BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 14/9/2024

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

A lot of revisionism going on here to form the narrative, not aimed soley at you by the way but...

Burnley were all over us last Saturday early on and went a goal up which seems to have been erased from the memory and Pears didn't wilt, didn't cost us a goal and stood firm for the rest of the game doing his job when called upon.

Which obviously is the minimum you'd expect from a keeper but that's not always been the case with him so it's a positive he came through it. Whatever he nearly might have done is immaterial because he didn't throw any goals away and there is nothing but conjecture to say anyone else, Toth or otherwise would have performed any different.

I could understand the fierce arguments if we'd signed a proven Champ keeper, old Prem keeper or up and coming lge 1 keeper with 100 games under his belt in England.

We haven't, therefore it's just people clamouring for a look at the new lad a situation we were in last season.

His time will come.

Genuine question, do you actually go to live games?

4 minutes ago, damo100 said:

Genuine question, do you actually go to live games?

No i form all my opinions off highlights and reading on here.....🙄

Is it such an alien concept to try and back a player whilst still acknowledging that he isn't great ?

1 hour ago, KentExile said:

JRC spent the majority of his time at U21 level playing wide left cutting inside onto his right foot.  He did also feature in central midfield and wide right,  And I am pretty certain that before he joined Rovers, he was a centre forward and then centre back for Man Utd at academy level

There was part of one season where the U21s played 3 centre backs and he did play at right wing back during that period.

For me, JRC dies his best work centrally, whether that has been as an inverted full back in 22/23, or in the period at the beginning of last season (before the wheels fell off Rovers season) when he played in central midfield, with Hill at right back and Brittain wide right.  He has never had the pace to knock it past his full back and go down the outside to get a cross in, but his movement is excellent, and based on what he did as an inverted full back, there is no reason why he couldn't replicate that from a more advanced position (as Eustace has been trialing) if and when he is fully fit.

The problem is that we would need IMO pace on the opposite side to even give it a chance and our only pace is in the form of a right winger. I dont think that the balance of our squad suits this experiment 

I certainly think above all else that he should at least be the immediate competition for Brittain at right back over Duru. If the argument is that we want our right back to provide crosses for Gueye, not that I can remember one cross this season so far from him, then is Duru a natural for that specific task? He appears to be Nyambe like in that his strengths are physical, indeed he got past people a few times v Blackpool only to really struggle with the cross.

I get the logic somewhat of having him as a wide midfielder but I also feel like it benefitted him having space in front of him. Not the same type of player or situation but I remember Brett Emerton struggling as a winger but being a different player when put to right back.

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Is it such an alien concept to try and back a player whilst still acknowledging that he isn't great ?

Why does it always end up about "backing" a player? As long as he is backed in the stadium, which he is, if you think hes crap or think hes good, then saying on here doesnt determine whether you are backing him or not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

For me, it is not that Pears is, "not great". But in my opinion he is nowhere near a championship level keeper.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why does it always end up about "backing" a player? As long as he is backed in the stadium, which he is, if you think hes crap or think hes good, then saying on here doesnt determine whether you are backing him or not.

And for now on here i'm backing him yet because i refuse to say he should be flung out straight away for new new lad based on the goals he hasn't cost this season i'm getting bugged by the same few posters.

Just deal with it lads, in an ideal world he plays well enough we keep doing ok and someone fancies an English keeper with first team experience for a million quid or so in Jan.

Then Toth comes in and is better or at worst competent enough - which Pears is most of the time.

But we'll see how the gaffer rolls with it over the next few weeks.

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

For me, it is not that Pears is, "not great". But in my opinion he is nowhere near a championship level keeper.

That's where we disagree i think he's competent enough behind a decent defence but is obviously unforced error prone.

If he wasn't error prone he'd still only be average but there is always room for improvement over time yet if it was me i would've prioritised a good number 1 and spent on him.  

We haven't so here we are.

That's where i'm at.

If he selects Toth then fair enough i'm all in because he'll be doing it because he thinks it's the best move but if he starts Pears again i won't be having a meltdown because funnily enough we are unbeaten.

• Like 3

But we didnt chuck in the last one, he had been here over a month and had played a couple of cup games to ease himself in somewhat.

Just because he is from abroad doesnt mean that he will be another Wahlstedt. Kaminski was chucked in from the first game and was excellent. Toth is neither of those individuals, but the current keeper is proven to be inadequate.

Its an obvious "obsession" though because hes proven over a period of time that hes not good enough, and will make mistake after mistake.

We have to assume that we havent signed any old clown. If we have, because the alternative is Pears, it will massively hinder our chances.

