BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

4 minutes ago, Butty said:

I’m only 25 and this makes me feel old as f**k! Winning the prem days a bit before my time, my first season ticket was 02/03. Didn’t realise at the time how lucky I was as a kid!! Great days and some great memories under Souness Hughes and Big Sam. 

I dread to think what I am if you are old at 25.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Butty said:

I’m only 25 and this makes me feel old as f**k! Winning the prem days a bit before my time, my first season ticket was 02/03. Didn’t realise at the time how lucky I was as a kid!! Great days and some great memories under Souness Hughes and Big Sam. 

I'm a few years older, but like you am not old enough to remember us being top dogs, much less appreciate it. 

Like others have said, fair play to him for still being a Rover after what we have subjected him to over the last ten years. I bet his best XI from since he started watching us is laughably poor. Give it a few weeks he might even be in it himself!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

The only way Mowbray's process makes sense is if Liverpool / Man City / Everton et al are paying US to take on their kids and give them game time. Y'know, use our Championship team as a testbed, but in the process help keep the lights on.

Instead he uses loans to bolster his squad AT COST because he has no contacts in the game and is a terrible manager. 

To clarify, I share the feeling that a flurry of kids on loan deals is rather underwhelming. Indeed I would be amazed if this transfer window ends us being judged as anything other than desperately poor, with our best player leaving a huge void and experience replaced by inexperience.

But it seems that based on Mowbrays interviews in the last few weeks, we are currently operating exclusively in the loan market because we cant afford anything else. He specifically said at the weekend that he would like experience but that will be impossible due to salary levels.

Loaning players with the parent club footing the majority of the bill can be mutually beneficial if done correctly. We have had 4 players in the last 3 years that massively improved us to an extent that simply wouldnt have been possible if we wanted an equally effective player on a permanent basis. Indeed it was the rest of the puzzle being wrong that caused us to rot in mediocrity. Obviously the parent club then benefits from a player who has matured, indeed we have been on the other side of that process with Wharton, Lenihan, Raya etc.

It is not just us at this level that looks to use the loan market, look at Norwich who were promoted last year with Skipp in midfield, or Swansea getting into the play offs in successive seasons with the likes of Guehi and Woodman being central to that. The risk perhaps falls in the lack of gametime making signing a loanee such a stab in the dark.

The main argument against that I regularly see is that they will block the development of our own youngsters. It is something I disagree with, we should want to make the team better in the short term too, and that can be in tandem with our younger players, especially considering how light in numbers we are.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Careful. You're not allowed to criticise the club

Who said that?

It's fine to criticise the club, just extremely odd to criticise when you don't have any idea what's gone on.

Going off your posting history you get enjoyment out of it which is extremely odd

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Very underwhelming. 

If we couldn't get an 18 years old Rovers fan who used to live near Brockall,  to come and play here on loan then we might aswell all pack up and go home.  🙄 the odds are he's more like that shit left back than the lad Harvey.  Good luck to the lad like.

Typical churlish response from you. Even the 'good luck' at the end is done begrudgingly. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

If we couldn't get an 18 years old Rovers fan who used to live near Brockall,  to come and play here on loan then we might aswell all pack up and go home.  🙄 the odds are he's more like that shit left back than the lad Harvey.  Good luck to the lad like.

Genuine question, which shit left back? We've had about 7 in the last 5 years or so. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

You did. 

No I didn't.I said criticising the club for something you don't know to be true is ridiculous.

Plenty of legitimate reasons to call the club out on.

You hadnt even heard of Clarkson last week and now you know the club made a ricket in not signing him up as a youngster.We have no idea what went on.

Even if he was at the club although the official Liverpool site says he joined their academy at 6, it's hardly just cause to stick the boot in for the club not recognising he would make it by the age of 9.And as for the club losing out on many local top talents, name some from the last 30 years.Every club in the country has let a talent slip through their fingers every now and again 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Very underwhelming. 

Sam Hart didn't get anywhere near their first team. You surely know that. 

5 hours ago, tomphil said:

The whole point is to grow the ones we have and grow as a team.

You have to start somewhere and now is the time to do it. We need some depth for sure  but we need to utilize what we have first. Second half Saturday we ended up with several attacking players on pressing Millwalls back line. It took going behind then fans getting restless for that to happen. It shouldn't have to be like that.

We have the bodies he just needs to start using them properly and play our strengths. 

We can't employ a gung-ho strategy for 90 minutes each game, but in terms of tactics we had the wrong approach against Millwall by playing to their strenghts until we eventually adjusted. Could have been behind by a couple of goals by then and the game long gone. Introducing fresh legs helped, and I think the subs so far this season have picked up the gauntled and seem well up for it. I agree we shouldn't utilise the maximum amount of loans with the view to make an impact as starters, ideally I would want some hungry young permanent signings and a couple of veterans who still have the required drive. Armstrong will have to be replaced, and I think there's room for a central mid (now signed), a central defender, and a backup left back. Other than that we can wait and see, we have versatility with JRC coming back. 

• Like 1