BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Macs

That's pretty amazing stuff. Apple would be insane to allow the next version of OSX to be cracked like that, because who's going to buy their overpriced hardware when you can run the OS on any old PC - and have Windows too? I certainly wouldn't bother spending on another Mac. And what about all the different PC setups, drivers, etc?

Most of the nuts and bolts of OS X is already free and Open source, namely BSD and the Mach Microkernal (along with many of the OS level apps). The main proprietry bit is the GUI (Aqua).

So it no so much as re-inventing the wheel, it's just making a fancy tyre fit onto a third party 17" rim from Halfords.

As far as i know M-K there is specific hardware that works better than others with the OSX set up, but pretty much any expensive pc can run this, i would love to try it but i fear i will mess it up, gonna wait till my friend gives it a try first lol tongue.gif

there have already been several accounts of ppl running tiger on ordinary pc's using this software OSX 86 or something.

http://www.uneasysilence.com/os-x-proven-h...an-ordinary-pc/

it works like an emulator but apparently runs very smooth on higher end pcs.

the OS is derived and cracked from the developers version currently being used to work with the new intel chips.

this is good news, I look forward to running a dual boot on my machine with both windows and mac os.

I used to live with a fella last year who used a pc he had built himself and could choose to run either windows or OSX off his Linux OS, so im sure it doanble. just how is another matter...

I used to live with a fella last year who used a pc he had built himself and could choose to run either windows or OSX off his Linux OS, so im sure it doanble. just how is another matter...

339499[/snapback]

Seems Apple aren't too happy with people running OS X on x86 hardware clikey

Why are Apple unable to penetrate the market with what is clearly a better product (in my experience) than the current market leader?

334286[/snapback]

One word answer to this question - Marketing.

It is purely that, as an average household and business user, I run XP Pro at home because it does all the stuff everyone wants - simply and easily - and Windows 2000 on our office network because it never falls over.

Macs are perceived as the realm of academics, publishers, printinting and computer buffs - if you just need soemthing that works use Windows is the answer.

Cost, actually: when the battle began, Apples cost a lot more than IBMs. That led people to start with MS. By the time prices went down on Macs, it was too late. Microsoft had already taken over the world.

Had Apple been only a software company, like Microsoft, and not sold their own hardware, you'd be saying "Bill Who?"

I'm sure I read somewhere (or was it a documentary on Microsoft) that one of the only reasons Apple survived one of it's worst periods was due to Microsoft porting Office to the Mac.

Of course Bill Gates may have commissioned the book/program wink.gif

And I agree with you American, the Mac was aimed at the buisness market with the Graphical display being the thing that set it apart for desk top publishing and design work. It was far too expensive for the average person (or even business) to afford.

Edited by Biddy

• 1 month later...
(and Lee if you're reading what about the official site)?

334178[/snapback]

Safari shows up as the number 3 browser behind IE in 1st and Firefox in 2nd place.

Safari has been used on 1.12% of visits to the site so far this year.

Firefox is just under 6%, IE has 90.1%

Safari shows up as the number 3 browser behind IE in 1st and Firefox in 2nd place.

Safari has been used on 1.12% of visits to the site so far this year.

Firefox is just under 6%, IE has 90.1%

353260[/snapback]

.... and at a guess, how much of that 1.12% is you Lee smile.gif

(I know I used to be pleased with the number of linux based visitors this site got .... until I filtered out my own IP).

None of it is me actually. My Mac is the original bondi blue iMac, no Safari on that as it still trundles along on OS9. plus the last thing I want to do when I get home is look at the website biggrin.gif

Incidentally, as the months progress through this year, IE's percentage starts to drop whilst Firefox, and Safari's rise.

Edited by Lee

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.