BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

2 minutes ago, islander200 said:

And all will want two year deals and nice wages, all injury prone and ageing.We can't give out contracts to our own assets because we over spent on giving out expensive deals to ageing,injury prone and past it players and have done whenever the owners have decided to spend some money.. Murphy,Best ,Etuthu,all the foreign lads, Giving Mulgrew that contract, Evans money for nothing never fit ,Holtby a baller on his day but a luxury the club couldn't afford

they arn`t going to get what they got in the premier league obviously,if their demands are to high then fair enough,no harm in inviting them for a trial,training and tentative enquiry,it`s how normal clubs work,we`ve got to get some experience in the side,going into the autumn and winter with young lads and not much back up means the inevitable will happen im`e afraid

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Are we even in the market for 6 year olds Jim?

I was at a "youth" tournament a few years ago for professional clubs' under-8s. One of the coaches told me some of the tots in his team cried when they fell over because they grazed their knees. 

1 hour ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

For those questioning the loan market- one example where it worked to our advantage, Tosin came in, allowing us to loan out Wharton. The following season he would have been a first team regular - but for injury.

Good loans can give our players more time to develop. Equally they can fill gaps that would have seen us being forced into paying over the top fees - e.g. last seasons centre half crisis.

TBH - Mowbrays record in the loan market isn't bad.

To me that's an example of where it didn't work out. We failed to sign a proper centre back and settled for what is in hindsight an expensive stop gap.

We signed tosin on a decent wage and played a loan fee of over 1 million pounds. He was great in that year, I really rated him but what did we have to show for it? 

No asset to sell at the end, another place in the squad to fix in the next summers window driving more resources away from other areas. 

If we'd have finished anywhere near the playoffs that season then it wouldve been worth it but we didn't.  

See Douglas last season. See the panic loan of Walton the season before.

Edited by BlackburnEnd75
  • Like 5

50 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

but it still begs the question of why Rovers again failed to secure such a local talent as a youngster and why we continue to use the loan market that merely serves to help the development of Premier League clubs' young players instead of identifying and signing players of our own on permanent deals . 

Ever heard of Venkys, Jim?

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Anyone decent will want money we don't pay.All the better ones that we had a chance of affording were snapped up when we had an embargo.

Nixon saying at least one permanent signing and crooke and Sharpe been saying it too 

sounds like the decent kids are earning more than most decent championship players tbh

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

No football club should be able to secure a 6 year old. Full stop.

Rovers not culpable here for a change. 

If I'm remembering rightly, no football club can 'secure' a 6 year old. They can just train them and hope they decide to stick around later. I don't know what age it kicks in where they can get compensation or a transfer fee for them moving, though I'd expect not until they've signed a scholarship deal, which I think is 16? I'm sure another poster with closer involvement like Sparks can clarify.

That said I remember when I was 11 we played a team who had a winger being watched by pretty much all the local teams and his dad had been offered something like 10k by one of them to sign with them, supposedly. So maybe it kicks in earlier than I thought, or maybe they were just paying that to get him in and hope he stuck around later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Are we even in the market for 6 year olds Jim?

Not really. We have development centres which they go to around and just above that age, nothing too serious, a training session, not signed on. Low pressure environments. Open trials at U8's.

Edited by JoeH

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

Anyone decent will want money we don't pay.All the better ones that we had a chance of affording were snapped up when we had an embargo.

The ( self imposed ) embargo was a handy excuse not to spend money. If we had posted the accounts earlier it would have been lifted or not imposed in the first place.

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

Here's a list of current free agents: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/statistik/vertragslosespieler

Surely any football management worth their salt would be able to use that list (along with the myriad tools at their disposal within the game) to fill in gaps in the squad?

Surely?

So why doesn't TM do that?

27 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

The ( self imposed ) embargo was a handy excuse not to spend money. If we had posted the accounts earlier it would have been lifted or not imposed in the first place.

Is it a surprise we are not spending money?.Most championship clubs ain't spending money,we along with the rest of them have had minuscule income the past 18 months and we don't sell players at least up until last week and now they are saying a bit of money for a permanent signing .

And I'm not buying we never spend money Mowbray has had plenty of money and we only have to look at how much we spend on wages compared to what we bring in 

57 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If I'm remembering rightly, no football club can 'secure' a 6 year old. They can just train them and hope they decide to stick around later. I don't know what age it kicks in where they can get compensation or a transfer fee for them moving, though I'd expect not until they've signed a scholarship deal, which I think is 16? I'm sure another poster with closer involvement like Sparks can clarify.

