BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry City (a) - 1/10/2024

As others have posted, only debate is around the offensive four.

Given Coventry's poor start, we need a fast, positive start and for that reason, I would start Cantwell and when he tires he can be withdrawn with Rovers, hopefully, in the ascendancy and a goal or two to the good.  Would also start Gueye for his physical presence and menace and look for the others to capitalise.

My offensive four: Weimann, Cantwell, Dolan / Gueye.

Gut feeling is it will be a draw to keep our unbeaten run going.

• Like 3

I fail to see what Hedges has offered so far. He's fairly diligent I guess but he's not an athlete, he's not a technician or a goal threat.

I'd like to see Cantwell unleashed - is he ready for 60 mins yet? Dolan and Weimann alongside him behind Guaye is what I'd go for and would like to see.

As others have said everyone behind the top 4 pick themselves. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Eustace will start him. 

I would have started him if this was weekend game. 

Think Cozier-Duberry's pace on the counter is needed

Agree that Cozier- Duberry would be a better choice to offer pace.

I also fear you are right that Eustace will go with Hedges. He seems to like him but hes not very good. Hopefully once our new signings get fit enough, Hedges will fall to a squad player with occasional cameos.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

As others have posted, only debate is around the offensive four.

Given Coventry's poor start, we need a fast, positive start and for that reason, I would start Cantwell and when he tires he can be withdrawn with Rovers, hopefully, in the ascendancy and a goal or two to the good.  Would also start Gueye for his physical presence and menace and look for the others to capitalise.

My offensive four: Weimann, Cantwell, Dolan / Gueye.

Gut feeling is it will be a draw to keep our unbeaten run going.

Sorry Mercer we don’t have “offensive” players in this country. It’s a US term . Attackers please

I’d like to see a more attacking starting team too. Coventry’s confidence must be fairly low so the plan must be to hit them hard early and grab a couple of goals

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why? What about him makes you so keen?

Dolan I get, was good yesterday. Hedges wasn't and is so poor in attack.

He's the obvious choice to start the game, especially if Pickering is any doubt like yesterday. He offers flexibility as the game goes on. 

I'd say that Coventry away is no place to be giving Cozier-Duberry his first start,even more so with the problems at full back. 

We've been debating the fact that Hedges seems to be one of the first names on the sheet for Eustace where I sit in the Riverside (consensus is that he's not good enough, particularly when played on the right and having to cut inside constantly) and I can only think that he gives us some height in the attacking unit? 

29 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Agree that Cozier- Duberry would be a better choice to offer pace.

I also fear you are right that Eustace will go with Hedges. He seems to like him but hes not very good. Hopefully once our new signings get fit enough, Hedges will fall to a squad player with occasional cameos.

I don't agree that Hedges isn't very good, I rated him and he offers loads. 

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why? What about him makes you so keen?

Dolan I get, was good yesterday. Hedges wasn't and is so poor in attack.

Hedges was very good at left back and he offered much more and outlet from there which we lack first half

33 minutes ago, M_B said:

He's the obvious choice to start the game, especially if Pickering is any doubt like yesterday. He offers flexibility as the game goes on. 

I'd say that Coventry away is no place to be giving Cozier-Duberry his first start,even more so with the problems at full back. 

Flexibility seems the only reason why he is the "obvious choice." But surely more reason to keep him in reserve for such an eventuality.

Coventry are struggling and we are away so could do with pace on the counter. Seems like the perfect place. 

12 minutes ago, SpaceBarSlam said:

We've been debating the fact that Hedges seems to be one of the first names on the sheet for Eustace where I sit in the Riverside (consensus is that he's not good enough, particularly when played on the right and having to cut inside constantly) and I can only think that he gives us some height in the attacking unit? 

Has he ever won a header?

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't agree that Hedges isn't very good, I rated him and he offers loads. 

Hedges was very good at left back and he offered much more and outlet from there which we lack first half

Offers loads? Such as?

