BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

He isnt getting sacked imo

We all have our opinions on Mowbray. Yesterday he picked a formation that's suits the 11 he picked. Where against QPR he tried to be too clever tactical instead of keeping it simple. 

Mowbray need to keep it simple and not look to over complicated the tactics or team selection. But we know he won't do this. 

We can make playoffs this season and add a couple of quality signings in January..

2 hours ago, TruRover said:

On top of this there’s been mentions of wilder attending our last couple of games. 

Didn't know that. 

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

If thinking of sacking him then now is the best time with better managers in McCarthy, Bruce and wilder available 

Bruce will want a break and unlikely to return to football management anytime soon after his Newcastle experience 

Why McCarthy? Just sacked by Cardiff after 8 defeats and had no answers to stop the rot. No Plan B. 

If we are replacing Mowbray surely we need a manager who is on the up with fresh ideas, tactical aware, Motivator, etc

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Bruce will want a break and unlikely to return to football management anytime soon after his Newcastle experience 

Why McCarthy? Just sacked by Cardiff after 8 defeats and had no answers to stop the rot. No Plan B. 

If we are replacing Mowbray surely we need a manager who is on the up with fresh ideas, tactical aware, Motivator, etc

Because he’s an improvement on Mowbray. Will people be running down to ewood because of him no but is he better than 100% yes. He may not have a plan B but moggadon doesn’t even have a plan A after 5 years. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Like I say I don't think either will happen unless we're in imminent danger of going down.

Would that be my personal choice? No but there you are. 

By the end of the season Mowbray will most likely have burnt his way through roughly £100 m of Venky's money to not even finish in the play offs once.

If people think that's an acceptable return, and seemingly some on here think it is, I despair.

And yet our owners clearly think it is if they keep him until the end of the season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Because he’s an improvement on Mowbray. Will people be running down to ewood because of him no but is he better than 100% yes. He may not have a plan B but moggadon doesn’t even have a plan A after 5 years. 

He seen Plan A yesterday in 4-3-3. 

McCarthy isn't any improvement on Mowbray. He is yesterday man. 

Didn't we hammered his Cardiff team 5-1 recently? McCarthy had no idea how to stop us. 

52 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He seen Plan A yesterday in 4-3-3. 

McCarthy isn't any improvement on Mowbray. He is yesterday man. 

Didn't we hammered his Cardiff team 5-1 recently? McCarthy had no idea how to stop us. 

We still don’t have a plan A though. It was 4-3-3 yesterday (seems to be people’s favoured formation) but it was 3-5-2 on Tuesday and could be something totally different vs derby. It’s just a series of random formations with random selections. Mowbray still has no clear idea of how he wants to play just a series of random ideas he has depending on the opposition so as such there’s no plan A. You could argue he has about 10 half baked plans none of which cohesively work consistently

• Like 4

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think McCarthy has had his day. There must be better options out there.

I think you're probably right. I have a lot of respect for Mick as a manager and how he generally goes about his business, but if I was recruiting it would be difficult to overlook him presiding over Cardiff's worst run in their entire history. I'd probably invite him in for an interview so that he could give his side of the story in regards to what happened, but I think the way it ended at Cardiff will have been a real hammerblow to his reputation. He's only 62 so in managerial terms he isn't ancient, and in fairness his record pre-2020 is still very good. It's just been a tough couple of years for him. He's someone I'd want to talk to if I was in charge of hiring a new manager, but I'd definitely need reassurances regarding what caused Cardiff's total and utter collapse under his watch.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, matt83 said:

We still don’t have a plan A though. It was 4-3-3 yesterday (seems to be people’s favoured formation) but it was 3-5-2 on Tuesday and could be something totally different vs derby. It’s just a series of random formations with random selections. Mowbray still has no clear idea of how he wants to play just a series of random ideas he has depending on the opposition so as such there’s no plan A. You could argue he has about 10 half baked plans none of which cohesively work consistently

Mowbray explained why he played 3 at the back in recent games. 

But 4-3-3 is our best formation and allow us to play our best 11 players in their correct positions. Look at we outplayed McCarthy's team that day in that formation. We were outstanding. 

McCarthy's management days are probably gone now. 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I think McCarthy has had his day. There must be better options out there.

Did years ago tbh. 

Football has move on from the McCarthy and Hughton days of their peak. Look at Cooper at Forest and Swansea days or Ainsworth at Wycombe. 2 plans/formations. Good tactically and motivator 

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

And yet our owners clearly think it is if they keep him until the end of the season.

Hmm...... if he was granted a new deal then maybe.

Perhaps the FFP mess Mowbray got us into ironically dictated a pragmatic approach of not incurring further expense by not paying him off unless it was absolutely necessary?

4 hours ago, TruRover said:

On top of this there’s been mentions of wilder attending our last couple of games. 

I was at the Coventry game and I was convinced I saw Wilder in and around the directors lounge area. 
Said it to my brother who was with me but it didn’t make much sense to me why he’d be there, so just assumed it was his doppelgänger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

We all have our opinions on Mowbray. Yesterday he picked a formation that's suits the 11 he picked. Where against QPR he tried to be too clever tactical instead of keeping it simple. 

