BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fútbol, Le Foot, Voetbal, ποδόσφαιρο

7 hours ago, Forever Blue said:

Yep, will be the first CL game I’ve watched all season due to not having TNT. It’s on Discovery tonight, seems they’ve moved it from YouTube where it’s been free-to-air in the last few years. 

The build up seems to be all about RM. I think I’ll support the underdog. 

I have started more than one Champions League threads on this forum over the years. I didn't do so this year as, despite my love of all things football, I wasn't enthused by this year's competition. 

The final encapsulated my apathy. It was a very boring game. Dortmund were by far the better side in the first half but missed easy chances, therefore, it was only a matter of time before Real scored. A thoroughly underwhelming game. 

Bellingham was poor - why does he wear what looks like NFL shoulder pads? 

Kroos is a class act. He's won so many trophies. Yet would he make the first 11 in an all time German team? 

• Moderation Lead
9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

You knew that Real Madrid would find a way to win. Bellingham was poor on the big occasion.

Bit harsh to single out Bellingham, IMO.

In any event, he’s woken up with one more assist in a final and a winner’s medal than he had yesterday morning….

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

Bit harsh to single out Bellingham, IMO.

In any event, he’s woken up with one more assist in a final and a winner’s medal than he had yesterday morning….

Real Madrid was poor in the game and Dortmund had the better chances and team. 

• Moderation Lead
11 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Real Madrid was poor in the game and Dortmund had the better chances and team. 

No kidding, but Real Madrid made them pay for missing their chances. Dortmund only have themselves to blame for not lifting that trophy last night.

17 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

No kidding, but Real Madrid made them pay for missing their chances. Dortmund only have themselves to blame for not lifting that trophy last night.

I agree. I wish Dortmund had score those chances and winning the Champions League Trophy. It was the only game of the any European club competition I watched this season

• Like 1

As Jimmy Sirrell, manager of Notts County, said on the radio back in the early 1970s, "If ya dinna score ya dinna win".

The interviewer said, "Nice one Sirrell". Notts County had just won promotion from the third division (at our expense).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bazza said:

As Jimmy Sirrell, manager of Notts County, said on the radio back in the early 1970s, "If ya dinna score ya dinna win".

The interviewer said, "Nice one Sirrell". Notts County had just won promotion from the third division (at our expense).

Perhaps someone should inform our manager of this nugget of football philosophy.

2 hours ago, bazza said:

Then along came Howard Kendall.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rovers former academy defensive recruit, Flavien Boyomo, who turned down a contract to move to Spain, kept out Kylian Mbappe during Vallodolid's game against Real Madrid. However, couldn't prevent Valverde, Brahim and Endrick scoring for Real.

• 1 month later...

It appears that another club is the latest target of a "celebrity" takeover...Tranmere. This one might be true one of the people said to be involved is connected to the Italian club SPAL. Incidentally some of you might know what SPAL stands for. They also play in blue and white.

Is this the latest trend? It may very well be. I thought others would follow Abramovich and I was right. Hence one of the reasons for my desire of a takeover 20 years ago once the severe neglect became more and more apparent and proved to be true. Guess I was "the oracle" after all.

With FUP owners should try and get more sports figures or actors on board. People were saying that singer Swift's endorsement was a huge deal for Harris (though probably not huge enough). Hypothetically if she had an interest in football would a ton of her fans follow like sheep? Is that the way forward when owners can't spend their own money? Don't think anyone is going to spend 500 million in the Roverstore without any ownership stake anytime soon. Look at Wrexham they had TikTok sponsor on their shirt though I don't think much of their current one. Sure Waggott loves it.

If Venkys eventually sell (certainly if something happened to Balaji as he might be the only thing keeping Madame and third wheel around) maybe they could look to one of their Bollywood friends as they are big on "saving face". Early on they were called "celebrity chasers" with the Maradona link perhaps that's the way forward for you. One of them anyway.

