BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Brereton Diaz

On 20/09/2024 at 13:54, Exiled_Rover said:

He failed miserably in Spain and was quickly kicked out of the door. He's now set an individual record for the number of games played by a PL player without a win and his current fan base hate him.

So yeah I'd say his career is going down the drain.

be reet with all Wonga he's made..

On 20/09/2024 at 12:55, Upside Down said:

Probably on the advice of somebody who was set to receive a nice fat commission from the deal.

We were getting such terrible advice back then. Things seem to have finally changed where we are acquiring players cheap who are doing well with their value or even increasing. Sammie signed for £1-2m and sold for £8m+

11 minutes ago, NeilInBristol said:

We were getting such terrible advice back then. Things seem to have finally changed where we are acquiring players cheap who are doing well with their value or even increasing. Sammie signed for £1-2m and sold for £8m+

And then reinvest absolutely none of the money.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

And then reinvest absolutely none of the money.

Yuki and Gueye? But yeh I totally agree.

Wharton money, Raya money... 

That's a whole different thread though!

At least we aren't paying huge fees dodgy agents now

Edited by NeilInBristol
Typo

3 hours ago, 47er said:

Then it’s the bargain of the century!

Don’t remind me 🤦🏼‍♂️

On BBD, surprised to see people saying he’s made bad career moves. The lad’s just secured a three-year contract with a Premier League club, off the back of scoring something like seven in 14 for one of the worst teams the PL has ever seen (whose fans idolised him while he was there). I fail to see how that’s remotely in line with his career going down the drain. Granted it’s not started great with Saints but he’ll be handy for them in the Champo next season 🙂

To deploy a cliche I think he’s probably found his level. Can be a monster in the Champ, and a useful option in the Prem but a bit too one-dimensional to start regularly for a team with any aspirations. I can see him bouncing along at them kind of teams for most of his career. Which will in no way be a failure or a fizzling out afaic

Edited by PotterLog
  • Like 7

• Backroom

A confidence player who can be useful in either Prem or Championship in purple patches, but won't ever be consistent in either division. Think he barely got an assist or a goal in his last 5 months here, and it was similar the season prior where he had one good half of the season and one useless half (from memory injury did play a factor there, though, so perhaps a bit of mitigation).

I don't really think he's PL quality. Maybe for clubs that are destined for the drop but those clubs aren't PL quality either, hence being relegated. He's Championship quality when confident, but pretty much useless when he isn't.   

• Like 4

On 24/09/2024 at 01:39, PotterLog said:

Don’t remind me 🤦🏼‍♂️

On BBD, surprised to see people saying he’s made bad career moves. The lad’s just secured a three-year contract with a Premier League club, off the back of scoring something like seven in 14 for one of the worst teams the PL has ever seen (whose fans idolised him while he was there). I fail to see how that’s remotely in line with his career going down the drain. Granted it’s not started great with Saints but he’ll be handy for them in the Champo next season 🙂

To deploy a cliche I think he’s probably found his level. Can be a monster in the Champ, and a useful option in the Prem but a bit too one-dimensional to start regularly for a team with any aspirations. I can see him bouncing along at them kind of teams for most of his career. Which will in no way be a failure or a fizzling out afaic

Agree with this (apart from it was 6 in 14) until the last sentence. Due to his being massively a confidence player, his career could certainly fizzle out if things go against him at the wrong times.

On 24/09/2024 at 09:24, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We made a bad career move in signing him in the first place. We bet the ranch on a guy that took two seasons to even look like a footballer.

And then lost him for nothing, enabling a team who took almost no risk on him to make the same amount we paid for him inside 1 season.

On 24/09/2024 at 12:15, DE. said:

I don't really think he's PL quality. Maybe for clubs that are destined for the drop but those clubs aren't PL quality either, hence being relegated. He's Championship quality when confident, but pretty much useless when he isn't.   

I think the fact he scored 6 in 14 in the Prem says he is Premiership quality when confident. But yes, useless when he isn't.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluebruce said:

And then lost him for nothing, enabling a team who took almost no risk on him to make the same amount we paid for him inside 1 season.

