BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 14/9/2024

Not for the first time I cannot believe what I am reading on here.

We have signed 11 new players. 1 is a kid, 1 is suspended, 2 are capable OAP cover in central defence.

The other 7 have cost diddly squat in transfer fees but would be £5m + buys today in the sort of normal transfer market most of us were brought up to understand. And Duru has come through from the Academy to be a real alternative at right back.

We bemoaned a thin squad.

Now we have a decent squad and don't seem to have the emotional cojones to handle it.

In the Rovers of last season it would be unthinkable to drop a player who had scored a wonder goal at the Dingles, or that Pears, Pickering, Britain, JRC, Dolan and Hedges are all at risk of being dropped because we have (shock horror) not only set out to get better players in their places but quite possibly/probably have done.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eustace pins a blank sheet of paper to the wall and tells the first training session this week that is the current first team and subs bench for the Bristol game.

And I forgot Sigurdsson...

Edited by philipl
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Wouldn’t inverted full back mean JRC played off the left under JDT? I don’t recall him ever doing that, but I know Hedges did quite a lot.

Always thought JRC played off the right and then tucked into midfield rather than playing inverted.

Not saying you’re wrong, I just don’t recall him playing inverted.

I was surprised to see Duru come on at the death. If we’d have been chasing the game and looking for an equaliser I could have understood it better. A bit of pace out wide.  But we weren’t, we were trying to hold on to a vital point. I’d have thought JRC was a better bet in those circumstances.

Fair play to Eustace, he knows the players better than any of us. However he did say he was fuming when the kid gave away a free kick in a dangerous area.

On another point, Duru and Beck must be the youngest pair of full backs we’ve ever fielded along with two with the shortest surnames.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Isn't expecting the new lad to be an instant massive upgrade on Pears the main giant assumption here ?

Exactly the same that was being trotted out when Leo was signed 'oh he should be straight in we haven't paid a fee just to be back up'

I suggested that was exactly the case at that stage and he'd be eased in, injuries meant he wasn't and it back fired spectacularly.

Why in gods name would anyone want a repeat of that ?

We've no idea what the plan is but again i'd suggest this lad is here to settle in and provide direct competition with Pears for the number one.  He hasn't been bought to throw straight in just on the assumption everyone thinks he's a bit better, going out the cup hasn't helped but he'll get his chance when he's ready.

I might be wrong but we'll see.

We don’t know if he is better but you’d hope the scouts have an idea as to how good the new lad is and the coaches will be able to judge his ability from his performances in training.

I think him being on international duty will delay him being put into the team as I think JE will want time to assess him in both training and in some under 21 matches.

I hope he is better than Pears because we need him to be, and I hope JE is confident this is the case sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You are again confusing that what I think Eustace will do isnt necessarily what I think he should do.

I'm confusing nothing. 

Duru came on because he seemingly is higher in the pecking order as a right back, I dont agree that he should be.

Why shouldn't Duru be back up to Britain at right back? 

And as I said, if he played at right back it wouldnt have to be in the exact same way that he did under Tomasson. He could play as a right back in a different way, and I still feel he would be effective there. Moreso than Duru who I think is still very raw. He wouldnt have to come inside like he did under Tomasson, IMO he could hold the width a bit more and still be effective.

Ok fair enough 

I also think that he is well down the pecking order out wide and in central midfield, ie the 2 positions where Eustace has played him, and neither of which he has been effective in. So unless he is considered at right back, he will struggle to get any game time which would be wasteful.

We have plenty of options and that we need in attacking areas. JRC will force in his way if he performs. I hope he does personally. Will score vital goals this season 

15 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

We don’t know if he is better but you’d hope the scouts have an idea as to how good the new lad is and the coaches will be able to judge his ability from his performances in training.

I think him being on international duty will delay him being put into the team as I think JE will want time to assess him in both training and in some under 21 matches.

I hope he is better than Pears because we need him to be, and I hope JE is confident this is the case sooner rather than later. 

It’s going to be interesting, but I’d suggest they’ll have enough time to work out a) if he’s better than Pears and b) if they want Pears out bad enough.

One things for sure, if Toth comes straight in for Bristol, Pears is done and he’ll be looking to move on. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, tomphil said:

What iv'e clearly been saying is he wasn't ready if you'd read previous posts you might have gauged that i already mentioned it was necessity but my reading of it was the plan would have been to let him have several months training then ease him in.

Which is the point i'm trying to press now with this lad because i'm looking at the bigger picture and learning from the Wahlsted farce.  Although having said that i trust Eustace is better to make that call than JDT was simply from knowing this league so much better.

Bear in mind it's likely  a lot of those who clamoured for Leo to go straight in were probably amongst the first to write him off when they'd seen him.

We are in a decent position so lets have some fucking patience for once on here.

You say have some patience. No one has any patience in Pears because he has worn it away considering the amount of mistakes he repeatedly makes.

A new goalkeeper was of primary importance in this transfer window, someone to take over from Pears hence why people are so eager to get the new guy in. If he isn't going to be ready for months then a huge weakness in the team will continue to cause us problems.

Wahlstedt's main issue wasn't (out of necessity) being chucked in too soon. It was that he was crap. Just because Toth was signed from overseas shouldn't mean we will need to wait ages to get him in.

9 minutes ago, philipl said:

Not for the first time I cannot believe what I am reading on here.

We have signed 11 new players. 1 is a kid, 1 is suspended, 2 are capable OAP cover in central defence.

The other 7 have cost diddly squat in transfer fees but would be £5m + buys today in the sort of normal transfer market most of us were brought up to understand. And Duru has come through from the Academy to be a real alternative at right back.

