BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v PNE (a) - 22/09/2024

26 minutes ago, GHR said:

Where does all that come from? One bloke in particular towards the back of the stand was keen on that and the 'There's hole in your trainers' haha

Mind you, not our brightest moment as a fanbase at the end shouting 'champions of England, you'll never sing that', at the team whose only real claim to fame is the being the first ever champions of England... at least they've never been in the Premier League, when 'even fucking Wigan have'. That made me laugh.

none of them alive today can sing it and the nobbers once got described as the scruffiest fan base. 

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A really disappointing performance yesterday where we really struggled to create anything of note despite having an extra man for half of the game.

I thought that Eustace got his team selection wrong by again playing Baker on the left. None of our attacking players came out of the game with any credit, Hedges isnt good enough to be a regular starter, Dolan again flattered to deceive and Ohashi couldnt get involved. Off the bench, Gueye was poor with a few poor touches and needless offsides and Cantwell doesnt look anywhere near fit. Cozier Duberry seems reluctant to take on his full back instead preferring to turn back and play a safe pass.

So no praise for the clean sheet?

solid defending from the team from open play? What did PNE created from open play? 

Yes, attacking wise we were off it sadly but PNE did the same job on us that we did to the Dingles a few weeks beforehand. No praise for PNE for that? 

• Downvote 1

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

solid defending from the team from open play? What did PNE created from open play? 

Yes, attacking wise we were off it sadly but PNE did the same job on us that we did to the Dingles a few weeks beforehand. No praise for PNE for that? 

only praise I will give nobbers is at least you could hear and tell what the pa announcer was saying unlike at ewood

8 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

He made some good saves but we lost any chance of going for a counter attack because of his constant dithering allowing the Nobbers to regroup.

When you're playing on the counter, turning defence into attack as quickly as possible is absolutely key.

One of the problem from yesterday may well have been we were "playing on the counter" against 10 men.

The second half felt dismal. We should have been camped in their half probing to find a way through.

Cantwell and ACD's introduction was way too late. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

Any positives?

Not many, no. Considering we struggled to create a meaningful chance all game against a side with 10 men for more than half of it. Was a poor performance.

Obviously we didnt lose so thats one, but its hardly a badge of honour with a man advantage. A frustrating day.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

More than us despite having 10 men for more than half of the game.

Was just a poor quality game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

I think people have already lost sight of the fact we have an average Championship squad that that has had very little investment over the last couple of years.

When Dolan and hedges are your main creative outlets and they are having bad games, you’re going to struggle. 

Some realism.

Dolan is a one-in-ten player. He was very good last week, but was really poor again yesterday, even by his standards. At times, his close control is non-existant, he doesn't seem to get the ball under control, giving the opponent half a chance to nick it.

Hedges is such a limited footballer. He's passable when shoring up one side of the pitch in front of the full back, but offensively he offers nothing.

Edited by Wheelton Blue
  • Like 4

Didnt watch the game, but not a great result given they had 10 men for so long, and a turgid performance by the sound of it. However, not loosing away from home is a good habit. We'd have lost games away to Preston not long ago.

This all rests on winning your home games.

Not sure why he played a CM on the left wing again. All the build up had been that Preston struggled with pace, and we left it on the bench (not that there is much!). 

3 minutes ago, benhben said:

Didnt watch the game, but not a great result given they had 10 men for so long, and a turgid performance by the sound of it. However, not loosing away from home is a good habit. We'd have lost games away to Preston not long ago.

Not sure why he played a CM on the left wing again. All the build up had been that Preston struggled with pace, and we left it on the bench (not that there is much!). 

Was an interesting game to watch. Definitely on paper can see why you would say that. Never easy playing against 10. We didn't lose away from home...didn't concede.

Could have been worse but also we could have played with gueye up top to start against their defence and used him more

Edited by NeilInBristol
Typo

4 minutes ago, benhben said:

Haven't lost there since 2019!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

After sleeping on it I think it was a naive performance from us and Eustace particularly when they went down to ten men. Their game plan from then was to slow the game down and we enabled them to do this with low intensity play and players wanting too many touches on the ball. With an extra man we hardly moved their midfield and defence around and allowed them to stay in their shape. With hindsight we might have had a better chance of winning had they had eleven. And the naivety continued with the concession of lots of free kicks for them for silly challenges by our players. Some were soft granted but giving the excitable referee a decision to make helped them slow the game right down and stopped any flow or momentum from us.

A frustrating day but the unbeaten run continues and the display gives Eustace and his staff something to work on this week.

A comment I overheard walking off yesterday was 'our game management was really poor'.

Summed it up to a tee, I thought, both on and off the pitch.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

More than us despite having 10 men for more than half of the game.

Was just a poor quality game.

Like I said like we did to Burnley a few weeks ago is exactly what PNE did to us. Their chances came from set pieces. Our didn't against Burnley. 

So no praise for clean sheet and Pears making some good saves and we remaining unbeaten in our opening 6 games? 

13 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

A comment I overheard walking off yesterday was 'our game management was really poor'.

Summed it up to a tee, I thought, both on and off the pitch.

Yep that's nailed it. On the other hand Nobbers game management was good but at times it was aided by us.

• Like 3

We really need to get Cantwell up to speed quickly but it's a catch 22 situation. I really hope something BCD is arranged this week to improve his match fitness. If there isn't I think it might be some time before he actually starts.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We really need to get Cantwell up to speed quickly but it's a catch 22 situation. I really hope something BCD is arranged this week to improve his match fitness. If there isn't I think it might be some time before he actually starts.

Good thing is that he has quality and experience..he will come good.. matter of when not if. Ideally sooner than later but it's a long season ahead 

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

Pears can’t catch a break, he was easily our best player.

He made some really good saves to be fair. But my god his kicking was poor

And I am not talking about kicking the ball like Ederson. I just mean in actual distance he kicked the ball. It was a bit sunday league at times

Not convinced in him at all

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

He made some really good saves to be fair. But my god his kicking was poor

And I am not talking about kicking the ball like Ederson. I just mean in actual distance he kicked the ball. It was a bit sunday league at times

Not convinced in him at all

Yeh I don't think he was our "best player" either.

Definitely his kicking game was off and not sure he plays that game well. He's definitely more of a passer than a long distance. Hopefully he keeps on the run of clean sheets. Anyone know his record so far? He's currently on 2..

4 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

Yeh I don't think he was our "best player" either.

Definitely his kicking game was off and not sure he plays that game well. He's definitely more of a passer than a long distance. Hopefully he keeps on the run of clean sheets. Anyone know his record so far? He's currently on 2..

Who was our best player if not Pears?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

For me? Batth

Played well. Cleared well. Managed our box well.

Pears did have some great saves for sure

I thought his distribution was shite and he looked very slow on the turn. He won headers and was solid enough but he didn’t impact the game like Pears did. 

• Like 2

Just now, Miller11 said:

Couple of PNE fans I’ve spoken to where impressed with Travis

Yeh Trav did well too. And tronstad especially considering his yellow. 

Pears man of the match is a big call. He did his job. Did he do exceptional? I don't think so.. he did better than we expected though 

• Like 1