BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 14/9/2024

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I can’t see Pears being dropped in the circumstances. If the Hungarian lad had been back here training with us for the two weeks, maybe.

I also don't see him being dropped just yet.

Thankfully there were no bloopers against the Dingles so I think JE will stick with him

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Tugayisgod said:

Thankfully there were no bloopers against the Dingles so I think JE will stick with him

There was a couple of bloopers. A really bad pass out and the way he flapped at a cross and was caught in no man's land

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

Just because Burnley didn't score doesnt mean there wasn't any bloopers

In the first half when he came rushing off his line with a sea  bodies in front of him ,absolutely no chance of getting the ball.0nly good fortune stopped Foster scoring again

• Like 3

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Just because Burnley didn't score doesnt mean there wasn't any bloopers

In the first half when he came rushing off his line with a sea  bodies in front of him ,absolutely no chance of getting the ball.0nly good fortune stopped Foster scoring again

You're more triggered about  Pears than Burnley were at Rovers enjoying the draw.

He's a bang average keeper prone to unforced errors but we can't or won't buy something guaranteed to be better so the next best thing is some direct competition albeit from another guy who may be at a similar stage in his career and has zero British Championship level experience.

Therefore it's a case of getting up to speed and taking the chance when it comes along, which it will when Pears has a bad run, is injured or they just drop him in for a game to have a look.

I'd deal with it if i were you because it migtt be a while.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

You're more triggered about  Pears than Burnley were at Rovers enjoying the draw.

He's a bang average keeper prone to unforced errors but we can't or won't buy something guaranteed to be better so the next best thing is some direct competition albeit from another guy who may be at a similar stage in his career and has zero British Championship level experience.

Therefore it's a case of getting up to speed and taking the chance when it comes along, which it will when Pears has a bad run, is injured or they just drop him in for a game to have a look.

I'd deal with it if i were you because it migtt be a while.

I disagree with this post.

He'll be in that starting lineup as soon as Eustace sees fit.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him start for the Bristol game, 100% the game after.

Pears is a liability. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, damo100 said:

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him start for the Bristol game, 100% the game after.

Pears is a liability. 

We heard all the same with Leo but he had to wait until Pears was injured which wasn't long but he himself was nowhere near ready or even any good in this league.

We'll see, i want a proper upgrade and i'm prepared to wait as long as in the bigger picture we end up with a good keeper when he's ready to take over.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, damo100 said:

Pears is a liability. 

It's up to Eustace, that's what managers are paid for.

13 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We heard all the same with Leo but he had to wait until Pears was injured which wasn't long but he himself was nowhere near ready or even any good in this league.

We'll see, i want a proper upgrade and i'm prepared to wait as long as in the bigger picture we end up with a good keeper when he's ready to take over.

I feel this is different, Pears is a liability, I, and I would suspect the majority of fans panick as soon as the ball comes anywhere near our box.

Imagine how the players feel?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

He would only have to be average at this level to be an upgrade on Pears. He isnt a safe pair of hands in the mean time, hes the worst number 1 keeper in the league.

36 minutes ago, M_B said:

As we're talking hypotheticals, if Toth had started the season exactly the same as Pears, who would drop him? 

Its not the same, Pears has made a typically mistake prone start, but the big difference is the extended period of time especially last season when he made so many hence the urgent need to upgrade. He has had more than enough chances and we know he isnt good enough.

Whoever is in net will make mistakes, its the quantity that is the issue. If Toth comes in and makes a mistake, that doesnt put him on par with a player whose mistakes went into double figures in a season where he missed a big chunk.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Its not the same, Pears has made a typically mistake prone start, but the big difference is the extended period of time especially last season when he made so many hence the urgent need to upgrade. He has had more than enough chances and we know he isnt good enough.

Whoever is in net will make mistakes, its the quantity that is the issue. If Toth comes in and makes a mistake, that doesnt put him on par with a player whose mistakes went into double figures in a season where he missed a big chunk.

No, I wouldn't drop him either. 

19 minutes ago, M_B said:

No, I wouldn't drop him either. 

I would drop Pears, If the replacement wasn't good enough, I would reinstate Pears. If Pears was not happy with that, I would point out to him that he is a pro footballer and the managers decision is final. Get on with it and prove that you are worthy of the place.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

He would only have to be average at this level to be an upgrade on Pears. He isnt a safe pair of hands in the mean time, hes the worst number 1 keeper in the league.

Whilst i agree we need a good steady number 1 i think you are being harsh with the rest of it you need to look around the Championship.

The overall standard isn't good at all and i'd suggest Pears fits right in the average championship standard bracket.

It's the reason the likes of Ruddy was able to keep going so long despite clearly on the wane two years ago and why Krull would be someones number 1 still if he'd play for sensible wages.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Whilst i agree we need a good steady number 1 i think you are being harsh with the rest of it you need to look around the Championship.

The overall standard isn't good at all and i'd suggest Pears fits right in the average championship standard bracket.

It's the reason the likes of Ruddy was able to keep going so long despite clearly on the wane two years ago and why Krull would be someones number 1 still if he'd play for sensible wages.

Or, some of the keepers in the championship are not very good. And Pears is one of the not very good ones

• Like 2

1 hour ago, M_B said:

As we're talking hypotheticals, if Toth had started the season exactly the same as Pears, who would drop him? 

A ridiculous post, only played 4 league games.

We all know and remember his many howlers, just waiting for the next one, you never know when it will come, but it surely will.

22 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I think the main difference of opinion is that Pears is average at this level. If he was a steady pair of hands then the debate would be different entirely.

Pears made so many mistakes last season, far more than average. 

You mention Ruddy, he fell off a cliff last season and his team got relegated before he was released. Krul is at a Championship club and is probably third choice even when fit and there seemingly was no other interest.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think the main difference of opinion is that Pears is average at this level. If he was a steady pair of hands then the debate would be different entirely.

Pears made so many mistakes last season, far more than average. 

You mention Ruddy, he fell off a cliff last season and his team got relegated before he was released. Krul is at a Championship club and is probably third choice even when fit and there seemingly was no other interest.

Krull would be a number one but he's under contract and nobody is paying a fee and good wages for a 37 year old.

19 minutes ago, rigger said:

Or, some of the keepers in the championship are not very good. And Pears is one of the not very good ones

He's better than Jake Kean was and about the same as Walton was here i'd say and very similar to Steele when he was at a similar stage of his career.

Although slightly higher on the goals gifted chart but he's not really unusual for a keeper in only his second full season as first choice.  Raya was gaff prone even when he went to Brentford but inbetween he was safe and often spectacular so someone without that level of ability is average at best and a liability at worst but he's still on a learning curve whether we like it or not.

18 hours ago, damo100 said:

I'm willing to stick my neck out and say he will.

Pears is bloody awful.

There is no way Pears gets dropped without some stinking performances. It’s his shirt to lose on the pitch. 

• Like 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He has already put in more than enough stinking performances to not still have the shirt to lose.

If it's  so obvious that Pears should be dropped, why are you so convinced that Eustace will play him next week? 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1