BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

A 2-1 win for the U21s against Villa. A pretty poor game between two poor sides. Batty got stretchered off with what looked like an injury to his left shin. Hopefully it was just precautionary. Nothing to do with his injury, but I could not understand playing Batty as a central defender in a three. The game itself was poor in the first half by the Rovers, but improved for the second half. The only two that stood out for me were Leonard and Burns. Gamble at the back was steady. But a win is a win.

PS. There maybe some confusing reports on the game, as the team sheets were a load of bollocks. Burns and Wood with our goals. 

• Like 1

Once again the youngsters showed great character and resolve to get a result. Coming from behind to win against a decent team was encouraging. Interestingly the way we played (and have in the games I've seen this season) bears little resemblance to how the seniors play. We aren't afraid to go long when we have to and we don't really overplay and take unnecessary risks. Hopefully Jake Batty wasn't too seriously injured although he was in a lot of pain as they immobilised his left leg.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Once again the youngsters showed great character and resolve to get a result. Coming from behind to win against a decent team was encouraging. Interestingly the way we played (and have in the games I've seen this season) bears little resemblance to how the seniors play. We aren't afraid to go long when we have to and we don't really overplay and take unnecessary risks. Hopefully Jake Batty wasn't too seriously injured although he was in a lot of pain as they immobilised his left leg.

Coming from behind? Methinks the first team could learn a thing or two there...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

butterworth scores again for port vale,i know he`s not very good but he`s still an improvement on jack vale,who does`nt move and does`nt do much,as least butterworth runs about a lot for 30 minutes before having to come off shattered😄

I would say Sam Burns is better than either Butterworth or Vale. Him and Leonard seem to have a good understanding of each others play.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Non of them are the standard required . We need a new proven goalscorer

Andy Carroll?

Just looked him up on Wiki. No thanks. We don't want HIM.

Edited by bazza

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I thought Leonard looked quite tidy when I saw him play in pre-season. Is he not highly rated?

I agree Leonard is tidy, but that is all. He just about stands out at U21s level. If he will make the step-up to first team level, is a question that I do not have an opinion about. If I was forced to say either way I would say that Leonard will fall short of being a first team player.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rigger said:

One thing you do get from Burns, is aggression. He upsets any defender he comes up against.

That would soon be drilled out of him if he was with the first team.

Or he would end up out wide.

Edited by MarkBRFC

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

butterworth scores again for port vale,i know he`s not very good but he`s still an improvement on jack vale,who does`nt move and does`nt do much,as least butterworth runs about a lot for 30 minutes before having to come off shattered😄

Looks like he's found his level - hopefully we can get a fee for him in January. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Coming from behind? Methinks the first team could learn a thing or two there...

We aren't afraid to go long when we have to and we don't really overplay and take unnecessary risks

I'm assuming Arbitro thinks we could learn from this as well!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He didnt seem to upset many senior defenders in League 2.

I have never seen him play in league 2, so I cannot comment. But in the games I have seen him play, Burns has upset every defence. Even when he personally has not had a great game 

Edited by rigger

4 hours ago, Blueandwhitemike said:

I think Butterworth has the skill to challenge for the first team it's more of a question of whether he has the brain and the heart to do it

Surely we must have people who can get the best out of him? I agree he has the talent.

11 hours ago, 47er said:

We aren't afraid to go long when we have to and we don't really overplay and take unnecessary risks

I'm assuming Arbitro thinks we could learn from this as well!

I certainly do and my points were a dig at Tomasson. I read somewhere that he wants to replicate a way of playing from the seniors down but having watched the Under 21's four times recently this simply isn't the case.

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He didnt seem to upset many senior defenders in League 2.

Given that he was playing for the poorest team in the league and how many times did you watch him play for Scunthorpe? what was his performances like and was they any improvements in his game comparing to the previous season?

12 hours ago, BRFC_Polky said:

David Dunn is at Port Vale as 1st team team coach

27 minutes ago, rigger said:

Where are Ash Phillips, Adam Wharton, JRC, Pike, Mola, Markanday, and Hirst ? 

Hasn't JDT given Phillips, Wharton, Mola, Markanday and Hirst time off like other 1st team players?

Edited by chaddyrovers