BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Adam Armstrong

Thanks for the replies. Consensus is that he’s a gamble, but that is the pool we are swimming in. Can’t believe we are seeing the sums for lukaku and Grealish.

I had forgotten about Ostenstad. What a great player. I was at the dell when he destroyed Man utd. Lovely player. So underrated. 

I get the impression of all the strikers that have traded places he is at the lowest rung of Shearer, Davies, Beatts, Ostenstadt.

Always liked Rovers. Never been to Ewood, sorry to say.

I have been to Turf moor and to be honest was the best Balti pie I ever had(sorry)

Good luck on your season. Have fun. You’re not missing much in the premier league.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, WarriorSaint said:

Thanks for the replies. Consensus is that he’s a gamble, but that is the pool we are swimming in. Can’t believe we are seeing the sums for lukaku and Grealish.

I had forgotten about Ostenstad. What a great player. I was at the dell when he destroyed Man utd. Lovely player. So underrated. 

I get the impression of all the strikers that have traded places he is at the lowest rung of Shearer, Davies, Beatts, Ostenstadt.

I have been to Turf moor and to be honest was the best Balti pie I ever had(sorry)

Good luck on your season. Have fun. You’re not missing much in the premier league.

You have no idea what was in that turd filled pie😂😂😂 enjoy Arma and good luck this season

• Like 4

Best of luck to Armo, really hope the next stage in his career is a successful one.

I don't think he's going to be truly prolific but 12-15 goals is probably achievable. 

He needs to improve his finishing for sure, chances in the prem won't be anything like as numerous as last season. Then he's also got the added hindrance of VAR catching him offside. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, WarriorSaint said:

We miss the TV cash…

• Like 2

Armstrong's strength, in my opinion, is to make a yard, with his pace, and strike a fierce shot. He doesn't need to beat defenders and is confident having a strike.

I would hesitantly and very generally compare Adam Armstrong to a young Shane Long, mostly, in terms of their somewhat stocky frame and burst of pace. A potential difference is that Armstrong has got a long-range strike in him, as evidenced by a couple of goal of the season awards in his career, which, I'm not sure Long has, so much. I'm sure others might correct me on this comparison, as it is based on very limited knowledge of Shane Long.

The problem Armstrong may have is if he's asked to play as a wide forward, rather than the centre forward. He'll have to work a lot harder and won't have the luxury of waiting on the shoulder of defenders so much. I do wonder whether he'll struggle in that position given that Saints have Redmond, Djenepo, Walcott, Tella and, possibly, Diallo competing with him. Perhaps, Hassenhuttl does see him as centre forward.

Regardless, I think Armstrong's an intelligent player and could adapt, with the right manager.

PS. Saints memories - Marians Pahars' goal in our Roy Hodgson/Brian Kidd relegation season. From what I remember, it was a late goal that made relegation all but certain. Especially, painful as Pahars was one of my favourite non-Rovers players.

Edited by riverholmes

9 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Armstrong's strength, in my opinion, is to make a yard, with his pace, and strike a fierce shot. He doesn't need to beat defenders and is confident having a strike.

I would hesitantly and very generally compare Adam Armstrong to a young Shane Long, mostly, in terms of their somewhat stocky frame and burst of pace. A potential difference is that Armstrong has got a long-range strike in him, as evidenced by a couple of goal of the season awards in his career, which, I'm not sure Long has, so much. I'm sure others might correct me on this comparison, as it is based on very limited knowledge of Shane Long.

The problem Armstrong may have is if he's asked to play as a wide forward, rather than the centre forward. He'll have to work a lot harder and won't have the luxury of waiting on the shoulder of defenders so much. I do wonder whether he'll struggle in that position given that Saints have Redmond, Djenepo, Walcott, Tella and, possibly, Diallo competing with him. Perhaps, Hassenhuttl does see him as centre forward.

Regardless, I think Armstrong's an intelligent player and could adapt, with the right manager.

PS. Saints memories - Marians Pahars' goal in our Roy Hodgson/Brian Kidd relegation season. From what I remember, it was a late goal that made relegation all but certain. Especially, painful as Pahars was one of my favourite non-Rovers players.

It's an interesting comparison with Long. There are similarities for sure. I would be interested to know who would be quicker over 100m. Maybe Armstrong over the first yard or two, but at full pelt, I suspect Long might be. 

Long is stronger than Armstrong and is really good, actually I would go as far as excellent, in the air. They both have played on the outside of a front 3. Longs all round game would be better id say, but Armstrong has improved on that and could continue to do so. Armstrong is the better finisher, that's Longs achiles heel, but he has always been honest and worked hard  at being a nuisance. 

