BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Plymouth Argyle (a) - 5/10/2024

19 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Brittain isn't fit, JRC is a utility man (although arguably his best performances have come at RB) and Duru has a handful of senior games under his belt.

Carter has more than a season playing RB.

Brittain is now fit and all three are RBs by trade. Carter was exposed against Coventry. Plymouth also have a quick frontline. I don't want to see him playing RB.

1 hour ago, MarkBRFC said:

How else do you base it?

At the moment, we're the 6th best side in the league because that's where we sit, and also at the moment Plymouth are 7th worst, not the worst.

Come the end of the season, if Plymouth finish rock bottom, or if they hit bottom at any point in the season, then yes you will be correct.

However, your statement right now that they are the worst team in the league is completely wrong.

Well, I'll accept your framework and we can still come to the same conclusion.

The 6th best side should definitely be beating the 7th worst. 

1 hour ago, Forever Blue said:

I think the question was what are you basing your assessment on that they are the worst team in the league?

So, I'm basing it on what I've seen from them so far - admittedly I've only watched 3 of their matches, but that's probably more than most.

I'm basing it on the quality of their overall squad. Their form over an extended period of time (the start of this season and the end of last). As well as what general and expert expectations for the season are (basically joint favourites for relegation, consensus pick for bottom 3/4, etc).

It could be wrong, but I think they're pretty bad and I'd guess that a few on here who will strongly disagree won't have watched a minute of a Plymouth match this season that wasn't part of a highlights package.

It's not really worth arguing over too much. It can be revised in May and I'd be stunned if they aren't in the bottom 3/4 and if any of you really strongly disagree then I'd suggest you make your way over to Betfair and lay them in the relegation market. Fill your boots. 

Edited by Eddie

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Still not arrived 😢

I'd give them a call first thing tomorrow and let them know. They are going off sale at noon but I'd expect them to be sending some down for collection. If it doesn't look like yours will get to you I'd hope they could send you a replacement down for collection.

• Like 1

I think JE will stick with Pears Saturday. Not my choice but on the back of 2 clean sheets before Tuesdays horror show, I still think Pears will be given a game to get back on track.

Right back will be JRC or Brittain.

Carter will go back to CB alongside Hyam or Batth. I suspect Hyam.

Pickering at left back with little choice.

I think Travis will continue but only because he's captain. I think Tronstad will drop out and Baker will come in to freshen it up after Tuesdays leggy performance.

I think Cantwell will start from the bench with Dolan preferred in AM.

Hedges will be back in with ACD on the wings.

Big Mak up top as a focal point.

That leaves some good options on the bench and recovery of some tired legs.

I think JE will be heading their for a draw with the hope we can nick it but will look to get back to basics and solidify after a leaky away night to stop any chance of it developing into a free fall.

I personally expect a similar performance to what we saw last season when JE came in. Very safe and pragmatic.

Edited by Southside Rover

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

Well, I'll accept your framework and we can still come to the same conclusion.

The 6th best side should definitely be beating the 7th worst. 

Coventry 3 Rovers 0 tells you that predicting results based on the current league table, is a folly.

I spoke to my Burnley supporting business partner yesterday, who said Plymouth gave a good account of themselves on Tuesday and thinks, we are in for a tough game.

I would take a point now. 

Edited by lraC
  • Like 5

Plymouth have turned a corner with Rooney it seems. Won't be easy at all, they have some talented players.

I think JE will stick with Pears for now, but if it goes badly then I can see him preparing Toth to come in after the 2 week break.

What I would go with:

Pears

Brittain     Carter    Hyam     Pickering

Travis     Tronstad

Coz-Dub       Cantwell       Sigurdsson

Gueye

2-2 draw.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sharpysharps86 said:

Plymouth have turned a corner with Rooney it seems. Won't be easy at all, they have some talented players.

I think JE will stick with Pears for now, but if it goes badly then I can see him preparing Toth to come in after the 2 week break.

What I would go with:

Pears

Brittain     Carter    Hyam     Pickering

Travis     Tronstad

Coz-Dub       Cantwell       Sigurdsson

Gueye

2-2 draw.

I expect you’re right with that formation, maybe not the players though. What worries me is the defensive back six , it asks a lot of the other four attacking players. Neither of Tronstad or Travis are going to create much in the last third of the pitch. Neither will Pickering. The problem is that Tronstad is probably our most consistent player and Travis is the captain, so neither are likely to be dropped.  What I wouldn’t give to have a Wharton in there to make the play.

If that formation doesn’t keep a clean sheet we’re in trouble because I can’t see us scoring many.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

19 hours ago, London blue said:

Brittain is now fit and all three are RBs by trade. Carter was exposed against Coventry. Plymouth also have a quick frontline. I don't want to see him playing RB.

I'd probably have Carter as favourite in a straight sprint vs Brittain, who is always exposed defensively against anyone with a bit of pace, and huge fav vs JRC in a sprint.

That being said, I'd rather Carter slot inside to CB and Hyam drop to the bench, but I can't see that happening.

I’d go

Toth

JRC.               Hyam.         Carter.       Pickering

Travis.          Tronstad

ACD.                   Cantwell.            Hedges

Gueye

i wouldn’t be against putting Brittain in and swapping hedges out for JRC 

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

We are due a bloody win down there i can't recall one since the Speedie hatrick !

Seems the team travelled down yesterday so the prep should be ok for this one.

Only played there twice since that game.

2-0 defeat in 2018, and a 3-0 defeat last year.

• Like 1

There is no chance JE is dropping Pears.

Tough game tomorrow, Plymouth seem to have improved recently. We usually bounce back after a shocker, like Tuesday. Hoping this weekend is the same. A concern I have is striker options - team have shared the load up to now but I feel we are missing quality up top (not fair for Ohashi to play solo there). If he does move Carter back to CH I would drop Hyam, Baath is far better and has been recently.

I think it will be:

Pears

Carter   Baath   Hyam    Pickering

Travis      Tronstad

Dolan    Cantwell    Hedges

Gueye

1 hour ago, superniko said:

I'd probably have Carter as favourite in a straight sprint vs Brittain, who is always exposed defensively against anyone with a bit of pace, and huge fav vs JRC in a sprint.

That being said, I'd rather Carter slot inside to CB and Hyam drop to the bench, but I can't see that happening.

You're probably right, and yeah, Brittain's positional sense can be a bit lacklustre. 

I just feel against out and out wingers you're better off playing a natural full back. Preferably one with some bite. I'd be playing JRC... if he's fit enough.