BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray Discussion

Fair play to Paul Mani, he has done exactly what I suspect that he set out to do by dropping that terrible post in an irrelevant thread and never returning back to it like farting in a room and making a quick getaway.

Moving away from allegations of hypocrisy, if people criticise a player when he is playing poorly and then praise a player and rate him more when he starts doing well, is that fickle, or just normal? If anything, the opposite ie being stubborn about player opinions would be more counterproductive.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, rigger said:

A forward who scored goals for us, but also fell on his arse a lot and peperred the Blackburn end with shots. But was a fans favourite.

I started going to Rovers in 88 and for ages i always used to wonder what people were shouting when a forward skied a shot miles over the bar lol

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rigger said:

A forward who scored goals for us, but also fell on his arse a lot and peperred the Blackburn end with shots. But was a fans favourite.

It was a regular chant in the playground, when I was a kid, if someone ballooned a shot over the bar. Beamo, Beamo, Beamo. It was a word that could have found itself in the Blackburn dictionary, if there was such a thing.

I love ken though and was happy to see him remain at the club for years, after his playing days ended.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

I’ve never seen a player as bad as Ben get so much in ground support in my 25 years of watching rovers. 

But at ONE game a handful hurl a few boos barely heard beyond those in immediate earshot, then it makes it to twitter and is blown way over what it actually was.

Then months later geezers who probably never attend an away match further than Preston are still carping on about it. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Not this again. Sense of shame for who?  ‘An all time low’ for who? A tiny percentage of idiots?

Considering just how poor he was, for a few YEARS, not weeks or months, he was given a lot of patience, yes grumbles, and yes there was a tiny minority of people being dickheads but that’s football, a £7million man wouldn’t have got such patience and understanding from the fanbase at many other clubs.

The fanbase at large have been excellent with BBD, shows that actually we are a pretty fair bunch down at Ewood and it’s a shame you want to go down that line…

If you feel that grown men booing teenagers is not shameful then we’re on a different page. Watch the video, he’s just a kid really who ‘we’ made cry because he wasn’t playing well!?

8 hours ago, tomphil said:

But at ONE game a handful hurl a few boos barely heard beyond those in immediate earshot, then it makes it to twitter and is blown way over what it actually was.

Then months later geezers who probably never attend an away match further than Preston are still carping on about it. 

You think that’s the only negativity he’s had? Wow…

like I said, I just hope Ben has had a positive enough experience overall and we can get a few quid for him when the time is right.

19 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

If you feel that grown men booing teenagers is not shameful then we’re on a different page. Watch the video, he’s just a kid really who ‘we’ made cry because he wasn’t playing well!?

1) That ‘crying’ never happened, that lad on the video is literally parroting internet rumours.

2) Of course any clown abusing people is acting shamefully - but a tiny minority of fools does not reflect the fanbase as a whole, basic arithmetic, and it’s weird you always do this (but right on cue to arrive 24 hours later to re-take the thread off topic, a weird way to get your thrills, but yeah we are the odd ones 😘).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, 47er said:

Here we go again! What % of your posts criticise Rovers fans?  Quite a high one I'd have thought. 

Brereton has been very well supported by the fans despite flopping for a long period of time.

I say it exactly as I see it….And yet, it only ever seems to upset the same group of you. Weird that hey? Like a pack of hyenas rushing to ‘like’ each other’s posts. Always angry, always bitter….relax lads 👍🏼.

39 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

1) That ‘crying’ never happened, that lad on the video is literally parroting internet rumours.

2) Of course any clown abusing people is acting shamefully - but a tiny minority of fools does not reflect the fanbase as a whole, basic arithmetic, and it’s weird you always do this.

Matty, I can see you’re a reasonable guy. So why do people have such a hard time taking / feeling responsibility mate? All I said is that having watched the video I felt shame. That I felt booing him (a teenage boy) was an all time low as a fanbase. That’s my opinion…

The fact that it absolutely infuriates certain people (not you) is a reflection on them. 

Edited by Paul Mani

And you’re not an idiot, but you obviously like to stir the pot. You know it is disputed that this ‘crying’ ever happened- that lad on the video is literally just parroting a rumour from Twitter - not exactly a reputed source, is it! And you certainly can’t besmirch a whole fanbase on the back of it.

