BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

Fiver a ticket from memory. Fulham fans out of sight in the corner of the DEnd Upper. Warm day, big win, Ewood looked a picture.

An average crowd of 26,000 that season (pretty much what we had in 2009/10, just months later BRFC was sold) .

The damage these people have done to this football club.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Fiver a ticket from memory. Fulham fans out of sight in the corner of the DEnd Upper. Warm day, big win, Ewood looked a picture.

An average crowd of 26,000 that season (pretty much what we had in 2009/10, just months later BRFC was sold) .

A few weeks after we'd won the League Cup and playing some Champaign football. Not many would have predicted our fall from grace at that point.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

A few weeks after we'd won the League Cup and playing some Champaign football. Not many would have predicted our fall from grace at that point.

Probably my favourite period of Rovers.

Solid mid table Premier League team and could challenge for Europe when we were on form.

We could have beaten anyone in the world on our day back then.

On 08/06/2024 at 20:06, RoversTilliDie said:

Never truer words I went to a couple of Bolton v Blackburn Rovers games in the 80s. You were dodging darts being thrown at you waiting at the turnstiles, and building bricks coming over the wall in the open end, the good old days.

And the railway bridge gaunt was not for mard arses either 

• Like 2

On 22/05/2024 at 18:25, Gav said:

Grimsby v Rovers under Howard Kendall, footage I’ve never seen before and an away shirt I don’t recognise either!

Starts around 2.50mins in.

That was the season after we came up with Grimsby and Sheff Weds and missed out last game at Bristol Rovers

Jim Arnold was a great keeper

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Upside Down said:

Probably my favourite period of Rovers.

Solid mid table Premier League team and could challenge for Europe when we were on form.

We could have beaten anyone in the world on our day back then.

i loved the souness era,we played some fantastic stuff and all the big 5 hated coming to ewood,wenger especially did`nt like it at all🤣

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

I can still see it, Matty. Belting sunny day, ground packed, Blackburn End looking fantastic. I was sat in the Riverside. Coley sliding in on Maik Taylor to score a tap in. Duffer rampaging through for the second. Then Cole twisting the Fulham defence inside out for the third.

As I sit here, only two questions come to mind:

1) Where have 22 years gone?

2) What have these bastards done to our club?

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ABBEY said:

Tranmere on a Friday night was a bad place to be, but nothing compared to Manchester road .

13 hours ago, ABBEY said:

I had a good arm, and returned some of them bricks to good effect. But what a relief to get back to the station.

14 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i loved the souness era,we played some fantastic stuff and all the big 5 hated coming to ewood,wenger especially did`nt like it at all🤣

Everyone at the Club on and off the Field of Play pulling in the right direction...we were a force to be reckoned with make no mistake.Such an enjoyable time to support Rovers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Everyone at the Club on and off the Field of Play pulling in the right direction...we were a force to be reckoned with make no mistake.Such an enjoyable time to support Rovers.

You could be proud back then that we were probably the best run club in the world.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, berkshireblue said:

That was the season after we came up with Grimsby and Sheff Weds and missed out last game at Bristol Rovers

23 hours ago, berkshireblue said:

There is a good story behind that game for me, as I sort of went, but didn't see much of the game.

One of my best mates, had two brothers older than us, as we were 16 at the time and nearly ready for leaving school. They both drove, so Saturday morning on a bit of a wing and a prayer, they decide to go to the game and asked me and my mate if we wanted to share the cost of the petrol and go too.

We jumped at the idea, a new ground and a rare chance in those days to see us away. The only problem was, it was before Sat Nav and we were relying on an old style atlas.

Anyway, the inevitable happened and we got lost and arrived at the ground with about 25 minutes, if the game left. rovers end was locked, as was normal, to keep the fans in, after the game, so we took our chance and went into the home end as the had opened the gates. It soon became obvious that we were Rovers fans, so as the final whistle blew, that was it, we were in for a ruckus. The only way to escape was to go across the pitch, but as the MOTD pictures show, it was a cow field. It was either go home filthy of get a kicking, so we all chose the pitch.

