BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Bristol City (h) - 14/9/2024

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He said in his interview that he likes to play from the right, so I presume he would be less effective if moved left.

Eustace picks the team and not. He can play either side but like Hedges has done he has played wide left to get us better balance. the team comes first. 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not having a go at him. Im saying that with JRC having shown that he is a player who performed very well at right back, I wouldnt understand the decision if Duru is at this stage higher than Rankin Costello in who is likely to play in that position.

Duru is a young lad, no rush. Also, if the argument is that Rankin Costello can only be effective in that position in Tomasson's tactics and we now need a better crosser there. Duru doesnt appear to fit the bill either, more of a physical and quick player.

Have you ever thought that Eustace doesn't think JRC is suited to playing Right Back? 

Blimey, Give Duru some time to develop his game here and working with Eustace and his team will help him no end. He is young lad who I thought would be good enough to play back up to Brittain and so far he is looking he is. I thought he was good against Blackpool tbh. One of the better performances from the game 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Eustace picks the team and not. He can play either side but like Hedges has done he has played wide left to get us better balance. the team comes first. 

Have you ever thought that Eustace doesn't think JRC is suited to playing Right Back? 

Blimey, Give Duru some time to develop his game here and working with Eustace and his team will help him no end. He is young lad who I thought would be good enough to play back up to Brittain and so far he is looking he is. I thought he was good against Blackpool tbh. One of the better performances from the game 

He clearly doesnt think that JRC is suited to playing at right back and isnt considering him there. Thats the point. On this, I don't agree with Eustace. A novel concept I know.

Calling for me to give Duru some time shows that you havent read any of what I put about him.

I would have JRC as probably first or at least second choice RB. And that if specifically Eustace wants a right back who goes outside to cross to Gueye, I dont think Duru would be more suited stylistically to do that over JRC. And that because Duru is young, there is no rush with him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He clearly doesnt think that JRC is suited to playing at right back and isnt considering him there. Thats the point. On this, I don't agree with Eustace. A novel concept I know.

Calling for me to give Duru some time shows that you havent read any of what I put about him.

I would have JRC as probably first or at least second choice RB. And that if specifically Eustace wants a right back who goes outside to cross to Gueye, I dont think Duru would be more suited stylistically to do that over JRC. And that because Duru is young, there is no rush with him.

Firstly, I think we need JRC at his best in and around the box. As a right back he wouldn't be suited to provide the width. 

I have seen your comments. Thanks. Also no one is rushing Duru either but if Brittain is unavailable then I would pick Duru there. 

So from your comments, I take it you would pick JRC at right back over Brittain and Duru? Is this correct? 

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly, I think we need JRC at his best in and around the box. As a right back he wouldn't be suited to provide the width. 

I have seen your comments. Thanks. Also no one is rushing Duru either but if Brittain is unavailable then I would pick Duru there. 

So from your comments, I take it you would pick JRC at right back over Brittain and Duru? Is this correct? 

Yes, correct.

Based on that late sub last week, it seems that it is Brittain first choice, Duru 2nd choice, then I am unsure who is next. Especially when JRC has been dropped from playing out wide and down the pecking order in midfield, and considering his level of performance as a right back in the past, I find that very strange. It wasnt even as if JRC was playing elsewhere and would have had to be moved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Doesn't he consider JRC able to play RB?

I think he brought Duru on against Burnley because he has pace - which the Burnley winger had too and we know JRC doesn't (plus he'd had a mare midweek). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tomphil said:

No i form all my opinions off highlights and reading on here.....🙄

Is it such an alien concept to try and back a player whilst still acknowledging that he isn't great ?

What's not an alien concept is recognising a poor goalkeeper who fails to instill any confidence in both the players on the pitch and supporters in the stands. 

The sooner this new keeper starts the better for all concerned. 

This position was an absolute priority, should have signed well before the season started.

Edited by damo100

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Doesn't he consider JRC able to play RB?

I think he brought Duru on against Burnley because he has pace - which the Burnley winger had too and we know JRC doesn't (plus he'd had a mare midweek). 

Maybe I am reading too much into that particular sub, but I cant remember at any time under Eustace JRC even filling in briefly at RB.

8 hours ago, damo100 said:

What's not an alien concept is recognising a poor goalkeeper who fails to instill any confidence in both the players on the pitch and supporters in the stands. 

The sooner this new keeper starts the better for all concerned. 

This position was an absolute priority, should have signed well before the season started.

Whilst i agree on the last bit some at the club obviously don't.

Development club remember, Pears gets 100 plus championship games under his belt, stats probably in the average zone maybe a bit higher depending on how the team is doing, English, not that old best years for a keeper ahead.

He might be worth a million quid or so plus add ons and i'd suggest that's how they look at it, maybe not Eustace but the rest of them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Whilst i agree on the last bit some at the club obviously don't.