• Like 1

Yes he’s crap, this fella may be even worse. We’ve no idea on here as nobody has ever seen him, just like the last lad.

Or he may not, let the manager judge, and if he’s happy to get him in. Great. Not sure why this is a remotely controversial view?

Edited by Mattyblue

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

The problem is that we would need IMO pace on the opposite side to even give it a chance and our only pace is in the form of a right winger. I dont think that the balance of our squad suits this experiment 

I certainly think above all else that he should at least be the immediate competition for Brittain at right back over Duru. If the argument is that we want our right back to provide crosses for Gueye, not that I can remember one cross this season so far from him, then is Duru a natural for that specific task? He appears to be Nyambe like in that his strengths are physical, indeed he got past people a few times v Blackpool only to really struggle with the cross.

I get the logic somewhat of having him as a wide midfielder but I also feel like it benefitted him having space in front of him. Not the same type of player or situation but I remember Brett Emerton struggling as a winger but being a different player when put to right back.

Cozier-Duberry is a left footed wide player as opposed to a winger.  He can play both sides.  Most of his highlights are when he has come in and curled one into the top corner, because these are obviously spectacular, but he is more than capable of stretching play from the left side if needed

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, booth said:

Be interested to know who was responsible for Wahlstedt and who was responsible for Toth.

Hopefully not the same person.

It did seem like Leo was Broughtons project from the bits we've heard.

Was it Nixon or someone who said the Egg wanted to give him 20  grand a week straight away because a few other clubs were sniffing around ?

I think Rudy has credited Benson with bringing Toth to the attention !

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, KentExile said:

Cozier-Duberry is a left footed wide player as opposed to a winger.  He can play both sides.  Most of his highlights are when he has come in and curled one into the top corner, because these are obviously spectacular, but he is more than capable of stretching play from the left side if needed

He said in his interview that he likes to play from the right, so I presume he would be less effective if moved left.

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He said in his interview that he likes to play from the right, so I presume he would be less effective if moved left.

He likes to play from the right, but he can play on the left.  As I said previously, he is more than capable of playing from the left if required.  I did not state that he preferred to play on the left.  Rankin-Costello has said numerous times that he prefers to play further forward rather than as a right back, but you have no problem stating that you would prefer to see him as a right back (I am not having a go, but players can & should l do what is required of them)

Given how Eustace likes to set up, I can see Cozier-Duberry playing more often on the right when Beck starts at left back, and on the left when Pickering starts at left back

In an ideal world *, another wide player would also have been signed (Godo would seem to be the one that got away)

* In a truly ideal world Rovers would have bought 2 wide players but hey ho

Edited by KentExile

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Duru looked very raw against Blackpool as seen when he got past someone, he didnt seem to know what to do next. Whereas we know that JRC is a good Championship standard right back in the here and now.

that was his debut and he did very well imo.don`t know what you expect from him tbh

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

that was his debut and he did very well imo.don`t know what you expect from him tbh

Im not having a go at him. Im saying that with JRC having shown that he is a player who performed very well at right back, I wouldnt understand the decision if Duru is at this stage higher than Rankin Costello in who is likely to play in that position.

Duru is a young lad, no rush. Also, if the argument is that Rankin Costello can only be effective in that position in Tomasson's tactics and we now need a better crosser there. Duru doesnt appear to fit the bill either, more of a physical and quick player.

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Its an obvious "obsession" though because hes proven over a period of time that hes not good enough, and will make mistake after mistake.

We have to assume that we havent signed any old clown. If we have, because the alternative is Pears, it will massively hinder our chances.

To me, it's s still a big contradiction to think Pears is so bad, yet think Eustace will pick him next Saturday. 

1 hour ago, M_B said:

To me, it's s still a big contradiction to think Pears is so bad, yet think Eustace will pick him next Saturday. 

Is this the case with all of the decisions he ever makes? I think JRC should be at least 2nd if not most likely 1st choice RB, Eustace wont play him there, for example. Is that also a big contradiction?

Its an easier choice to pick Pears. No one could potentially kick up a fuss, no one is dropped, Toth has been away with Hungary and he is a new signing. 

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is this the case with all of the decisions he ever makes? I think JRC should be at least 2nd if not most likely 1st choice RB, Eustace wont play him there, for example. Is that also a big contradiction?

Its an easier choice to pick Pears. No one could potentially kick up a fuss, no one is dropped, Toth has been away with Hungary and he is a new signing. 

No it isn't the case. If you're so against Pears playing, I don't see how you can think picking him is the easier decision. 

• Like 1