even then, I would even prefer to see any of Dolan, Hedges, Weimann or even Sigurdsson start from that role, and most of them would come inside so that isnt my issue.

I also know that Rankin Costello playing wide right isnt a choice made with an expectation of seeing a flying winger, I fully understand the plan to ask him to move inside and have say Brittain keeping the width. I understand, I have repeatedly outlined that plan and yet still apparently dont understand. But I dont AGREE with that plan even though I UNDERSTAND.

Yet again, no one is being patronising but expressing an opinion on your post. 

Its about what suits the team not the player in question. 

Cozier-Duberry hasn't been at Brockhall much in the past 2 weeks with being called up by England, Cantwell hasn't any game time previously so not going to start, Weimann has been injured for the past 2 weeks but said to Eustace on Friday he could play abit from the bench. 

You can't say either 3 games is enough to see whether JRC playing from the right will work or not? you needs more games to judge then just a small sample. 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You can't say either 3 games is enough to see whether JRC playing from the right will work or not? you needs more games to judge then just a small sample. 

Football is a simple game with too many, including some posters on here, getting hung-up with sexy tactics and notions in the fanciful belief they can replicate Pep.

The bottom line is JRC's best performances for Rovers have come when he has played as a conventional right back and been able to get into the opponent's box 'under the radar'.  It's my belief that is his best role and he should be played there instead of the, IMO, cowardly bag of wind Brittain.  Simple as.

• Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, Mercer said:

No, I wasn't impressed with Eustace last season.  This season, he's set up the team well and we are off to a cracking start helped by some of our new signings excelling of which there are at least two/three Eustace seemingly didn't want!  Eustace should stick to what he does best and leave the recruitment to Gestede and Park - a structure you have been banging on about since Adam was a lad!

Let's hope our superb start continues.  As I said in a recent post, there is often a team that comes from 'nowhere' (let's hope it's Rovers this season) - confidence and momentum can take you to the pinnacle in this league.

You asked me asked me before JDT leave who would appoint as his replacement and I gave you 3 names, one being John Eustace. Other 2 were Alex Neil and John Mousinho. https://www.brfcs.com/forums/topic/36778-v-west-bromwich-albion-a-13124/?do=findComment&comment=2546680

So Yes I thought we had the right appointment, but he went back to basics and be tight at the back to keep us up and it was clear he only rated around 15 to 16 players last season. This season, we seem a more attacking style after a full and proper pre season.. 

on the structure, Its seem we have transfer committee which we pick targets from to sign and all must agree, given Jackson's comments with Eustace, Gestede, Owen and Park on that committee. Of Course Eustace should be involved in transfer 

Lets hope we win against PNE on Sunday dinner time 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yet again, no one is being patronising but expressing an opinion on your post. 

Its about what suits the team not the player in question. 

Cozier-Duberry hasn't been at Brockhall much in the past 2 weeks with being called up by England, Cantwell hasn't any game time previously so not going to start, Weimann has been injured for the past 2 weeks but said to Eustace on Friday he could play abit from the bench. 

I know you like to parrot the cliches about the team being first, obviously that is the case.

I dont see how it beneficial to the team to have a player in a role where he is ill suited and struggled to have an impact in, you will have to enlighten me on that.

I know regarding all of those players and why they werent considered to start. My point is going forward, hopefully their availability to start games will mean that we wont repeat the Baker on the left idea.

Its not just 3 poor performances in that position. I just dont think it suits JRC as a player to do that role, nor the team. My hope is that Cozier Duberry ends up being a regular there, a player who naturally plays from the right and who is the only player in our squad with any pace.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I know you like to parrot the cliches about the team being first, obviously that is the case.

Its not about cliches at all but football is a team game 

I dont see how it beneficial to the team to have a player in a role where he is ill suited and struggled to have an impact in, you will have to enlighten me on that.

which player are we talking about? 

I know regarding all of those players and why they werent considered to start. My point is going forward, hopefully their availability to start games will mean that we wont repeat the Baker on the left idea.

We see, but I can see Eustace using it to defend a lead or in we were down to 10 men. 

Its not just 3 poor performances in that position. I just dont think it suits JRC as a player to do that role, nor the team. My hope is that Cozier Duberry ends up being a regular there, a player who naturally plays from the right and who is the only player in our squad with any pace.

fine if that's your opinion. 

I think Cozier-Duberry will play either side depending on who we are playing and who is playing in the team. What we have is loads of different options and that's we need this season

Just catching up on the LET editorial standards (or lack thereof).

I actually quite like listening to the lad's podcast on my work commute, but his pronunciation of 'think' (fink) and also 'thought' (fought) makes my skin crawl.

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

Not backpedaling!

Ipswich the exception to the rule!?  Think your memory is a tad selective - what about Sheff United, Southampton, Norwich, Man City and Watford who all achieved back to back promotions to PL since its formation in 1992.

And not to get sidetracked, yes I will judge Eustace on his ability to get us in the play-offs this season.  When he joined us, he spoke of this 'fantastic opportunity at a fantastic club with fantastic facilities and fantastic players'.  Well, let's see if John Boy can walk the walk as well as talk the talk!

So, you’re arguing Ipswich do NOT represent the exception to the rule before naming just 5 ‘other’ teams in 32yrs that have done ‘an Ipswich’ 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for proving my point pal. Much appreciated.

You’ve only decided to ‘judge’ Eustace on his ability to get us promoted this season because a) he pissed all over your drunken ramblings and kept us up, and b) has started well this season which deep down, is killing you, because you wrote him off months ago.

If he did, by a pure miracle (on our budget) get us promoted, you’d probably suggest he could only actually earn his stripes if he got us in the Champions League! Right? 🤣

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Mercer is the biggest wind up merchant ever and this is a good example but the idea that Rovers doing well would "kill" him deep down is a load of rubbish.

Please read my post.

Mercer would be delighted if Rovers were doing great, in spite of the manager, who he wrote off months ago.

I said it is killing him that EUSTACE is doing well. Rovers are doing great because of the manager and it’s excruciating. The fact that he’s now decided, the ONLY way JE can ever be seen as a decent manager is to get us in the playoffs this season is the best evidence yet of this theory.

• Like 1

On 14/09/2024 at 20:39, Tom said:

I am?

Think it proved spot on, the manager stuck with him and the competition obviously spurred him on and it’s his shirt to lose. I think it will change once he has a bad game 

Let's hope he proves you and others wrong, he seems to be getting his confidence back, after a lot of stick and some school boy errors last season.

On 14/09/2024 at 18:37, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Travis was crafty there, he hid behind their centre half when the keeper got the ball then he sprang out as soon as the pass was made.

My thoughts exactly, we were holding on at times, in that sloppy laid back half an hour, and if was'nt for 2 good saves from pears, they might have levelled, before Ohashi put it beyond doubt. There was also a fantastic tackle from Beck that kept them out.