BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry City (a) - 1/10/2024

2 hours ago, damo100 said:

Chatting with a Coventry friend who said many Cov fans are not looking forward to this game, some say they ain't going due to Coventry being so awful.

Is this the classic Rovers banana skin?

Definitely. An absolute classic of the genre. Especially since it's against Coventry who I have literally never seen us beat, with my first ever game at Ewood being the 2-1 FA cup loss in 97.

On Hedges, I think a big reason why Eustace keeps him in the team is his physicality. On the ball I think he's a bit of a plodder, but he has the size and engine to get up and down the pitch a lot easier than our other options there who are all well under six foot. I think when Cantwell gets up to speed then he'll start on the left and drift inside, with Hedges struggling to start.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Agree that Cozier- Duberry would be a better choice to offer pace.

I also fear you are right that Eustace will go with Hedges. He seems to like him but hes not very good. Hopefully once our new signings get fit enough, Hedges will fall to a squad player with occasional cameos.

I do not get where you think that ADC has pace. I have not seen him produce it.

End of the day if you want to improve and actually achieve something in this game then you have to be constantly looking to upgrade your first XI - something BRFC hasn’t looked particularly arsed about doing for about 14 years now.

Hedges has done a decent job, but if he is to be replaced in the side by Cantwell then that’s just football’s natural selection. Doesn’t mean RH won’t still have a part to play over the season.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Ah is Hedges the new villain?

We have been here before. Szmodics was a waste of money, JRC couldn’t play football etc etc

Some people never learn

Hedges has been ever present this season for a side that finds itself near the top. If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. He scored a great goal against Norwich and is quite a clever player. There’s a reason Eustace likes him 

We haven’t got any “ villains “ we just have some players that are better than others. 
There’s nobody at the club I have a downer on. I’m not a big Hedges fan, certainly not as a starter. He’s what I call a “ bits and pieces “ player. He can run a bit, pass it a bit, put the occasional tackle in, score the odd goal, win headers from time to time, put in a dribble now and again. But he’s not outstanding at any facet of the game. Plus for a big guy he’s not particularly robust or physical.

He’s playing regularly now because options are limited. He’s not a top 6 side player.  I anticipate him being a regular starter from the bench in the future because he can play in several positions.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

He is certainly not a threat in the air. So if that is justifying his selection, its bizarre.

A goal threat? He is living off one excellent goal a year ago, Aaron Mokoena once scored a screamer but he wasnt a goalscoring midfielder.  Hedges has 7 goals in 79 appearances so he isnt a goal threat, he scores very occasionally. He does work hard, but not enough to warrant a place in an attacking position alone. Thats my issue, he doesnt do enough from an attacking sense.

Its a game at a side who are in poor form and when we are doing well and are builtu on a defence that has conceded 2 in 5. Surely away from home with loads of space to run into and with an alternative in Hedges who has not really done anything in the last few games, it is a good opportunity to make a change.

You're trying to convince the wrong person, it isn't me picking the team.

I would say though, that Hedges has been a regular in one of 2 teams that haven't  yet lost. Why anyone would change it in favour of giving a young winger his debut, away at Coventry when we've full back trouble doesn't really seem logical to me. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

so what is your first choice front 4 then?

Definitely Cantwell, I would like to see Cozier Duberry given a run. Dolan probably from the left. Most difficult choice perhaps is up top, I would give Gueye a start midweek but Ohashi based on the first 7 games as a whole would be ahead due to his goals.

29 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

We have been here before. Szmodics was a waste of money, JRC couldn’t play football etc etc

Some people never learn

Hedges has been ever present this season for a side that finds itself near the top. If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it. He scored a great goal against Norwich and is quite a clever player. There’s a reason Eustace likes him 

Do we need this sort of drivel as if he has become some sort of unfair scapegoat/villain. And do we have to rate every single player equally? And withold all opinion in case that player pleasantly surprises us and becomes integral to the team?

Every team will have a player in it whereby one or two players in particular are perhaps the weakest/the first areas of potential further improvement. Obviously hes not totally devoid of any ability to the point where he isnt capable of doing something good. But he doesnt offer enough to justify repeated selection especially with new signings in similar positions now getting closer to being fit to start games.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Definitely Cantwell, I would like to see Cozier Duberry given a run. Dolan probably from the left. Most difficult choice perhaps is up top, I would give Gueye a start midweek but Ohashi based on the first 7 games as a whole would be ahead due to his goals.

Do we need this sort of drivel as if he has become some sort of unfair scapegoat/villain. And do we have to rate every single player equally? And withold all opinion in case that player pleasantly surprises us and becomes integral to the team?

