BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Coventry City (a) - 1/10/2024

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Hedges I cant remember heading a ball, barely if ever. That was just in response to the idea that he might be selected for his height. 

I think @Tyrone Shoelaces (sorry if ive got the wrong poster) summed up Hedges well by saying something along the lines of that he doesnt do enough often enough. He works hard and wont let you down in that regard but I just dont think he is effective enough or productive enough in the final third.

I take your point on the window being closed and I felt that we needed (and seemingly tried to sign) more than one wide player with pace, ACD seems to have been signed in an attempt to help to rectify that. You mention my previous comments on not relying on untested kids, that related to assuming players are ready to step up before seeing them in a senior environment whilst not signing a player in that position. Thats because that player then has to essentially be ready immediately otherwise (like with Batty last season) you are left short.

The reliance on ACD to be good enough has become more than I would like because we failed to get more than one of that type of player in the window. I eould have preferred a player tested at senior level too. But I am purely hoping that he can come in and provide more of a threat than Hedges who doesnt do enough for me.

But my main grievance with your post is the idea that Hedges has become some sort of villain and people should have learnt a lesson. And then the comments about people moaning. He isnt a villain, and like with you and Pickering (like I said, I personally think Beck has appeared to be an upgrade although I think Pickering is solid and an intelligent player) its just a case where people perhaps see him as one of the weaker players of the team. It doesnt have to be made out to be a witchhunt, and people shouldnt refrain from sharing those opinions in case that player pleasantly surprises them and becomes key.

You are taking offence, again

Nothing will stop you from posting your criticism of players. Feel free to. I think he is being made out to be far worse than he is

Tyrone is right - you can improve on Hedges. But in the last few pages you have said he can't win a header, is a poor player, is living off one good goal and not good enough. I don't think that is the case. The fact he has started 100% of our games and we have not lost suggests to me that he is playing a part in our good form. He's been involved in our goals (15% of them according to the data....), got himself a good goal against Norwich with a clever lob and looks to be more robust than previous years. Suggesting he is becoming the next "villain" isn't a stretch - you are quite critical of footballers and so when I read you rubbishing a player I am reminded of the others you rubbished. Like it or not, given we have all spent year after year discussing all things Rovers, there comes a time when a judgement is formed. It doesn't have to be that deep

Btw I just want to leave this here - I do think that Hedges is due to be rested. It could come against Cov. I also think that Duberry has the potential to be better. But being 19 and this being Coventry away - and I rate Mark Robins' sides - I would like to stick with what we know. Tuesday may be too soon for Hedges though and so it is entirely possible he is on the bench for this game

Edited by Dreams of 1995

7 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You are taking offence, again

Nothing will stop you from posting your criticism of players. Feel free to. I think he is being made out to be far worse than he is

Tyrone is right - you can improve on Hedges. But in the last few pages you have said he can't win a header, is a poor player, is living off one good goal and not good enough. I don't think that is the case. The fact he has started 100% of our games and we have not lost suggests to me that he is playing a part in our good form. He's been involved in our goals (15% of them according to the data....), got himself a good goal against Norwich with a clever lob and looks to be more robust than previous years. Suggesting he is becoming the next "villain" isn't a stretch - you are quite critical of footballers and so when I read you rubbishing a player I am reminded of the others you rubbished. Like it or not, given we have all spent year after year discussing all things Rovers, there comes a time when a judgement is formed. It doesn't have to be that deep

Btw I just want to leave this here - I do think that Hedges is due to be rested. It could come against Cov. I also think that Duberry has the potential to be better. But being 19 and this being Coventry away - and I rate Mark Robins' sides - I would like to stick with what we know. Tuesday may be too soon for Hedges though and so it is entirely possible he is on the bench for this game

Just to add some context:

- I asked if he has ever won a header (had forgotten his header v Stoke) in response to someone suggesting that maybe he is selected for his height. He certainly is not a notable aerial threat, but he is a wide man, so its not something you would expect. Either way, I don't think his height gets him into the team, and it certainly shouldnt. It isnt really a criticism of a wide player to suggest that he isnt a threat in the air.

- Being good enough or not is relative to what the task is. Im fine with him being a squad player. He isnt good enough IMO to warrant a regular starting place because as I said, I dont think he is productive enough.

- The talķ of him living off one goal came as a direct response to a poster asking if it had been forgotten when defending him. Obviously it was a brilliant goal, but it was very much a one off, not a regular occurence. I dont think he does live off that goal in general, it was just a direct reaction to that being used as a defence. As I said, Mokoena once scored a 30 yard worldie, that was a one off too.

You mention about him being involved in 15% of our goals. That is a goal at Norwich which was an excellent finish but as I said, his goal record across his Rovers career is poor for an attacking player. His other contribution ws helping the ball on to Ohashi v Bristol City, not that far in their half and by the touchline. He then ran forward a fair way, cut in and curled one into the top corner so it doesnt really change much!

