BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Music/gigs

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

Top tunes.

Do they still do the Northern Soul nights at King George's?

A good pal of my late brothers, Ian Gillibrand, was one of the main KGH NS DJs. Great bloke 🍻 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

A good pal of my late brothers, Ian Gillibrand, was one of the main KGH NS DJs. Great bloke 🍻 

We always wanted to go when we were kids but you needed to be proper dressed up to get in and we were a bunch of punks and skinheads so never met the standard.

We always said we'd get suited up and go but as you can imagine we always ended up getting into some other mischief.

Really wish we'd had gone. Especially since I had a full tailor made suit .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Upside Down said:

Got this on Saturday and despite the VERY questionable cover, it's got eome absolute belters on there.

IMG_20240624_083430.thumb.jpg.bf7dcd27e43872b33cfae0bcbca50156.jpg

If the reverse side has the track listing on it let’s see it pal 🙏🏻✊🏻🍻

I hadn't clocked the front cover at first as I had only seen the picture of Otis Redding and was just checking out what tunes were on it. When I flipped it back round and saw the front I was somewhat taken aback.

Surely even in the early 70s that was not ok.

Absolute belters on there though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

I hadn't clocked the front cover at first as I had only seen the picture of Otis Redding and was just checking out what tunes were on it. When I flipped it back round and saw the front I was somewhat taken aback.

Surely even in the early 70s that was not ok.

Absolute belters on there though.

The black and white minstrel show was still a regular feature on telly at that point, not to mention the golly on Robertsons jam jars, so I guess nobody would have batted an eyelid at that cover.

On 26/06/2024 at 19:20, oldjamfan1 said:

The black and white minstrel show was still a regular feature on telly at that point, not to mention the golly on Robertsons jam jars, so I guess nobody would have batted an eyelid at that cover.

It's still not the best choice for a soul compilation, especially one that is post MLK Jr and Huey Newton.

Some absolute belters on there though. Standouts obviously being Otis Redding, Aretha, Sam & Dave, Sly & The Family Stone and an absolutely buzzing tune from the Pointer Sisters.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not particularly loud , it was a cellar club a bit like images of the Cavern in Liverpool. So you didn’t have to play too loud, I don’t recall my ears ringing like they did after gigs in later years. You could see Clapton was good but we had our own local guitar god at the time - Pete Cowap who played in a 3 piece band called “ The Country Gents “ . Named after the “ Gretsch  “ guitar he sometimes played. He was a brilliant player but didn’t make the most of his talents. His band was the first band I ever saw that had a tribute band playing at the same time ! Look him up

A local guy called The Tony Auton Band did a good musical tribute to him - “ I Remember Jim “ . Well worth a listen. Check it out on you tube.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

I saw the Kinks the week “ You Really Got Me  “ went to number one at the same club. John Lee Hooker was another good gig there.  I missed out on seeing Little Richard because the tickets were 50p and I couldn’t afford that. Alexis Korner and various hangers on, Long John Baldry, Georgie Fame etc seemed to be on every Sunday night. Elton John, with a band called Bluesology I think,  were regulars. The house band was David John And The Mood from Preston. They were in the Stones style and went on tour with them. When they got back off that tour their gear had had a massive up grade. All really nice “ Gibson “ guitars and brand new “ Vox “ amps.

• Like 2

I had an estate agent around valuing my house the other day. He noticed the signed photo of The Beatles with Pete Best on drums in the Cavern I have on the stairs wall. He said “ Look at this house I valued a few weeks ago”.

The owner had converted his cellar into a replica of The Cavern with the famous wall backdrop. He had Cavern era Beatles like they were playing painted life size on the wall. It looked brilliant. He’d got the guy who’d actually painted the replica wall  in the modern Cavern to do it. The estate agent reckoned it cost the guys £thousands to do.

• Like 2

On 28/07/2024 at 21:58, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I saw the Kinks the week “ You Really Got Me  “ went to number one at the same club. John Lee Hooker was another good gig there.  I missed out on seeing Little Richard because the tickets were 50p and I couldn’t afford that. Alexis Korner and various hangers on, Long John Baldry, Georgie Fame etc seemed to be on every Sunday night. Elton John, with a band called Bluesology I think,  were regulars. The house band was David John And The Mood from Preston. They were in the Stones style and went on tour with them. When they got back off that tour their gear had had a massive up grade. All really nice “ Gibson “ guitars and brand new “ Vox “ amps.

That's awesome Tyrone. Surprised somewhat that Mayall wasn't that loud given Clapton used to run his Marshall flat out or close to it.

I've actually played the cavern, the new one obviously as they demolished the original to build a vent. We played in the back room which I was somewhat disappointed with as I wanted to play in the actual cavern part. I did play numerous gigs at the cellar bar so the novelty of the cavern wasn't that big a deal.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Upside Down said:

That's awesome Tyrone. Surprised somewhat that Mayall wasn't that loud given Clapton used to run his Marshall flat out or close to it.

I've actually played the cavern, the new one obviously as they demolished the original to build a vent. We played in the back room which I was somewhat disappointed with as I wanted to play in the actual cavern part. I did play numerous gigs at the cellar bar so the novelty of the cavern wasn't that big a deal.

Maybe my ears were better then, they were certainly younger, I’d be 15 when I was going down there.
It was called the “ Cubi-Klub “ and The Rolling Stones  were due to play there on the opening night in April 1964. They’d just released their first LP. Anyway there was massive trouble in the town that night and they didn’t appear. Mods v Rockers apparently. I saw three of them drive past the entrance to the club in a little Ford “ Thames “ van earlier on. The story was the other two couldn’t get through. It was front page news in the press the next day.

The owner/promoter of the club told the press that everbody would get their money back but nobody I knew did. Years later he firked off to Brazil and every time the Stones played Rio De Janeiro he tried to sue them for lost takings. As you can see he wa s a bit of a fantasist. The poster advertising the opening of the club had a list of acts he said were already booked. Most of them never appeared ! 

I was in a second hand record shop in Manchester years ago and the guy had copies of that poster for sale. I’ve got a framed one in our study now.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Upside Down said:

You were right @Gav, Richard Ashcroft is the best songwriter of the 90s.

Toss up between Richard and Noel, I’m going Richard 👍

He hates the limelight, struggles with fame, but writes amazing songs.

• Like 1

Looks like Oasis are coming back next summer, seen them a few times, last one was at Heaton Park 2009.

Be good to have a band with some bollox and great tunes to boot, new music wouldn't go a miss either.