BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 14/9/2024

12 hours ago, Rover1984 said:

Great start to a long season. As we know anything can happen but we look like a proper championship team. Myself did not expect to see a squad with this character and desire to compete this season after first few weeks of the window. Hope the consistency carries through and we keep proving doubters wrong! We were Favourites for the drop in many pundits eyes 👀

and mine!! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Sometimes ideas in practice dont work as well as they do in theory.

Many thought £10m man Buckley would thrive playing deeper in midfield and thats where we would get the best out of him. 

Many also assumed that playing Trent Alexander Arnold in midfield would suit him more than right back. Again, not so.

Even allowing for the fact that neither Baker nor JRC were expected to play as actual wingers. Both players struggle taking the ball in higher areas, neither are in any way dynamic and both are used and more suited to having more space in front of them.

Buckley's career seems to be over? I honestly thought he'd be a key player for us once.

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Please read my post.

Mercer would be delighted if Rovers were doing great, in spite of the manager, who he wrote off months ago.

I said it is killing him that EUSTACE is doing well. Rovers are doing great because of the manager and it’s excruciating. The fact that he’s now decided, the ONLY way JE can ever be seen as a decent manager is to get us in the playoffs this season is the best evidence yet of this theory.

Being a bit obsessive? Does it matter?

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Buckley's career seems to be over? I honestly thought he'd be a key player for us once.

Being a bit obsessive? Does it matter?

Im sure it wont be over but now it feels like he is making the numbers up here and yesterdays late appearance felt like a token gesture.

He had a good run of form under Mowbray in a very advanced role and has never got close to those levels since he left. He was able to nick the ball back and he is good at playing passes high up where he could slip in Brereton and Khadra on the counter attack but he offered next to no goal threat himself.

It was assumed that playing deeper would suit him but when he moved back, it required an ability to have good awareness in a more hectic area of the pitch and the ability to try and control games and it turned out that he couldnt really do either.

His talent has got him through the academy system to this level, but to thrive in a Championship midfield you need the graft too - does he want it enough? If he’s not careful he’ll blink and be in the lower divisions and he’l be like ‘oh, how did that happen?!’

• Like 2

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It was assumed that playing deeper would suit him but when he moved back, it required an ability to have good awareness in a more hectic area of the pitch and the ability to try and control games and it turned out that he couldnt really do either.

And yet he did both in the cup against Newcastle last season when he was the best player on the pitch. 

It’s not ability holding him back. It’s thinking he’s that good that he can just stroll round the centre of the park popping off 10 yard passes like he’s playing in a charity match. 

Like Matty says, he’ll wake up one day and wonder why he’s in his prime and playing for Fleetwood. 

Edited by Forever Blue
  • Like 1

Just re-watched the match. As others have said, I never felt we were going to concede. Dolan was a constant threat, Yuki is cult hero status already. Owen Beck is a proper fullback, nice to see a defender doing what their first job is rather than being glorified wingers who can't defend.

I am delighted that our recruitment looks to be thought out for a change and that their is a obvious team spirit and a bit if steel. The manager it seems has done a terrific job in getting the basics right during pre season. We look a team thats not going to roll over against anyone. Long may it continue.

Bring on PNE!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, USABlue said:

We are always oroud to support our team, it's those at the top we do not care for.

I’m not sure that’s true. I’ve been on Rovers plenty of times where the team has been getting dogs abuse, especially under managers like Kean when there were players wearing the shirt who couldn’t give a shit about BRFC. 

Eustace makes a good point. We all want a team we can be proud of, like the team that got a good result at Burnley under difficult circumstances. That hasn’t always been the case under Venkys. 

• Like 6

On 15/09/2024 at 23:33, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I had a bit of faith in Eustace, especially after the end of last season. He looked to have instilled a bit of team spirit and will to win into the place.

He got some unfair criticism towards the end of last season, some rovers supporters(if they attend matches) like to find a scapegoat. He had a very difficult task, when he was brought in towards the end of last season, keeping a misfiring Blackburn Rovers in the Championship. He did that, and now were seeing the team that John Eustace put together in the Summer, playing some fantastic football, that's beginning to put the smile back on the rovers supporters faces. Our main aim is to improve on last seasons dreadful run of results, but who knows the way Rovers are playing at the moment.

Edited by RoversTilliDie

1 hour ago, RoversTilliDie said:

He got some unfair criticism towards the end of last season, some rovers supporters(if they attend matches) like to find a scapegoat. He had a very difficult task, when he was brought in towards the end of last season, keeping a misfiring Blackburn Rovers in the Championship. He did that, and now were seeing the team that John Eustace put together in the Summer, playing some fantastic football, that's beginning to put the smile back on the rovers supporters faces. Our main aim is to improve on last seasons dreadful run of results, but who knows the way Rovers are playing at the moment.

The idea that Eustace became a scapegoat last season is rubbish. He split opinion and received criticism because we didnt win many games under him, he didnt get any stick in the ground despite not winning a single home game under him.

This season, obviously only 5 games in but hes already won all 3 at home and is unbeaten, so the narrative has changed because hes being judged on results.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The idea that Eustace became a scapegoat last season is rubbish. He split opinion and received criticism because we didnt win many games under him, he didnt get any stick in the ground despite not winning a single home game under him.

This season, obviously only 5 games in but hes already won all 3 at home and is unbeaten, so the narrative has changed because hes being judged on results.

Let’s have it right. There were people on this site that were on his case after a handful of games. Ridiculous really considering the state the club was in. They know who they are so I’ll leave it at that.

• Like 1

This site had folk like that, certainly, but RTID is falling into the trap that plenty of fall into. Conflating the very reactive world of brfcs (and forums in general) with actual match goers - and he’s been given a lot of understanding and support with them from day 1. Very patient crowd.