BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 19/10/2024

not sure setting up  the way we did today will work against a better side,swansea have the square root of **** all up front,thankfully

gueye did well holding the ball up but the rest of his game is a bit off!!!!!!!

can`t pick anyone who was v good today,the whole side were a bit underwhelming,though carter was excellent and looked a class act,i suspect he`ll be the next they cash in on,after him the cupboard is very bare

• Like 1

Watching that was only slightly preferable to knocking nails through the back of my hand. A truly dreadful performance. We’d had two weeks off and we’d obviously forgotten  what to do with that round leather thing. I’ve been a Eustace fan from day one but that was really dogshit. How we won it I’ll never know, they had at least two tap ins inside the 6 yard line go begging. I’m grateful for the 3 points but my oh my that was poor.

Pears 6 did what he had to do well enough but still doesn’t look like a real keeper for me. He was repeatedly over kicking the ball straight back to Swansea in the second half. He needs a smaller club in future. Don’t say Accrington.

JRC 5 Lethargic like many of his team mates

Carter 6 Did what he had to do , steady performance.

Hyan 6 Same as Carter.

Beck 7 My MOM, I like his aggression, we’re sadly short of that in the team, but he needs to temper it with a bit of nous. Once he’d been booked they started shovelling the ball to their right hand side to try and get him another card.

Tronstad 6 Steady enough but he obviously gets a nosebleed if he ventures over the half way line

Travis 6 The usual Trav performance. I’m not sure we can afford two water carriers in the same team.

Hedges 5 I’d forgotten he was playing.

Dolan 5 The usual mixture of good and bad with a lot bad today.

Cantwell 6 Tried hard but he’s not a left winger. I’d have had him in centre midfield with Hedges on the left and Dolan on the right today.

Gueye 5 I think he went back home during his suspension and his twin brother came back in his place. We don’t play to his strengths though.

subs

Brittain 5 Proved he’s not a right back.

Weimann 5 Wasted the one good chance that came his way

Ohashi 6 Looked lively when he came on but got no service as usual.

Baker - Only on in time added on.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 6
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Watching that was only slightly preferable to knocking nails through the back of my hand. A truly dreadful performance. We’d had two weeks off and we’d obviously forgotten  what to do with that round leather thing. I’ve been a Eustace fan from day one but that was really dogshit. How we won it I’ll never know, they had at least two tap ins inside the 6 yard line go begging. I’m grateful for the 3 points but my oh my that was poor.

Pears 6 did what he had to do well enough but still doesn’t look like a real keeper for me. He was repeatedly over kicking the ball straight back to Swansea in the second half. He needs a smaller club in future

JRC 5 Lethargic like many of his team mates

Carter 6 Did what he had to do , steady performance.

Hyan 6 Same as Carter.

Beck 7 My MOM, I like his aggression, we’re sadly short of that in the team, but he needs to temper it with a bit of nous. Once he’d been booked they started shovelling the ball to their right hand side to try and get him another card.

Tronstad 6 Steady enough but he obviously gets a nosebleed if he ventures over the half way line

Travis 6 The usual Trav performance. I’m not sure we can afford two water carriers in the same team.

Hedges 5 I’d forgotten he was playing.

Dolan 5 The usual mixture of good and bad with a lot bad today.

Cantwell 6 Tried hard but he’s not a left winger. I’d have had him in centre midfield with Hedges on the left and Dolan on the right today.

Gueye 5 I think he went back home during his suspension and his twin brother came back in his place. We don’t play to his strengths though.

subs

Brittain 5 Proved he’s not a right back.

Weimann 5 Wasted the one good chance that came his way

Ohashi 6 Looked lively when he came on but got no service as usual.

Baker - Only on in time added on.

I agree it was a bad performance but giving Cantwell a 6 is so far off the mark imo. Swansea had a couple of chances and nothing more. We'll take it. 

• Like 1

Looked like we got away with a push from Gueye leading up to Dolan's goal,really pleased to see him score.

A difficult watch today at times, but to win 5 on the bounce at home is surely beyond anyone's expectations. A couple of away performances apart, it has been a fantastic start.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Ricky said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but I don’t get our goal kick tactics. Pears rolls it to Hyam, Hyam back to pears, pears goes long. We did it over and over again and it just made no sense at all. All we do is make it harder for our very average keeper to clear the ball. We have exactly the outcome as if he just kicked it long in the first place.

seems to be the modern game of wanting to knock it around at the back when it’s really not needed.

Our passing is aimless.  No other word for it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

That was a hard watch.  Our passing and first touch is dire and time after time a lack of pace means we turn over the ball.  

Wins a win though. 

The lack of pace is startling - they had a break from a corner (why Beck is taking corners and not sat as our deepest player I'll never know) in the second half and pretty much every single one of their players was outpacing ours as they all streamed into our half.

You see it every game - after about 20 minutes teams realise we can't hurt them over the top so they play a high line and press us in our own half. We had multiple opportunities today to slide through a player / bang it over the top for someone to run on to, but Hedges / Dolan / Cantwell / Gueye / Ohashi / Weimann simply aren't quick enough for that style of play. 