That said I remember when I was 11 we played a team who had a winger being watched by pretty much all the local teams and his dad had been offered something like 10k by one of them to sign with them, supposedly. So maybe it kicks in earlier than I thought, or maybe they were just paying that to get him in and hope he stuck around later.

It goes on.  Kids can sign to a club at 9 years old.  The club can only offer a maximum of 2 years at that age.  

I do know of a few kids that have gone from a smaller academy to a larger one and money has been exchanged.  A couple of examples, CIteh paid Tranmere £80k for a 14 year old, I know a boy at PNE who Stoke offered £50k for at 15, he didn't want to leave and is still there and in the first team squad now.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

• Backroom
22 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

So why doesn't TM do that?

No idea. I'm looking at that and thinking some of them could be affordable and beneficial.

Joe Bennett, Neil Taylor, Mendez-Laing, Hoilett, Rochina, Bolasie, Saivet, Bentaleb could all be useful imo, and they're just the ones I've heard of.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Mike E said:

No idea. I'm looking at that and thinking some of them could be affordable and beneficial.

Joe Bennett, Neil Taylor, Mendez-Laing, Hoilett, Rochina, Bolasie, Saivet, Bentaleb could all be useful imo, and they're just the ones I've heard of.

Isn't Bennett injured? 

Also would most of these players improve our squad and why haven't other clubs sign them if they are that good Mike?

1 hour ago, Mike E said:

We should be all over that list, but I doubt we will be. There are a few decent players there who look attainable. It can't come down to wages all the time, surely? 

We need options out wide. If Brereton is out for any reason we are left with little choice on that side. Chapman isn't reliable. I feel the same about the right flank too. Just imagine Bolasie on one side and Mendez-Laing or Kadeem Harris on the other, big upgrades on our current options, imo. I doubt there's much chance of that happening though as the manager doesn't like actual wingers.

There's a left back on that list, Haitam Aleesami. Were we not linked with him a year or so ago? That could be one to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Harwood-Bellis (a future England player IMO) and Elliott and Tosin were stand-outs and Mowbray clearly has a good relationship with Liverpool and Manchester City in order to bring them to the club but there's been a few mistakes ones too and if you look at his overall transfer record including permanent signings it's very "mixed" to put it politely. 

Reid (even if miss-used), Armstrong, Antonson (bit mixed, but scored some important goals) - also immediately spring to mind.

9 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

No football club should be able to secure a 6 year old. Full stop.

Rovers not culpable here for a change. 

Youth development is one aspect the Americans have gotten right. Club's shouldn't be running it, schools and colleges should be.

9 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

To be fair, Clarkson could be a player and if he's as good as Elliott we'll be delighted but it still begs the question of why Rovers again failed to secure such a local talent as a youngster and why we continue to use the loan market that merely serves to help the development of Premier League clubs' young players instead of identifying and signing players of our own on permanent deals . 

What question does it beg? Rovers have a CAT 1 academy but they’re still not fishing in the same pond as the top PL clubs. Assuming that Rovers would’ve been delighted to have onboarded Clarkson. Players of his ability are always well known on the circuit. He’s not turning down Liverpool for Rovers for a whole multitude of reasons (prestige, money etc). 

• Like 1

Free agents are very rarely free they command a higher signing on fee a higher salary and there’s very little sell on fee 

which of course is completely different to a loan signing 🤔

• Backroom
7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Isn't Bennett injured? 

Also would most of these players improve our squad and why haven't other clubs sign them if they are that good Mike?

'That good'? I said affordable and 'could be useful'. Not exactly a high bar, I'm literally thinking of plugging gaps in our squad.

Why did nobody else clamour to sign Nelsen or Samba or Tugay or Friedel or Graham or Mulgrew or Dack or Kaminski 'if they are that good'? All players we signed without battling another club.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 6

56 minutes ago, AJW said:

Free agents are very rarely free they command a higher signing on fee a higher salary and there’s very little sell on fee 

which of course is completely different to a loan signing 🤔

I’m pretty sure their demands will be dropping daily as the deadline looms. Once the deadline passes they can’t be registered until January so would miss out on a few months wages. Reckon they may be a bit keener to drop their demands at that stage. 

7 minutes ago, Ricky said:

I’m pretty sure their demands will be dropping daily as the deadline looms. Once the deadline passes they can’t be registered until January so would miss out on a few months wages. Reckon they may be a bit keener to drop their demands at that stage. 

Did we not sign Downing after the deadline - or have the rules changed ?