BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Espanyol Attendance?

Does charging less for pre-season games against Euro oppostion encourage attendance?

10 Aug 03 v Chievo  5031 13 quid

4 Aug 04 v S Lisbon 6589 12 quid

Discuss (Phil I will be especially pleased to hear your views).

337443[/snapback]

£13 and £12 are hardly giveaway prices , Neil ! It's no wonder the attendances were low for those games as well ....

Now if they'd had made it a fiver for adults there would have been more there.... wink.gifthumbs-up.gif

(Nearly forgot ....this thread is pointless ...we're all disagreeing ) smile.gif

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Nearly forgot ....this thread is pointless ...we're all disagreeing )  smile.gif

337656[/snapback]

We agree on that. My guess is whatever the ticket price, revenue would have been about the same. Sadly, that also seems to be true for league games.

It wouldn't help gate revenue any but given the poor turn-out maybe things like this should be reduced for season tckt holders as with Res and Youth team games.

Or maybe the ticket stub (and others for non season tckt games) could be used in the shop to get 20% off the new shirts etc (1 stub per shirt of course.... I'm sure that they would still be very profitable at that.)

Or possibly Ticket numbers to go into a draw for two people to accompany the team free of charge on a chosen away trip.

Or any combination of the three. Its not rocket science, anything to fire the imagination and provide talking points / incentives for the supporters would be productive.

Edited by thenodrog

Just to point out in fairness to Leeds fans, the match was on the telly and the ever loveable Ken Bates has just hiked up the prices.

I think it's a bit unreasonable to compare Leeds' fall in attendence with any other club. Has any other club ever crashed so suddenly and spectacularly?

337651[/snapback]

Accrington Stanley smile.gif

Have a moan about rovers again eh? All that members on this board do is have a whinge and make their moans public. Keep it to yourself and contact the club. If you aint having any luck, write to John Williams. Im sure they will sort it if you ask. Stop crying out & having a moan about the club. They get too much bad mouthing from idiots like you! Support your club!

dry.gif

337626[/snapback]

You run out of bubble wrap too Ste? You must have been spending too much time with Glenn recently? I know that women synchronise their cycling but I've never seen it in blokes! Think happy thoughts. thumbs-up.gif

ps this board would be godawfully boring if everyone held the same positive opinions only. Isn't this 'exorcising' of feelings and pent up frustrations partly its purpose? (I'm sure Scotty thinks it is.) wink.gif

We need to utilise our current position of strength in some way to provide a base to move forward cos I can assure you its 1000+ times more difficult when even the milkman has to wait for his money and we cannot even attract mediocre players and managers.

337655[/snapback]

The only way forward long term is via a sugar daddy. I'm pretty certain that if one steps forward, with the right intentions and enough cash, then Rovers board would accept that offer.

The best time to attract a sugar daddy is now, while we are still a premiership club. [that last bit is my opinion].

Isn't this 'exorcising' of feelings and pent up frustrations partly its purpose?  (I'm sure Scotty thinks it is.) wink.gif

337665[/snapback]

Good grief, another mention. You're obsessed man.

Edited by den

1.  Sorry if I mislead you Modi I had a minimum figure of 35000-40000 in mind. (Easily catered for by upgrading the Riverside) 

2  QUOTE "We need a gate of around 45k to survive?".  Thats not what I inferred.  I said "If we are to maintain our status indefinitely"  'Survive' is misleading.  My ideal would be to see BRFC become self sufficient and able to punch its weight financially with the bigger clubs in the top division.  Ideally we really need to attract income in excess of the likes of Wolves, Forest, Leicester, West Ham, Sheff Utd/Wed etc.  The only way for that to happen on a long term basis imo is to attract fans from our neighbours. 

Fair enough, my use of 'survive' was in the sense of Premiership status and not teter on the edge of oblivion survival.

I guess the unknown is can a small club be run sensibly and stay in the top flight of football, even without a huge crowd? Of the clubs you mention, certainly at least 4 of them have lived beyond their means (either before or after relegation) and suffered dreadfully because of it.

Other comparable clubs would be Fulham (although MAF seems to be struggling to keep them financially ticking along at the rate of knots he dreamed of) and Charlton, who seem to be a well run club and don't seem to be in financial pickles these days.

...and Bolton who came up, spent little, stayed up, were innovative, qualified for UEFA whilst being generally despised and have just announced a significant drop in club borrowings to under £30m despite spending net more on transfers than Rovers have this summer.

Kia Joorabchian is set to buy out West Ham. He is the dude who bought out Corinthians last season and signed them Tevez and Mascherano for millions.

The possibility exists, but they tend to favor London clubs, not some dull North-West club from Lancashire that barely attracts a decent fan-base.

Have a moan about rovers again eh? All that members on this board do is have a whinge and make their moans public. Keep it to yourself and contact the club. If you aint having any luck, write to John Williams. Im sure they will sort it if you ask. Stop crying out & having a moan about the club. They get too much bad mouthing from idiots like you! Support your club!

dry.gif

337626[/snapback]

You run out of bubble wrap too Ste?  You must have been spending too much time with Glenn recently?  I know that women synchronise their cycling but I've never seen it in blokes!  Think happy thoughts. thumbs-up.gif

ps this board would be godawfully boring if everyone held the same positive opinions only.  Isn't this 'exorcising' of feelings and pent up frustrations partly its purpose?  (I'm sure Scotty thinks it is.) wink.gif

337665[/snapback]

I'm sure I've seen that quote somewhere else and it wasn't written by Ste.

