BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Swansea City (h) - 19/10/2024

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You say Brittain would play there then put JRC in your team on the WBA page.

I have taken into that Brittain is just back from injury and I don't want to lose him, plus JRC was part of back 5 that kept a clean sheet

Ultimately I think what you don't understand is that it is possible to have an opinion that doesn't identically match what the manager will do. I think Cantwell will continue to play from the left. But I personally wouldnt. You seemingly are suggesting that we play Cantwell left because you know that Eustace will.

He has played in both positions, I have seen him play centrally a number of times for Rangers. My thinking is, he is by far our best technical player, so allowing him to pick the ball up in tight central areas where he is closer to the opposition goal makes sense to me. He is more productive on the ball, and on the flip side he isn't the most athletic nor the hardest worker. I wouldn't like to be a full back behind him as he wont do much covering.

Actually my opinion is based on his best form in his career which was from the left at Norwich were he was impressive and once Norwich turned down a bid from Villa for £30m. Also playing from wide left allow him more space and time to create plus roam into those central positions instead of being there already. He did fine tracking back and giving his full back supporting defensively 

I also don't think that Dolan appears any more productive from a central position.

Its about what Dolan does from that position and how he press the ball, and can get around9/10 goals this season

I don't doubt that Ohashi works hard but I see him as almost a Jordan Rhodes type. In terms of his all round play, very limited. Not the quickest, wont win many headers in general play, hold up not the best, technically not the best. In the 18 yard box though, he clearly has a natural ability to make clever movement and to sniff out and take chances, all 5 of his goals so far have been very impressively taken. If he scores enough goals, then he can guarantee a place in the team. If he doesn't, then it will be hard to justify.

His 3 goals out of the 4 in the league has been about movement, quality of the finishing and that second goal against Bristol City and his chip finished against Derby shown his class. 

You are bloody obsessed with him not being the quickest. 

Im not convinced yet that Gueye is of the required standard but of course there is time to prove that instinct wrong. He does some things well, but he must be a frustrating player to play with and he doesnt really look like scoring. And we arent a team that has natural crossers of a ball to feed him.

How many chances have we actually created for Gueye? 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I have taken into that Brittain is just back from injury and I don't want to lose him, plus JRC was part of back 5 that kept a clean sheet

Actually my opinion is based on his best form in his career which was from the left at Norwich were he was impressive and once Norwich turned down a bid from Villa for £30m. Also playing from wide left allow him more space and time to create plus roam into those central positions instead of being there already. He did fine tracking back and giving his full back supporting defensively 

Its about what Dolan does from that position and how he press the ball, and can get around9/10 goals this season

His 3 goals out of the 4 in the league has been about movement, quality of the finishing and that second goal against Bristol City and his chip finished against Derby shown his class. 

You are bloody obsessed with him not being the quickest. 

How many chances have we actually created for Gueye? 

I was offering an alternative comparison to Ohashi in Rhodes who also wasnt the quickest. He obviously cant be compared in terms of quality until he regularly scores 20 goals plus a season, but he is very much a penalty box player who doesnt really do anything outside of that. It might well turn out that Ohashi nailing down a regular place depends on the quantity of goals. If he scores plenty then even if it means him doing little aside, and especially considering the lack of goalscorers around him, the goals alone will keep him in the team. Your examples highlight Ohashi's penalty box sharpness and composure.

On Gueye, like with all strikers, its not just a case of others supplying chances, you often find that some strikers regularly find chances coming their way because its as reliant on a strikers movement and anticipation. Take Ohashi's goal at Norwich, the little bit of movement made the goal, would Gueye have had the cleverness to be able to do that? 

But also a question I raised earlier. A striker like Gueye ie one who wants a very specific type of service, he is a poor technical player so he wants regular crosses. Is it not a seemingly strange bit of recruitment to sign a player who perhaps doesnt suit the players around him, ie one that lacks good crossers of the ball notably out wide?

Gestede seemingly played a big role in signing him, he must have appreciated the role that the likes of Marshall and in particular Conway had in putting in so many crosses for him to attack as a player. Was there nothing in his mind to say, well we dont have that type of player, so is it wise?

