BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 19/10/2024

Tough watch but I thought we looked organised out of possession. In spells earlier in the first half I thought we actually looked really good and played some good football. Once the goal went in we got bodies behind the ball and surrendered possession. I'd complain about it if we hadn't won the game but the manager had a game plan and executed it so it's only fair we give credit where it's due. Today wasn't about the performance, it was about getting a result and we did that. 

I thought Gueye did his usual thing where he started well but drifted out of the game. 

Cantwell looked threatening and had quality on the ball. 

Tronstad was his usual busy self, tidy, grafted well, earned his coin. 

Owen Beck was outstanding and the best player on the pitch, premier league quality. Not exactly hard to work out that he comes back in and we get a clean sheet and 3 points. 

There's a lot of negativity knocking around, I get it after 2 poor results and the performance not being great but I think we need some perspective. West Brom haven't won in 4 games now and look at all the teams below us that have spent bigger this summer. We're top 6, unbeaten at home, 4 clean sheets in 6 and competing a lot better than everyone expected so far... We're a tough side to beat, there are plenty of positives going unnoticed. A win against West Brom is certainly not out of the question. None of us should be expecting to dominate and play teams off the pitch, we're a team where the manager has to do his best to squeeze results out of and that's what he's doing. That said, I do think our players are capable of better performances and they will come. 

TOP 6 FOLKS! Enjoy your Saturday night. 👍🏻

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Gueye had a tap in if Dolan rolls the ball across the goal instead of shooting. He had nothing to feed off today, again. We don't put any crosses into the box. 

I thought our decision making on the ball was terrible. We consistently took the wrong approach. Who was it that burst into an open space on our left hand side in the second half and then decided it would be a good idea to hammer the ball over to the other wing and out of play ? Just one example of our dumb football.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

20 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought our decision making on the ball was terrible. We consistently took the wrong approach. Who was it that burst into an open space on our left hand side in the second half and then decided it would be a good idea to hammer the ball over to the other wing and out of play ? Just one example of our dumb football.

Beck. He had an excellent game, to be fair. He certainly makes you realise how much of a plodder Pickering is.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Well if we had Leeds' budget I'm sure we'd have banged more past Swansea. 

Well obviously but our budget won't change now, but our opposition will 🙄

Swansea have lost 4 out of 5 away 1 nil for a reason.

4 minutes ago, ChrisyG said:

Beck. He had an excellent game, to be fair. He certainly makes you realise how much of a plodder Pickering is.

Beck’s what I look for in a full back. Quick, likes a tackle, he’s aggressive, doesn’t take a backward step, excellent decision making, good with the ball at his feet. He’ll go far.

Hammering that ball out of play was unlike him.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

• Backroom
41 minutes ago, Neal said:

West Brom haven't won in 4 games now

A win against West Brom is certainly not out of the question.

Feels like it is after you mentioned that stat 😅 but yeah, we seem to know how to get results at Ewood so in theory no reason we can't beat West Brom as well.

I'm mainly relieved that we've cut off the downward spiral before it got going. Gives me some hope that Eustace is the one to finally get a grip on our tendency to collapse when things start going against us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Beck’s what I look for in a full back. Quick, likes a tackle, he’s aggressive, doesn’t take a backward step, excellent decision making, good with the ball at his feet. He’ll go far.

Hammering that ball out of play was unlike him.

It was the only thing he did wrong during the entire game.

I agree. I didn't see him get caught out of position either. For someone who looks a bit lightweight, he doesn't get pushed around. His aggression and determination make up for it. There are a lot of full-backs nowadays who are good going forward but not as good at defending. He can do both.

• Like 1

I never expected a good performance today after two rotten away days. It was all about getting the win and building confidence again.

To have won our first five home games in a row at the start of a season for the first time in 30 years is some achievement. And to be in the top 6 after ten games is impressive given how poor we were last season and after losing our best player in the summer.

Eustace is doing a very good job.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, ChrisyG said:

It was the only thing he did wrong during the entire game.

I agree. I didn't see him get caught out of position either. For someone who looks a bit lightweight, he doesn't get pushed around. His aggression and determination make up for it. There are a lot of full-backs nowadays who are good going forward but not as good at defending. He can do both.

Not knocking the lad after a great display, but he got caught out of position late on, and was very fortunate to not pick up a second yellow.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LDRover said:

Agreed. He's aggressive and tight to his opponent at all times stopping them turning and pushing them back towards their own goal.

Contrast that with Brittain who gives 5-10 yards every time and is half arsed at best in trying to stop balls into the box.

Give any winger 5 or 10 yards to run at you and you’re in trouble.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

we`ll have to be a lot sharper in possesion against a very good west brom,we  can`t give  the ball away as much as we did today,swansea have nothing up front,west brom have miles more firepower

We look very vulnerable at the back a lot of the time. We do seem to be quite wasteful at times as well.

I can see us winning against west brom and then losing the next game to some really soft shit goals.

Swansea fans saying it's a typical performance again by them, turn up and look for 70% possession, nulify home team and just hope someone produces something out of the blue.

Have to say they've been like that on the road for years now and it's the ultimate going nowhere football, we know we had a season of it after being modelled on them and finishing 15th.

Either way it's never easy to play against.

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Swansea fans saying it's a typical performance again by them, turn up and look for 70% possession, nulify home team and just hope someone produces something out of the blue.

Have to say they've been like that on the road for years now and it's the ultimate going nowhere football, we know we had a season of it after being modelled on them and finishing 15th.

Either way it's never easy to play against.

I thought they played quite well until they got near our goal. They looked pretty toothless then. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Post international break or not, the lack of interest on here in comparison to 3 or 4 games ago is startling. Are people losing interest already this season? 🤔 

Let's be honest we haven't played well that many times this season, the home record is somehow intact but someone like Leeds would have bagged a few today, no 2 ways about it.

West Brom are in pretty gash form with only 1 win in 5, still feel as though they'll offer more than Swansea up top though.

Just home from the game. I'm genuinely impressed we dug out a win whilst playing poorly. Defensive effort was good from most of the team and the central defenders played well. Beck was very good and is clearly already a key player for us. JRC looks a shadow of his former self, very low on confidence. Cantwell was good and looks to be getting up to speed. The big concerns aren't new: A worrying lack of basic ability to pass the ball with much accuracy at all, central midfield lacking in numbers and/or a good balance of players, and no pace going forward. A win is a win and I'm very happy with the league position after 10 games. I can't help feeling it's all a bit surreal...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I thought they played quite well until they got near our goal. They looked pretty toothless then. 

Hence the 'possession football then just hope someone does something out of the blue' comments iv'e been reading.

We rode our luck today. We got lucky. 

I can't help feeling that if Cantwell was to be used centrally we would be more pleasing on the eye. 

I still have a feeling that Eustace doesn't really know his best starting 11.

Win against West Bromwich Albion and I'll start to believe. 

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

We look very vulnerable at the back a lot of the time. We do seem to be quite wasteful at times as well.

I can see us winning against west brom and then losing the next game to some really soft shit goals.

This could be a commentary on almost every single team in the championship tbf.

• Like 1