BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (a) - 5/10/2024

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cantwell shouldn't of started yesterday. He didn't get into the game at any point. 

Play Dolan and JRC in the 10 with Hedges and Brittain Provide crosses for Gueye who strength is this way 

Under very different tactics as inverted full back. Can he provide the width Eustace wants from the right back? Eustace asked him to play a similar role going forward like JDT but he wants his playing from right midfielder side not right back

Cantwell spent much of the game wide, Eustace got his tactics wrong. He doesnt track back as much as others, he isnt the quickest but you want your technical players in the centre at the heart of things.

On the ball, Dolan hasnt got anywhere near the same quality. You mention him getting goals from there, none since the opening day suggests the move hasnt really done that.

Hedges isnt a particularly good crosser, but even considering this stuff around the number 10. Why would you pick Dolan over Cantwell if the rest of your argument is to play around Gueye?

15 minutes ago, London blue said:

What on earth about JRC is it that makes you think he can't play as a wide, attacking full back? 

It's so clear he gets lost higher up the pitch. He's a right back who has occasionally been used elsewhere, he's not a midfielder of any kind.

Exactly. This idea that he cannot possibly be a right back under Eustace is totally unfounded.

He is so much better when he has space in front of him. Ive mentioned Brett Emerton before, he isnt otherwise similar but Emerton also struggled when having to attack players from a position higher up.

He also is a better one on one defender than Brittain.

12 minutes ago, BankEnd Rover said:

My front 4 would be the below but can see Dolan/Hedges ahead of Siggy. 

Duberry, Cantwell, Siggy

Gueye 

Id take a draw here and for us to bounce back after the international break - Cut out the mistakes and we can beat anyone.

Fuck ups have to have consequences or nobody really learns from them. I’d have Pears and Dolan on the bench. I’d like to bench several more but we haven’t got the players. Pickering would be playing his last game for me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Cantwell spent much of the game wide, Eustace got his tactics wrong. He doesnt track back as much as others, he isnt the quickest but you want your technical players in the centre at the heart of things.

That's I don't agree, Cantwell has more space and time out wide to create from there and he can drift inside and allow Beck to provide the width. 

On the ball, Dolan hasnt got anywhere near the same quality. You mention him getting goals from there, none since the opening day suggests the move hasnt really done that.

How many chances he had to score since the opening day? 

I don't want him to create chances, I want more goals from him like Szmodics and Dack did from there

Hedges isnt a particularly good crosser, but even considering this stuff around the number 10. Why would you pick Dolan over Cantwell if the rest of your argument is to play around Gueye?

My team selection is for this game. I don't want to push Todd Cantwell too quickly and let build his game time and fitness up. 

Exactly. This idea that he cannot possibly be a right back under Eustace is totally unfounded.

He is so much better when he has space in front of him. Ive mentioned Brett Emerton before, he isnt otherwise similar but Emerton also struggled when having to attack players from a position higher up.

He also is a better one on one defender than Brittain.

Emerton was a right winger/midfielder and only played at right back 38 times. Hughes played him there when we had Bentley and Pedersen to play wide but Hughes also played him Right midfielder during his time. Ince and Allardyce played him wide right or wide left or centre midfield of 3. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's I don't agree, Cantwell has more space and time out wide to create from there and he can drift inside and allow Beck to provide the width. 

How many chances he had to score since the opening day? 

I don't want him to create chances, I want more goals from him like Szmodics and Dack did from there

My team selection is for this game. I don't want to push Todd Cantwell too quickly and let build his game time and fitness up. 

Emerton was a right winger/midfielder and only played at right back 38 times. Hughes played him there when we had Bentley and Pedersen to play wide but Hughes also played him Right midfielder during his time. Ince and Allardyce played him wide right or wide left or centre midfield of 3. 

Szmodics and Dack used to regularly get chances even in poor teams like Szmodics last season because he could anticipate chances.

Dolan doesnt do that, its not just about having chances put on a plate, he lacks the intelligence and movement to find goalscoring opportunities. I fail to see why you have any confidence in Dolan being able to score regularly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Szmodics and Dack used to regularly get chances even in poor teams like Szmodics last season because he could anticipate chances.

Dolan doesnt do that, its not just about having chances put on a plate, he lacks the intelligence and movement to find goalscoring opportunities. I fail to see why you have any confidence in Dolan being able to score regularly.

We don't created enough chances as a team but this season we have taken them. We had a great start and one defeat only but its back doom and gloom. No one said chances on a plate either. 

Dolan should be getting 10 goals for me

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

dolan reminds me of reda khadra,pretty nippy,good on the turn but absolutely no idea when he`s on the ball,hence the continual bad decisions he`s always making,the only thing to do with him is play him wide tell him to attack the full back,get a cross in and track back,don`t think,just to those three things,it`s pretty obvious he is`nt the sharpest knife in the cupboard

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cantwell shouldn't of started yesterday. He didn't get into the game at any point. 

Play Dolan and JRC in the 10 with Hedges and Brittain Provide crosses for Gueye who strength is this way 

Under very different tactics as inverted full back. Can he provide the width Eustace wants from the right back? Eustace asked him to play a similar role going forward like JDT but he wants his playing from right midfielder side not right back

Dolan was only involved once.  For our goal

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

dolan reminds me of reda khadra,pretty nippy,good on the turn but absolutely no idea when he`s on the ball,hence the continual bad decisions he`s always making,the only thing to do with him is play him wide tell him to attack the full back,get a cross in and track back,don`t think,just to those three things,it`s pretty obvious he is`nt the sharpest knife in the cupboard

Khadra was quick whereas Dolan isnt and he also has never shown any crossing ability. He is probably better from the left cutting in or central but he isnt good enough to warrant selection over Cantwell.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We don't created enough chances as a team but this season we have taken them. We had a great start and one defeat only but its back doom and gloom. No one said chances on a plate either. 

Dolan should be getting 10 goals for me

Nothing to do with doom and gloom, that tends to be a standard comeback when nothing else constructive can be offered up. 

My point was that both Szmodics and Dack had the ability to anticipate chances. Szmodics wasnt in a creative side last season but his movement and his intelligence meant that he got into great positions and his finishing was very good. I have seen no signs that Dolan shares similar traits and his goal output/threat hasnt improved since moving in the middle. Cantwell on the other hand has quality on the ball and should play centrally where he is capable of picking the ball up on the turn in tight areas and making things happen.

51 minutes ago, dallydally said:

Gally scored (and assisted) for Stoke. Bound to be injured 2nd half!

More league goals than Gueye!

Harking back to last season and hoping we get a similar reaction from this group to the way that the team immediately reacted to the desolate midweek 5-0 loss at Bristol City last season…. the 1-0 win at Leeds!!

Making the trip to Plymouth this weekend hoping for a positive outcome. Last time there was 32 years ago for the Speedie inspired 3-1 win that catapulted us to promotion under Dalglish. Fingers and toes all crossed.