Ah yes, the "Problems with New Home Kit" thread, originally written by Hughesy @ 14:07. I think Ste was simply noting a bit of hypocracy in what Hughesy was writing.

Nice of you to jump in with both feet though.

Edited by Biddy

Kia Joorabchian is set to buy out West Ham. He is the dude who bought out Corinthians last season and signed them Tevez and Mascherano for millions.

The possibility exists, but they tend to favor London clubs, not some dull North-West club from Lancashire that barely attracts a decent fan-base.

337679[/snapback]

Is set to yet no site or paper seems to know about it?

Edited by shillito15

Is set to yet no site or paper seems to know about it?

337710[/snapback]

Both Radio 5 and Talk Sport have covered it this week (R5's angle was that Kia Joorabchian's business dealings make Abramavic's look like tradefair and the Corinthians is nothing more than a money laundering operation).

The only way forward long term is via a sugar daddy. I'm pretty certain that if one steps forward, with the right intentions and enough cash, then Rovers board would accept that offer.

The best time to attract a sugar daddy is now, while we are still a premiership club. [that last bit is my opinion].

337666[/snapback]

Thats an unhealthy situation Den and even Jack Walker said that after kick-starting BRFC the club had to be run as a viable business. Sure Chelsea have the whip hand currently but I'll bet in 10 years they'll be on the wane and the likes of Real and Man U will be still slugging it out at the top.

Sure Chelsea have the whip hand currently but I'll bet in 10 years they'll be on the wane

337741[/snapback]

Perhaps they should look at merging with Spurs, West Ham and Fulham to form London United. blink.gif

1. I was out of the country

2. Never heard of Espanyol before, who, what are they? Obviously a spanish club.

3. I'm sick to death of those with the loudest voices when it comes to criticism also being those who are the least likely to get off their backsides and DO something about it - regardless of the topic.

1. I was out of the country

2. Never heard of Espanyol before, who, what are they? Obviously a spanish club.

3. I'm sick to death of those with the loudest voices when it comes to criticism also being those who are the least likely to get off their backsides and DO something about it - regardless of the topic.

337919[/snapback]

1. Nice hols?

2. Espanyol......... Barcelona's second club. They currently play in the Olympic stadium, Barcelona, and finished 7th in the Prem Liga last season.

3. So just like Glenn and SteB you are grumpy too Paul! Whats going on with admin all of a sudden? Nothing to do with the ISA I hope?

Perhaps they should look at merging with Spurs, West Ham and Fulham to form London United.    blink.gif

337742[/snapback]

As I've said before if football was started now then 92 league clubs would not be a viable scenario. Just as 13 of those clubs currently being in London is similarly ludicrous and nonsensical.

Wrong time of the month , Paul....?  unsure.gif

337927[/snapback]

They've definitely all been cooped up in a confined space for a long time somewhere Phil.

S'funny how us two manage to maintain such even temperaments all of the time isn't it?

Why does this thread have to start.

A PRE SEASON FRIENDLY FFS..... NOBODY CARES BOUT THEM, SO WHAT?

Who cares about Espanyol? Or the score?

Nobody.

How many people have probably got an expensive weekend in London coming up next week.

Alot more.

Chill out and stop whinging please.

337314[/snapback]

I travelled up from Swindon for the week to watch the friendly games (Swansea, Grimsby and Espanyol) *Blue Peter badge for me*.. but I care about friendlies and the progress the team has made from the previous season and i go to check out new signings and give them encouragement.. so if i can manage to make the effort from all the way down here I think it's disgusting that the 'fans' up there can't be bothered and have the same attitude you have.. and that's why our attendance is so crap is because people like you don't see that every game is important wether it be a friendly and not just the high profile games, see you at West Ham smile.gif

Nobody is obligated to attend though, Kimberley. We're all consumers and everybody has the choice.

I went to Espanyol but had to work instead of going to Grimsby and couldn't find the motivation to go to Swansea. Yet I went to 36 league games last season and 38 the season before.

I don't think friendlies matter and don't have a problem with people who don't attend. I don't feel obliged to go to them all. I don't think they matter at all. Is the attendence problem because of 'people like me'?

Espanyol qualified for the UEFA Cup this time and were within two points of making it to the Champs League:

Primera División

OVERALL HOME AWAY

P W D L F A W D L F A W D L F A Pts GD

Barcelona 38 25 9 4 73 29 14 4 1 40 12 11 5 3 33 17 84 44

Real Madrid 38 25 5 8 71 32 15 1 3 43 12 10 4 5 28 20 80 39

Villarreal 38 18 11 9 69 37 14 4 1 41 10 4 7 8 28 27 65 32

Real Betis 38 16 14 8 62 50 12 5 2 36 22 4 9 6 26 28 62 12

Espanyol 38 17 10 11 54 46 12 5 2 34 18 5 5 9 20 28 61 8

FC Sevilla 38 17 9 12 44 41 10 5 4 25 19 7 4 8 19 22 60 3

Valencia 38 14 16 8 54 39 11 5 3 31 17 3 11 5 23 22 58 15

Deportivo La Coruña 38 12 15 11 46 50 6 7 6 25 29 6 8 5 21 21 51 -4

Athletic Bilbao 38 14 9 15 59 54 11 4 4 39 24 3 5 11 20 30 51 5

Málaga 38 15 6 17 40 48 8 4 7 19 24 7 2 10 21 24 51 -8

Puts Saturday's result and quality of opposition into perspective. As does Deportivo's double over Newcastle. laugh.gif

Quite a scalp for a pre-season "friendly". rover.gif

Edited by philipl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.