BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

16 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Or are they likely to get the top ones and we get the trickle down of the ones that don't quite make the grade there? i.e. Travis, Rankin-Costello.

That's exactly how it happens. Which adds to the argument to get shut of the academy for anyone below the age of 16.  We just get the big boys cast offs anyway.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

When we were signing the likes of Tosin, THB, Reed and co they were in seasons with bigger squads were the objective was 'supposed' to be a crack at the top end. 

Now we are in a season of complete transition to younger less costly players to reset the books. Therefore imo this season should be all about getting games into our own players and seeing who is ready and who isn't etc.

By all means get some decent back ups in but the priority and focus should be on our own. And hopefully getting another few young players in for the long term.

It's a bite the bullet season with the aim to stay clear of trouble so why waste money and squad places doing other clubs/players favours.

I was encouraged by what i saw on Saturday in terms of effort and resilience.

I think that's a good argument to not go mad with filling the squad with loans, which if certain reports are to be believed, we might end up doing sadly. Buckley in particular needs be starting more games, and it doesn't make sense to send Carter down to L1 if whoever is playing at Ewood is as raw as Branthwaite was last year.

That being said, we can't lose the number of players that we have (even if we weren't sorry to see lots of them go) without bringing at least a few extra bodies in. Like you I'm encouraged that we already have the ability to stay clear of trouble, but the depth that we've had on the bench is a real cause for concern. That's why this one makes perfect sense to me - we start three midfielders every game, and of the five options we currently have, only one (Buckley) hasn't had significant fitness issues recently.

I think it just comes down to being selective. 2 or 3 players with the ability of Harwood-Bellis/Elliott is ideal. 5 or 6, with a couple of Jack Brynes, Martin Samuelsens or Stephen Hendries thrown in, then serious questions need to be asked. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, tomphil said:

When we were signing the likes of Tosin, THB, Reed and co they were in seasons with bigger squads were the objective was 'supposed' to be a crack at the top end. 

Now we are in a season of complete transition to younger less costly players to reset the books. Therefore imo this season should be all about getting games into our own players and seeing who is ready and who isn't etc.

By all means get some decent back ups in but the priority and focus should be on our own. And hopefully getting another few young players in for the long term.

It's a bite the bullet season with the aim to stay clear of trouble so why waste money and squad places doing other clubs/players favours.

We don't have enough depth and need players equal to or better than the ones currently starting. 

19 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

We don't have enough depth and need players equal to or better than the ones currently starting. 

The whole point is to grow the ones we have and grow as a team.

You have to start somewhere and now is the time to do it. We need some depth for sure  but we need to utilize what we have first. Second half Saturday we ended up with several attacking players on pressing Millwalls back line. It took going behind then fans getting restless for that to happen. It shouldn't have to be like that.

We have the bodies he just needs to start using them properly and play our strengths. 

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Exactly.

We keep hearing about the journey the club is on. No point picking up too many hitchhikers only to drop them off a few miles later.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Exactly.

We keep hearing about the journey the club is on. No point picking up too many hitchhikers only to drop them off a few miles later.

Surely it is the only way to actually build for the future with a lower cost base.

Instead bringing in loads of short term fixes and prioritizing them and their appearances is counter productive.  Finish 12 th, go around in circles every season wasting a few million in loan fees.

When you get lads like Elliot as good as they are you end up building your team to suit them. They prosper and move on and you have to start again.

This season should be about utilizing that 12 million quid strike force and our own assets. They need some help but they should be the priority not some kid from Liverpool or City.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TruRover said:

This is a non starter. Two of my closest mates are die hard fulham fans and claim they are about to sign a Brazilian striker named Munoz (?) for about 7m. No way they go in for Obafemi after him and already owning mitrovic. 

Fulham mates now saying there local sources claiming there’s interest - still can’t see it happening with Munoz set to join them.

2 hours ago, J*B said:

In which case - and let me be clear when I say this - absolutely no loan players should be brought in to play ahead of Travis. 

If Travis is fit hes starts. We need different options in centre midfielder and Travis could push forward and add goals to his game

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Clarkson would not be a signing that on the face of it I would be over enthusiastic about, it is a stab in the dark because of his minimal senior experience. It seems that it is the only market that we are dealing in. Some of our loans in the last 3 years have proven to be successful and we do need a central midfielder so lets hope that he can come in and do a good job.

Who he supports is an irrelevance too.

Mowbray has had success with stab in the dark like Tosin and Elliott. Given that he has been part of Liverpool first team squad suggest some quality there. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Aren't Fulham signing a Brazil based Striker? The same player Boro wanted? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Surely it is the only way to actually build for the future with a lower cost base.

Instead bringing in loads of short term fixes and prioritizing them and their appearances is counter productive.  Finish 12 th, go around in circles every season wasting a few million in loan fees.