Development club remember, Pears gets 100 plus championship games under his belt, stats probably in the average zone maybe a bit higher depending on how the team is doing, English, not that old best years for a keeper ahead.

He might be worth a million quid or so plus add ons and i'd suggest that's how they look at it, maybe not Eustace but the rest of them.

They have spent nearly £1 million on the new goalkeeper,  so keep Pears in the side to make the money we spent on Toth back off a Pears sale? 

Pears wouldn't be a number 1 at any other Club.

We spent all summer being linked with goalkeepers that would have undoubtedly been number 1 here. Just because we haven't heard much about Toth doesn't mean he won't be number 1 going forward or that he will be poor like Whalstedt. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, islander200 said:

They have spent nearly £1 million on the new goalkeeper,  so keep Pears in the side to make the money we spent on Toth back off a Pears sale? 

Pears wouldn't be a number 1 at any other Club.

We spent all summer being linked with goalkeepers that would have undoubtedly been number 1 here. Just because we haven't heard much about Toth doesn't mean he won't be number 1 going forward or that he will be poor like Whalstedt. 

How many times do you need reminding that the exact same thing was said last year to try and justify Leo going straight in ?

He didn't they still wanted to get him up to speed he only ended up in clearly before he was ready because of Pears injury.

Eustace clearly wanted an upgraded instant number 1 but we could or wouldn't buy one so they've brought in someone to directly compete with Pears rather than instantly take over, imo of course.

The bits about Pears and development/sell still stand it's something i was told a year ago but that guy has gone now so maybe Eustace will do something different who knows.

He''s clearly no mug though so will probably want a good look at the new lad so you and the other triggered gang with have to bide your time, have some chamomile tea and get behind Ainsley FFS  😉

Edited by tomphil

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

JRC doesn’t have the pace or athleticism to play RB. He’s also not great defensively,  but then neither is Brittain, but at least Brittain is capable of getting up the wing and putting a cross in.

JRC is out of form and possibly still not properly fit. He lacks the sharpness he had when he was playing really well as a CM last season under both JDT and JE. 

I think the role JE has for JRC in the current set up is ideal for his skill set (RM who drops into space behind the strikers when we have the ball) but as said he’s out of form and/ or unfit so he was rightfully dropped against Dingles. 

Interesting side note about Brittain. After the Dingle game when asked about the goal we conceded, JE said the fault lay with us not stopping the cross into the box. That’s a real weakness of Brittain’s. I don’t think it’s any surprise that we were linked with a RB this summer. 

As for Duru, I’ve not seen enough to comment but he clearly has the pace to be effective going forward. If he can defend better than CB and JRC then I’d imagine he’ll be earmarked for the RB role within a year or two. The club probably wants him out on loan before that though to see how he progresses. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Yes, correct.

Based on that late sub last week, it seems that it is Brittain first choice, Duru 2nd choice, then I am unsure who is next. Especially when JRC has been dropped from playing out wide and down the pecking order in midfield, and considering his level of performance as a right back in the past, I find that very strange. It wasnt even as if JRC was playing elsewhere and would have had to be moved.

What you have failed to mentioned is JRC has been carrying an injury. 

I guess Carter or JRC could do if we need 3rd right back. 

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

How many times do you need reminding that the exact same thing was said last year to try and justify Leo going straight in ?

He didn't they still wanted to get him up to speed he only ended up in clearly before he was ready because of Pears injury.

Eustace clearly wanted an upgraded instant number 1 but we could or wouldn't buy one so they've brought in someone to directly compete with Pears rather than instantly take over, imo of course.

The bits about Pears and development/sell still stand it's something i was told a year ago but that guy has gone now so maybe Eustace will do something different who knows.

He''s clearly no mug though so will probably want a good look at the new lad so you and the other triggered gang with have to bide your time, have some chamomile tea and get behind Ainsley FFS  😉

Again Whalstedt was a shit goalkeeper.

Plenty of foreign goalkeepers have come over here, played almost straight away and done well

18 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Again Whalstedt was a shit goalkeeper.

Plenty of foreign goalkeepers have come over here, played almost straight away and done well

Toth may come straight in, who knows? But I'd suggest any chance of that happening all but disappeared with the start the team has made. 

Pickering or Beck?

Surprised this isn't also a raging argument.

While we are about it, does Lewis Baker get in the side?

And Cantwell, ACD, Hedges, Ohashi, Dolan, Sigurdsson, JRC, Weimann all to start with Tyjon off the bench when we have a cushion? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

What you have failed to mentioned is JRC has been carrying an injury. 

I guess Carter or JRC could do if we need 3rd right back. 

If he’s carrying an injury, it was pretty stupid to start him against Blackpool then.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, philipl said:

Pickering or Beck?