We bemoaned a thin squad.

Now we have a decent squad and don't seem to have the emotional cojones to handle it.

In the Rovers of last season it would be unthinkable to drop a player who had scored a wonder goal at the Dingles, or that Pears, Pickering, Britain, JRC, Dolan and Hedges are all at risk of being dropped because we have (shock horror) not only set out to get better players in their places but quite possibly/probably have done.

I wouldn't be surprised if Eustace pins a blank sheet of paper to the wall and tells the first training session this week that is the current first team and subs bench for the Bristol game.

And I forgot Sigurdsson...

What are you talking about? Cant believe what you are reading and people lacking the "emotional cojones" to handle the window.

Reaction to the window considering the tiny budget in relation to what we have brought in has been very positive, not befitting your over the top nonsense. Lots of praise given to the recruitment team.

Point being, had the same people who recruited been given a more reasonable budget, they would have been able to do even more, whether thats to fill one or two areas we are still light in, have more focus on longer term signings (only 4 of the new signings are on multi year contracts) and perhaps sign a couple of potential assets that could grow in value.

So the issue is with the owners not spending.

Well with a couple of weeks now of most of them training together the next team sheet could look a whole lot different v Bristol so we'll have to wait and see.

Then again, as i suspect, it probably won't but the bench will look stronger than it has done in a while and Eustace imo has shown he knows how to use it well so far.

(Apart from Blackpool)

If we haven't signed a better keeper than Pears, what has the Recruitment team been doing for  the last 12 months? It is not difficult to name at least 50 keepers plying their trade in England one would select ahead of Pears.

• Like 3

I'm guessing Eustace won't want to box himself into a corner with Toth.

We're unbeaten in 5th with Pears in goal. If he drops Pears and plays Toth and Toth doesn't put a foot wrong, happy days. 

If he drops Pears and Toth isn't ready/ has a couple of stinkers, where does that leave Eustace? Keep playing a keeper who he feels isn't ready, or put Pears back in? 

I think he'll keep Pears in for the foreseeable. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s going to be interesting, but I’d suggest they’ll have enough time to work out a) if he’s better than Pears and b) if they want Pears out bad enough.

One things for sure, if Toth comes straight in for Bristol, Pears is done and he’ll be looking to move on. 

Not so sure. If Toth really struggles (or gets injured) then Pears will be back in quicker than anyone imagined.

Also whilst I'm sure Pears won't be happy, he has to balance that off with the reality of what moving on looks like. Is he going to get another club at this level who want to buy him as a starter? Almost certainly not. Will a L1 club be able to match his wages? Would he even be prepared to go down a division?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, M_B said:

I'm guessing Eustace won't want to box himself into a corner with Toth.

We're unbeaten in 5th with Pears in goal. If he drops Pears and plays Toth and Toth doesn't put a foot wrong, happy days. 

If he drops Pears and Toth isn't ready/ has a couple of stinkers, where does that leave Eustace? Keep playing a keeper who he feels isn't ready, or put Pears back in? 

I think he'll keep Pears in for the foreseeable. 

Eustace clearly wants a new number 1 

Fair enough doesn't look like Toth was a Eustace pick but the club were actively pursuing Rushworth and Travers on loan,neither would have been coming here to be a number 2 goalkeeper. Same goes for De Lange. 

None of us know much about Toth and he is coming from a weak league ,but he will be coming here to be number 1, we don't go into the market looking at the likes of Travers or Rushworth if Eustace is happy with Pears 

• Like 1

Bristol City are a bit of a bogey team for us aren't they, not too confident here! Possible loss, but more than likely a draw i'd say.

If we do manage to get a win, however, it'd most certainly be a sign that things are really starting to look up.

Toth obviously can be worse, but we shouldnt be holding off out of fear of it. If he is then its another horrendous bit of recruitment because signing a new keeper who can start for us was a primary priority.

We shouldnt be sticking with Pears as if hes a safe pair of hands and we dont want to gamble.

Nearly 2 weeks on the training pitch before this one. Plenty of time for Eustace to have a good look at his new players and for those with fitness issues to get more up to speed. I trust Eustace to pick the right team more so than either of our last two managers. Won’t be any strange experiments a la Mowbray or nonsensical droppings like JDT did on occasion.

• Like 2

Pity Toth is away with Hungary for a couple of weeks, I'd assume he comes back and slots in on the bench, time on the training ground with the back four and whole squad is important for his growth and his settling into a new league, country etc.

Cantwell should start (barring injury) would expect Cozier-Duberry to come off the bench also. The big headache is probably Beck vs. Pickering, again hopefully Beck avoids injury with Wales and returns ready to retain his place. I'd imagine Eustace will want an ''earn the shirt'' mentality.

Weimann to get a hero's welcome! Thats the most certain outcome.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, philipl said:

If we haven't signed a better keeper than Pears, what has the Recruitment team been doing for  the last 12 months? It is not difficult to name at least 50 keepers plying their trade in England one would select ahead of Pears.

Plying their trade in England being the key point.

We don't sign those type of keepers.

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

What is going to be interesting is whether the new keeper goes backwards while here.  I have a sneaky feeling he will.  We need a better keeper coach, Kaminski went backwards under Benson and none of our keeprs have got better I expect this fella to drop off too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

What is going to be interesting is whether the new keeper goes backwards while here.  I have a sneaky feeling he will.  We need a better keeper coach, Kaminski went backwards under Benson and none of our keeprs have got better I expect this fella to drop off too. 

How that donkey is still parading around here as a gk coach after all these years is baffling. Really needs replacing.