BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (a) - 5/10/2024

6 hours ago, NeilInBristol said:

Don't over analyse it.

Quotes taken out of context. 

Listen to him for yourself. He basically implied that after 1-0 the plan was to prevent further goals and try and get an equaliser then see. 

A point away from home is usually what most championship teams go for and that was his game plan. 

Agreed it's not ambitious but it's realistic.

We don't go to away grounds to get a win sadly

When he's got pears in goal, beck on loan and not in the team, Dolan on the wing, he can't exactly expect the lads to get an away win, that's not the quality we have. 

Especially after the midweek loss away 

He was going for a 0-0 or 1-1

Game plan worked well in second half very frustrating we lost it in the end 

Nothing about the game plan worked. The way we set up purposefully leaving our better attackers on the bench meant we offered nothing in attack which invited pressure and we were lucky to keep it only to 1 nil, down to a mixture of poor finishing and a few saves rather than by design.

The idea that we cant go to Plymouth with the intention (carried out with some convinction) of getting a win is ridiculous. His overly negative gameplan was counterproductive.

5 hours ago, DE. said:

I assume the game plan at Preston was similar, as from memory by the 35 minute mark neither side had a shot on goal. I think we do need to be a little more attacking on the road, although I can understand Eustace's attempt to be pragmatic as our defence is susceptible to bring breached. It's a difficult balancing act but we do seem to need a bit of adjustment somewhere. 

The thing is the tactics subsequently made us more vulnerable defensively because we were so passive. I wouldnt expect gung ho attacking but we should be starting our attackers with more quality to try and impose an attacking threat rather than just trying to cling on.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

It would have been a very different game if Weimann had scored in the first few minutes. He should have scored. 

On the winner goal, Pears didn't even put a hand out to stop Whittaker's header either. 

I can understand why Eustace wanted to keep it tight for 60 mins and stop their players influencing the game then go for it attacking them. I also think we need to get crosses into the box when we got Gueye in the team and hold the ball up. We didn't enough of this. 

I would like to see more attacking front 4 where we take the game to Swansea whilst remaining defensive solid.  

They could have had a number of other goals though. Its counterproductive to have such a negative mindset where you purposefully leave your better attackers on the bench.

Their attacking players certainly did influence the game moreso as a result of the tactics. Cissoko had a field day running at a centre back playing out of position. 

18 hours ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Have to say, Gueye was awful. Give me Sam Gallagher back any day. 

We’re all naturally gutted at losing the last two games but let’s hope that Eustace can get us back on track after an excellent start to the season. 

I didn't see yesterday's game but ye gods, how can any striker be worse than Sam Gallagher? It's a difficult proposition to conceive. 

And I think the annual late autumn collapse is very much on

7 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Eustace won’t change, he’s said himself that he prioritises clean sheets. His team set up reflects this

fair enough if thats his plan,it won`t work while he has carter at right back and hyam and pears minding the shop,you need stronger characters if you are going to grind out results,hyam would be the first on the exit list,he`s a right mard arse with concentration issues,he should have been straight out to attack that cross for the second goal yesterday

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

They could have had a number of other goals though. Its counterproductive to have such a negative mindset where you purposefully leave your better attackers on the bench.

Their attacking players certainly did influence the game moreso as a result of the tactics. Cissoko had a field day running at a centre back playing out of position. 

So you had the same opinion on Carter when he played right back in previous 4 games in 3 of those we kept a clean sheet? Or this reaction specifically to the Plymouth game performance? 

If Weimann had scored that early chance we could very well be talking about a different performance and result. Plymouth might have not perform after. We simply don't know. 

I dont agree it's a negative mindset but its about keeping it defensively solid and keep that clean sheet given yourself a chance to win the game 

I also think that last 5 minutes from Dolan before getting hooked was possibly the worst I've ever seen a pro footballer play. Must've given the ball away 5 consecutive times in good positions before a needless booking.

He was absolutely abysmal yesterday and would struggle in a pub league on that showing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bazza said:

How come Hyam was our player of the season and now is one of the worst players in the squad? How can someone change so much?

he`s not a bad player,just soft as **** and not a leader,not what you need when you are under pressure,personified by that late goal yesterday,he should have been out for it first,instead of shying away like a bloody frightened pussy cat,he takes first blame for it closely followed by pears who was flapping about and in no mans land,it would`nt have mattered if hyam had taken charge and challenged for that ball in the box

Hyam is a major weak link at the moment and doesn’t seem to have ever regained his confidence. A spell on the bench is his best chance of rekindling the form of 2 seasons ago. I think there’s a good defender in there somewhere! The back 4 should be JRC/Brittain Carter  Batth and Beck against Swansea. Eustace doesn’t seem like a manager who drops players readily and is liked by the players for being loyal, so I’m concerned Hyam and Pears might be starting for some time yet… 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Gamst said:

Hyam is a major weak link at the moment and doesn’t seem to have ever regained his confidence. A spell on the bench is his best chance of rekindling the form of 2 seasons ago. I think there’s a good defender in there somewhere! The back 4 should be JRC/Brittain Carter  Batth and Beck against Swansea. Eustace doesn’t seem like a manager who drops players readily and is liked by the players for being loyal, so I’m concerned Hyam and Pears might be starting for some time yet… 

Dolan too. Eustace needs to wield the axe. Fed up of seeing shit performances continue to get rewarded.

Edited by G Somerset Rover

1 hour ago, LDRover said:

I also think that last 5 minutes from Dolan before getting hooked was possibly the worst I've ever seen a pro footballer play. Must've given the ball away 5 consecutive times in good positions before a needless booking.

He was absolutely abysmal yesterday and would struggle in a pub league on that showing.

He has had a couple of mares after a good start to the season. 

With the way Swansea play, I'd be very surprised if he doesn't start against them. 

Only just got back, hell of a journey but i'd recommend Plymouth as an away day and stop over it's a good place if you can stomach the trek and usual predictable schoolboy defending.

Game of two halves we deserved nowt in the first half and for all Eustace bemoans the cruel ending we should have been 2 or 3 down by half time, not good enough.

Second half fully deserved a point but i'm fuming with the goal how many fucking times did they swing the ball out there and let it be headed into the danger area ?  

You could absolutely see that coming it wasn't even as if we were clearing the lines well as several times the ball went into the danger area but no one got a touch until eventually one guy got into the right place. It was like watching them practise something on a training ground why the hell didn't the so called leader in Rovers defence send someone across to push the guy wider !

Such naive crap again there's very little excuse for it.

As for Rooney not only does he look like a fat headed bell end he really is one.

• Like 1