BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2-1 Portsmouth

We were fantastic first half, despite the early goal it didn't knock us off our stride and we went in at half time deserved leaders. Bentley, Pedersen and Reid were all brilliant and ran the midfield for us. Second half we were poor but managed to hang on despite some.... interesting defending. Bentley went missing again and Matteo showed his true credentials!!! All in all delighted with the win having played so many games in a short space oftime it was all about getting the win, which is what we did. Some big gamescoming up, the 2 games against the mancs are possibly the biggest of our season from here on in. No worries of relegation and we may struggle to push much higher in the league this is our best ticket into Europe, lets hope we catch the mancs on some bad days and pull off a huge shock.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very tired performance tonight , Portsmouth did enough to earn a draw at the death but lacked the fire power to do anything about it. Mike Dean was listening to the little voices in his head and from the best viewing position in the stadium gave a handball against Nelsen that never was, later on gave us a generous free kick which Pedersen put away nicely.

First half we passed it around neatly enough but all the time in front of Pompey ,the only real chance we got Dickov nodded in a rebound from Reids fierce drive.

Second half was dreadful ,Pompey took the game to us and although we had several good chances we couldn't kill them off. Lua Lua should have scored near the end and we came away with a very fortunate 3 points.

Ratings- Friedel 6, beaten by a good free kick.

Neill 6, steady

Zurab 7, played well

Nelsen 7, ditto

Matteo 4, played like he,d been out for 4 years not 4 months

Bentley 4, he's a lightweight, the new Barry Ratcliffe ( for the old guys on the site )

Reid 6, brilliant first half, never came out at half time

Savage 6, worked hard , missed a sitter second half

Pedersen 5, scored a great free kick then tried to find every way to give the ball to Pompey

Dickov 7, worked hard ,scored a good goal, unlucky to be subbed

Kuqi 3, an embarassment, looked like he was straight out of the Sunday School League, his failure to read Bellamys wall pass in the second half spoke volumes

Emerton 4, poor, missed a good chance

Bellamy 7, a real class act, should have been on at half time

Tugay ?, on for 30 seconds at the death

We'll play better than this and lose in the future so thanks for the three points.

Emo's attempt at scoring from that set-up from Bellamy at the end was woeful- no awareness that he had to meet the ball and change the angle. As it was, had it not been blocked, Emo was passing the ball to Westerfeld with an empty net looking.

I can't agree with that. I had a careful look at the replay from behind and I am 95% certain Westerveld would not have got there in time for that. The defender was also very desperate to get that ball and did a brilliant job to make the interception. Emerton probably should have directed it into the right side but it was a very tight fit which I don't think many players would get.

I also think it particularly harsh that you pick on Emerton for that when there were a couple of others at the very least who far more guilty of poor awareness. Dickov being one when he was on the break (in the first half?) and took a very weak shot which went straight and very softly into the arms of Westerveld. Savage being another when he missed that sitter. There probably are more that I can't think of from the top of my head.

Pretty good first half, but the holiday fixture list caught up with us in the second half. There were two very tired teams on display towards the end of the game, the centre of our midfield especially.

As for ratings, well I'm not going to do those - it was a team performance and nobody really stood out besides Primetime and Bellamy. As for the Bentley criticism, well in my eyes he's come on a hel! of a lot in a short time under Hughes - still nowhere near the finished article, but he's getting there.

Went to the game, I think I ended up sat in Chavs wonderland, but oh well. I must have been mistaken for thinking that the game started at 7.35, not 7.36 or 7.40 or whatever time people decided they want to stroll in, walk in front of your seat then stand and have a conversation ( you know who you are). Come in on time take your seat and watch the football, thats what your here to do not keep getting up and down in the middle of the match.

Sorry rant over. Was very nervous in the second half, had visions of Pompey getting a last minute draw.

Also fair play to the pompey fans after travelling all that way on a Monday night they didn't shut up all the way through the game even being 2-1 down. Put our fans to shame and thats why we need the drummer.

We still havent gotten to the next level yet, otherwise we would have killed off the game earlier and not suffered for the last few minutes.

370878[/snapback]

I think winning when you play so poorly is a sign of being on the next level.

The level of finishing teams off regularly is called Championship contenders level.

I listened to it on radio 5: sounded like we played well in the 1st half & should have been more than 2-1 up, but we seemed to try & let Pompey equalise in the 2nd half.

Still, we won and are up to 8th! Yay! smile.gif

Under Souness we would have lost this game.....under Hughes we are a much tougher nut to crack.Very,very happy with the progress we have made so far, no complaints here! rover.gif

19,500 with kids for £1 unsure.gif ...good or bad?,I just dont know anymore.Sad to say but you'd get more atmosphere on the moon than was created from our fans tonight.... very poor,total opposite of Saturday.