When you get lads like Elliot as good as they are you end up building your team to suit them. They prosper and move on and you have to start again.

This season should be about utilizing that 12 million quid strike force and our own assets. They need some help but they should be the priority not some kid from Liverpool or City.

I don't think that we built our team around Elliott, and his signing was an undoubted success. This theory also implies that a mid table finish is guaranteed either way, which is not true in general, especially this season when the loans might be needed to help us stay in the division.

Our own assets will still get plenty of game time, but we don't have enough players, plus it may allow a couple of the more raw ones to get regular game time on loan themselves rather than being 3rd or 4th choice here. Signing 2 or 3 loans of a quality you couldnt normally afford is a very useful method of improving the team. 5 is too many, and seemingly the result of aggressive budget cuts. 

People wouldnt suggest dropping Nyambe and Rothwell for being in the last year of their contracts when in reality, they would have as long left at the club as any loanees.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't think that we built our team around Elliott, and his signing was an undoubted success. This theory also implies that a mid table finish is guaranteed either way, which is not true in general, especially this season when the loans might be needed to help us stay in the division.

Our own assets will still get plenty of game time, but we don't have enough players, plus it may allow a couple of the more raw ones to get regular game time on loan themselves rather than being 3rd or 4th choice here. Signing 2 or 3 loans of a quality you couldnt normally afford is a very useful method of improving the team. 5 is too many, and seemingly the result of aggressive budget cuts. 

People wouldnt suggest dropping Nyambe and Rothwell for being in the last year of their contracts when in reality, they would have as long left at the club as any loanees.

People don't have to suggest dropping Nyambe or Rothwell. Mowbray will do it anyway.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, tomphil said:

But that’s reliant on there being very few injuries and other than maybe 3/4, how many of our u23s are ready for first team football? If we got relegated by playing the kids every week I can guarantee that fans would be demanding why we hadn’t brought in more quality, even if it’s via loans.

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Nymabe and Rothwell are still Rovers club assets so any available funds should first be directed into trying to secure that.

You are generalizing a bit there whereas i see it like someone else pointed out. Get a couple of good loans max to help ensure the season isn't a disaster but the rest should just be back up to our own.

I'm still non plussed about getting excited about big clubs kids here. They should be the icing on the cake in a squad going for promotion. Not the main feature in one happy with midtable and supposedly rebuilding with a youthful lower wage set up. Then money might become available again down the line to get in some better players of our own to add to what we have.

I'm trying to take the longer term view here as we are supposed to be on some sort of journey. Yet what gets proposed is often just short term fixes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverKyle said:

Does our academy tend to do well against the big teams in terms of youth recruitment? Or are they likely to get the top ones and we get the trickle down of the ones that don't quite make the grade there? i.e. Travis, Rankin-Costello.

I've no idea.  Just would think with Jim being on our doorstep he should have been picked up by us. Although another poster says he's been at Liverpool since he was 6 so fair enough.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Nymabe and Rothwell are still Rovers club assets so any available funds should first be directed into trying to secure that.

You are generalizing a bit there whereas i see it like someone else pointed out. Get a couple of good loans max to help ensure the season isn't a disaster but the rest should just be back up to our own.

I'm still non plussed about getting excited about big clubs kids here. They should be the icing on the cake in a squad going for promotion. Not the main feature in one happy with midtable and supposedly rebuilding with a youthful lower wage set up. Then money might become available again down the line to get in some better players of our own to add to what we have.

I'm trying to take the longer term view here as we are supposed to be on some sort of journey. Yet what gets proposed is often just short term fixes.  

My point is more that not everything can be focused on the long term, and it cant be taken for granted that we are set for another season of mediocrity, when we could be much lower than that. If the loanees are better than what we have, which of course is a big assumption, then that is the only market that we are in, then we should get them in. Either way, there will be plenty of game time for our own young players, we have a young squad, if anything we need experience but that seemingly isnt possible, but our squad is not only lacking in quality but it is tiny. Out of interest, if the loanees were experienced players on year long contracts, would you equally be against that?

16 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

But that’s reliant on there being very few injuries and other than maybe 3/4, how many of our u23s are ready for first team football? If we got relegated by playing the kids every week I can guarantee that fans would be demanding why we hadn’t brought in more quality, even if it’s via loans.

There are no guarantees loans work out either though the only ones that really have here will have cost a few quid.

Tosin, Reed, Elliot, THB etc

They've already taken that gamble of letting experience go and not replacing it so we are already in the hands of the gods. What if there is as i suspect no real money for loans either ?

Just whatever we can get for the smallest wage contribution in return for guaranteeing games. Then they have to be found a place in the team, get several in under those conditions then what does your season then become about ?

It becomes about them.