BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 19/10/2024

15 minutes ago, Aqualung said:

We rode our luck today. We got lucky. 

I can't help feeling that if Cantwell was to be used centrally we would be more pleasing on the eye. 

I still have a feeling that Eustace doesn't really know his best starting 11.

Win against West Bromwich Albion and I'll start to believe. 

Said exactly the same walking out today, Eustace  still doesn't know his first 11.

I think it's true of a lot of teams, it's just that Eustace has managed to find a way to get a result.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ricky said:

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but I don’t get our goal kick tactics. Pears rolls it to Hyam, Hyam back to pears, pears goes long. We did it over and over again and it just made no sense at all. All we do is make it harder for our very average keeper to clear the ball. We have exactly the outcome as if he just kicked it long in the first place.

seems to be the modern game of wanting to knock it around at the back when it’s really not needed.

Totally agree with the above.

Pears kicks longer if it's done the standard way, the way we do it the 🏀 is too near his feet, he has no run up, under press and loses distance and accuracy, of which he has little anyway.

It's the new thing with coaches trying to prove they do something, well, yes they do like lemmings following Pep doctrine.

Swansea couldn't score in the bars I "used" to frequent.

• Like 2

Extended highlights courtesy of Swansea 

That's a good bit of play early on when Gueye controls in the box, turns and makes a clever pass to Dolan who chips a great ball across that was asking for it to be nodded into the net in the centre.

Beck was superb, Cantwell showed his class at times but he's not the fastest and got a look from Beck when he was chasing an attacker on the break.

Swansea dominated possession and the middle third of the pitch. They have a game built of getting the ball to Grimes but didn't create the chances. They still had about 3 good chances to score but so had we with Weiman failing twice. He should have passed to Yuki, that was greedy.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

Fair do's, that's true.

I'm happy that we've managed to fortify Ewood somewhat again. When was the last time we had that?

Just need to translate that to the away form.

Agreed. It's a long time since teams would've been wary about coming to Ewood - probably back to the Hughes era. I bet not many teams fancy coming to our gaff now.

Back to the game, I thought Beck was immense (bar one error). Prem beckons for that lad, make the most of it this year lads & lasses.

Cantwell was great but, bloody hell, he's not keen on getting stuck in. Would've been my MotM but for wimping out of quite a few tackles, especially early on. Even Beck had a go at him once, then Trav, then Carter. Much better 2nd half though tbf. Think he might've had a bollocking at HT.

Not much else to add really,  shit game, 3pts, move on to the next.

• Like 1

The defending today was top quality facing sustained pressure from Swansea having 66% possession.

I thought we would be undone at the back when I saw the selection but every player at the back was excellent.

Dolan had a much better game while Cantwell and Beck both showed they are different class.

Urgent need to work on ball retention when we are in possession but overall this is a Rovers squad making progress under Eustace.

We needed to win ugly and we did.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Aqualung said:

We rode our luck today. We got lucky. 

I can't help feeling that if Cantwell was to be used centrally we would be more pleasing on the eye. 

Win against West Bromwich Albion and I'll start to believe. 

You make your own luck, and this sequence of home wins is more down to good management and coaching than luck.

I don't think we'll finish in the top six, but who would've thought we'd be in it any stage this season?

A solid midtable season would constitute significant progress following last season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cesus said:

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to enjoy the wins regardless of the performance.

We've got a team that tries but lacks overall quality, I think even though we lost Sammie making us weaker, overall we actually have a bench this season that makes the manager willing to make subs so we are a bit stronger.

We will have some awful performances like the last 2 away games. We will have some games when all the inconsistent players click and have some really good wins.

Overall it's going to be a season of grind. I can accept that with the chronic lack of investment the manager has to play with.

I make it 4 poor performances on the bounce. Something will have to change.

12 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I also thought that JRC did well, by far our best RB despite rubbish theories about him not being someone who can play there for Eustace.

JRC didn't influence the game from there or get into the box like he can do from playing further forward which is my preference. Did fine defensively but I would have Brittain there on Wednesday and going forward. 

