BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

36 minutes ago, Displaced Rover said:

Why do people buy all this shit about people talking to Waggott?

The CEO isn’t going around telling people that he’s about to fire the manager if we don’t win.

There’s also less than zero chance that Rothwell stays. He’s clearly going to Rangers.

Dunno why people lap up these “ITKs” I can’t remember any recently on here that turned out to be correct.

If you get the chance for a 1 on 1 with him find out for yourself!

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If it is true that Waggott is going around telling random fans outside the ground that the manager's job is on the line, I would suggest that doing so is incredibly unprofessional.

I very much doubt that Mowbray's job is indeed on the line sadly, I suppose logic and Venkys dont go hand in hand but why would they sack him when we are 7th when they didn't at the end of a season when we finished 15th.

Why would Paul lie?

Maybe @Paul Maniwill tell you where he sits at Ewood. But I guess it's near Waggott. 

52 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Yeah, I’ll hold my hands up, I’m 40yrs old, married, 2 nearly 3 kids, own and run a business which employs 700 people and I made all that up, because I’ve nothing better to do with my time 👍🏼

Well we’ll see with the passing of time won’t we 👍

Not seen many recently that have “come in”.

• Like 1

• Backroom

As far as Mowbray is concerned he is obviously doing some things right, or we wouldn't be 7th, we'd be scrapping at the bottom. I don't think TM is useless or completely inept, he just has some deeply-ingrained flaws which stop his teams from overachieving. We have a somewhat solid base which is repeatedly derailed by the same cracks in the foundation.

Top of this list is the constant worrying about the opposition and weakening our own team in misguided attempts to combat the supposed threats of the team we're facing. TM doesn't have enough confidence in his own team and style to just leave it be and let the opposition worry about us. He overthinks things which causes us to lose consistency, especially when we're hovering near the top six positions. 

Secondly I think he struggles to adapt if things are going against us during matches. Today we came back from behind to win, but that's a rare occurance. Normally if we go behind we struggle to get ourselves back into the game. We saw midweek against Fulham that the manager was simply unable to handle the increasingly worsening situation on the pitch, and couldn't even make obvious decisions like get everybody behind the ball and engage in some damage limitation. When things are going our way and we're looking confident it's fine, because he doesn't need to change anything. Even today it's not like we changed anything. Sheff Utd's early goal wasn't because they were set up better than us, it was just one of those things that sometimes happens at the beginning of a match. Overall we were still set up better than them and by the end that was unquestionably proven to be the case. TM's inability to influence matches during the game itself is very reminiscent of Gary Bowyer, and was also one of his biggest weaknesses.

Thirdly, and maybe somewhat related to the above, he doesn't seem to have an answer when it comes to the team losing form. The infamous 'death spirals'. If we lose a couple on the spin we know it's going to be a while before our next win. He eventually finds a way to get us back on track, but usually too late. He just doesn't identify the reasons for our loss in form quickly enough, which means by the time we've started picking up form again we've lost a significant amount of points. Too many to mount any kind of playoff push. It often seems like rather than solve the issue, he simply stumbles upon a solution either through a random team selection or by coming up against a team even worse than us, gaining a win which boosts confidence and masks the underlying issues for a while longer. Although I admit that it may be a little harsh to put this down to luck, but whether it's by luck or design, it takes too long to arrest our poor runs of form. 

I'd say those are his three biggest flaws and the main reason we struggle to overachieve with him at the helm. It's not that he's doing everything wrong, or arguably even a lot wrong, he just has some major flaws which he is either unable or unwilling to improve. Regardless of all of the above he does seem to be able to keep the players onside, which is arguably one of the most important traits a manager can have. Losing the dressing room is the kiss of death for the majority of managers and this never seems to happen with TM, even when we're on a horrendous run it eventually turns around, even if too little too late. 

Is Mowbray a bad manager? For Rovers, probably not. He's just an average manager who is unlikely to improve himself enough to be able to get us to overachieve to the point where we'll finish in the playoff positions. The fact remains that if we have ambitions to get into the playoffs (and with the division as poor as it is there is no reason we shouldn't have that ambition) we need a manager who can impart a proper winning mentality and improve the areas where our current manager is weak. Do Venky's have it in them to find that person? I doubt it. 11 years so far and no sight of a genuine winner in the dugout. Yet at the same time keeping Mowbray means we stay mid-table at best, and that surely can't be the height of our ambition as a club. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 9

49 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It’s generally in the Premier Suite that Waggott does the rounds, I imagine he wouldn’t divulge the juicy info to the great unwashed outside.