Needless to say, we were all filthy after, but at least in one piece and with a point added to our tally.

• Like 1

Watched a bit of a podcast with yer man Howie Gayle last night. 

There was a definite Liverpool slant to out, and not much about rovers which is what I was really interested in. The main remark he made was that he really respected Don. Thought he was a fantastic football coach. Sellars got a name check as well

Just made me think how much I really miss those late eighties days. They were the best days. We didn't win anything, but it was fun. Back when football was proper and none of this absolute nonsense you see now. Bar , out of town hotel stadia etc. no sky moving kick offs about, listening to radio two or five for the commentary. Jimmy armfield, Bryon butler, wish I could remember more of the names. Mike Jones I think was one. 

To my mind now, football is almost ruined. Just totally rubbish. All the things that made it good are gradually being stripped away

Edited by broadsword

4 hours ago, broadsword said:

There was a definite Liverpool slant to out, and not much about rovers which is what I was really interested in. The main remark he made was that he really respected Don. Thought he was a fantastic football coach. Sellars got a name check as well

Just made me think how much I really miss those late eighties days. They were the best days. We didn't win anything, but it was fun. Back when football was proper and none of this absolute nonsense you see now. Bar , out of town hotel stadia etc. no sky moving kick offs about, listening to radio two or five for the commentary. Jimmy armfield, Bryon butler, wish I could remember more of the names. Mike Jones I think was one. 

To my mind now, football is almost ruined. Just totally rubbish. All the things that made it good are gradually being stripped away

Possibly my favourite time too - although sometimes looks better through rose-tinted specs? Still had the threat of violence at away games, appalling toilets, etc. !!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, broadsword said:

think of it this way,the game is sanatised like hell,but we had the best times,imo the only good thing about football now is the food is better and you don`t have to p**s in open air toilets,i.e the terracing.other than that,you can take me back to the 80`s

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

think of it this way,the game is sanatised like hell,but we had the best times,imo the only good thing about football now is the food is better and you don`t have to p**s in open air toilets,i.e the terracing.other than that,you can take me back to the 80`s

I'd take today's game over the dark ages of the 70's and 80's 10 times out of 10.

I'm sure that you had a great time, and being young and carefree was wonderful for me too, but what I have heard, read, and saw (late 80's so it was dying out) I am glad that that era of football is gone. 

• Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'd take today's game over the dark ages of the 70's and 80's 10 times out of 10.

I'm sure that you had a great time, and being young and carefree was wonderful for me too, but what I have heard, read, and saw (late 80's so it was dying out) I am glad that that era of football is gone. 

yes it did get out of hand on the terraces but the football was better,hard but fair,refs let you play without prancing around waving cards and there was no **** on a video screen deciding results,the football went forwards as well believe it or not😆

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

yes it did get out of hand on the terraces but the football was better,hard but fair,refs let you play without prancing around waving cards and there was no **** on a video screen deciding results,the football went forwards as well believe it or not😆

It is indeed a different game now. As has been debated in the Euros thread decades ago countries had different styles. The teams from the British Isles got it forward quickly. South American teams were full of flair but lacked defensive discipline, Spain flattered to deceive, Germany were ruthless, African teams were a true wildcard.

I do miss that. Todays game has been homogenised, yet it is helping England. 

Yeah, I don't miss feeling unsafe. I remember going to Wembley for that centenary celebration thing. Fans of loads of different clubs there, and they were all fenced off from each other. 

It's more the excitement and the fun of being a town team but having something to look forward to. And a lot has been lost along the way. We don't even do match programs any more do we

13 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It is indeed a different game now. As has been debated in the Euros thread decades ago countries had different styles. The teams from the British Isles got it forward quickly. South American teams were full of flair but lacked defensive discipline, Spain flattered to deceive, Germany were ruthless, African teams were a true wildcard.

I do miss that. Todays game has been homogenised, yet it is helping England. 

Regarding playing styles - back in the day you knew you were watching Brazil just by the way they played. It didn’t matter what shirts they were wearing. Now they are like any other Latin American team.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces