BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (a) - 5/10/2024

We’re too easily frightened by a little high pressure and stop playing. Batth and Hyam are poor with the ball at their feet and we struggle to get anything going. 

We are so slow it’s painful to watch us chase loose passes and watch opposition players from bleeding’ Plymouth breeze past us. When I saw the teamsheet day I thought to myself: Help!

8 minutes ago, yankfan said:

How we can run Dolan out there over Cantwell is mind boggling. Unless you get credit for needless step overs and 360 turns, Dolan should never start over him. 

Dolan is shite, always has been, but you usually get shot down on here for saying anything bad about the beloved tyrhys.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Absolutely terrible again today and we seem to be getting worse and worse. Eustace again got his selection totally  wrong and after scoring an undeserved equaliser, the game management was non existent.

It is a good job that our home form is perfect because our away form is shocking. 

Gueye again appears more and more of a donkey with each passing game. Hedges anonymous, Dolan is just not good enough and Weimann is too old to be flogged every game. The slow defence was ripped apart too often and Carter should never play at RB again. Pears in the main had routine saves to make but did well and was our best player, he had one typical spill but made up for it by improvising.

The subs improved things but it seems like Eustace has his favourites and will keep sticking with them. Rankin Costello improved us at right back, Cozier Duberry again improved us and Ohashi improved us. Cantwell didnt seem to fancy it and Sigurdsson didnt do much.

A great start has turned into a ok/decent one with Eustace making strange decisions and leaving us with a lot to figure out. Has the recruitment really been as good as everyone assumed?

I am getting concerned about geuye after a ok start. If he isn’t scoring then he isn’t an improvement on Gallagher and it’s worrying where our goals are going to come from. Ohashi looks like he is going to be ok but not reliable not to have games where he is invisible.

I wanted hyam replaced in the summer , I don’t think he is good enough for the championship , he gets nervy and flappy 

Think the Brighton youngster has to start over Dolan and maybe look at bringing tyjon into the squad for some young legs 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I am getting concerned about geuye after a ok start. If he isn’t scoring then he isn’t an improvement on Gallagher and it’s worrying where our goals are going to come from. Ohashi looks like he is going to be ok but not reliable not to have games where he is invisible.

I wanted hyam replaced in the summer , I don’t think he is good enough for the championship , he gets nervy and flappy 

Think the Brighton youngster has to start over Dolan and maybe look at bringing tyjon into the squad for some young legs 

I’ll never support Hyam after his comments last year. For me he’s cut from the same cloth as Duffy.

• Like 5

The last two games have been a sobering reality check, and my sympathies to anyone who is now making the long trek home.

Stripping all the emotion out of today, it's still a half decent start, overall.

It was always likely we would fall back a little and, when you look at our net spend, that's hardly surprising.

Two weeks to sit and stew in the misery of a 97th minute losing goal, then the important job of ensuring the rot does not set in.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DE. said:

Said after Coventry this match would show if Eustace has really changed the mentality of the team. Forget the result, the performance emphatically answered that question. No change, same old. Hope we can get to 50 points before May and let's see how things are looking then. 

These last two performances should make for an interesting Q&A night with Eustace.

14 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Agree 100% with you 👍

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DanielMB said:

Did I just hear Eustace saying we didnt deserve to lose that game in his post-match???? Deluded.

He also said that we came with a gameplan not to concede and that we conceded uncharacteristically. Sounds like there was no real plan to attack, just to sit back and hope for the best. 

Talks complete and total guff.

• Like 2

When, year after year you sell your best players and give your manager nothing to replace them with. When you have owners who have no idea about English football appointing under achieving nobodies to run it for them, you eventually get to exactly where we are.

we’re at a point where the squad is too small in numbers and lacking in quality. There’s nothing in midfield, the back four can’t compete even for everyday crosses into the box and up front neither Gueye or Ohashi offer anywhere near enough - and where’s the competition from a third or fourth striker? I don’t think there is any.

Dont blame the manager. I doubt anyone could succeed under those terms. Don’t blame the players either. 

We are set up to fail and until the owners realise that and understand they aren’t capable of changing it, nothing will change.

• Like 9

The last 2 games have shown us that:

JE is just your bog standard, run of the mill championship manager (Mowbray MK2).

The players weak mentality is still here and remains a huge problem.

We are easily the slowest team in the league.

It's another mid-lower table plod, with a possible flirt with relegation depending on other teams.

Recruitment has been quite poor once again.

Our attack is abysmal, as we knew it would be as soon as Szmodics was shuffled out of the door.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 9

51 minutes ago, booth said:

All those who said we needed another CB, another goalscorer and a pacy left winger were completely right.

But the fact we still have Pears in goal when we spent all Summer chasing a goalie, tells us all we need to know.

Pears made 3 or 4 decent saves today in fairness. 

