SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many of our players over the past 15 seasons can we say left us for BETTER times elsewhere?

May and Berg maybe. Possibly Henchoz at Liverpool as well.

The Newcastle exodus definitely didnt.

In recent years, many other players come to mind too, especially Bellamy.

There must be some sort of curse really and I wish some players open their eyes up and realize that Blackburn Rovers is a good place to play your football, but I can understand them from one perspective and that being that the owners MUST spend some money to show that the club can match the players ambitions...

I agree, i think certain clubs are geared up for certain things. It's hard to explain, but i just dont think the likes of Newcastle will be successful - you could say its not in their blood.

Like Arsenal, in 10 years time - complete new team and different manager, they will still play quality attacking football.

Players do well at Ewood for some reason and i think a takeover of Rovers would be more successful than NUFC, West Ham ...etc

I think DanLad hit the nail on the head. If you are a creative player or a goalscorer is it better to be a big fish in a small pond where everything is geared to your game or move to a bigger club where you are just one of the cogs. I think you have to be truly exceptional to make that step. As for Berg and May, I think it is easier for a defender because you generally are part of a unit and I think expectations are lower

• 2 weeks later...

sitting here watching spurs struggle in poland wondering how spurs star summer signing hardly even gets a game anymore, as he wanted a move to further his chances of england place I think its resulted in the exact opposite, grass isnt greener on the other side comes to mind

I don't know if anyone read Brian Reade's column in today's Mirror, but he was laying into Terry Venables for making a scapegoat of Dimitar Berbatov for Tottenham's woes. He finished by asking whether Tel would consider Bentley a mercenary too for leaving Blackburn to White Hart Lane, or don't teams outside London count?

Archived