Tries hard, not much from an attacking sense. 

At left back, he got forward but I wouldnt say he did much productive. A shot into the side netting and one out for a throw in.

• Like 1

For me it's Gueye to lead the attack. More presence and hold up play than Ohashi and he seems to play better when starting rather than having to adjust to a game already underway. I think Cantwell coming on at half time was ideal for that same reason, yesterday. Allowed him to start as the opponents restarted.

Unsure of whether to start Cantwell away from home against Coventry although that could be based on their reputation more than anything. He ducked a header and despite doing a lot of busy looking running back he didn't any actual defensive challenges in and we could need that midweek. If he thinks he can get 60 minutes out of him then I'd want him in the hole rather than shirking defensive responsibilities, with Dolan out wide (despite Dolan being better in the middle he does at least track back these days). I wouldn't want to drop Dolan right now but that'd be the way I'd fit Cantwell in.

As it's an away game I'd stick with Hedges for his defensive work but be looking to make subs of Weimann, Ohashi and Cozier-Duberry for an impact, no matter the scoreline.

So providing no injuries that's the same keeper, back four and CMs with

Hedges Cantwell Dolan

Gueye

It's not ideal but it's what I'd do

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Flexibility seems the only reason why he is the "obvious choice." But surely more reason to keep him in reserve for such an eventuality.

Coventry are struggling and we are away so could do with pace on the counter. Seems like the perfect place. 

I would have pick Hedges for this game if it was on a Saturday but we have managed his minutes and we don't want him injured again

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Has he ever won a header?

Watch the games and you would know the answer to your own question. 

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Offers loads? Such as?

Tries hard, not much from an attacking sense. 

At left back, he got forward but I wouldn't say he did much productive. A shot into the side netting and one out for a throw in.

A goal threat, works hard and Maybe you have forgotten his goal at Watford last season. 

He had a very good game from the left back and provided an option. 

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Coventry away, when we've trouble at both full backs, seems like the least perfect place to blood a young winger to me. 

• Like 1

People seem to be misunderstanding Duberry's use as a counter attacker given that would mean he'd be spending much of that time in defensive positions. Hedges is a much better player to use as a counter attacker unless you're already losing. We would already have Gueye or Ohashi up top and Dolan looking to break. I don't think we could afford Duberry as well if we were playing counter, there's not enough defensive players in there for it.

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would have pick Hedges for this game if it was on a Saturday but we have managed his minutes and we don't want him injured again

A goal threat, works hard and Maybe you have forgotten his goal at Watford last season. 

How long is he going to dine out on that goal at Watford for ?  What about the howler he missed at Leicester in the Cup and the least said about Preston away the better.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He is certainly not a threat in the air. So if that is justifying his selection, its bizarre.

A goal threat? He is living off one excellent goal a year ago, Aaron Mokoena once scored a screamer but he wasnt a goalscoring midfielder.  Hedges has 7 goals in 79 appearances so he isnt a goal threat, he scores very occasionally. He does work hard, but not enough to warrant a place in an attacking position alone. Thats my issue, he doesnt do enough from an attacking sense.

53 minutes ago, M_B said:

Coventry away, when we've trouble at both full backs, seems like the least perfect place to blood a young winger to me. 

Its a game at a side who are in poor form and when we are doing well and are builtu on a defence that has conceded 2 in 5. Surely away from home with loads of space to run into and with an alternative in Hedges who has not really done anything in the last few games, it is a good opportunity to make a change.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He is certainly not a threat in the air. So if that is justifying his selection, its bizarre.

A goal threat? He is living off one excellent goal a year ago, Aaron Mokoena once scored a screamer but he wasnt a goalscoring midfielder.  Hedges has 7 goals in 79 appearances so he isnt a goal threat, he scores very occasionally. He does work hard, but not enough to warrant a place in an attacking position alone. Thats my issue, he doesnt do enough from an attacking sense.

so what is your first choice front 4 then?