BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 19/10/2024

26 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Prices, constantly winning are two of the contributing factors of poor crowds as well as you say dodgy streaming. But their are other things such as ease of getting tickets, car parking costing the earth and where to go before and after the match means that the whole experience is not worth the hassle especially if the football is crap

When I first got really interested in the game I was playing schoolboy football. After the Saturday morning game me and my mates would say “ Right, where are we going this afternoon  ? Blackburn, Bolton, Burnley, Utd, City, Bury, Oldham, occasionally Rochdale ? Somebody would say “ Spurs are at Bolton let’s go there “. So we’d all jump on the train, pay at the gate, and you were in. Dirt cheap and some great players that you rarely saw on tv. Rovers were a great team to watch then so a lot of the time it was the bus over the tops to Ewood.

You can’t do that today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Another thing that is killing the attendances is “ magic boxes “ . I know guys who’ve paid £80-£100 for a dodgy box that enables them to watch every game known to man. You name a game, anywhere in the world, they can watch it. Rovers home and away - no problem - for what is basically free. Rovers won’t be getting a penny.

So if the football is dull, as it is at present, they don’t get out of the arm chair and they keep their money in their wallet.

This is one of the major problem now is people can watch PL football, championship football, Spanish football, Etc for very little money over a year. The authorities are clamping down on it tho.  

I worked with a Man Utd fan who watched every United game from home and never has to leave his armchair to watch any game. He would have watched his 4 games of football yesterday and I'm sure it will be 4 more games today. 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

This is one of the major problem now is people can watch PL football, championship football, Spanish football, Etc for very little money over a year. The authorities are clamping down on it tho.  

I worked with a Man Utd fan who watched every United game from home and never has to leave his armchair to watch any game. He would have watched his 4 games of football yesterday and I'm sure it will be 4 more games today. 

I know people like that. They wouldn’t go if you gave them a free ticket. What the answer is I don’t know. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

40 minutes ago, ageoftherover said:

Was Gueye really claiming that? Can't for the life of me see anything approaching a touch. Looked like it hit a Swansea player if anything.

I can understand him wanting to claim it and ideally, I wish it was his. He is a CF and they need to score goals, we will shortly hit 10 league games and he hasn’t scored yet and so that really must be getting to him and worrying all Rovers fans.

• Like 1

Looking at Swansea's results this season puts yesterday in a slightly different light, I think. All of their games are low scoring affairs apart from a single 3-0 win against PNE. Nobody's put more than one goal past them all year, and they've dominated the ball every time they've played bar one. 

Taking that into account, yesterday was always going to be a tough watch. But it's also a game that we could've very easily lost, and 100% would've lost last season. A very good three points where we were great off the ball, even if we were poor going forward. 

I think part of how bad we looked with the ball of our feet was linked to our lack of pace. I lost count of the number of times we gave the ball away by playing passes in front of Dolan/Cantwell/Hedges but they were beaten to it by a Swansea defender. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I just want players who can successfully pass the ball to players wearing the same colour shirt. The ball retention yesterday was awful. Get that right and we’ll look a much better team.

The passing only broke down yesterday in the final third - i.e. because our complete lack of pace against a team playing a high line meant we had nowhere to go with the ball besides 25/75s (usually 50/50s, but Dolan running after anything is a negative).

The reason that streaming has become such a big issue is because of the extortionate cost of buying all of the TV packages.

You throw in the total disregard to match going fans in terms of moving so many games, coupled with the fact that as expected, the constantly increasing TV deals notably with Sky do not lead to a reduction in ticket prices. And it is little wonder that streaming is now so popular at a tiny fraction of the cost. Its a mess of the broadcasters and clubs own making.

There has been talk of clamping down on it for years but it feels beyond that point now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Really, tell that to the bottom half of the premiership or the yo-yo clubs. Surviving is the be all and end all and if winning an occasional match happens then thats a bonus

Their fans are often pretty unhappy with their lot. 

34 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I know people like that. They wouldn’t go if you gave them a free ticket. What the answer is I don’t know. 

I missed yesterday’s game and I literally couldn’t give my season ticket away. Nobody was interested.

