BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

A decent performance against a young looking Celtic side with Thomas showing up really well early on. He faded a bit in the second half but we got an hour out of him probably with a view to Monday evening. We were coasting at 3-0 and pretty much switch off and became far too casual. We conceded from a Garratt mistake and could have conceded another after. Overall though it was quite comfortable with Edun and Phillips the picks for me.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

id`e like to see burns or leonard take the place of the "im`e allergic to running vale" about time one of them was given the chance

As a partner for one of our taller forwards, I would like to see Burns given a chance. He is similar to Dolan but more physical.

3 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

id`e like to see burns or leonard take the place of the "im`e allergic to running vale" about time one of them was given the chance

I think Burns is all but gone, though, surprised he didn't get a loan move. The problem we face is that no-one is setting a standard, which is needed, I feel, for most young players to come in and perform. 

Edited by riverholmes

4 hours ago, neophox said:

Starting 11?

Rovers: Hilton, Saadi (Montgomery, 83), Phillips, Gamble, Edun (Gilsenan, 70), O'Grady-Macken, Garrett, Thomas (Burns, 70), Szmodics (Fyles, 46), Gent (Pratt, 83), Leonard

Unused Subs: Eastham

U21s lost 2-1 at home to Peterborough U21s in the Premier League Cup. Our goal a penalty, though so was one of theirs.

Seems a bit embarrassing on the face of it, did anyone watch to be able to explain how the fuck we managed that? Although a glance at the lineup shows a lot of names I don't recognise, looks mostly like a u18 side so I'm guessing we underestimated them before the game and/or needed to rest players.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

U21s lost 2-1 at home to Peterborough U21s in the Premier League Cup. Our goal a penalty, though so was one of theirs.

Seems a bit embarrassing on the face of it, did anyone watch to be able to explain how the fuck we managed that? Although a glance at the lineup shows a lot of names I don't recognise, looks mostly like a u18 side so I'm guessing we underestimated them before the game and/or needed to rest players.

The Rovers team was predominantly under 18 and the Peterborough team were bigger and stronger which certainly helped them win the game. We were really naive at times, understandable really. In fact it was almost a reversal the Celtic game where we looked bigger and stronger. I guess the thinking was give some of the youngsters a game against a better standard of player than they are used to given the game was a dead rubber.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

The Rovers team was predominantly under 18 and the Peterborough team were bigger and stronger which certainly helped them win the game. We were really naive at times, understandable really. In fact it was almost a reversal the Celtic game where we looked bigger and stronger. I guess the thinking was give some of the youngsters a game against a better standard of player than they are used to given the game was a dead rubber.

That's what I thought. Didn't realise it was a dead rubber though. Fair enough then, the right call. Probably not a better standard of player as such, I'm sure they've lost by more against U18 teams who have tons of skill, but pitting them against larger, stronger players is a handy part of their learning curve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

It was a total non- game, as we had already qualified for the next stage, in fact the next game is on Monday.

5 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Has Ethan Walker ever played? I can't recall seeing his name on the teamsheet.

He got injured in one of the Premier Intercontinental Cup matches around in early November. He then came on as a sub against Man Utd in one of the most recent games but hasn't been seen since.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Last I saw of him he was scoring a sensational overhead kick against Manure.

He looked physically strong when he came on in that game. If I remember rightly he came on, on the right wing. He looked a bit heavy for a winger. I don't know what his best position is.

On the topic of Rovers' home grown strikers of note, perhaps, Ellis Simms might become one, even tenuously. He was on the bench for Everton (and scored for Sunderland recently against Rovers). Though, according to Everton's site, he joined their academy at sixteen and had spells at Man City and Rovers before that, so don't know how much of his time was spent at Brockhall.

9 hours ago, riverholmes said:

On the topic of Rovers' home grown strikers of note, perhaps, Ellis Simms might become one, even tenuously. He was on the bench for Everton (and scored for Sunderland recently against Rovers). Though, according to Everton's site, he joined their academy at sixteen and had spells at Man City and Rovers before that, so don't know how much of his time was spent at Brockhall.

Yeah he did spend time at Rovers. So many players did, unfortunately for every Lewis Travis we nick from Liverpool, we lose an Ellis Simms to a Man City.