Every team will have a player in it whereby one or two players in particular are perhaps the weakest/the first areas of potential further improvement. Obviously hes not totally devoid of any ability to the point where he isnt capable of doing something good. But he doesnt offer enough to justify repeated selection especially with new signings in similar positions now getting closer to being fit to start games.

If I had to put it into a sentence it would be - “ He doesn’t do enough often enough for me “.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, M_B said:

You're trying to convince the wrong person, it isn't me picking the team.

I would say though, that Hedges has been a regular in one of 2 teams that haven't  yet lost. Why anyone would change it in favour of giving a young winger his debut, away at Coventry when we've full back trouble doesn't really seem logical to me. 

The Axe put in one of the best passes I’ve ever seen at Ewood Park but normally it was a 10 yard pass to somebody better. This was a diagonal 75 yard ball from the edge of our penalty area right into Pedersen’s stride on the edge of our opponents penalty area, inch perfect, Tugayesque.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would have pick Hedges for this game if it was on a Saturday but we have managed his minutes and we don't want him injured again

Watch the games and you would know the answer to your own question. 

A goal threat, works hard and Maybe you have forgotten his goal at Watford last season. 

He had a very good game from the left back and provided an option. 

Hedges averages a goal every ten games for Rovers, and that’s from a player that is supposed to be one of our main attacking threats. 

He works hard, is a tidy footballer and provides a lot of defensive cover for the full back. But he isn’t a goal threat in the slightest. 

He’ll now score at least one at Coventry. You’re welcome. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Some people never learn

Always enjoyable when someone strides in to a good natured debate about the players in our squad with a holier-than-thou scolding.

Give over. Hedges is clearly one of the least effective first team players. No-one is casting him as a villain.

• Like 7

Pears

Carter   Batth.  Hyam.  Pickering 

Travis.   Sonny

Weimann     Dolan.     Hedges

Mak

Subs - Toth, Brittain, Mcfadz, Buckley, JRC, Baker, Cantwell, ACD, Ohashi

Cov 1 - 2 Rovers.

The back six pick themselves as long as everyone is fit after Saturday.

I think Big Mak is due a start and we may freshen up one of the three attacking midfielders depending on tiredness and any niggles, but all being well, I reckon we’ll start like this.

• Like 2

We are 3rd from top.

3 months ago I would have been relieved at not being 3rd from bottom on 30th September.

Hedges is a really solid performer and even gives us cover at left wb when Beck is suspended and Pickering not 100% fit.

It shows how far we have come so fast that totally adequate performances from Hedges have attracted the ire on here.

We are at a level now that solidly ok is no longer good enough and that is hugely encouraging.

We have no idea who got a kicking and soldiered through on Saturday.

When fit and not suspended, Rovers now have two complete first elevens inside our squad who would be capable of winning against most Championship clubs.

Eustace has said he will use all his squad so the only predictable is there will be at least one unexpected selection tomorrow night.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, philipl said:

We are 3rd from top.

3 months ago I would have been relieved at not being 3rd from bottom on 30th September.

Hedges is a really solid performer and even gives us cover at left wb when Beck is suspended and Pickering not 100% fit.

It shows how far we have come so fast that totally adequate performances from Hedges have attracted the ire on here.

We are at a level now that solidly ok is no longer good enough and that is hugely encouraging.

We have no idea who got a kicking and soldiered through on Saturday.

When fit and not suspended, Rovers now have two complete first elevens inside our squad who would be capable of winning against most Championship clubs.

Eustace has said he will use all his squad so the only predictable is there will be at least one unexpected selection tomorrow night.

I like the idea of Hedges at left back with Hyam, Batth and Carter next to him. In my opinion, he’s physically and technically better suited to Lb than midfield. Plus, him pushing into midfield when we’re in possession will free up the left side attacking player (A certain Mr Cantwell) to roam…I would start him at LB over Pickering when Carter is on the right.

I saw that Trav is now one booking away from a suspension. Be good to have him for the next two away games before he serves his one game ban. Carter is only two away…

Be hard to guess the team for Tuesday, most ‘surprise’ changes will be related to niggles and injuries, is my guess. My one hope is that he gives Mak a start. We look better with his physical presence up front and he needs a confidence boost. 

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 3

Surprised to see Cov have only won 1 of their first 7 fixtures and are near the bottom. Early days but had then down for a play off spot. Robins has done a really good job there so not sure what is going wrong for them this season? 

Hopefully their poor form continues tomorrow…

Always a tricky place for us to go Cov.

Our last league win in Coventry was August 1992, with only a league cup win and a win against them at St Andrews since.

Personally think we're looking at another tight draw, with the potential to nick it. I don't think we'll lose.