Anybody know what happend outside of McDonalds after the match?.... loads of police and ambulance.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

A great result which overshadows the performance in the second half. We played very well in the first half, with Reid, Pedersen and Dickov being our best players. Pedersen free kick was gem, while Dickov's was real poacher's goal. In the second half, we looked very tired and Portsmouth really should have equalised. Before the game, I wanted to see Kuqi and Bellamy up front, but after Kuqi's performance I don't want to him again. The guy is dreadful! His first touch is dreadful, he has no awareness of what's going on around him and generally just gets in the way. I can't believe that Hughes took Dickov off instead of him. He may score some more goals this season, but there is no way that he is Premiership class and isn't a player who will take the club forward.

Despite the moans and groans not ONE Rovers supporter can have any complaints whatsoever.

9 points out of 9 FFS

3 Premiership wins on the bounce and 2 away wins at that

8th place in the league

way above big city fc

As for the crowd, 400 from pompy, it was never expected to beat 20k was it ? I mean, QPR at home in the FA Cup, quickly followed by manure at home in the semi final suitably followed by the winkers at home in the league.

For an adult alone that little lot will set you back a cool £62.00 for a Blackburn End seat.

I cant be doing with the griping. Rovers won period, Rovers are shooting up the league, Rovers are playing good football, hard but fair, Rovers are in the mood for a major cup set and a challenge for European football.

if any Rovers fan would have been told that on 2nd Jan 06 we would only be 3 points behind the arsenal, there would have been more coronaries in Blackburn than Lytham st Annes

Get over it and get on with it.

QPR Next

oh by the way

TAXI FOR TAYLOR ohmy.gif

Very, very lucky lucky.

Pompey should have won.

370855[/snapback]

Don't agree with you there Jim. We sat back too much in the second half but they still only created two good chances. We dominated the first half and then in the second Savage and Emerton both should have scored after being set-up by Bellamy.

As has already been said this time last year we'd have lost this game - although we did try our very best to throw it away towards the end!

Not sure about Pompey's first goal whether or not it was a free kick. But Rovers responded well from this and deservedly went in at half time ahead. Second half was just a bit rubbish. I thought when Bellamy came on we'd get a third but it wasn't to be.

But bad second half or not, another 3 points in the bag and up to 8th!! Looking quite good at the moment

A great result which overshadows the performance in the second half. We played very well in the first half, with Reid, Pedersen and Dickov being our best players. Pedersen free kick was gem, while Dickov's was real poacher's goal. In the second half, we looked very tired and Portsmouth really should have equalised. Before the game, I wanted to see Kuqi and Bellamy up front, but after Kuqi's performance I don't want to him again. The guy is dreadful! His first touch is dreadful, he has no awareness of what's going on around him and generally just gets in the way. I can't believe that Hughes took Dickov off instead of him. He may score some more goals this season, but there is no way that he is Premiership class and isn't a player who will take the club forward.

370889[/snapback]

A bit harsh! He's not our best player by any stretch of the imagination, neither was this his best game. But he's got important goals for us this year and provides some needed height up front.

Think the lads got a bit fed up in the second half knowing Portsmouth weren't up to their standard and let things slip a bit.

Another win tho', and up to 8th, great stuff! Bring on the Bolton...................

user posted image

Miss Roversmum has found a new pic for her collection biggrin.gif

GREAT 1st half performance, still lack that cutting edge in the last 1/3.

2nd half was fairly average. Stayed till fulltime and got to work about 30mins late. A lot of stress would of been saved though if i did leave during the 2nd half.

I can't believe people on here are mocking Emo on his performance, don't get me wrong he hasn't been playing too well recently but he came on as a 2nd half sub and did a fair job. He got in the right position for Bellamys cross and the ball was heading to the right of the goals if it wasn't blocked by the defender, the keeper wouldn't of got to it!

The only way to score in the position, would be to draw the defnder, go around him then slot it, i think out of all the strikers in the premiership in the same situation about 2% of them would take this option, so how bout getting off the guys back in saying it was a sitter. Whilst hes wearing my teams colour i'll give him a bit of flak for a few things but i won't go over the top like some people on here do.

Bring on EUROPE!!

QPR in the cup on Saturday - cheap tickets - how many people who were at Ewood tonight were made aware of that? Not many, I'm sure, especially if they didn't get a programme...