Edited by Hasta

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Season tickets might go up a bit, a thousand or two, but the days of filling Ewood are over. As a spectacle the game just isn’t attractive enough. Yesterday I caught myself thinking “ If football had have been like this back in the day would I have got involved ? “

The Town of Blackburn is financially on its arse,a lot of people really struggling.Yet we have commercial pushing £100+ a game corporate box tickets and they wonder why the take up is low?.

We are currently the third worst supported team in this league.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ageoftherover said:

Was Gueye really claiming that? Can't for the life of me see anything approaching a touch. Looked like it hit a Swansea player if anything.

The two players are worlds apart, but if Gueye was Alan Shearer his hand would have been raised and he’d have ran the touchline taking in the applause. Dolan’s done an interview saying “Gueye has said I can have it”, if I was a manager that would ring alarm bells, your first choice striker should be claiming absolutely anything they can. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

JRC is better defensively than Brittain who is really poor at preventing crosses. The defensive aspect of being a full back seems often to be dismissed when judging them nowadays. 

Brittain would start there on Wednesday and I would look at playing JRC from the right where he can get into the box and sore goals. Yesterday not once did he look a goal threat

I disagree that Cantwell is best wide left. He is a technical player who can take the ball in tight spaces. He is also not the best defensively. It feels like he is being put left as to not move Dolan who is nowhere near as good.

How can you disagree when his best spell in his career was at Norwich from left side of Attack? 

Eustace doesn't play with a technical player as his ten whether it was Szmodics or Dolan or Weimann. You don't see to understand that. JDT was the same. They want a player who can score from there, press from the front and workhorse. 

Cantwell played from the left and at times roam around the pitch so Eustace isn't pigeonholing into a position but allow him to roam like Hughes did with Bentley during his time here. 

You mention playing to those players strengths. If Gueye's strengths are feeding off crosses, he seems a strange signing as we dont have good crossers or any real width in the squad. Ohashi came on at a time when we were playing on the counter and he wasted a number of potential opportunites to counter due to regularly messing up fairly simple passes. Hes not fast either so im not sure that he is suited on the counter.

Gueye's strengths are there to see, holding the ball up, being a physical presence for the team. Also he like to run down the side of defenders when we play the ball through(example the Derby game). He can head the ball if we put the ball into the box but we are a team who don't created loads of chances. 

On Yuki, he is workhorse and reminds me of former striker Paul Dickov in terms of work rate. His goals have been 3 on the counter attack after winning the ball back(Derby and Bristol City games)and diving header at Norwich hence my comments 

I still think there are huge question marks over both, especially Gueye.

I don't have such questions marks like yourself but more wanted to how they develop and play in the coming months especially Yuki Ohashi playing so much before he joined us.  

1 minute ago, J*B said:

The two players are worlds apart, but if Gueye was Alan Shearer his hand would have been raised and he’d have ran the touchline taking in the applause. Dolan’s done an interview saying “Gueye has said I can have it”, if I was a manager that would ring alarm bells, your first choice striker should be claiming absolutely anything they can. 

There was a very strange occurrence in the second half. Gueye got pulled up  for a foul in the Swansea box. It looked a harsh decision, and Gueye didn't agree with it. For some reason he then threw himself to the floor and rolled around as if hurt, then got up and walked away. He will become a marked man by refs, if he carries on with these expressive outbursts.  

43 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Same here

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The reason that streaming has become such a big issue is because of the extortionate cost of buying all of the TV packages.

for a new customer with Sky it would cost them £40 per month for Sky Entertainment package including Netflix plus Sky Sports. Fully worth it if you want to watch Sports, etc. You not agree? 

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Third lowest gates doesn't make us third worst supported. This is a small town in a sea of city/region clubs.

the real reason we`ve got sub 15000 crowds is the fact we`ve got terrible owners and a w****r as a ceo,nothing to do with the area,we were getting 20000+ crowds before the indians arrived and we were also getting decent crowds in the championship in 2001,i guarantee if the miscreants were`nt here the crowds would get better,i know people who were loyal fans through the skint era of the 80`s who have vowed never to set foot in ewood again till venkys **** off

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

we had 4k walk on fans yesterday again. Fans will pick and choose their games but can't commit to ST regardless of price. 

Obviously isn’t ’regardless of price’ as we’d sell plenty more if cheaper as we all know - and you do too as you banged on about cheaper prices being needed all summer.

• Like 3