BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry City (a) - 1/10/2024

13 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Is he?

I'd say the least effective player has been Pickering. In the games he hasn't played we have looked better defensively. The clean sheet against Bristol & PNE. Then when substituted against QPR we looked far better, albeit against 10 men

In the games Pickering has played we've looked far more fragile defensively

Dolan only getting 1 goal and 2 assists despite more playing time than Hedges

Calling Hedges one of the least effective players is why I think he is being cast as a villain. I just don't think it is the case

If you think me disagreeing with people is scolding them then you have thin skin my friend. Clearly, people agree with me too 

One of the least effective, absolutely. Pixie and Dolan are up there, too. Dolan has surprised me over the last couple of games, though. You've only named two that could be argued to have been less effective and I would argue one of them. 

I'm fine with being disagreed with, we're discussing football, it happens. I took objection to your tone. It seems that now we've performed better than most would have hoped for we should accept our lot and not look to make improvements inthe first team? 

I think we can do better than the "ever present Hedges". I don't think he's shit or a bad person, I just think he's one of the poorer players to have started consistently this year. 

I'm delighted that people agree with you. Thumbs up.

1 hour ago, Derby Blue said:

Just a heads up for anyone still wanting to buy tickets......

The option to buy and collect from the ground is no longer an option on line, only collection from Ewood.

Ticket office have said that they're only allowed to send 50 sets of tickets for collection to Coventry!!

So they've posted me out some tickets and if they don't arrive tomorrow then they can arrange for duplicates to be collected from Coventry, which apparently don't count towards the 50.....??

Oh, and Coventry won't allow sales on the day. Didn't realise they were in a position to make it as difficult as possible for fans to give them some money...

What a barm pot situation,talk about making it as hard as possible to attend!

Strangely,Coventry favourites with the Bookies for the win on the night.

Crazy days these.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

I think the unbeaten streak will come to an end this week after an unreal start to the season. 2 very tough away games that (call me negative) I would perhaps take 2 draws from if offered. That said, we really do need to get off the mark away from home and Coventry away seems like a much more likely fixture for us to be able to do that. 

Not sure what the manager's perspective on Cantwell's fitness is but if he is fit enough it could be a good opportunity to start him. 

As much as I love Ohashi, big Mac needs to start and probably will start I think. If he can get his first league goal and 3 points then this season will be as perfect as you could hope for at this stage. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, London blue said:

One of the least effective, absolutely. Pixie and Dolan are up there, too. Dolan has surprised me over the last couple of games, though. You've only named two that could be argued to have been less effective and I would argue one of them. 

I'm fine with being disagreed with, we're discussing football, it happens. I took objection to your tone. It seems that now we've performed better than most would have hoped for we should accept our lot and not look to make improvements inthe first team? 

I think we can do better than the "ever present Hedges". I don't think he's shit or a bad person, I just think he's one of the poorer players to have started consistently this year. 

Up to the Preston game Hedges was good and to be fair not too many came out with much credit in that game. He had a poor first half on Saturday but was good in the second half. I think his energy and experience is really important to Eustace and the way he wants to play so for me he is starting right now.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, London blue said:

Tone is difficult to understand over the computer. Although it is clear which of the two of us is taking a more combative approach than the other….

Listen, I never said we should not look to make improvements. But it is September. We can’t add anybody else. It was suggested we should swap out Hedges for the young loanee. Away at Cov may not be the best time for that. On top of that, Hedges hasn’t been this poor and ineffective player he is being made out to be. Football fans love to find fault and my comment was that it looks as though Hedges is today’s villain

When you are sat 3rd and haven’t been beat it is suggestive you have got something right. Eustace rotates the right amount. He may decide to rest Hedges tbh - a game on Tuesday may be a bit much given his injury record. I don’t know. What I do know is that the posts calling Hedges poor were a bit unfounded. He isn’t. Far from it, actually 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sabino said:

This is going to be a tough couple of away games.

We are flattered by our league position (in my opinion) as we have only played 1 of the current top 10, and that was Burnley.

Hopefully we can get Cantwell bedded in sooner rather than later and he gives us a bit of consistency.

Some of the clubs we have played are not in the top ten because we beat them. Actually we have played two of the top ten (dingles and Norwich), but we also have only played two of the bottom ten. 

