BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Watford (a) - 26/10/94 - k/o 12:30pm

One of our better team performances in an away match this season, quite a feat considering:

Watford were yards faster, physically stronger and possibly fitter.

I didn't realise Hedges was playing until the penalty and Gueye was atrocious.

However missing sitters never won any game.

Cantwell is class not just luxury. We need class not just another fucking plodder.

• Like 3

I don't think we can complain too much about the pen. Yes, Hedges appears to be making it clear his hands aren't going into the players back, but when your hands are at head height you can't really argue it's a natural position. Agree with whoever said we'd be frothing if it went against us.

It was unlucky, but unfortunately, football has a way of biting you when you miss numerous sitters like we did today. I'd have like to see us do better with a few of the half chances too (Yukis header, Dolans chance near the end).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Yuki and Mak aren't as bad as people are starting to make out, we're not playing into either strengths though. Trouble is, we'd become too used to Szmodics, neither are anything like him. We need to adapt, and fast.

Our only source of a decent cross into the box really is Brittain, both would relish someone whipping in crosses. ACD is our only hope on that front.

I had high hopes for BMac but he seems to be regressing rather than getting better.  Funny though we do not start putting crosses in till Ohashi comes in.

A very disappointing result especially to lose to a contentious decision.

Overall, one of the better away performances and had either the Hyam, or Hedges chance been taken, I am convinced we would have won.

To sum the ref up and maybe understand a bit more about his understanding of the game and the rules, watch the match back and see how many yellow cards should really have been given.

Cantwell looked baffled at his and to say 9 were given, you would think it had been a blood bath. 

• Like 1

Very very unfortunate penalty to concede especially when the ball which strikes the arm is travelling away from goal to nobody in particular.

Overall we were slightly the better of the two teams but we got neither of our gilt edged chances on target and that cost us.

• Like 2

The loss of Szmodics is starting to show. There’s no one in the team with his goal scoring instinct, the ability to be in the right place at the right time, and the cool head and sure touch to finish clinically. He would surely have taken at least one of those chances yesterday and Rovers would not have lost the game

The 2 new lads up front are no replacement for Szmodics, they are clearly struggling  now and aren’t good enough in this division. Guhere quite frankly is an embarrassment and is among one of the worst players I’ve seen in a Rovers shirt. Fans were laughing at some of the things he did yesterday 

Edited by jim mk2

1 hour ago, lraC said:

had either the Hyam, or Hedges chance been taken, I am convinced we would have won.

I never thought we would lose yesterday(until the dodgy handball decision given by the ref) and if Hyam or Weimann had scored those chances we would have won the game. 

Watford were awful and look poor as an attacking team

11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

who? Gueye you mean? 

Are these the same fans who thought Hirst were dogshit now playing in PL and scoring yesterday? 

Yes. Same fans who said Telalovic was shit when you said he was a work in progress and just needed time.

Some opinions people get right. Some opinions people get wrong.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

who? Gueye you mean? 

Are these the same fans who thought Hirst were dogshit now playing in PL and scoring yesterday? 

We all thought Hirst was dogshit.

You also thought Delap was "shit" !!!

21 minutes ago, Mercer said:

We all thought Hirst was dogshit.

Not all of us. Now he has played a part in 2 successful promotions and now scoring goals in PL

21 minutes ago, Mercer said:

You also thought Delap was "shit" !!!

Based on his form at PNE, Stoke and Hull, no way would anybody bought him for what Ipswich did. McKenna and his staff deserved credit for spotted what they did in Delap cos most didn't rate him

Playing well and losing only goes a really small way to making me feel any better than I did after Coventry and Plymouth when we were awful. Missing chances undoubtedly cost us today as the Watford players and the crowd were decidedly edgy and had we scored first I have no doubt we would have won. We started really well, in the front foot and with some intensity. The chances we missed seemed to give Watford a bit of belief and the changes their manager made certainly improved them as they attacked with some real pace. Defensively we were ok as we were in the defensive midfield area but from an attacking point of view we were poor. The honeymoon period is over for Weimann and Gueye with the latter really looking out of his depth. His movement in the penalty area was Gallagheresque. At least Ohasi has clever movement and looks to run in behind, quite simply be is a far better option in my view. Hopefully with Leonard now looking fit and sharp there is more competition as Ohashi and Gueye have almost been guaranteed game time as the only two fit forwards we have. The penalty they got is the right decision for me. It's a modern day penalty following the plethora of edicts the referees have to factor in. This one definitely falls into the 'unnatural position' category and I'm sure we would have screamed for it had it been at the other end. I'm not saying I agree with the way the referees are told to judge this type of incident. When I was an active referee the only criteria when dealing with handball was whether or not it was deliberate. 

Our away form is becoming a concern and it's a conundrum that Eustace has to come up with a solution to.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not all of us. Now he has played a part in 2 successful promotions and now scoring goals in PL

Based on his form at PNE, Stoke and Hull, no way would anybody bought him for what Ipswich did. McKenna and his staff deserved credit for spotted what they did in Delap cos most didn't rate him

Hirst - come on Chaddy, think 9 out of 10 of supporters thought he was a donkey!  Looked a different player at Ipswich which you have to put down to the manager and coaches there.

Identifying potential is part of the art of good recruitment.  Again, full credit to the the manager and coaches there who are developing his talent and getting the best out of him.

5 goals in the PL already this season.

To think your mate Mowbray allegedly said 'no' to City's offer of Delap on loan in Mowbray's last January window says it all!!!

Edited by Mercer

4 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Identifying potential is part of the art of good recruitment.

5 goals in the PL already this season.

To think your mate Mowbray allegedly said 'no' to City's offer of Delap on loan in Mowbray's last January window says it all.

My mate Mowbray? never met the guy in my life. 

Yes allegedly he did. 

But what you failed again to recognised is Delap wasn't doing great at Hull, PNE or Stoke during his spells there. 

We identified Hirst but JDT couldn't get him scoring and he lost faith in Hirst quickly. 

49 minutes ago, Hasta said:

Yes. Same fans who said Telalovic was shit when you said he was a work in progress and just needed time.

Some opinions people get right. Some opinions people get wrong.

Guere, Hirst, Telelovic and a host of other useless players and managers - they cannot be criticised and they’re all brilliant, until they’ve left the club and suddenly they’re not. Rinse and repeat

48 minutes ago, Hasta said:
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes allegedly he did. 

But what you failed again to recognised is Delap wasn't doing great at Hull, PNE or Stoke during his spells there. 

We identified Hirst but JDT couldn't get him scoring and he lost faith in Hirst quickly. 

Seem to recall you saying you'd been to an evening with Moebray at Ewood and how impressed you were with him?

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes allegedly he did. 

What did for Hirst was missing the late penalty opportunity at Cardiff, unfortunately there was no coming back from that as all confidence was gone. Had he scored it could have been very different as confidence plays a big part in being a goal scoring CF. Most decent strikers score on their debut or within the first couple of games, if they don’t it is usually ominous. Corrado Grabbi had real ability and was very unlucky in early games, should have had a hatrick against United but he just couldn’t score and then you see a downward spiral, especially players in a foreign country. On this basis, I am really now beginning to worry about Gueye.

• Like 2