BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v PNE (a) - 22/09/2024

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A myth that is sometimes peddled is that its more difficult to play against 10 men.

If you have an extra player for a significant period of time, you have such a big advantage. If you fail to capitalise, especially not creating a chance of note then it has to be a huge disappointment.

On the flip side, we had 10 men against Burnley for half an hour and did very well to keep them at bay, again with minimal chances created.

A lot depends on the circumstances. If the scores are level or the team going down to 10 men are winning at the time it’s a lot easier to play with 10 men than if that team is-losing and need to get back into the game.

21 hours ago, arbitro said:

It would mean for me that he has got away with a vile act and there hasn't been a deterrent. The worry for me now is that nothing has been said either way. 

Yes---gone awfully quiet. Do they expect us to forget?

That was a criminal act and the fact it took place on a football field is not a mitigating factor.

18 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

So were we disappointing against PNE, and did well against Burnley, or did PNE do well against us, and Burnley were disappointing against us?

Both are true, but I am speaking from a Rovers perspective.

It isnt a given that 10 men will lose to 11 men, and it does have challenges. You wont be able to counter on them because it will become attack v defence and an exercise to try and break them down. And it might create a bit of a seige mentality. But to not even create a decent chance in 45 minutes with a man advantage, never mind score is poor.

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A myth that is sometimes peddled is that its more difficult to play against 10 men.

If you have an extra player for a significant period of time, you have such a big advantage. If you fail to capitalise, especially not creating a chance of note then it has to be a huge disappointment.

On the flip side, we had 10 men against Burnley for half an hour and did very well to keep them at bay, again with minimal chances created.

I think the point of the article is to explain that it's not a myth. Read the article?🤷

25 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

So were we disappointing against PNE, and did well against Burnley, or did PNE do well against us, and Burnley were disappointing against us?

Haha exactly! I think unbeaten in both instances= good result in the end with the context at play. 

Sure on paper playing against 10men We " should win" is an argument but we didnt create enough decent chances.

We also didn't concede and others have argued that Pears was MOTM suggesting we could have even lost against PNE with chances they had compared to our front line.

Edited by NeilInBristol
Typo

• Herbie6590 changed the title to v PNE (a) - 22/09/2024
23 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

I think the point of the article is to explain that it's not a myth. Read the article?🤷

It proves that statistically it is less of a hindrace than it used to be. Some examples given are of big teams who are superior to their opposition.

But it is still objectively beneficial to have an extra man, it just isnt quite as statistically advantageous as it used to be.

The cliche you sometimes hear on commentary (or at least used to) is that it is harder to play against 10 men. It isnt, it cant be.

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Yes---gone awfully quiet. Do they expect us to forget?

That was a criminal act and the fact it took place on a football field is not a mitigating factor.

https://talksport.com/football/2081077/simon-jordan-mike-tyson-osmajic-beck-bite-liverpool/amp/

Now, people calling for a season's ban, I don't think there's any precedent for that, but I do think the guy needs to have the book thrown at him.”

I don't think anyone has forgotten! EFL and FA take their sweet time but the media will add pressure. Great article 

Regarding playing against ten men, it's not black and white.

Absolutely a ten man team gets clarity of the task at hand, the benefit of a siege mentality and potential perceived injustice of the decision. 

But, you would expect a backs to the wall, desperate defensive effort and that's not what happened. We were shit, to put it bluntly, so yes, I'm disappointed, despite the above.

42 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

https://talksport.com/football/2081077/simon-jordan-mike-tyson-osmajic-beck-bite-liverpool/amp/

Now, people calling for a season's ban, I don't think there's any precedent for that, but I do think the guy needs to have the book thrown at him.”

I don't think anyone has forgotten! EFL and FA take their sweet time but the media will add pressure. Great article 

I honestly don't know what the delay can be. There aren't even reports that he has been charged yet despite them having enough evidence from the footage and stills.

I can't believe it's dragging on this long. The FA actually hate us don't they? (not that any sanctions have a direct impact on us) You can bet your life that if it was the other way round, our player would've been charged by 9:10 on Monday morning.

It just seems strange to me that there's been nothing said either way. How long do you need to look at a few videos, photos & read a couple of reports on it to decide yay or nay? (rhetorical question btw as this is the FA we're talking about!)

Everyone in the world with half a braincell, at least one good eye and are not the most stubborn & stupid PNE fanatic can see he's guilty. Ok , you can't see his teeth actually chomping down, but if CCTV is used in a stabbing case, you don't usually see the knife going in for the evidence to be damning. What's the phrase they use, is it 'balance of probabilities' or something?

At this rate, the bloke will be lining up for Nobbers on Sat, surely that can't be right!

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

It’s not a myth just because you say it is. If a team is down to ten men and have something to defend they will make it difficult for the opposition. Teams actually train for such scenarios, playing 10v11. 

if a team is already losing then it makes it very difficult as they have to try and chase the game. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Presumably if he has until Monday to respond he will be able to play on Saturday? Should be interesting if he does, away at Millwall.

If they accept his guilt they could respond today or tomorrow. I honestly can't see why they would wait until Monday in the face of overwhelming evidence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

I honestly don't know what the delay can be. There aren't even reports that he has been charged yet despite them having enough evidence from the footage and stills.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24611651.milutin-osmajic-charged-fa-blackburn-rovers-bite/

News just announced 

• Backroom

Don’t think PNE would risk the wrath of the EFL by playing him at the wknd? Imagine the furore if they played him and he then got a ten-game ban?

Millwall would rightly have case to say PNE were fielding a player that should be ineligible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

It’s not a myth just because you say it is. If a team is down to ten men and have something to defend they will make it difficult for the opposition. Teams actually train for such scenarios, playing 10v11. 

if a team is already losing then it makes it very difficult as they have to try and chase the game. 

It is a myth that it is HARDER than against 11.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It is a myth that it is HARDER than against 11.

That depends on the context of the match, and how the team with 10 men choose to play. Arsenal defended their own 18 yard box against Citeh the other day with 10 men for 50 mins and Citeh didn’t have a clue how to break them down….until Arsenal went to sleep on a corner in the 97th minute.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Don’t think PNE would risk the wrath of the EFL by playing him at the wknd? Imagine the furore if they played him and he then got a ten-game ban?

Millwall would rightly have case to say PNE were fielding a player that should be ineligible.

I think it’s only at meal time kick offs that he gets triggered. He should be safe to play against at 3pm.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

I think it’s only at meal time kick offs that he gets triggered. He should be safe to play against at 3pm.

Imagine they start him this weekend. The game is getting feisty. He lunges in for a tackle, gets a red and then bites the ref... Another 10game ban ?!

14 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

I've read that garlic sales have gone through the roof in Bermodsey just in case he is playing. And the Millwall players will bathe in holy water before the game. However reports of stakes being bought is thought to be wide of the mark.

😂