Cantwell stood out and playing him wide to accomodate Dolan (who goal aside, if he indeed gets the goal from a mishit and deflected shot wasnt otherwise very effective and seems to be getting slower) seems a strange choice to me when he is clearly our stand out player. 

No Cantwell plays wide left cos that is where he is best can he can go either side and his best form at Norwich came from wide left. He can roam from the left like he did several times yesterday and he linked him well with Dolan. 

TBH, I thought Dolan had a good game and he scored again. 

The striking position becomes more of a worry as the novelty of the 2 new strikers wears off. Gueye must be so difficult to play with because hes so unpredictable and unorthodox, and is unfortunately looking like a bit more of a donkey with each passing game, does the odd chest/knock down but has a tendency to break down attacks. Ohashi's sub appearance was just a consistent stream of poor passes which led to us handing possession straight back, unless he scores his general game is lacking.

more of a donkey? do we play to either of their strengths by getting the ball into the box for Gueye to score or play on the counter with suits Ohashi? 

12 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Beck’s what I look for in a full back. Quick, likes a tackle, he’s aggressive, doesn’t take a backward step, excellent decision making, good with the ball at his feet. He’ll go far.

Hammering that ball out of play was unlike him.

Stephen Warnock like. 

9 hours ago, Aqualung said:

to be honest, I find this best starting 11 motto is out dated cos more head coaches will pick players and starting 11 based on what the tactics are for the game, who they are playing and what strengths they have. 

4 hours ago, cesus said:

I've come to the conclusion that I'm just going to enjoy the wins regardless of the performance.

We've got a team that tries but lacks overall quality, I think even though we lost Sammie making us weaker, overall we actually have a bench this season that makes the manager willing to make subs so we are a bit stronger.

We will have some awful performances like the last 2 away games. We will have some games when all the inconsistent players click and have some really good wins.

Overall it's going to be a season of grind. I can accept that with the chronic lack of investment the manager has to play with.

Once into the grind of the Championship season it's easily forgotten the fact we're owned and run by cunts - especially when we're in a good position in the table.

Eustace should be given a bucket load of credit for the points accumulated thus far, regardless of how they've been come by.

We're destined for lower mid table and won't get higher until the wretches sell, so personally I'm going to enjoy this brief flirtation with the play offs. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

JRC didn't influence the game from there or get into the box like he can do from playing further forward which is my preference. Did fine defensively but I would have Brittain there on Wednesday and going forward. 

No Cantwell plays wide left cos that is where he is best can he can go either side and his best form at Norwich came from wide left. He can roam from the left like he did several times yesterday and he linked him well with Dolan. 

TBH, I thought Dolan had a good game and he scored again. 

more of a donkey? do we play to either of their strengths by getting the ball into the box for Gueye to score or play on the counter with suits Ohashi? 

Stephen Warnock like. 

to be honest, I find this best starting 11 motto is out dated cos more head coaches will pick players and starting 11 based on what the tactics are for the game, who they are playing and what strengths they have. 

JRC is better defensively than Brittain who is really poor at preventing crosses. The defensive aspect of being a full back seems often to be dismissed when judging them nowadays. 

I disagree that Cantwell is best wide left. He is a technical player who can take the ball in tight spaces. He is also not the best defensively. It feels like he is being put left as to not move Dolan who is nowhere near as good.

You mention playing to those players strengths. If Gueye's strengths are feeding off crosses, he seems a strange signing as we dont have good crossers or any real width in the squad. Ohashi came on at a time when we were playing on the counter and he wasted a number of potential opportunites to counter due to regularly messing up fairly simple passes. Hes not fast either so im not sure that he is suited on the counter.

I still think there are huge question marks over both, especially Gueye. I suppose we got them both for very cheap due to the owners not giving a shit and not making a decent budget available, and in the main you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

Crucial win yesterday, when the result mattered far more than the performance after 2 defeats on the spin.

Even more important to get those 3 points when you look at the next 3 games. 2 teams above Rovers in the table and one not too far behind. We could easily be looking at 3 defeats in a row, but hopefully not.