Looks Brittain will be managed and probably not be involved in the first team squad until after the international break is over

Based on Eustace pre match interview, I think he will pick this team 

Pears

Carter Batth Hyam Pickering

Tronstad Travis

Weimann Dolan Hedges 

Gueye

Subs:- Toth McFadzean Duru Baker Buckley JRC Cantwell Cozier-Duberry Ohashi 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Looks Brittain will be managed and probably not be involved in the first team squad until after the international break is over

Based on Eustace pre match interview, I think he will pick this team 

Pears

Carter Batth Hyam Pickering

Tronstad Travis

Weimann Dolan Hedges 

Gueye

Subs:- Toth McFadzean Duru Baker Buckley JRC Cantwell Cozier-Duberry Ohashi 

That's the team I think will play and would probably go for too.

I don't think we need to be rushing Cantwell to start this week, another couple of sub appearances, maybe another under 21 start in the next international break, and then unleash him against Swansea in the first game back.

• Like 5

Cantwell has been in training for 30 days.

How much more fitness time does he need to start games? Weimann is older and had been training less (and played less games last season) when he started at Burnley.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1

Can't fathom many of the Hedges comments on here. Especially after such a brilliant start to the season. In my opinion all have contributed fully and deserve their place in the team.

We are not the most fluent or gifted attacking outfit. We've just lost the divisions top scorer. Our success late last season and the current defensive record stems from the workrate, committment and organisation players like Hedges bring to our team. I for one hope he starts tomorrow.

if fit, I'm thinking nine players are nailed on to start and it's just who plays upfront and just off the striker that causes concern. And for me this is currently our biggest issue.

Gueye's first touch and shooting needs work (putting it kindly), Ohashi has been largely ineffective the last two games with balls fired head high, Weimann shouldn't be played out wide and looks a little one paced, Cantwell isn't fit and won't contribute much defensively. We've been able to play Dolan centrally with Beck bombing on, but with him absent need Dolan on the left. 

I certainly wouldn't start Duberry, and i may be tempted to beef up midfield with JRC or Buckley in a more advanced role trying to play Ohashi down the sides of the centre halves.

I think Eustace is more likely to  perm any two from Gueye, Ohashi and Weimman however, but whoever he picks we need a lot more from them than the PNE and QPR games.

Hoping very much for another clean sheet and to remain unbeaten.

• Like 7

Just looked at the Coventry squad- if they click they will be very dangerous.

Saw Coventry v Oxford very early on the season and they ripped Oxford apart in the first half but woeful finishing restricted them to 1 goal which proved costly in the second half.

Definitely a game we need to take by the scruff of the neck from the kick off.

Not seen anything of Cov this season but a trip to their forums suggests things are a lot different to previous seasons.

Robins has lost a lot of support and similar noises to us in that they sell the best players but fail to reinvest.

Probably as confident as I've been in the last 3 years that we can go to Cov and get all 3 points but a draw would still be a good result.

Interesting on Saturday that the main danger men were all benched. Whether that was Robins make a statement he needed more or to just be defensive against a stronger Leeds team I don't know.

Reference Hedges, not my favourite player by any stretch but he's doing a balanced job. Has a goal in him and can play good football as we've seen in the past but not that typical winger that gets you off your seat and his goal contributions do need to improve if he wants to keep the new lads out as they reach their fitness levels/sharpness.

I made the comment about height the other week, he's no Gueye but when it's JRC, Dolan or Ohashi to aim for, Hedges has a little but more chance of winning something, hence he seemed to be the target.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ricky said:

Ticket situation is an absolute joke. I can’t collect them from Ewood and the option to collect from Cov has now gone as well. No idea why there are no sales on the night, just makes no sense tbf. Looks like I won’t be heading up to Cov 😞

I had the same issue, the club were only allowed to send 50 sets of tickets to be collected from Coventry so they had to remove that option. They've had to post them out to me today and if they don't turn up then I've to call tomorrow and they'll arrange duplicates to be collected.

You couldn't make it up....

Pressure is really mounting for Robins, this will be a really tough game despite a fair few Cov fans seemingly writing them off. He's been there a good 7 years for a reason and is more than capable of turning things round.

That said, they looked terrified of a bit of pace and trickery against Leeds at weekend and I'd be tempted to give ACD a start here over Hedges. If Dolan plays like he did at times on Saturday he too can cause them problems.

Around 70% of Cov goals have come in the first half this season, compared to a similar figure in the second half for us. If we go in at half time 1-0 down it'll be a big test to show we don't roll over like we used to and have the ability to get back into games.

These buggers have done us over a few times in the last few seasons with late goals, we're definitely due to win a do.

Hard to call but I'll go for a 1-1 draw.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ricky said:

Ticket situation is an absolute joke. I can’t collect them from Ewood and the option to collect from Cov has now gone as well. No idea why there are no sales on the night, just makes no sense tbf. Looks like I won’t be heading up to Cov 😞

No pay on the night again even though there'll be a thousand seats empty in the away end and probably thousands in the home sections.