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, rog of the rovers said:

Rovers last league victory against Coventry, in the city of Coventry?

29th August 1992

A first win in 32 years in the city of Lady Godiva would be most welcome!

Rovers beat Coventry 4-0 away from home in the Championship, whilst they played their home games at St Andrews, Birmingham.

Rovers have won at the CBS Arena, a 3-1 victory in the League Cup. In the red and black pinstripe kit!

I have never seen those highlights before. I remember being on holiday in Portugal and getting the Sunday Times and pinching myself seeing us top of the Premier League.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Neal said:

I think the unbeaten streak will come to an end this week after an unreal start to the season. 2 very tough away games that (call me negative) I would perhaps take 2 draws from if offered. That said, we really do need to get off the mark away from home and Coventry away seems like a much more likely fixture for us to be able to do that. 

Not sure what the manager's perspective on Cantwell's fitness is but if he is fit enough it could be a good opportunity to start him. 

As much as I love Ohashi, big Mac needs to start and probably will start I think. If he can get his first league goal and 3 points then this season will be as perfect as you could hope for at this stage. 

Two draws gets you 2 points and still unbeaten. A win and a loss gets you 3 points, points make prizes. 

• Like 1

Its difficult to be confident on these next 2 games.

I would even take a loss at tomorrow and a Draw at Plymouth if it meant we got 3 points at home on the next game.

Hoping to see a starting front 4 of the below in either of the matches.

Duberry, Cantwell, Dolan

Gueye

4 points would be a cracking result before the break, its important we don't get a loss before the international break.

Edited by BankEnd Rover
  • Like 1

I find it interesting when people post there line ups that it's always Cantwell in behind the forward and Dolan back out on the left.

Going off Saturday, I think when Cantwell does get himself in the team as a regular starter he will be out on the left and Dolan will remain central.

Cantwell played his best football at Norwich when out on the left.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Tone is difficult to understand over the computer. Although it is clear which of the two of us is taking a more combative approach than the other….

Listen, I never said we should not look to make improvements. But it is September. We can’t add anybody else. It was suggested we should swap out Hedges for the young loanee. Away at Cov may not be the best time for that. On top of that, Hedges hasn’t been this poor and ineffective player he is being made out to be. Football fans love to find fault and my comment was that it looks as though Hedges is today’s villain

When you are sat 3rd and haven’t been beat it is suggestive you have got something right. Eustace rotates the right amount. He may decide to rest Hedges tbh - a game on Tuesday may be a bit much given his injury record. I don’t know. What I do know is that the posts calling Hedges poor were a bit unfounded. He isn’t. Far from it, actually 

You can say he's not been ineffective, but his goal and assist contributions have always been on the low side (and continue to be) and I don't think he offers a huge amount outside of that aside from being fairly industrious. 

Absolutely our league position indicates we're getting plenty right. At the same time a couple of underwhelming performances suggest there's room for improvement. I'd rather see Sigurdsson or ACD play there for a game. I don't think Coventry away is an overly intimidating atmosphere and ACD seems to be brimming with confidence anyway. 

Football fans love to see their team win, and when discussing how best to do so can be surly when their comments are deemed to be over the top.

You're right, he may well rest Hedges. Either way we've got options and decent form. I'm starting to trust Eustace more and more to make the right call. 

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Drivel? You expend an awful lot of posts defending posters (yours) rights to an opinion. Maybe afford that same privilege

There's been a couple of posts now where it has been said that Hedges is just not very good. He doesn't score, can't head, can't take a man on, is slow etc etc. Yet he has been ever present in a side sat 3rd in the table and unbeaten

In this respect, it seems like he is being cast as a bit of a villain. We can talk about wanting to improve but at the moment we can't. There's no transfer window. You have to piss with the willy you have. I am not convinced that dropping the ever present and industrious winger for an unknown loanee is the best idea. Especially going away to a side like Coventry who, for their bad start, are still a side capable of troubling us

Football fans enjoy having something to moan about, clearly. Hedges just seems like the new thing to moan about. Unfairly too, I may add. In 7 games he has a goal and an assist

You don't have to rate every player equally but when you put an opinion on here you are agreeing it can be challenged. Why is it drivel to say it looks as though he is being cast as a villain when posters are again reading you call another player rubbish (just like JRC, just like Szmodics, just like Brereton) when we are sat 3rd and look a bloody organised and good team?