Thankfully Eustace has set us up to be very difficult to beat.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

not sure setting up  the way we did today will work against a better side,swansea have the square root of **** all up front,thankfully

gueye did well holding the ball up but the rest of his game is a bit off!!!!!!!

can`t pick anyone who was v good today,the whole side were a bit underwhelming,though carter was excellent and looked a class act,i suspect he`ll be the next they cash in on,after him the cupboard is very bare

Gueye had a tap in if Dolan rolls the ball across the goal instead of shooting. He had nothing to feed off today, again. We don't put any crosses into the box. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Our passing is aimless.  No other word for it. 

It was too soft, then  too hard etc. Loads of times we got the pace on the ball wrong.
I said to my son at half time - “ Well there’s one thing, we can’t play that bad again in the second half “.  I was wrong.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I dread to think what the scoreline would have been with Pickering playing.

Their right winger was a confident lad but Beck absolutely out played him. 

Beck isn’t the sort of player you look forward to playing against if you’re a winger. You know you’ll be in for a hard time.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Beck isn’t the sort of player you look forward to playing against if you’re a winger. You know you’ll be in for a hard time.

Agreed. He's aggressive and tight to his opponent at all times stopping them turning and pushing them back towards their own goal.

Contrast that with Brittain who gives 5-10 yards every time and is half arsed at best in trying to stop balls into the box.

• Like 1

As shit as we were on the ball, I thought we were very good out of possession and defending our box. Wasn't half a tough watch though. We have to improve our passing/ball retention.

Beck the standout player for me. Love his aggression and confidence to get forward. Excellent signing so far. 

• Like 1

Post international break or not, the lack of interest on here in comparison to 3 or 4 games ago is startling. Are people losing interest already this season? 🤔 

Let's be honest we haven't played well that many times this season, the home record is somehow intact but someone like Leeds would have bagged a few today, no 2 ways about it.

West Brom are in pretty gash form with only 1 win in 5, still feel as though they'll offer more than Swansea up top though.

12 minutes ago, LDRover said:

Agreed. He's aggressive and tight to his opponent at all times stopping them turning and pushing them back towards their own goal.

Contrast that with Brittain who gives 5-10 yards every time and is half arsed at best in trying to stop balls into the box.

Beck set his stall out early on with a great sliding tackle under pressure.

Really boring game and not one many/any will have enjoyed but its all about the result and our perfect home form continues.

I think defensively we defended our box well against a poor side, especially as we became deep and couldnt get the ball to stick. Beck is standout and I also thought that JRC did well, by far our best RB despite rubbish theories about him not being someone who can play there for Eustace. The defence has a better balance to it and I thought the often derided Hyam stood out with some really good interventions. Tronstad is such a reliable player in front of them too.

We do have issues going forward though and whilst I feel confidence in knowing that Eustace can have us organised, I dont have that much in him creating a platform for a good attack so there will be lots of bore fests. Cantwell stood out and playing him wide to accomodate Dolan (who goal aside, if he indeed gets the goal from a mishit and deflected shot wasnt otherwise very effective and seems to be getting slower) seems a strange choice to me when he is clearly our stand out player. Hedges again did nothing of note either and we lack pace on the counter which puts more pressure on our defence.

The striking position becomes more of a worry as the novelty of the 2 new strikers wears off. Gueye must be so difficult to play with because hes so unpredictable and unorthodox, and is unfortunately looking like a bit more of a donkey with each passing game, does the odd chest/knock down but has a tendency to break down attacks. Ohashi's sub appearance was just a consistent stream of poor passes which led to us handing possession straight back, unless he scores his general game is lacking.

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Post international break or not, the lack of interest on here in comparison to 3 or 4 games ago is startling. Are people losing interest already this season? 🤔 

Let's be honest we haven't played well that many times this season, the home record is somehow intact but someone like Leeds would have bagged a few today, no 2 ways about it.

West Brom are in pretty gash form with only 1 win in 5, still feel as though they'll offer more than Swansea up top though.

Well if we had Leeds' budget I'm sure we'd have banged more past Swansea. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ricky said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but I don’t get our goal kick tactics. Pears rolls it to Hyam, Hyam back to pears, pears goes long. We did it over and over again and it just made no sense at all. All we do is make it harder for our very average keeper to clear the ball. We have exactly the outcome as if he just kicked it long in the first place.

seems to be the modern game of wanting to knock it around at the back when it’s really not needed.

Nothing like a hefty kick into the oppositions half, plain and simple.

• Like 2

Could'nt have asked for a better result, 100% home record still intact, but same old Rovers, clinging on to a slender 1-0 lead. We were under intense pressure near the end. A deserved man of the match award for Cantwell, who must be in the starting line up for the W.B.A. game, also I thought Gueye had a good game winning lots of tackles in midfield, and holding the ball well. Great to see Owen Beck back in the team, he put in some fantastic tackles, when we were under pressure. Wev'e got to learn to be more ruthless, and put games to sleep. Well done Rovers, 100% home record still intact.

• Like 2