Absolute farce it is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Southside Rover said:

Not seen anything of Cov this season but a trip to their forums suggests things are a lot different to previous seasons.

Robins has lost a lot of support and similar noises to us in that they sell the best players but fail to reinvest.

Probably as confident as I've been in the last 3 years that we can go to Cov and get all 3 points but a draw would still be a good result.

Interesting on Saturday that the main danger men were all benched. Whether that was Robins make a statement he needed more or to just be defensive against a stronger Leeds team I don't know.

Reference Hedges, not my favourite player by any stretch but he's doing a balanced job. Has a goal in him and can play good football as we've seen in the past but not that typical winger that gets you off your seat and his goal contributions do need to improve if he wants to keep the new lads out as they reach their fitness levels/sharpness.

I made the comment about height the other week, he's no Gueye but when it's JRC, Dolan or Ohashi to aim for, Hedges has a little but more chance of winning something, hence he seemed to be the target.

I watched Hedges a few times (TV of course) when he played for Aberdeen, He was a regular starter and always, as I recall, played on the wing.

His strength was putting in whippy crosses for the strikers.

He's not been played that way here, partly because we haven't had anyone to get on the end of crosses

anyway and also because Mowbray never missed an opportunity to play anyone in the wrong place.

I never thought Hedges had enough about him and said so at the time. Just one of those aimless players

we sign for small fees and who disappoint.

Edited by 47er

I'm hopefully expecting a decent result. At least a draw for me. 

I seriously don't want a repeat of that performance down at Bristol City last season. 

We will lose a game at some point but hopefully not at Coventry.

Guyue to notch his first championship goal. 

On 29/09/2024 at 14:59, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Sounds harsh but Gueye as a Forward will be judged on how many Goals he scores just as Gallagher was.

I don’t totally agree, he has already shown he can be a handful and can hold the ball up and bring players into the game which helps create goals. Unlike Gallagher. Gallagher couldn’t score or bring others into the game because he was a poor footballer.

I felt Gueye should have started the Preston game, a physical presence was needed in that game and having Yuki and Dolan on you completely loose that from the attacking line.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JonnyP said:

I don’t totally agree, he has already shown he can be a handful and can hold the ball up and bring players into the game which helps create goals. Unlike Gallagher. Gallagher couldn’t score or bring others into the game because he was a poor footballer.

I felt Gueye should have started the Preston game, a physical presence was needed in that game and having Yuki and Dolan on you completely loose that from the attacking line.

I'd be starting Gueye at Coventry. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

They definitely are not similar to us in terms of reinvestment. They have spent loads of the Gyokeres/Hamer etc money on a number of players, many of whom (Simms, Wright, Van Ewijk etc) did very well last season.

I didn't say previous seasons? If we go back far enough you'll find a time we also reinvested. The comments they were making were about this summer, like us as we talked about all Summer

6 hours ago, Southside Rover said:

I didn't say previous seasons? If we go back far enough you'll find a time we also reinvested. The comments they were making were about this summer, like us as we talked about all Summer

We didnt when Szmodics, Wharton, Armstrong, Rhodes, Gestede, Cairney, Hanley and Duffy were sold.

Their major sales were last summer, I dont think they sold much this summer but still spent a bit.

• Like 1

Another big game tonight.

A victory will be great. They've not done as well expected.

This game always means a lot to JE.

A draw is most likely but I'm going for a 2-1 win here.

We are on a roll and the players now we can go top if they win (obvs depending on other results but they can't control that)

• Like 1

An interesting little snippet; this season, we've won all 4 of our home games and drawn all 3 of our away games.

Does look to have draw written all over it this one, however Rovers have surpassed my expectations plenty of times already this season - let's hope they can nab all 3 points!

• Like 1

Hoping for a positive outcome from this game, at a ground where we have had some good results, but where it is always difficult to go with confidence.

For me, tactics have to change a bit for this one - I'd like to see Cantwell take on a bit more responsibility for the engine room and creative forward play, would prefer big Mak up top for the first hour or so, after which Yuki might come on to change things up in terms of the attacking threat. I'd like to give Cozier-Duberry a run out in the side too, with a remit to pop balls into the danger area for the Mak, perhaps paired with Hedges going back to his origins as a winger capable of delivering killer crosses from the by-line.

Overall I don't think we can complain too much about keeping the core of a settled and effective side. Each different opponent brings its own challenges, and I'm sure JE will have done his homework on the Sky Blues. Another clean sheet would be a good return, whatever else happens..

Head - Sky Blues 1 Rovers 1

Heart - Sky Blues 0 Rovers 2

Hell in a Hand Cart - Coventry 2 Rovers 6 (Yuki hat-trick, Cantwell penalty, Mak Gueye tap in and Hedges screamer).

COYB!!