For what it is worth, if we can find a left winger that offers what Hedges does with a better injury record and better goal/assist return, then I would be more than happy for us to go sign them. Atm, in September, sat 3rd, I don't agree with dropping him for a loanee and don't agree that he is as poor as he is being cast. Call that drivel if you want

Me saying that you likeing criticising Hedges as him being portrayed as a villain isnt me saying you dont have the right to an opinion, im merely offering my opinion about your opinion.

I dont think its a constructive argument to make out as if its some sort of scapegoating campaign, similar to your stuff about just wanting a moan.

I dont understand how you criticising Pickering is any less portraying him as a villian? Not that should you be discouraged either from pointing out if you think hes a weak link, I feel fine with him at left back as much as Beck seems like an upgrade. So different players but surely similar in both pinpointing a weakest member of the team. (Well, Pears is IMO but I think he has more to point to in recent games to justify selection, although I wouldnt and dont trust him indefinitely)

Yes Hedges is part of a team that has started well but I dont think that he individually has offered much. You speak about Cozier Duberry as if hes a young lad on work experience. I just would like to see him and Cantwell in the team who I would hope can give us more threat than bang average players like Hedges.

Ticket situation is an absolute joke. I can’t collect them from Ewood and the option to collect from Cov has now gone as well. No idea why there are no sales on the night, just makes no sense tbf. Looks like I won’t be heading up to Cov 😞

2 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Ticket situation is an absolute joke. I can’t collect them from Ewood and the option to collect from Cov has now gone as well. No idea why there are no sales on the night, just makes no sense tbf. Looks like I won’t be heading up to Cov 😞

If you ring them today, they will post them out today and when they obviously don't turn up tomorrow you can get back in touch with the club and they will arrange for Cov to print duplicates for you to pick up there.

An unnecessary long winded way around getting a ticket when there will be hundreds free in the away end but that is an option.

image.png.8024150d89e780fcc9309d9d210b0729.png

Would go with the above; ACD and Gueye to start - think we'll need the pace of ACD, and Gueye's height and strength will come in handy. Cantwell of course deserves a start after the other day, would move Dolan to the left for this. The rest pick themselves!

Gotta feeling this one could be a banana skin tbh, though i've thought this with some of our previous games too! Who knows, hopefully another win 🤞

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Me saying that you likeing criticising Hedges as him being portrayed as a villain isnt me saying you dont have the right to an opinion, im merely offering my opinion about your opinion.

I dont think its a constructive argument to make out as if its some sort of scapegoating campaign, similar to your stuff about just wanting a moan.

I dont understand how you criticising Pickering is any less portraying him as a villian? Not that should you be discouraged either from pointing out if you think hes a weak link, I feel fine with him at left back as much as Beck seems like an upgrade. So different players but surely similar in both pinpointing a weakest member of the team. (Well, Pears is IMO but I think he has more to point to in recent games to justify selection, although I wouldnt and dont trust him indefinitely)

Yes Hedges is part of a team that has started well but I dont think that he individually has offered much. You speak about Cozier Duberry as if hes a young lad on work experience. I just would like to see him and Cantwell in the team who I would hope can give us more threat than bang average players like Hedges.

That was very convoluted

Again, it is all about the connotations that he is a poor player, can't take a man on, isn't quick, can't head etc etc. It just isn't genuine criticism because it is not true. Even in this post you have called him bang average and that just isn't true imo

Pickering's faults have been shown now we have a left back to replace him. I don't really have anything to say about that except you have seen Beck and you have seen Pickering, so the decision is your own to make

As for ACD - you are changing your whole opinion on the game it seems. Post after post after post you tell us not to 'rely on untested kids' who have 'only played kids football'. That is ACD in a nutshell. I don't think it is controversial to suggest dropping a reliable performer like Hedges for ACD in an away game is a bit risky. In fact, ACD is exactly how you have described him - a young lad here for work experience

But in any case, Hedges will get rested eventually and we will see ACD. He looks promising so he should be able to make the step up. 

• Like 1

It isn’t particularly controversial to say Hedges isn’t very good when it comes to end product because he clearly isn’t. He does offer a lot more besides that which is why he’s in the team, but he wastes so many promising positions because his final pass/cross are often lacking. The commentator on Saturday even referenced it a couple of times. 

