BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Friday 12th February Blackburn Rovers Vs Preston North End @ Ewood Park

29 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

And to supply our not tall striker we have the most talented player on the pitch coached to play dinked soft  in-swinging crosses into the area from only part way into the oppo half that rarely get past the first defender. Meat and drink to the defence.

Corners, set pieces and the converting of them are another thing that seems rather absent. No idea what the stats are on those but i bet they are underwhelming, all these little things add up and all should be weapons.

When you play the Rovers way though the scintillating possession football more than makes up for it !

Edited by tomphil

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Corners, set pieces and the converting of them are another thing that seems rather absent. No idea what the stats are on those but i bet they are underwhelming, all these little things add up and all should be weapons.

When you play the Rovers way though the scintillating possession football more than makes up for it !

Have we scored a headed goal from a corner this season? I see Williams has 1 goal but can't recall it at the moment.

Anyway Lenihan is useless at heading to goal, he gets on the end of a few crosses but that about it.

• Like 1

Just read in the LT that Mowbray thinks the missing ingredient to taking the next step forward is consistency.

whatever that bloke is drinking, I want some.  The only missing ingredient to taking the next step is having a manager who can set up against the opposition on the day and to have a plan B, should things not work out.  Basic skills for a football manager.

I wonder if Venky’s get to see articles from the LT and if that is where his comments are aimed?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, tomphil said:

tony does`nt focus on playing to our strengths does he,loads of pace in the squad,we could be a good counter attacking side,similarly it`s blindingly obvious we don`t work on set pieces either despite not lacking in the height department,in fact im`e at a loss wondering what they do in training because everytime i watch us it looks like 11 strangers out there

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Have we scored a headed goal from a corner this season? I see Williams has 1 goal but can't recall it at the moment.

Anyway Lenihan is useless at heading to goal, he gets on the end of a few crosses but that about it.

Wasn't Williams headed goal early on. I can't remember who against but a near post header from a right wing corner. 

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

tony does`nt focus on playing to our strengths does he,loads of pace in the squad,we could be a good counter attacking side,similarly it`s blindingly obvious we don`t work on set pieces either despite not lacking in the height department,in fact im`e at a loss wondering what they do in training because everytime i watch us it looks like 11 strangers out there

11, non footballing, strangers, at that.

10 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Entertaining small sided games to beam back to India probably.

16 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

Just read in the LT that Mowbray thinks the missing ingredient to taking the next step forward is consistency.

whatever that bloke is drinking, I want some.  The only missing ingredient to taking the next step is having a manager who can set up against the opposition on the day and to have a plan B, should things not work out.  Basic skills for a football manager.

I wonder if Venky’s get to see articles from the LT and if that is where his comments are aimed?

Football managers have been searching for that in their teams since the ball was round and TM thinks he's discovered the missing link.

Silly sod.

• Like 1

Sorry chaps you are all wrong about the coldest place for football. It is clearly Carlisle. 

Went to a January midweek evening game once whilst I was living up there and to say it was artic was an understatement! Carlisle has its own subzero microclimate at the best of times. An evening game.in mid winter was something else all together. I don't think I have ever been that cold before or since. 

(Tbf the feet frozen to the terraces does sound pretty bad.) 

As for goals scored we really are flat track bullies (to mix sports.) We've a few convincing results which make us look good but also a load of scabby wins by a solitary goal often against the run of play. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Statistically he must be the best in our defence with ball at feet.

When it does go wrong it's going to be monumental and a YouTube classic.

I like him a lot.

I don’t think even Sir Roger, who was no stranger to the halfway line, ever took a throw in in the opponents half like Kaminski did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Win the next 4??? Not a snowballs chance of that happening.

We should beat Coventry. Maybe a draw at Barnsley.

Then on to March

March OMG ...... 'Things to Come'

Our season is OVER, accept that fact now, it with makes personal choices on what to watch or pay for much easier.

On the plus side. By the end of next month, if not sooner, even the most staunch Mowbray supporter will have to accept the play offs are out of reach. At that point, surely they will realise its time for change, or will we see the goalposts shift once again. 

44 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

On the plus side. By the end of next month, if not sooner, even the most staunch Mowbray supporter will have to accept the play offs are out of reach. At that point, surely they will realise its time for change, or will we see the goalposts shift once again. 

Good point, this month is probably make or break. do or die. playoff or mid-table.

Annoyingly this run of winnable games could have propelled us into the playoffs. However losses to PNE and QPR have seen us well and truly in the mire of mid-table and even a couple of wins won't make that much difference now at the final outcome. 

On a seperate note, and I may be overlooking a game, when was our last really good performance? Can't think of many since our early thrashings and the Preston away game. That speaks volumes to me. 

9 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Annoyingly this run of winnable games could have propelled us into the playoffs. However losses to PNE and QPR have seen us well and truly in the mire of mid-table and even a couple of wins won't make that much difference now at the final outcome. 

On a seperate note, and I may be overlooking a game, when was our last really good performance? Can't think of many since our early thrashings and the Preston away game. That speaks volumes to me. 

The few lucky points we've manage to get have have papered over the fact that we're already in our usual death spiral. If we'd have lost to Boro and drawn with Luton, as we might have done but for the officials, I'd be fearing the worst more than I am at the moment.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Up until the Stoke game we'd only scored 1 header all season. 

A lack of headed goals isn’t unfamiliar, with just six in each of the last two seasons, with their one scored this season unsurprisingly the fewest in the division.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19025039.stats-reasons-behind-rovers-set-pieces-struggles/