• Like 2

Yeah that was pretty poor again, and yet we nearly nicked a point. Typical Rovers in a lot of ways.

Its seems that Rovers are to Obafemi what Gallagher is to Middlesbrough. Always seems to score against us.

Regardless of the last two games, its been a good start to the season. Disappointing that the two defeats have come back to back though, and the drop in performances is a bit alarming.

I feel like the great start to the season prior to these two defeats had raised expectations a touch. Rovers are never getting close to that top 6 over the course of the season, but equally they shouldn't really be in a relegation fight either. Mid table is where they should be ultimately. The players at the club are just far too inconsistent to maintain good results over the course of a full season. Pears (although made some good saves today), Hyam, Pickering, Dolan, Hedges are all far too inconsistent for anything better than mid table.

I do hope that JE has learnt some lessons from these last two games and discovered more about what his best starting 11 is. Providing there are no injuries during the international break, I'd like to see this be the starting 11 against Swansea:

Toth

JRC / Brittain      Carter      Hyam       Beck

Travis         Tronstad

Coz-Dub      Cantwell    Sigurdsson

Ohashi

Ok so Pears hasn't dropped any massive clangers yet this season but it's still Pears and I just don't rate the guy. Carter at RB needs to stop now, that experiment should be over. Get JRC or Brittain in there, depending on opposition. Beck naturally in for Pickering.

Cozier-Duberry has done more than enough in his sub appearances to justify starting ahead of Weimann, who is far better suited as a sub anyway. Cantwell in the middle behind Ohashi is a an upgrade on the inconsistent Dolan. I'd rather see Sigurdsson on the left than either Dolan or Hedges right now.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RTM08 said:

He also said that we came with a gameplan not to concede and that we conceded uncharacteristically. Sounds like there was no real plan to attack, just to sit back and hope for the best. 

Talks complete and total guff.

A hallmark of last seasons games under JE was that as soon as we took the lead/equalised, we just packed everyone into our own half and invited all the pressure. 

Nothings changed, it seems.

40 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Does anyone forsee big changes ahead of the next game? I think the front 4 should all be replaced, as well as new full backs. But I would predict maybe one or two changes.

Its all depends on a number of things and whether these players who are international football duty come back and injuries 

How would you set up for the Swansea game then? 

27 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Its was first starts in the last few games so hard to judge up and alot of it for me is our service to Gueye and Ohashi in the few games is really poor and that is one of my worries over the last few games. Another worry is the amount of chances we actually created during the last few games. (All excluded the second half of the QPR games). 

Sorry for asking but did the manager just say that he waited until 60 mins to put the players on who could win us the game

By extension he believes that the players who started couldn’t win us the game?! But he started them to keep us steady

what is he on about 

• Like 2

• Backroom

I think Eustace's comments actually reveal a lot without him outright stating things. He admitted that our gameplan today was to frustrate Plymouth for an hour and then try to nick a goal in the last 30 minutes. If he was talking about one of the division's better teams then you'd say fair enough, but he's saying he doesn't think our team can match up to teams like Plymouth for an entire match - away from home at least. Absolutely no disrespect to Plymouth, who seem to be going along nicely after a rough start, but imo those comments alone speak volumes about where Eustace sees us as a team. He's probably not wrong, especially after witnessing our last two performances, but yeah... a lot between the lines there.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, den said:

When, year after year you sell your best players and give your manager nothing to replace them with. When you have owners who have no idea about English football appointing under achieving nobodies to run it for them, you eventually get to exactly where we are.

we’re at a point where the squad is too small in numbers and lacking in quality. There’s nothing in midfield, the back four can’t compete even for everyday crosses into the box and up front neither Gueye or Ohashi offer anywhere near enough - and where’s the competition from a third or fourth striker? I don’t think there is any.

Dont blame the manager. I doubt anyone could succeed under those terms. Don’t blame the players either. 

We are set up to fail and until the owners realise that and understand they aren’t capable of changing it, nothing will change.

I agree. They’re giving everything they have and should be supported. They just aren’t good enough to be consistent and grinding out wins and draws is how this season is going to play out. If you look at all the squads in our league we have to be in the bottom five. I’d take most of that Plymouth team over ours and nearly all of coventrys

Edited by Oldgregg86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Devon Rover said:

Do you really need to ask that?

Mentality, physicality. All lacking. We got some wins and should be grateful for the opportunities to have played against 10 men. This is not a good team and it is not being well coached, selected, nor led on or off the pitch.

I think most can see this when not wearing our blue and white tinted glasses. 

It needs a big rethink and a big shakeup for Swansea. But then it needed that for Plymouth.

Hi @chaddyrovers I'm interested in what part of my post and my opinion you felt you should down vote without commenting on? I tend not to down vote other poster's opinions out of courtesy but I guess that is your response to disagreeing with something? Not particularly constructive, or impressive, to be honest. 

• Like 1