BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (a) - 5/10/2024

12 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

To say this is a ‘must win’ is up there with some of the more hyperbolic statements made on here. 

Is it?

So much of this league is about momentum and Plymouth are the worst side in the division. This is coming off a pretty dismal display midweek and a couple of subpar performances in recent weeks. 

In recent seasons, we've seen how quickly good form can turn to bad and it is often driven by poor performances against lowly opposition. This match is of significant importance. 

I strongly believe that, if we don't win this, we will look back on this week as the time the tide turned in our season. 

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Is it?

So much of this league is about momentum and Plymouth are the worst side in the division. This is coming off a pretty dismal display midweek and a couple of subpar performances in recent weeks. 

In recent seasons, we've seen how quickly good form can turn to bad and it is often driven by poor performances against lowly opposition. This match is of significant importance. 

I strongly believe that, if we don't win this, we will look back on this week as the time the tide turned in our season. 

Based on what?

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Real banana skin game this one. Plymouth currently playing quite well.

A defeat for us would be distinctly unsettling.

I saw Plymouth beat Luton recently and their best two players were Cissoko and Whitaker who play out wide and have pace to burn. I believe that our weakest area on Saturday will be at full back if he stays with Carter. I don't often do predictions but I'm more worried about this game than I should be.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ABBEY said:

great. Keep the updates coming 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Is it?

Plymouth played very well last Friday and got their deserved win. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Is it?

A ‘must win’ game in the first week of October is for the birds. And their forward line is superior to ours, so not sure how they can be the worst team in the league. That’s not even opinion, it’s just wrong. 

I’ll be happy with a draw. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Is it?

They have lost once at home this season

A pretty dismal display midweek?They only lost 1-0 to one of the favourites for promotion.

They have beaten both Sunderland and Luton at home 

In recent weeks they have looked alright and have Whittaker, Cissoko and Hardy in attack ,who are not bad options at this level

A draw would not be terrible result here, it is in no way a must win

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Real banana skin game this one. Plymouth currently playing quite well.

A defeat for us would be distinctly unsettling.

Not sure who is going to be at RB but based on their last game, both of Plymouth’s left forwards, Obafemi and Cissoko, seem to be in form. The right forward choice for Rovers could also be significant.

Edited by riverholmes

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

They have lost once at home this season

A pretty dismal display midweek?They only lost 1-0 to one of the favourites for promotion.

In recent weeks they have looked alright and have Whittaker, Cissoko and Hardy in attack ,who are not bad options at this level

A draw would not be terrible result here, it is in no way a must win

I’d take their front 3 over our front 3 every day of the week. 

Edited by Forever Blue

39 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The form was in reference to our own performances. 

2 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

Based on what?

49 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

A ‘must win’ game in the first week of October is for the birds. And their forward line is superior to ours, so not sure how they can be the worst team in the league. That’s not even opinion, it’s just wrong. 

Highlighting one part of their team doesn't prove the point to be wrong. This famed front three is managing to get them an average of goal a game (joint third-worst in the league) and they've failed to score in 4 of their league matches (including 3 of their last 5).

You can disagree with me, but, in all likelihood, they'll find themselves playing in League One next year. Time will tell. 

2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Highlighting one part of their team doesn't prove the point to be wrong. This famed front three is managing to get them an average of goal a game (joint third-worst in the league) and they've failed to score in 4 of their league matches (including 3 of their last 5).

You can disagree with me, but, in all likelihood, they'll find themselves playing in League One next year. Time will tell. 

Currently 6 sides below them in the league so how are they the worst?

5 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Currently 6 sides below them in the league so how are they the worst?

Same way that we are currently 6th in the table and I don't think that we will be in the playoffs come the end of the season?

But, if your way of assessing the quality of a side is purely based on their league standings then, I suppose, I can't argue with it. 

16 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Same way that we are currently 6th in the table and I don't think that we will be in the playoffs come the end of the season?

But, if your way of assessing the quality of a side is purely based on their league standings then, I suppose, I can't argue with it. 

I think the question was what are you basing your assessment on that they are the worst team in the league?

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

How else do you base it?

At the moment, we're the 6th best side in the league because that's where we sit, and also at the moment Plymouth are 7th worst, not the worst.

Come the end of the season, if Plymouth finish rock bottom, or if they hit bottom at any point in the season, then yes you will be correct.

However, your statement right now that they are the worst team in the league is completely wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, London blue said:

I'd just like to see a RB played at RB. We have Britain, JRC and Duru. You could make a case for any of the three. Just not Carter, please.

Brittain isn't fit, JRC is a utility man (although arguably his best performances have come at RB) and Duru has a handful of senior games under his belt.

Carter has more than a season playing RB.