Armstrong has the potential to score far more Premier League goals if he gets going ,but in fairness to Long he has played almost 350 PL games and scored over 50 goals. So Armstrong has a fair bit to go to get near those numbers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WarriorSaint said:

Except the money.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, riverholmes said:

Full backs are normally quicker than centre halves. That’s why Armstrong likes playing up the middle rather than out wide.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WarriorSaint said:

Why do you keep mentioning Davies? He was, pound for pound, one of our worst ever signings. Bolton did well out of him though.

All the best with Armstrong. I think ‘gamble’ is right. Quite frustrating that PL clubs can now throw £15m-£20m at a player and call it gambling money though. Even more frustrating that, thanks to Venkys, we are now on the wrong side of it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WarriorSaint said:

Jesus mate, be careful what you wish for. We have a Chinese gangster in charge that has not said a peep or invested 1 penny into the club since he bought us with Chinese state money three years ago. We are on our uppers. We can only buy when we sell.

The best fun I’ve had in 30 years of supporting Saints was our 6 years from relegation to league 1 and promotion push back up the leagues. The clubs I got to visit and fans I met were something I didn’t know I missed until then.

The premier league is the WWE of football. All trousers and no knickers. If you want a swap I’ll bite your hand off.

Our owners have visited once in the ten years of their reign, got hit by a snowball and have since never returned.

9 hours ago, WarriorSaint said:

The best fun I’ve had in 30 years of supporting Saints was our 6 years from relegation to league 1 and promotion push back up the leagues. The clubs I got to visit and fans I met were something I didn’t know I missed until then.

The premier league is the WWE of football. All trousers and no knickers. If you want a swap I’ll bite your hand off.

Absolutely spot on 👍

9 hours ago, WarriorSaint said:

Jesus mate, be careful what you wish for. We have a Chinese gangster in charge that has not said a peep or invested 1 penny into the club since he bought us with Chinese state money three years ago. We are on our uppers. We can only buy when we sell.

Aye. Ironically our league one visit was the most enjoyable season in a long time.  Although winning plenty of  games makes any season enjoyable!

Premier league isn't much fun if you are a bottom half team.  After a couple of seasons enjoying taking on the big boys, the novelty wears off.  You can't win anything so you tread water and it becomes stale.

Better to be there though  than a mid table championship team.

As an aside, always thought Eyal Berkovich was a good little player that had a stint with you and us back in the day. 

• Like 1

I think Armstrong will do alright in the Premier League - I reckon he'll get double figures this season (maybe 10/12 goals).

He's got great pace, can finish with both feet and can score from distance. 

I wouldn't have said he was Championship quality when we first got him on loan - but since Dack has been injured, he's really come into his own.

Definitely has aspects of his game that he needs to improve, but I think he's probably got the attitude to do that (I'm basing that on how he's improved over the last 18-20 months).

Great bit of business by Mowbray, bought for £2m and sold for £15m - I don't like the 40% clause from Newcastle, but they held all the cards at the time and we still clear 4 times his original outlay, great bit of business. 

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Gav said:

Great bit of business by Mowbray, bought for £2m and sold for £15m - I don't like the 40% clause from Newcastle, but they held all the cards at the time and we still clear 4 times his original outlay, great bit of business. 

And we got 28 goals out of him last season. I think the Rovers are the winners.

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Aye. Ironically our league one visit was the most enjoyable season in a long time.  Although winning plenty of  games makes any season enjoyable!

Premier league isn't much fun if you are a bottom half team.  After a couple of seasons enjoying taking on the big boys, the novelty wears off.  You can't win anything so you tread water and it becomes stale.

Better to be there though  than a mid table championship team.

As an aside, always thought Eyal Berkovich was a good little player that had a stint with you and us back in the day. 

He played a season with Matt le Tiss. I was in the stands and can quite readily say he outshone le tiss on many occasions. Was a beautiful player. God knows how much he would be worth today.

• Like 1

Armstrong will feed of the class of Ward Prowse who is a fabulous midfielder with vision. I just hope he does well and like I said he goes with my best wishes, a superb player for us and the profit we made cannot be questioned.

One of the positives of this lots current reign

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, WarriorSaint said:

He played a season with Matt le Tiss. I was in the stands and can quite readily say he outshone le tiss on many occasions. Was a beautiful player. God knows how much he would be worth today.

Fantastic little player Berkovic was. Part of our team the last time we got out of this division. Never really understand why we didn't take him permanently after that loan, but then we brought in Tugay instead who went on to become one of the best midfielders this club has ever had. 

• Like 3