Nice to be in the top 6 but its so tight, anyone from Burnley down to Watford could be top after a couple more games. Still, 10 games in, I don't think any of us expected to be 6th. 16th would've been a more realistic expectation!

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

JRC is better defensively than Brittain who is really poor at preventing crosses. The defensive aspect of being a full back seems often to be dismissed when judging them nowadays. 

I disagree that Cantwell is best wide left. He is a technical player who can take the ball in tight spaces. He is also not the best defensively. It feels like he is being put left as to not move Dolan who is nowhere near as good.

You mention playing to those players strengths. If Gueye's strengths are feeding off crosses, he seems a strange signing as we dont have good crossers or any real width in the squad. Ohashi came on at a time when we were playing on the counter and he wasted a number of potential opportunites to counter due to regularly messing up fairly simple passes. Hes not fast either so im not sure that he is suited on the counter.

I still think there are huge question marks over both, especially Gueye. I suppose we got them both for very cheap due to the owners not giving a shit and not making a decent budget available, and in the main you get what you pay for.

If you rolled JRC and Brittain into one you wouldn’t have a full back as effective as Beck.

If you play Cantwell out wide left you’re hanging Beck out to dry because he’ll do the bare minimum of defensive work. Putting that to one side, Cantwell is nowhere near quick enough to play out wide. At the moment he’s actually slow.  I was shocked yesterday when he got in a foot race for a loose ball about 15 yards away with a Swansea defender.  He looked like he was running in quicksand. The Swansea player easily out paced him. He needs to play more centrally and not have to do as much defending. We bought him to create, not to track back all afternoon.

Regarding the strikers. Neither got much in the way of service. Gueye hasn’t picked up since the sending off at Burnley. He looked like a fish riding a bike yesterday. He over played that pass to Dolan in the first half for instance. Ohashi always looks lively but without service any striker will look out of it. He needs balls he can attack.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I forgot about the QPR game. I make that 5 poor performances. Maybe it’s the shape of things to come.

There have been 3 clean sheets in that period. That’s the managers admitted focus, so the team are performing well. 

If it’s fast attacking football you want then Rovers probably aren’t the team to watch. Personally, I enjoy the fact that most weeks we are out-battling teams with greater resources and doing the shirt proud. A lot of the credit for that goes to the manager.

Edited by Forever Blue

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If you rolled JRC and Brittain into one you wouldn’t have a full back as effective as Beck.

If you play Cantwell out wide left you’re hanging Beck out to dry because he’ll do the bare minimum of defensive work. Putting that to one side, Cantwell is nowhere near quick enough to play out wide. At the moment he’s actually slow.  I was shocked yesterday when he got in a foot race for a loose ball about 15 yards away with a Swansea defender.  He looked like he was running in quicksand. The Swansea player easily out paced him. He needs to play more centrally and not have to do as much defending. We bought him to create, not to track back all afternoon.

Regarding the strikers. Neither got much in the way of service. Gueye hasn’t picked up since the sending off at Burnley. He looked like a fish riding a bike yesterday. He over played that pass to Dolan in the first half for instance. Ohashi always looks lively but without service any striker will look out of it. He needs balls he can attack.

I agree on Cantwell. Get him in that position where he can get on the ball more in areas that suit him and has less defensively to do. 

Rankin Costello is a good full back at this level and has struggled with positional changes elsewhere. He isnt the liability that Brittain is and he helps to link our team from defence to attack.

With Ohashi, he has to try and offer more in general play. Numerous attacks broke down as a direct result of really poor (and simple to execute) passes that may have led to him then having chances after that had the attack continued. Gueye must be so hard to play with because he isnt an intelligent footballer nor is he technically any good.

5 minutes ago, Forever Blue said:

There have been 3 clean sheets in that period. That’s the managers admitted focus, so the team are performing well. 

If it’s fast attacking football you want then Rovers probably aren’t the team to watch. Personally, I enjoy the fact that most weeks we are out-battling teams with greater resources and doing the shirt proud. A lot of the credit for that goes to the manager.

I have started asking myself, are the teams we are playing at home really shit, or are we making them look shit ?

• Like 1