When it's written down, it really does show how massively this club messed up the asset that BBD was. Although we all know the transfer fee received would have not come our way, so it kicked Venkys in the arse probably more so than the club.

On 24/09/2024 at 11:24, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We made a bad career move in signing him in the first place. We bet the ranch on a guy that took two seasons to even look like a footballer.

Bad advice back then from agents making money out of venous. They seem to be a bit more sensible now. But it's not our money to spend it's theirs

so a venky lover from Bristol.

more sensible now, any sensible owners would reinvest money from sales for one . 

sensible owners would show up once in a while

sensible owners wouldn't be at mercy of there govt 

sensible my arse , venomous rats they are. 

sensible wouldn't have maggot 

On 20/09/2024 at 14:40, Silas said:

In terms of money, opportunity, level played/playing at? 

It's a fine balancing act in terms of perceived 'success' (i.e. wealth + a Prem League player) vs happiness and a good, healthy work/life balance. 

Phil Jones should serve as a warning to those that come after him:

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news/man-utd/phil-jones-manchester-united-injury-mental-trauma-interview-590255-20240917

"Phil Jones opens up on 'mental trauma' he suffered at Man Utd in incredibly honest interview"

I wonder how much happier Jones's career could have been on an alternate timeline well away from the pressure cooker mess of Old Trafford.

Money isn't everything, (the World doesn't always work this way), but give me the choice of the 'Phil Jones' route and being worth £40M, or playing for a Championship club where you're idolised, appreciated, and minus the abuse, and end up only worth £10M, it's a no brainer for me. 

While I'm not usually opposed to casting blame towards Manchester United that grotesque face pulling idiot only has himself to blame. He's the biggest laughing stock you will ever find. Mental trauma? Good. I was mentally traumatised by the 7-1 defeat he didn't give a toss about.

What goes around comes around. 

Edited by Vinjay
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, Vinjay said:

While I'm not usually opposed to casting blame towards Manchester United that grotesque face pulling idiot only has himself to blame. He's the biggest laughing stock you will ever find. Mental trauma? Good. I was mentally traumatised by the 7-1 defeat he didn't give a toss about.

Do you support City still or Rovers?

I will ignore the implication that you are happy that someone is suffering from mental trauma.

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, Vinjay said:

All heart, you.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2024 at 08:35, NeilInBristol said:

• Ben Brereton Diaz is winless in all 20 of his Premier League appearances, a record for most matches played without ever winning in the division.

What a Stat

Who does he face today?

Arsenal.. 

Pretty sure I saw a post when he was at 19 saying it was the record then. Dunno what the previous record was, but they lost to Arsenal too...however he didn't get on the pitch so that one won't count to that record, which he currently holds by at least two games.

I'm not clear on whether this is the record for consecutive played games without a win, or the record for having never won in the PL whatsoever. Ie, if he won the next game he plays, will he no longer hold this record at all? I feel like teams have gone 20 games without a win before, so I imagine the record is the latter one.

7 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Pretty sure I saw a post when he was at 19 saying it was the record then. Dunno what the previous record was, but they lost to Arsenal too...however he didn't get on the pitch so that one won't count to that record, which he currently holds by at least two games.

I'm not clear on whether this is the record for consecutive played games without a win, or the record for having never won in the PL whatsoever. Ie, if he won the next game he plays, will he no longer hold this record at all? I feel like teams have gone 20 games without a win before, so I imagine the record is the latter one.

Just checked, it's consecutive games lost, overtaking record, apparently, of Marvin Sordell's 17 games, 2012-2015 with Bolton and Burnley. I think this record might say more about the Premier League than about Brereton. It seems it's getting harder for newly promoted clubs to get points and, if so, we can expect this record to broken more often going forwards.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, riverholmes said:

Just checked, it's consecutive games lost, overtaking record, apparently, of Marvin Sordell's 17 games, 2012-2015 with Bolton and Burnley. I think this record might say more about the Premier League than about Brereton. It seems it's getting harder for newly promoted clubs to get points and, if so, we can expect this record to broken more often going forwards.

Agreed, this record basically just shows how low quality the premier league is now.

• Like 1