My opinion is that the fanbase has been largely, yes largely, not exclusively, because every fanbase has cretins,  been excellent with him, always got behind him after years of poor performances (yes, grumbles, rolled eyes when he gave the ball away for the twentieth time in a match, but nothing more, and absolute delight when he finally broke his duck against Bolton)  - and considering you always usually like to ‘take the positives’, it’s odd that you often do the opposite with the fans, a group of people that will still be here, long after BB, TM, Swag and all the rest have departed.

• Like 7

Like we all say, I don’t gauge Rovers fans from this place, nowhere near representative, but there are some excellent erudite posters… or on the flip side from Facebook groups and their homages to St Anthony of Yarm… but I would say your regular match goer is a fairly decent yardstick and middle ground.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I say it exactly as I see it….And yet, it only ever seems to upset the same group of you. Weird that hey? 

How is that weird? I'd have said "consistent." I say it as I see it too and call out bullshit whenever I read it.

It's amazing how history is trying to be rewritten regarding BBD. He was banished to the under 23's to try and regain some from and confidence. He has also scored more goals as Brereton-Diaz than he did as just Brereton. Bradley Dack, in the most recently video mentions his problems. If a player isn't performing fan's have a right to criticise and that is the way it's always been and always will be. I'm sure I have also read or heard Brereton being critical of himself in his first two and a half years here.

The moral high ground taken by some is nauseous.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Matty, I can see you’re a reasonable guy. So why do people have such a hard time taking / feeling responsibility mate? All I said is that having watched the video I felt shame. That I felt booing him (a teenage boy) was an all time low as a fanbase. That’s my opinion…

The fact that it absolutely infuriates certain people (not you) is a reflection on them. 

what a load of namby pamby bolox. he is/was a young MAN earning a ton of money 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

It's amazing how history is trying to be rewritten regarding BBD. He was banished to the under 23's to try and regain some from and confidence. He has also scored more goals as Brereton-Diaz than he did as just Brereton. Bradley Dack, in the most recently video mentions his problems. If a player isn't performing fan's have a right to criticise and that is the way it's always been and always will be. I'm sure I have also read or heard Brereton being critical of himself in his first two and a half years here.

The moral high ground taken by some is nauseous.

Exactly. I can only imagine what the reaction would have been to the 'criticism' certain players had from the Riverside back in the day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wheelton Blue said:

Exactly. I can only imagine what the reaction would have been to the 'criticism' certain players had from the Riverside back in the day.

I agree that criticism of underperforming players is our right, we pay to be entertained. This forum is the ideal place to vent our frustrations. What’s not right is booing any of our players whether young or old, especially if they are pulling their tripe’s out for the team. We are all Rovers.

3 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

I agree that criticism of underperforming players is our right, we pay to be entertained. This forum is the ideal place to vent our frustrations. What’s not right is booing any of our players whether young or old, especially if they are pulling their tripe’s out for the team. We are all Rovers.

That day at Birmingham none of the team came anywhere near pulling their tripes out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spartakfenni said:

Disagree. Booing is way of projecting displeasure.

If a player is not up to snuff, or the manager repeatedly makes the same mistakes etc, then I have no qualms at all with booing. They are football professionals, who have intentionally placed themselves in the public spotlight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 47er said:

Dobing,Taylor,Eckersley,Clayton(of all people), Connelly, Coddington,Wilcox are a few Rovers players I've seen booed at some time or another.

We're a miserable set of bastards sometimes I admit( not uniquely) ! But Brereton has had it easy!!

It's been covered a few different times on the thread, but I think it just shows how the scrutiny that modern footballers face is just a lot harder for them to avoid compared to previous generations.

Couldn't agree more that Brereton has only ever had support from the overwhelming majority fans inside the ground. I distinctly remember the very warm reaction to his first (I think?) goal for us when we beat Bolton towards the end of his first season. No sign whatsoever that the fans were giving him stick more than any other player at that point.

All that said - and this is an inescapable fact for every decent sized club, not just Rovers - the comments that are made about players after games are absolutely everywhere and some players get made targets. I don't think we can honestly say that Brereton (or more typically the expensive signing of Brereton as a stick to beat Mowbray with) wasn't a go-to target for people venting their spleen when things weren't going our way, and unlike 20 years ago this wasn't all done in the pub after the game where the player is none the wiser.

Only a (probably small) minority and happens at every club, but not easy for a young boy to deal with all the same.