For the last few visits to Coventry there has usually been some drama. A few seasons ago we played an awful first half, put Dack on at half time and quickly went 2-1 up. In something like the sixth minute of stoppage time we conceded a sloppy goal to draw. Two seasons ago Garrett was wrongly sent off and we lost 1-0. Last season again we lost 1-0 to a late goal but we had an earlier goal disallowed by a weak referee who allowed himself to be overruled by a linesman who was 35 yards away and the referee himself was 10 yards away. Hopefully we are talking about football tomorrow and a Rovers win.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

That was very convoluted

Again, it is all about the connotations that he is a poor player, can't take a man on, isn't quick, can't head etc etc. It just isn't genuine criticism because it is not true. Even in this post you have called him bang average and that just isn't true imo

Pickering's faults have been shown now we have a left back to replace him. I don't really have anything to say about that except you have seen Beck and you have seen Pickering, so the decision is your own to make

As for ACD - you are changing your whole opinion on the game it seems. Post after post after post you tell us not to 'rely on untested kids' who have 'only played kids football'. That is ACD in a nutshell. I don't think it is controversial to suggest dropping a reliable performer like Hedges for ACD in an away game is a bit risky. In fact, ACD is exactly how you have described him - a young lad here for work experience

But in any case, Hedges will get rested eventually and we will see ACD. He looks promising so he should be able to make the step up. 

I’d put Pickering and Hedges in the same boat. OK to have on the bench but they won’t get you into the top six at the end of the season. If we’re happy with not being a top six club there’s not much us fans can do about it. I’d still start with Hedges on Tuesday because I don’t think ACD is ready as a starting player. Same goes for Cantwell. 
Just my opinion, other ones are available, and probably just as valid.

27 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

That was very convoluted

Hedges I cant remember heading a ball, barely if ever. That was just in response to the idea that he might be selected for his height. 

I think @Tyrone Shoelaces (sorry if ive got the wrong poster) summed up Hedges well by saying something along the lines of that he doesnt do enough often enough. He works hard and wont let you down in that regard but I just dont think he is effective enough or productive enough in the final third.

I take your point on the window being closed and I felt that we needed (and seemingly tried to sign) more than one wide player with pace, ACD seems to have been signed in an attempt to help to rectify that. You mention my previous comments on not relying on untested kids, that related to assuming players are ready to step up before seeing them in a senior environment whilst not signing a player in that position. Thats because that player then has to essentially be ready immediately otherwise (like with Batty last season) you are left short.

The reliance on ACD to be good enough has become more than I would like because we failed to get more than one of that type of player in the window. I eould have preferred a player tested at senior level too. But I am purely hoping that he can come in and provide more of a threat than Hedges who doesnt do enough for me.

But my main grievance with your post is the idea that Hedges has become some sort of villain and people should have learnt a lesson. And then the comments about people moaning. He isnt a villain, and like with you and Pickering (like I said, I personally think Beck has appeared to be an upgrade although I think Pickering is solid and an intelligent player) its just a case where people perhaps see him as one of the weaker players of the team. It doesnt have to be made out to be a witchhunt, and people shouldnt refrain from sharing those opinions in case that player pleasantly surprises them and becomes key.

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hedges I cant remember heading a ball, barely if ever. 

Good header at the back post last season against Stoke across goal for Szmodics to score.

So he has it in his locker, we just don't utilise his height very well.

Regarding Hedges, Pickering, etc.:

Our roster has clearly been upgraded to the point we have some great depth on our bench. If Hedgy & Pick go to the bench, I’d say it simply enhances both starters & bench. It’s what has been needed, to get to playoff positions, & stay there. Yes, I do believe we can always upgrade our talent, but right now, I say Rovers, barring disastrous injuries, should be in the hunt for a playoff spot, all season. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Good header at the back post last season against Stoke across goal for Szmodics to score.

So he has it in his locker, we just don't utilise his height very well.

The odd example, but I certainly dont think he is selected even 1% for his height.

Most likely a combination of him being a hard worker and experienced player, and due to a lack of fit enough alternatives.

I think its a combination of all of those you mention, hard working, experienced lack of alternative and height.

I do think his height gives him an advantage sometimes getting picked, last season at times we had a front 4 of Szmodics, Dolan, Markandey & Moran. All 5'8 and under.