BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Liverpool 0 - 0 Rovers

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great point and well earnt. We may not be pretty away from home but were resoloute and give nothing away-and I mean nothing!!! Watching the game, you felt so safe that the scousers werent going to score-Brad could have had the night off. We did offer no attacking threat-but were not there to make friends, were making sure we survive, which we surely are now. If we sign a creative midfielder, and maybe one or two strikers then I seriously think that we can finish top 6 next season. As somebody mentioned, I honestly think that the board will be tempted to splash a few million this summer to see how far we can go.

Now

1. We have at last a team with a totally professional attitude equal to the guys of 95.

2. Super result last night and a committed and CONFIDENT (at last) performance

3. Hughes and his mgment team are doing their level best with the players that they inherited.

but........ and this'll stir up the natives ........

4. We have turned into the Burnley equivalent of the Prem! ohmy.giflaugh.gif

In terms of previous Rovers line ups we are currently most like Howard Kendall's team.

Back then (79-80) he also took on an ailing line up and first made us practically impossible to score against as we ground out innumerable 0-0 draws and 1-0 wins. Amazingly successful it was too as we were promoted from the old third division and missed out on promotion to the old top flight on goal difference in successive seasons.

Back then too we lacked a degree of flair, three successive 0-0 draws towards the end of the latter season did for us. Amazingly researching it now only Kevin Stonehouse got into double figures with 10 goals, Garns being next best on 7.

It just shows where we might have been had we had this management/line up from the start of the season. ohmy.gif

There's really no reason why we can't be next season's "Everton" especially with some investment in the striking positions.

For the neutral and Sky though we will quickly become the Premiership's version of Millwall, the team everyone loves to hate if we can't add a little more flair to our armoury. blink.gif

For once, listening to a tough away match, was not a nerve wracking

ordeal. I did not feel we would lose, or, win!

I saw great potential in Reid, when I saw him, raw, strong & dedicated.

If only he could shoot. I do not feel he was going anywhere

under Souness.

If we could buy really good striker, a replacement for Tugay & a full back, we

could really go places. Even Europe, again.

Hughes has only done what most of knew was needed. Much of

our improvement, is due to the support team. Brum, achievement was due

to Bowen, I feel.

I hope M.U., do not come for him, later.

It sounded like we played, without being v dirty.

The only trouble is if we are one down, we will probably lose.

Bosman - can we hire a proven striker - it would really repay us.

I've had more encouragement from the last two away games - Everton and Liverpool, than I've had for many years. Two games against the two teams vying for the fourth champions league place. The pundits would have us believe that both those teams were below par against us. Garbage - they simply couldn't get enough of the ball to create anything.

I can't remember the last time I went to an away game and never felt as though the home side was going to score, yet we never looked like conceding in either game. That says more about the new manager and both Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki, than anything.

This isn't the best prem side we've ever had, but it's the side that plays more as a team than any other. It seems a long time ago that rovers were so vulnerable to being hit on the break. How often did we concede goals when Toogs, or anyone, lost the ball in midfield allowing the opposition to cut right through what remained of our defence. We lost the ball lots of times last night, on the edge of their area, but on the break, 'pool didn't even get to the half way line. Superb defending and superb coaching.

We've got something to build on now. We've got a defence that is composed under pressure and a team that knows about the work ethics needed to achieve results against the top sides. Pretty football isn't enough.

Not the best game in the world, but we got another crucial point towards Premiership safety.

Liverpool never looked like troubling us in all honesty, apart from set pieces, credit to both Stead at the very top of the pitch to Friedel between the sticks, in what he had to do.

Todd and Nelsen were fantastic at the back, Reid did a lot of work, closing down and was unlucky.

The Axe chopped anyone who went past him.

Poor game, but we got a good point and that's what matters.

Liverpool 0 - 0 Blackburn

I wouldn't be too bothered about the style of play adopted by sparky's men.

When he came here the alarming problem was clearly the defence, the job he, and his men have done is amazing when you compare it to the late Souness era. His main objective was keeping us in the premiership, best way of doing this - don't concede goals, you can't lose if you don't concede. I think next season we'll see a more attacking emphasis, hopefully he can uncover some attacking gems to match the defensive ones he's brought in.

I honestly can't remember watching Rovers and being so bloody confident we won't let a goal in.

Hopefully we can confirm premiership status a few games before the end of season and I think he'll start tinkering then and during pre-season.

Another plus point is the way Hughes is always full of praise for his players post match. Has to be said they're also full of praise for him too, liked the way Sav said last night that you'd run through brick walls for some managers, Hughes being one of those. I can't imagine anyone ever saying that under Souness. I also find it hard to imagine any of the lads will fall out with Hughes anytime soon either - clearly Souey's biggest fault.

Most, if not all of the negative comments about Hughes come from rival fans/managers, says it all really, if we bother them that much we must be doing something right tinykit.gif

To be honest Ossy, I've heard very little negativity about Hughes. At work we deal with blokes from all over the show who support a wide variety of clubs. They all seem to think he's doing a good job and are full of praise for him. The only negativity at all has been from the "know-it-alls" who doubted his ability, from an experience point of view, when he was appointed.

A poor game but this reflects on Hughesy's tactics.....don't get me wrong cos I ain't complaining....they worked a treat and yet another solid performance/clean sheet will have done wonders for confidence and our premiership survival....here's hoping for more of the same on Saturday

I too was impressed with Mokoena last night (again). His distribution is slightly iffy, yet he is unfussy and his presence in front of the defence means that we have become virtually unbreachable. His tackling is absolutely lethal and his obvious prowess as an athlete creates an area between defence and midfield in which dangerous attacking players can be nullified or at least receive a few swift kicks for their trouble.

AIK Solna won the Swedish league in 1998 after scoring a whooping 25 goals in 26 league games. So maybe we don't need to improve our attack much tongue.gif Nah, ofcourse that was a freak thing. That year there really wasn't much competition, everyone won against everyone else. That's not the case in the PL. Although imagine if we'd had this solid defense all season, we are after all only 12 points of 5th place. We may not have had 12 points more, but top 10 would certainly have been achievable.

I'm not as sold on Mokoena as you guys are, but on the other hand I haven't been able to watch all the games. Still, he's played well enough when I've seen him. I'll take your word for it regarding the other games.

Nelsen and Todd though... both really came out of nowhere and have played some great football. Not elegant players by any means, but good positioning, strength and aerial ability can get you quite far. And ofcourse, their workrate, committment and attitude.

After reading the reviews philip posted, as well as a few more, it's really refreshing to see the praise these three are getting. And what's even better, I don't think they'd be particularly inclined to leave if a bid came in. Seeing as it won't be Chelsea, Arsenal and United doing the bidding there'd really be no reason to leave.

And what's even better, I don't think they'd be particularly inclined to leave if a bid came in. Seeing as it won't be Chelsea, Arsenal and United doing the bidding there'd really be no reason to leave.

Great point Lathund.

There is a further twist in that when the club is unpopular for its tactics/disciplinary record, supporters of other clubs are less likely to pressurise boards and managers into buying your players.

That was the secret to Wimbledon's relatively long stay at the top. No self-respecting manager of a """big" club dared buy Vinnie Jones.

An ultra boring, robust 0-0 against Arsenal curdling the Saturday lunch time pints will do just fine. biggrin.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.