7 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Pears

Carter   Batth.  Hyam.  Pickering 

Travis.   Sonny

Weimann     Dolan.     Hedges

Mak

Subs - Toth, Brittain, Mcfadz, Buckley, JRC, Baker, Cantwell, ACD, Ohashi

Cov 1 - 2 Rovers.

The back six pick themselves as long as everyone is fit after Saturday.

I think Big Mak is due a start and we may freshen up one of the three attacking midfielders depending on tiredness and any niggles, but all being well, I reckon we’ll start like this.

With the possible exception of Weimann I’d expect that to be our starting line up.

• Like 1

This is going to be a tough couple of away games.

We are flattered by our league position (in my opinion) as we have only played 1 of the current top 10, and that was Burnley.

Hopefully we can get Cantwell bedded in sooner rather than later and he gives us a bit of consistency.

On 29/09/2024 at 11:48, roversfan99 said:

I think the back 4 and keeper isnt necessarily our best combination but considering our recent record and with Beck out, those 5 and the 2 midfielders pick themselves.

Its the front 4 that has the most questions. Hedges deserves dropping and its hard to pick which striker to choose.

Pears

Carter Batth Hyam Pickering

Tronstad Travis

Cozier Duberry Cantwell Dolan

Gueye

Subs: Toth, McFadzean, Brittain, JRC, Baker, Ohashi, Sigurdsson, Weimann, Buckley

Beaming at that subs list! They could all start and we'd still be competitive.

I suppose the there are two main questions about tomorrow's team.

1) Who plays LB if Pickering isn't fit enough to play. Presume he would stick with Hedges or maybe Brittain if has recovered.

2) Does Cantwell start. ? My feeling is he will be on the bench again

Just a heads up for anyone still wanting to buy tickets......

The option to buy and collect from the ground is no longer an option on line, only collection from Ewood.

Ticket office have said that they're only allowed to send 50 sets of tickets for collection to Coventry!!

So they've posted me out some tickets and if they don't arrive tomorrow then they can arrange for duplicates to be collected from Coventry, which apparently don't count towards the 50.....??

Oh, and Coventry won't allow sales on the day. Didn't realise they were in a position to make it as difficult as possible for fans to give them some money...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Drivel? You expend an awful lot of posts defending posters (yours) rights to an opinion. Maybe afford that same privilege

There's been a couple of posts now where it has been said that Hedges is just not very good. He doesn't score, can't head, can't take a man on, is slow etc etc. Yet he has been ever present in a side sat 3rd in the table and unbeaten

In this respect, it seems like he is being cast as a bit of a villain. We can talk about wanting to improve but at the moment we can't. There's no transfer window. You have to piss with the willy you have. I am not convinced that dropping the ever present and industrious winger for an unknown loanee is the best idea. Especially going away to a side like Coventry who, for their bad start, are still a side capable of troubling us

Football fans enjoy having something to moan about, clearly. Hedges just seems like the new thing to moan about. Unfairly too, I may add. In 7 games he has a goal and an assist

You don't have to rate every player equally but when you put an opinion on here you are agreeing it can be challenged. Why is it drivel to say it looks as though he is being cast as a villain when posters are again reading you call another player rubbish (just like JRC, just like Szmodics, just like Brereton) when we are sat 3rd and look a bloody organised and good team?

For what it is worth, if we can find a left winger that offers what Hedges does with a better injury record and better goal/assist return, then I would be more than happy for us to go sign them. Atm, in September, sat 3rd, I don't agree with dropping him for a loanee and don't agree that he is as poor as he is being cast. Call that drivel if you want

11 hours ago, London blue said:

Always enjoyable when someone strides in to a good natured debate about the players in our squad with a holier-than-thou scolding.

Give over. Hedges is clearly one of the least effective first team players. No-one is casting him as a villain.

Is he?

I'd say the least effective player has been Pickering. In the games he hasn't played we have looked better defensively. The clean sheet against Bristol & PNE. Then when substituted against QPR we looked far better, albeit against 10 men

In the games Pickering has played we've looked far more fragile defensively

Dolan only getting 1 goal and 2 assists despite more playing time than Hedges

Calling Hedges one of the least effective players is why I think he is being cast as a villain. I just don't think it is the case

If you think me disagreeing with people is scolding them then you have thin skin my friend. Clearly, people agree with me too 

Rovers last league victory against Coventry, in the city of Coventry?

29th August 1992

A first win in 32 years in the city of Lady Godiva would be most welcome!

Rovers beat Coventry 4-0 away from home in the Championship, whilst they played their home games at St Andrews, Birmingham.

Rovers have won at the CBS Arena, a 3-1 victory in the League Cup. In the red and black pinstripe kit!

Edited by rog of the rovers
  • Like 1