Edited by Vinjay

4 hours ago, Vinjay said:

It appears that another club is the latest target of a "celebrity" takeover...Tranmere. This one might be true one of the people said to be involved is connected to the Italian club SPAL. Incidentally some of you might know what SPAL stands for. They also play in blue and white.

Is this the latest trend? It may very well be. I thought others would follow Abramovich and I was right. Hence one of the reasons for my desire of a takeover 20 years ago once the severe neglect became more and more apparent and proved to be true. Guess I was "the oracle" after all.

With FUP owners should try and get more sports figures or actors on board. People were saying that singer Swift's endorsement was a huge deal for Harris (though probably not huge enough). Hypothetically if she had an interest in football would a ton of her fans follow like sheep? Is that the way forward when owners can't spend their own money? Don't think anyone is going to spend 500 million in the Roverstore without any ownership stake anytime soon. Look at Wrexham they had TikTok sponsor on their shirt though I don't think much of their current one. Sure Waggott loves it.

If Venkys eventually sell (certainly if something happened to Balaji as he might be the only thing keeping Madame and third wheel around) maybe they could look to one of their Bollywood friends as they are big on "saving face". Early on they were called "celebrity chasers" with the Maradona link perhaps that's the way forward for you. One of them anyway.

Whoever invests in a club, majority fan ownership, as I believe is common in Germany, is essential. I don't know in any detail but the top flights in Germany have the 50+1 rule, meaning fan members must have a majority stake, whether it is the parent or subsidiary company running the club. This has, from what I read, helped keep clubs financially stable and, I believe, ticket costs relatively low. I'm sure there's issues, such as making it harder to compete financially with other leagues.

That said, in the UK, the genie is definitely out of the bottle.

• Like 1

It depends on the fanbase too. Sometimes as people on here should know it's sometimes better to have one fan with a strong mentality. Fans fall out all the time it's just asking for trouble. You need someone to keep them in line without constantly disrespecting and and insulting them even if they might deserve it. Also I don't like the way Dietmar Hopp was treated after all the money he put into his club and things like medical research and foundations for curing cancer. I believe Wolfsburg are an exception due to ownership circumstances which as far as I know works out OK. Then you have Red Bull of course though their main insensitivity extends to Salzburg. New York to a lesser extent though Metrostars was a much better name. They also insist on naming every one of their stadiums the same and that's what they are. Stadiums. Not arenas.

These movements (often led by "wish I was in La Bombonera" types) need to accept some aspects of capitalism and stop pretending they are more noble than they are. Clubs like Union Berlin have grown rapidly from seemingly nowhere but they have made concessions and they are going to have to make more and more. The only top tier club in major European leagues perhaps which has stuck to some unique principles is Athletic Bilbao. That wouldn't work as well for everyone signing players on regional basis. It would be better too if UEFA and their cartel sycophants accept that owners can spend their own money and stop throwing corrupt obstacles in the way. Fans should speak out about it more especially those who have had benefactors or have them now. You have hypocritical exceptions of course like Gibson and that oaf Whelan who were happy to spend when it suited them. I believe in 2003 before Abramovich appeared it was Middlesbrough who were top of the losses table over a number of years. Gibson wasn't the only one who saved them from liquidation either as he likes to let people think. 

4 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Whoever invests in a club, majority fan ownership, as I believe is common in Germany, is essential. I don't know in any detail but the top flights in Germany have the 50+1 rule, meaning fan members must have a majority stake, whether it is the parent or subsidiary company running the club. This has, from what I read, helped keep clubs financially stable and, I believe, ticket costs relatively low. I'm sure there's issues, such as making it harder to compete financially with other leagues.

That said, in the UK, the genie is definitely out of the bottle.

How would majority fan ownership work for a club like ours which is dependent on funding from the owners to the tune of millions of pounds a year ?

10 hours ago, Vinjay said:

For you? 

• Moderation Lead
11 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

How would majority fan ownership work for a club like ours which is dependent on funding from the owners to the tune of millions of pounds a year ?

Seems like the obvious truth bears repeating.

They only need to fund us so much, because of their own mistakes.

• Like 1