BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

BRFCS TV - Nostalgia Thread

On 21/06/2024 at 18:01, simongarnerisgod said:

brazil 1982 for me,got done by a bunch of italian animals and their own attacking instincts😩

Always had a sneaking respect for the Italians in 1982 (to be fair that was helped by having them in the school sweepstake!). They started terribly and then managed to get through a group of 3 with Argentina and Brazil! Ok they were rough but played (just!!!) within the rules of the game at that time. Brazil of '82 forgot that you have to be able to defend to win things. From what I've seen (which isn't much) the Brazil of 1970 had a decent defence.

I can't think of any major tournament win where the winning team hasn't had a good defence (not necessarily great but at least with one or two top class players in it). Holland in the 70's were brilliant going forward but lost two WC finals conceding 5 goals in the two games whereas in 88 they won the Euros with players like Rijkard and Koeman at the back.

Then you have Greece winning the Euro's on the basis of score one goal and keep a clean sheet. Always love the irony that some people on here moan about that but (presumably) love the Kendall side that got promoted from Div3 largely on the same basis.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, oneandycrawford said:

Brazil of '82 forgot that you have to be able to defend to win things. From what I've seen (which isn't much) the Brazil of 1970 had a decent defence.

they had an absolute donkey up front called serginho,if careca had`nt been injured and roberto dinamate been fit,they would have outscored everybody and most likely have been compared to brazil 1970,zico,socrates and falcao were great but the best player was left winger eder (aka the cannon),he was absolutely brilliant,his left footed chip over the scottish keeper alan rough,had me on the top field for hours trying to replicate it😁

• Like 1