I don’t frequently go in the Premier Suite at Rovers. I’ve been in at the invitation of clients on a couple of occasions but I don’t really enjoy watching my club in that way.

I’ve spent plenty of time watching Spurs in corporate hospitality during my time in London, and I can honestly say Daniel Levy never did the rounds to tell us whether he was planning on binning the manager….

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If it is true that Waggott is going around telling random fans outside the ground that the manager's job is on the line, I would suggest that doing so is incredibly unprofessional.

I very much doubt that Mowbray's job is indeed on the line sadly, I suppose logic and Venkys dont go hand in hand but why would they sack him when we are 7th when they didn't at the end of a season when we finished 15th.

You know how these things go. It could be made up OR a fan could have said what if we lose 20 games in a row, or is there no way he could be sacked and Waggott could have said "well nobodys job is 100%" safe and all of a sudden the word going around is Mowbrays job is on the line. 

Why would they sack him now and not last sacked him last season? 

Interesting stuff from @Paul Mani

I think Rovers' executive management change their tune so often it's reminiscent of words/meaning to 'Hokey Cokey'.

However, posted earlier this week that I thought even a win wouldn't save Mowbray and I stand by that.  Think that departures of Farke and Warnock (not saying either will replace Mowbray - my money is still on Neill or Wilder in that order) will help focus some minds at Ewood (need for change). 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Thanks for the info, Paul. I'm honestly not that bothered about Lenihan leaving. I've wanted him to be replaced for a long time by a proper centre back. It would be good if the other two sign up. Let's see what happens.

He has been an inspirational captain at times in a squad devoid of leaders. be careful what you wish for.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Yeah, I’ll hold my hands up, I’m 40yrs old, married, 2 nearly 3 kids, own and run a business which employs 700 people and I made all that up, because I’ve nothing better to do with my time 👍🏼

@Paul Mani

Stop the cock waving, its embarrassing. 

Did you tell this site that Mowbray was going to be sacked in March/April 2021? Replaced by Alex Neil? Or have I got that wrong?

Edited by Gav
  • Like 4

• Moderation Lead
46 minutes ago, Gav said:

@Paul Mani

Did you tell this site that Mowbray was going to be sacked in March/April 2021? Replaced by Alex Neil? Or have I got that wrong?

You’re confusing him with Mercer, I think.

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Scott Wharton>Darragh Lenihan.

(As far as I’m concerned, anyway).

Ayala and Wharton represents our strongest centre half pairing for me.

Wharton is a brilliant player. Not quite match fit perhaps today but will end up being our best defender.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

SW said he’d told Lenihan the same. Asked all three if they felt they’d get into Fulham’s team…intimated that none of them would before pointing out that as good as Fulham are in the championship they’ll get hammered in the Prem….says the players (Rothwell & Nyambe) want to sign but the agents are deluded.

So he told 3 players hes offered contracts to that they are not good enough for the PL and neither are Rovers?

I'm not saying he's actually wrong on that but coming from a CEO conman I would be inclined to tell the shyster to fuck off.

As if that cretin knows anything about football. FFS

I hope he reads this Forum.

I also read your big dick post. I have one too.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gav said:

@Paul Mani

They were just a set of facts that were relevant, in context of the allegation Gav. If it created an emotion in you then that says more about you than it does about me. 👍🏼

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

So he told 3 players hes offered contracts to that they are not good enough for the PL and neither are Rovers?

I'm not saying he's actually wrong on that but coming from a CEO conman I would be inclined to tell the shyster to fuck off.

As if that cretin knows anything about football. FFS

I hope he reads this Forum.

I also read your big dick post. I have one too.

I’ve always found him very amenable, knowledgeable and honest in the two or three times I’ve briefly spoken to him.

I can see there’s a few getting their knickers in a twist about one of my posts. As I’ve said before, when a set of FACTS irk you so much it’s usually telling you something about yourself more than anyone else….in any case I am surprised so many are bitter about my age? Maybe they all wanna look this youthful 😉🤣🤣🤣🏽 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I’ve always found him very amenable, knowledgeable and honest in the two or three times I’ve briefly spoken to him.