As for the the support - respect to Pompey but completely disagree that tonight's game vindicates a drummer. Their two drummers and bell-ringer were on ultra rhythmic form but it is the clustering factor of a small away support that sustains the intensity seen tonight - keep your messageboard shame protestations to yourself and get your top off and bells out if it troubles you so much.....

The thing for me is the naivety of our current support - like judo, you should use your enemy's strength against them as in days of yore - ie substitute <Pompey> for <Rovers> in the various chants.

<Also fair play to the pompey fans after travelling all that way on a Monday night they didn't shut up all the way through the game even being 2-1 down. Put our fans to shame and thats why we need the drummer>

Kuqi for once looked out of his depth today, his been playing well lately but i would have rather seen Bells on for Kuqi than Dickov. Second half I felt we were just going through the motions most the time, not wanting to score a 3rd. Can't complain about a win though, their hard to come by in this league. Long may our form continue!

Ratings- Friedel 6, beaten by a good free kick.

Neill 6, steady

Zurab 7, played well

Nelsen 7, ditto

Matteo 4, played like he,d been out for 4 years not 4 months

Bentley 4, he's a lightweight, the new Barry Ratcliffe ( for the old guys on the site )

Reid 6, brilliant first half, never came out at half time

Savage 6, worked hard , missed a sitter second half

Pedersen 5, scored a great free kick then tried to find every way to give the ball to Pompey

Dickov 7, worked hard ,scored a good goal, unlucky to be subbed

Kuqi 3, an embarassment, looked like  he was straight out of the Sunday School League, his failure  to read Bellamys wall pass in the second half spoke volumes

Emerton 4, poor, missed a good chance

Bellamy 7, a real class act, should have been on at half time

370873[/snapback]

What rubbish ratings, you obviously didn't watch the same game! wink.gif

Brad: 7 no fault for the goal, did nothing wrong at all

Lucas: 8 Good movement forward and back, never looked uneasy

Khiz: 7 solid

Nelsen: 9, godknows why dean gave that freekick, stunning otherwise

Matteo: 5, Didn't look a left back, uncomfortable on(& off) the ball

Bentley: 7 in and out of the game

Sav: 8 did well in both halves, some great tracking and tackles

Reid: 6 Fantastic first half only matched by how bad his second half was

MGP: 8 Missed him for about 30mins of the first half other than that great

Kuqi: 7 Height is always a danger, had pompey on edge

Dickov: 7 didn't look on top form but still had something about him

Subs

Emmo: 7 unlucky with the shot, did everything right

Bellers: 8 Nippy to say the least, deserved an assist

Tugs: 10 biggrin.gif Turkish Delight! rover.gif

3 points! See you next year pompey, probally with only 1 member of the current team if you have £100mil to spend! tinykit.gif

Think the lads got a bit fed up in the second half knowing Portsmouth weren't up to their standard and let things slip a bit.

Another win tho', and up to 8th, great stuff!  Bring on the Bolton...................

user posted image

Miss Roversmum has found a new pic for her collection  biggrin.gif

370907[/snapback]

poor lad - miss roversmum, you might have just turned him into a gay icon. in saying that i aint bothered if i see him half naked every week, as long as he continues to score goals and helps us win. laugh.gif

I am looking at the ratings that people are giving but I do think that its all a little strange concidering that we sent out a different team in the second half so:-

1st Half:-

Brad: 6 - He is a top man but should have saved that free kick because I am sick of seeing the same goals scored against him.

Lucas: 7 - solid - no gripe with him here

Zura: 7 solid

Nelsen: 9 - YOU ARE THE MAN

Matteo: 4 - Who?

Bentley: 6 in and out of the game

Sav: 8: This is what I have wanted from him all along

Reid: 7 He looked very confident of holding down a place

MGP: 8 Always looked Hungrey

Kuqi: 7 IF I DONT HAVE IT I WILL SOON

Dickov: 7 GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

2nd Half:-

Brad: 6 - Should I stay or should I go now

Lucas: 5 - Oh look, a wide man - DAMM, I better get after him

Zura: 7 solid

Nelsen: 9 - YOU ARE THE MAN

Matteo: 4 - Who?

Bentley: 4 - I want my mummy

Sav: 6 - I will run around until I am dizzy

Reid: 4 - Where the hell did he go?

MGP: 7 - Looked tired

Kuqi: 7 - Good effort

Dickov: 6 - worked hard

Subs

Emmo: 7 Looked hungry and tried to impress

Bellers: 5 - moaned a little to much - wear the blue and white and work son

Tugs: 5 - he has a 5 cos its mid ground and didnt get chance to shine (as he would have if he had come on sooner)

Thats my first markings rant EVER - @#/? I know ph34r.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.