BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 19/10/2024

16 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he was 50% at fault for the late plymouth goal,caught in no mans land while hyam decided not to bother attempting to be first to the ball when the cross came over

Not to mention Pickering falling asleep on the far post and allowing their winger an un challenged header back across goal.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, M_B said:

It doesn't make sense that you think Pears is so bad, yet think Eustace will pick him.

Why doesn't it make sense?

Dolan seems to be the first name on the teamsheet and he's a terrible football player. If managers were perfect they wouldn't get sacked all the time. 

• Like 1

My team for today….

Toth

Carter. Batth.  Hyam.  Beck

Travis.  Sonny

ACD.        Dolan.      Cantwell

Gueye

Subs - Pears, Mcfadz, Pickering, JRC, Buckley, Weimann, Baker, Hedges, Ohashi.

Rationale

Rotating the keepers is hard, unlike outfield player, you can’t sub them for that 15 mins to see how they do. But after a couple of poor team performances and losses, this game feels like the one to see Toth.

The back four picks itself based on Brittain not being fit, and Beck being far superior to Pickering. Travis and Sonny as they were.

Cantwell is perfect, tucking in, off the left with Beck pushing forwards. Him or Dolan can do that.

I would give ACD a start and Big Mak up top, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Hedges or Weimann, and Ohashi in front of them.

Rover 3 - 1 Swansea…back in the goals!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Why doesn't it make sense?

Dolan seems to be the first name on the teamsheet and he's a terrible football player. If managers were perfect they wouldn't get sacked all the time. 

The keeper is different. I could understand it If you said surely Eustace will drop him  he's been that bad.

As for Dolan, I think he's played well this season up until the last 3 away games when the team as a whole has been poor.

Not too bothered about this one, other than hoping for some kind of bounce back from the recent kicks in the teeth on our travels. Hopefully JE and the team will have focused in on the obvious failings from those two games, and agreed what the solution should be in terms of changes to the shape of the side.

I know absolutely nothing about Swansea this season, other than they are in the same division and probably have players who can hurt us if we let them play. So, presuming JE and the backroom boys have done some homework and now know what to expect, I'd anticipate an attacking game plan and some cocaine soaked oranges on the sidelines to switch things up into complete go mental mode if the wheels are coming off. Either that or we just park the bus, have a nice cup of tea and wait for the inevitable boos from toothless Jimbo on the Riverside when we get to 67 minutes without a single shot on their goal.

There will be the added incentive of having dropped a few places due to early kick offs, of which there are plenty today, so the players will actually have something to play for.

Games like today are a good barometer of the backbone of the squad. If they have acknowledged the faults that let Cathedral Bombshell Kickaball and Sir Francis Drake's Armada plunder the spoils, then perhaps there is a chance we might turn up clad in a little more resolve. If not, expect there to be more angst, anger, angle grinders and asti-spumante vomit stains around Ewood this evening.

Going for a scrappy 1-0 win, with yet another bit part player chipping in with a goal from nowhere.

It has the potential for another reverse though, so don't be surprised if we ship a couple of goals and only score one in return 1-2

We could, of course, storm home 4-0 with Yuk and Mak bagging a brace apiece.

Dreaming on...

COYB!

• Like 2

Pears made two smart saves to keep us in the game at Plymouth, but lets not mention that it doesn't fit the narrative.

The number of times Plymouth put the ball in the same areas and we didn't clear it but it evaded everyone or their player didn't get on the end of it that late winner was always coming unless we beat the clock.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, London blue said:

It's not a narrative that Pears makes mistakes. 

But the saves he make - as you'd expect of any keeper - are exempt on here, criticism and blame must always come first.

If he was a shite and mistake ridden as a few like to make out he doesn't make those saves and we are already 2 goals behind.

FFS 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tomphil said:

But the saves he make - as you'd expect of any keeper - are exempt on here, criticism and blame must always come first.

If he was a shite and mistake ridden as a few like to make out he doesn't make those saves and we are already 2 goals behind.

FFS 

Tomphil, do you think Pears is a good enough keeper for the Rovers first team ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rigger said:

Tomphil, do you think Pears is a good enough keeper for the Rovers first team ?

Rovers are a bang average championship team who've had a good start to the season in which Pears has played his part. He is an average championship keeper who to date has done nothing to warrant dropping for another unknown at this level.

He did nothing to cost us the game at Plymouth in fact he kept us in it.

Do you think if he'd been replaced at the start of the season we'd be in any different a position than we are now ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tomphil said:

Rovers are a bang average championship team who've had a good start to the season in which Pears has played his part. He is an average championship keeper who to date has done nothing to warrant dropping for another unknown at this level.

Do you think if he'd been replaced at the start of the season we'd be in any different a position than we are now ?

You’d be hard pressed to find 10 instances of him making saves that were out of the ordinary. On the other hand you’d soon find 10 instances were a reasonable viewer would be thinking “ he should have done better with that one “.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

You didn't answer my question. Yes or no, In your opinion is Pears good enough for our first team ?

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

You’d be hard pressed to find 10 instances of him making saves that were out of the ordinary. On the other hand you’d soon find 10 instances were a reasonable viewer would be thinking “ he should have done better with that one “.

Yeah but that isn't the argument here we know he isn't Kaminski or Raya but he hasn't thrown any games this season which to me is a bonus, a sign he might be ironing out his mistakes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

In our current situation yes he is and that seems hard for people to swallow but if he wasn't we wouldn't be in a good position and he'd have been dropped anyway.

If we had a budget to spend a few quid on an established keeper then that's a different argument.

Now maybe you can answer my question.

Edited by tomphil

My team

Toth /JRC, Batth, Carter, Beck / the 2 T's / ADC, Cantwell, Weimann / Gueye

Don't want to see Hyam, Pickering, Baker, Dolan anywhere near that team.

We got off to a good start but think it's clear we flattered to deceive after some of the dross seen over our last 4 games.

Cantwell has to  play the 10 role and be given licence to go anywhere and do what he wants - the one quality offensive player we have with great technique and vision.

Wish Dolan would feck off to another club, IMO, a vastly overrated little upstart.

Difficult one to call without knowing Eustace's selections / tactics for this game.  Think it might be one boring draw.

Edited by Mercer

i`d be tempted to put mcfadzean in today,swansea don`t have any speedsters to trouble him and he`s a leader,give hyam a shock and a big reminder

id`e be dumping pears for toth

dolan would be exiled,possibly forever

i will be amazed if there many changes tbh,i only expect beck to replace pickering and if eustace is picking baker,then at least put him in midfield,placing him on the left is nearly as equally daft as mowbray putting bradley johnson up front on his own🙂

11 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

----------------------------Toth

JRC/Brittain----Carter---Batth---Beck

---------------------Travis------Tronstad

ACD----------------Cantwell-------Weimann 

-------------------------Gueye

He won't play that. Pears, Hyam, Pickering, Dolan and Hedges will all start.

That's my team too, albeit I believe Brittain played for the U21s the other night so probably isn't available. 

• Like 1