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I was offering an alternative comparison to Ohashi in Rhodes who also wasnt the quickest. He obviously cant be compared in terms of quality until he regularly scores 20 goals plus a season, but he is very much a penalty box player who doesnt really do anything outside of that. It might well turn out that Ohashi nailing down a regular place depends on the quantity of goals. If he scores plenty then even if it means him doing little aside, and especially considering the lack of goalscorers around him, the goals alone will keep him in the team. Your examples highlight Ohashi's penalty box sharpness and composure.

You are obsess with this pace thing with Yuki Ohashi for some reason but if you had look at him before we signed him, pace isn't part of his game but movement, scoring goals, and work rate. 

we have had 9 different goalscorers this season already and we have shared the goals out amongst the team not just really on one player and we are now. 

On Gueye, like with all strikers, its not just a case of others supplying chances, you often find that some strikers regularly find chances coming their way because its as reliant on a strikers movement and anticipation. Take Ohashi's goal at Norwich, the little bit of movement made the goal, would Gueye have had the cleverness to be able to do that? 

Any many chances has Gueye had this season? maybe 5 chances all season. 

We will never to your answer to your question

But also a question I raised earlier. A striker like Gueye ie one who wants a very specific type of service, he is a poor technical player so he wants regular crosses. Is it not a seemingly strange bit of recruitment to sign a player who perhaps doesnt suit the players around him, ie one that lacks good crossers of the ball notably out wide?

Gestede seemingly played a big role in signing him, he must have appreciated the role that the likes of Marshall and in particular Conway had in putting in so many crosses for him to attack as a player. Was there nothing in his mind to say, well we dont have that type of player, so is it wise?

At times we do cross the ball or play a ball down the side of the defence for Gueye to run onto like Derby in the first half. Gueye is work in progress as his this team and where we want to get to under Eustace. Gueye needs run of games and chances created for him. The Swansea was always going to be tight game cos how Swansea are possession based and don't have many creative players and solid defensively 

Gueye brings the ball down very well and wins practically every header he goes up for. Where he lacks is being in the right place at the right time. Quite a missing trait for a striker...

I am prepared to give him time. I think he brings a bit more to the team than Ohashi when our backs are against the wall. The pair are good options to have and hopefully young Leonard comes back to throw 3 strikers into the mix. Leonard has more of an instinct than the other two for sure, but needs to work on being more clinical 

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Gueye brings the ball down very well and wins practically every header he goes up for. Where he lacks is being in the right place at the right time. Quite a missing trait for a striker...

I am prepared to give him time. I think he brings a bit more to the team than Ohashi when our backs are against the wall. The pair are good options to have and hopefully young Leonard comes back to throw 3 strikers into the mix. Leonard has more of an instinct than the other two for sure, but needs to work on being more clinical 

There’s something about the way Gueye strikes the ball I don’t get. You’d think that a long time pro player would have a cleaner, smoother  action on the ball. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Im not convinced that we have too many goals over the course of the season.

The one natural goalscorer appears to be Ohashi, he is very much solely a penalty box player. Anticipates well, bit of a fox in the box kind of player but offers nothing outside. 

You look outside of that, Cantwell scored a few at Rangers but isnt going to be prolific, Dolan isnt a natural goalscorer and Hedges chips in with one every half a season. 

With Gueye, he doesnt seem to have the instinct to get into goalscoring positions too often and when he does, he isnt a very good finisher. I just question if he is perhaps somewhat ill suited to the rest of the squad considering the lack of width and lack of capable crossers. We will see over time I guess if he is up to the standard, if he suits the way we play and his team mates strengths/weaknesses, and if he can score a reasonable amount over the course of a season. Certainly question marks on all 3 fronts.

Its not as simple as saying well how many chances were created. A good striker himself creates chances through his movement, thats why the natural goalscorers end up having more chances. Gallagher didnt used to miss many chances because again he didnt get himself into those positions.

Crossing from our wingers is terrible. The service from Dolan and Hedges has been appalling/ non existent all season. We need to bring in a wide attacker with pace and a decent delivery.

Beck, Brittain and Cantwell are the only players in our team who can cross a ball. Pickering can but he can't beat the first man to get his cross in so it's a waste of time.