Surprised this isn't also a raging argument.

While we are about it, does Lewis Baker get in the side?

And Cantwell, ACD, Hedges, Ohashi, Dolan, Sigurdsson, JRC, Weimann all to start with Tyjon off the bench when we have a cushion? 

In a sense, the carabao-cup exit is disappointing. We have so many midfield and attacking options that could do with a start

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M_B said:

Toth may come straight in, who knows? But I'd suggest any chance of that happening all but disappeared with the start the team has made. 

So does that mean anyone who started in our wins that is fit should keep their place despite how they played individually? 

I'm sorry but i do not agree.If we had been keeping clean sheets and he looked solid fair enough  but  Pears has made mistakes in every league game so far and someone else in goal can't come quick enough for me. 

Do you think he would be a starting number 1 at any other club? 

Its clear that Eustace wants a new number 1, he didn't get his choice but I'm hoping this choice of Toth is much better than Whalstedt. 

I don't expect Toth to start v Bristol due to only being in the country a few days and then having to go away again but I expect him in soon as it is obvious Eustace doesn't particularly rate Pears like most the rest of us 

2 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

JRC doesn’t have the pace or athleticism to play RB. He’s also not great defensively,  but then neither is Brittain, but at least Brittain is capable of getting up the wing and putting a cross in.

JRC is out of form and possibly still not properly fit. He lacks the sharpness he had when he was playing really well as a CM last season under both JDT and JE. 

I think the role JE has for JRC in the current set up is ideal for his skill set (RM who drops into space behind the strikers when we have the ball) but as said he’s out of form and/ or unfit so he was rightfully dropped against Dingles. 

Interesting side note about Brittain. After the Dingle game when asked about the goal we conceded, JE said the fault lay with us not stopping the cross into the box. That’s a real weakness of Brittain’s. I don’t think it’s any surprise that we were linked with a RB this summer. 

As for Duru, I’ve not seen enough to comment but he clearly has the pace to be effective going forward. If he can defend better than CB and JRC then I’d imagine he’ll be earmarked for the RB role within a year or two. The club probably wants him out on loan before that though to see how he progresses. 

I suppose we could argue with JRC's lack of athleticism that it would hinder him wherever he is played.

But he showed over a period of time that he can be a very effective right back at this level, that was his only prolonged run of good form at senior level.

Agree on Brittain being poor at stopping crosses. I think personally that JRC was actually a lot better than I expected defensively when played at right back.

Duru looks from the smallest of sample sizes at senior level to be very athletic but not really sure what to do in the final third. He reminded me of Nyambe when he came through.

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

So does that mean anyone who started in our wins that is fit should keep their place despite how they played individually? 

I'm sorry but i do not agree.If we had been keeping clean sheets and he looked solid fair enough  but  Pears has made mistakes in every league game so far and someone else in goal can't come quick enough for me. 

Do you think he would be a starting number 1 at any other club? 

Its clear that Eustace wants a new number 1, he didn't get his choice but I'm hoping this choice of Toth is much better than Whalstedt. 

I don't expect Toth to start v Bristol due to only being in the country a few days and then having to go away again but I expect him in soon as it is obvious Eustace doesn't particularly rate Pears like most the rest of us 

Bit of a poor comparison,any keeper is more than capable of playing every game,where outfield players aren't. 

The only quotes I've seen from Eustace are regarding Pears needing competition. 

Would he be number one at any other club? No idea, but half the teams have conceded more goals if that's any indication. 

• Like 1

Looks like I will have to watch this the next day.  Almost 14.months ago my house burned down, the.Bristol.match we will finally be moving home, it has been a bonafide nightmare.  Be good to be home, hope I can afford it.

I just have to stay away from the score and log on very carefully for it to seem like live.  Tricky game this always feel we play poorly 1st game after a break.  Hoping for a strong win but gut tells me 1-1 or 2-1 to Bristol.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, M_B said:

Bit of a poor comparison,any keeper is more than capable of playing every game,where outfield players aren't. 

The only quotes I've seen from Eustace are regarding Pears needing competition. 

Would he be number one at any other club? No idea, but half the teams have conceded more goals if that's any indication. 

Don't need to see quotes. The goalkeepers we were being linked with most summer would have been number one....Rushworth, Travers,De lange etc.

The team have started well. I just don't think Pears has played well this start of the season, he has had moments of absolutely rubbish goalkeeping and only an unreal block by tronstad and a bit of luck against Burnley when he came out into no man's land we would have conceded at least 2 more goals this season 

I don't believe he would be number 1 at any other championship club.If he does lose his place to Toth  and decides he wants to leave as he should be a number 1, I don't see any club at this level or above buying him as a first choice goalkeeper .

• Like 1