I can see there’s a few getting their knickers in a twist about one of my posts. As I’ve said before, when a set of FACTS irk you so much it’s usually telling you something about yourself more than anyone else….in any case I am surprised so many are bitter about my age? Maybe they all wanna look this youthful 😉🤣🤣🤣🏽 

'Amenable, knowledgeable and honest', but completely unqualified to be the Chief Executive Officer of Blackburn Rovers FC. 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

there is a guy named Andrew who may disagree on that one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

Why do people buy all this shit about people talking to Waggott?

The CEO isn’t going around telling people that he’s about to fire the manager if we don’t win.

There’s also less than zero chance that Rothwell stays. He’s clearly going to Rangers.

Dunno why people lap up these “ITKs” I can’t remember any recently on here that turned out to be correct.

Not the firing bit but otherwise have heard very similar from someone else who has definitely had one to one contact with Waggott  so these naysayers who doubt certain info being generously divulged when it doesn't actually need to be  should get up off their backsides and make the effort to establish some contact themselves!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I believe what you've posted..... but you certainly don't help yourself.

Sorry @Paul Mani it doesn’t ring true. A CEO would not tell a random fan he hardly knows that the manager was on the verge of the sack or which players may or may not be leaving.

Information like that is strictly confidential and employee contracts have legal implications  and I cannot see any chief executive divulging such details to a member of the public. 

Newspapers often print transfer stories which often have little semblance to the truth - they’re called fliers - and this sounds similar. In my view your claims should be taken with a barrel load of salt. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

No, but I believe he’d have been gone if we’d been hammered today….it’s coming! 

If that's the stance Waggott and the owners are taking, it's incredibly unprofessional.

After three and a bit seasons in the Championship they've had ample time to assess whether Mowbray is the right man for the job or whether he's not.

He clearly isn't and one good result shouldn't change that. (Same goes for Waggott himself)

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I truly believe you about your conversation and the content with Waggott and if some posters don't want to believe it then don't shoot the messenger. What I doubt is the veracity of what Waggott said as only a few weeks ago either Mowbray or Waggott said the opposite of what was said to Paul. It was Lenihan that was close to signing then and miles apart with Nyambe and Rothwell. I have heard things that Waggott has said in the lounges pre match that just hasn't turned out to be right.

Frankly I have no trust or faith in what Waggott says but Paul is only relating what he has been told.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If that's the stance Waggott and the owners are taking, it's incredibly unprofessional.

After three and a bit seasons in the Championship they've had ample time to assess whether Mowbray is the right man for the job or whether he's not.

He clearly isn't and one good result shouldn't change that. (Same goes for Waggott himself)

His words were “Tony was really brave with that team selection and his job on the line”. If I’m honest, I have now spoken to both Mowbray and Waggot on separate occasions and been surprised each time with how open they have been about players and the club etc. It’s actually refreshing.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I believe what you've posted..... but you certainly don't help yourself.

Rev, if I was bothered what anyone on here thought I’d be long gone. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Sorry @Paul Mani it doesn’t ring true. A CEO would not tell a random fan he hardly knows that the manager was on the verge of the sack or which players may or may not be leaving.

Information like that is strictly confidential and employee contracts have legal implications  and I cannot see any chief executive divulging such details to a member of the public. 

Newspapers often print transfer stories which often have little semblance to the truth - they’re called fliers - and this sounds similar. In my view your claims should be taken with a barrel load of salt. 

I was surprised at his openness as I have been when I’ve spoken to Mowbray in similar situations.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I truly believe you about your conversation and the content with Waggott and if some posters don't want to believe it then don't shoot the messenger. What I doubt is the veracity of what Waggott said as only a few weeks ago either Mowbray or Waggott said the opposite of what was said to Paul. It was Lenihan that was close to signing then and miles apart with Nyambe and Rothwell. I have heard things that Waggott has said in the lounges pre match that just hasn't turned out to be right.

Frankly I have no trust or faith in what Waggott says but Paul is only relating what he has been told.

God knows if what was being said was true. But after the Mowbray bit I specifically asked about the contract situ and that was his answer…as you say, I was just passing it on 👍🏼

• Like 1