I'd still like to see a bit more of Sigurdsson in games. He has good technique for this level.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not convinced that we have too many goals over the course of the season.

We are 4th top scorers in this league after 10 games. 16 goals scored

With Gueye, he doesnt seem to have the instinct to get into goalscoring positions too often and when he does, he isnt a very good finisher. I just question if he is perhaps somewhat ill suited to the rest of the squad considering the lack of width and lack of capable crossers. We will see over time I guess if he is up to the standard, if he suits the way we play and his team mates strengths/weaknesses, and if he can score a reasonable amount over the course of a season. Certainly question marks on all 3 fronts.

his main strength is hold the ball up and being a focus point. 

Its not as simple as saying well how many chances were created. A good striker himself creates chances through his movement, thats why the natural goalscorers end up having more chances. 

A striker can all the good movement you want but if the ball never reach them its pointless. 

On 20/10/2024 at 09:01, rigger said:

There was a very strange occurrence in the second half. Gueye got pulled up  for a foul in the Swansea box. It looked a harsh decision, and Gueye didn't agree with it. For some reason he then threw himself to the floor and rolled around as if hurt, then got up and walked away. He will become a marked man by refs, if he carries on with these expressive outbursts.  

He WAS thrown to the ground after being fouled more than once and ref.did not give anything.  However Big Mac touches one of theirs it is a foul.  I can understand his frustration.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

a clear indication of one rule for one and another for others,he`s offside and in the keepers line of sight,is`nt that grounds for disallowing the goal,well it should be and would have been if it had`nt been man city

Just think back to Szmodics disallowed goal when he was not in line of sight.  VAR is becoming nothing more than a tool to favour the media darlings even more.  Seen so many VAR rulings that are flat wrong, ALWAYS helping the top 6 lot.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You say Brittain would play there then put JRC in your team on the WBA page.

Ultimately I think what you dont understand is that it is possible to have an opinion that doesnt identically match what the manager will do. I think Cantwell will continue to play from the left. But I personally wouldnt. You seemingly are suggesting that we play Cantwell left because you know that Eustace will.

He has played in both positions, I have seen him play centrally a number of times for Rangers. My thinking is, he is by far our best technical player, so allowing him to pick the ball up in tight central areas where he is closer to the opposition goal makes sense to me. He is more productive on the ball, and on the flip side he isnt the most athletic nor the hardest worker. I wouldnt like to be a full back behind him as he wont do much covering.

I also dont think that Dolan appears any more productive from a central position.

I dont doubt that Ohashi works hard but I see him as almost a Jordan Rhodes type. In terms of his all round play, very limited. Not the quickest, wont win many headers in general play, hold up not the best, technically not the best. In the 18 yard box though, he clearly has a natural ability to make clever movement and to sniff out and take chances, all 5 of his goals so far have been very impressively taken. If he scores enough goals, then he can guarantee a place in the team. If he doesnt, then it will be hard to justify.

Im not convinced yet that Gueye is of the required standard but of course there is time to prove that instinct wrong. He does some things well, but he must be a frustrating player to play with and he doesnt really look like scoring. And we arent a team that has natural crossers of a ball to feed him.

Big Mac was off with his passing too, he usually puts in one or two really good passes but was wayward on the day.

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

He WAS thrown to the ground after being fouled more than once and ref.did not give anything.  However Big Mac touches one of theirs it is a foul.  I can understand his frustration.

I can understand frustration, but not why he threw himself to the ground and rolled around as if in real pain. I have not been able to find footage of the incident, it happened right in front of the Blackburn end. It was surreal to witness, almost like a small child who doesn't get their own way.

7 hours ago, Ghost7 said:

Crossing from our wingers is terrible. The service from Dolan and Hedges has been appalling/ non existent all season. We need to bring in a wide attacker with pace and a decent delivery.

Beck, Brittain and Cantwell are the only players in our team who can cross a ball. Pickering can but he can't beat the first man to get his cross in so it's a waste of time.

I'd still like to see a bit more of Sigurdsson in games. He has good technique for this level.

Dolan dug out a cracking cross on Saturday from which Hedges should have scored.