Mowbray need to keep it simple and not look to over complicated the tactics or team selection. But we know he won't do this. 

Spot on Chaddy. If he did this every game we would be a lot further up the league 

21 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Hmm...... if he was granted a new deal then maybe.

Perhaps the FFP mess Mowbray got us into ironically dictated a pragmatic approach of not incurring further expense by not paying him off unless it was absolutely necessary?

Or they couldnt find someone to agree to take over due to not being able to spend a decent amount this summer and with our top scorer leaving.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Miker said:

I think whether he stays or go will be conditional on his performance in the next 3 matches. 

There’s about 7-9 clubs vying for the last 2 playoff spots atm. We could easily find ourselves in one of those spots by the time the international break comes around. We’re facing bottom of the league Derby and an underperform Sheff Utd at home. 

It would be outrageous to sack him when we have the 4th best GD in the league and 1 point away from top 6.

Derby won't be an easy game,the only reason they're bottom is because of the 12 point deduction.

• Like 5

if mowbray does get the boot then great,he wont` ever get us anywhere but mid table,given that venkys have now seemingly taken a back seat maybe a positive appointment like wilder or an young ambitious manager like ainsworth etc would`nt end up with them walking out,a la lambert,depends if they get a transfer budget as well,iv`e long since been of the opinion that mowbray wasted a lot of money with little to show for it,hence they stopped giving him any,at our level if you are spending 12 million quid on two strikers you expect an immediate effect,it`s taken 3 seasons for brereton to make an impact and it`s not mowbrays input that turned him round either,gallagher spent the last two seasons playing on the flanks ffs,however you look at,it`s a bad deal spending so much,we are unlikely to make a profit on them,hardly surprising venkys have pulled the plug on mowbray,i know i would

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray explained why he played 3 at the back in recent games. 

But 4-3-3 is our best formation and allow us to play our best 11 players in their correct positions. Look at we outplayed McCarthy's team that day in that formation. We were outstanding. 

McCarthy's management days are probably gone now. 

Did years ago tbh. 

Football has move on from the McCarthy and Hughton days of their peak. Look at Cooper at Forest and Swansea days or Ainsworth at Wycombe. 2 plans/formations. Good tactically and motivator 

The same could be applied to Mowbray.  A dinosaur manager 

3 hours ago, roverblue said:

Spot on Chaddy. If he did this every game we would be a lot further up the league 

keep it simple. 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 with playing pressing game and play on the front foot. 

1 hour ago, roverandout said:

The same could be applied to Mowbray.  A dinosaur manager 

You could if you want but rather have Mowbray then McCarthy or Hughton at Rovers. 

Already explained the type of replacement I want to replace Mowbray with

Think Big Mick has had his day and now well past his best and not for us.

Surprised to see Bruce's name mentioned on here - wouldn't be my choice and I don't think he would have even the slightest inclination to give us a second's thought.  Think his hunger has gone for this type of appointment and probably too busy watching the interest rack up on his £millions.

I think the next Rovers' manager, and sooner than some on here think, will be either Wilder or Neill with reports of both having attended recent Rovers' games.  I understand both have support in the Rovers' hierarchy and are not unknown to them!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, El Tombro said:

This made me curious. Ainsworth is 48 - a bit older than I thought he was. Wilder is 54. - not a great deal older than Ainsworth, and only a few years younger than Mark Hughes who seems to have been around forever.

End of the day we want a manager to get us promoted. This project stuff and type of manager stuff is fluff and air. Winning any way which way is what matters.

wilder got sheff utd promoted,though he did`nt build on his second season in the prem when he spent a lot of money wrongly,id`e be very happy with him,like you said,he gets results whatever,sheff utd wer`nt flash,just very well organised

i did`nt know ainsworth was 48 tbh,though i don`t think he`s shopworn like mowbray,hughton or mccarthy,he`ll be an improvement on tony tbh,as a long shot and it`s probably out of venkys and maggots ambition,id`e have a go at trying to poach rooney from derby,he`s done an absolutely brilliant job at derby,no money,administration and an absolute threadbare squad,he`s deffo the type of manager we should be targetting

3 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

The club has been in decline for eleven years Rev.  Mowbray, Venus and Waggott have been here for nearly five.  Venkys have been here for eleven.  To me the manager etc are merely a symptom of the problem - the problem being those in Pune who really don't know, nor care about how to run a football club.

I'd go a step further and say it's been in decline since Mark Hughes left.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Tombro said:

Not for me. He would cost a fortune because he was an excellent player, not because he's an excellent manager. Derby fans wanted him gone well before any of this financial saga kicked in. I'd be interested to see how Cocu would do with another shot at this level though. He at least has some managerial pedigree to show for it.

Cocu would be a massive no from me. He seemed even more dogmatic on sticking to a style of play which wasn't working than Mowbray was last year. 

Rooney wouldn't be my first choice by any means, but his next job (assuming he'll be leaving Derby at some point in the next year or so, maybe much sooner) will be interesting. He still has the massive name behind him, and I think the general view is that he's done a pretty decent job under very, very difficult circumstances, but at the same time I can't see a premierleague club (or a well-resourced Championship team) being too fussed about him.

His wages might be dictated by the clubs that want him, and a club in our position might well be the best he can hope for.