BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

25 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Two Rovers players I look fondly back on  from 6 free signings, Stokes, Brown, Greer and Feeney all utterly a waste of good money.

Throw in Williams as a cash buy and the loans of; Emnes, Hoban and Gallagher Byrne, Hendrie, Samuelson and Joao.

How many from 13 good enough for championship level? Graham, Emnes… possibly Gallagher and a fit Hoban?

A far better position I think this season, to be selective, take opportunities with top level loans (similar to Tosin / Elliott / HB) and rely on a bucketload of talent (as evidenced again last night vs Everton) coming through the u23s

Last night I was impressed with Sam Burns (pity about his lack of height) and Ash Phillips (we need to get him signed on).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

He will ruin Dolan. He'll knock the enthusiasm out of him. He should not be a central striker. The solution is obvious to me---put him on the wing or play him behind a front two (if there is room for him) and play Gallagher in his natural position. 

He should be "brought on" not depended on.

He certainly looked to be the scapegoat on Saturday i felt sorry for the lad.

Just now, tomphil said:

He certainly looked to be the scapegoat on Saturday i felt sorry for the lad.

He was playing against two huge centre-backs.

13 minutes ago, 47er said:

He will ruin Dolan. He'll knock the enthusiasm out of him. He should not be a central striker. The solution is obvious to me---put him on the wing or play him behind a front two (if there is room for him) and play Gallagher in his natural position. 

He should be "brought on" not depended on.

Its literally only a week since his enthusiasm and energy caused Swansea so many problems we should’ve score 5.

If you’re going to fairly criticise the coaching staff, surely it’s his lack of improvement with the final ball aka shot or cross?

4 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Kean Bryan would be a class free agent signing. Was very decent for Sheffield United last season in the Prem - he turned down a new deal with them. Can’t see him coming our way if Boro and Warnock are interested.

Wonder why he turned down a new deal? Was seemingly starting to feature more for them. 

1 minute ago, Beanie01289 said:

From Manchester so maybe he would want to stay more local

Perhaps at 24, feels he should be a regular somewhere. If the case, I like that attitude rather than sitting on a decent contract and barely playing.

• Like 1

Kean Bryan on a free at 24 is probably a sensible move. Comes in as 3rd choice but probably gets chances throughout the season. Allows a loan for either Carter or Magloire. Cheaper wages than the City lad and is ours permanently. Has some experience but not enough to cost a bomb. Boro also linked.

Quite a lot online being made of being a left-sided centre back. Wonder if that means he can cover left back too? 

A player who could cover all the same positions as Williams, but just do it better, would be a great addition given where the squad is at the moment, and that we're obviously looking to play with three at the back more. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JBiz said:

He was playing against two huge centre-backs.

Its literally only a week since his enthusiasm and energy caused Swansea so many problems we should’ve score 5.

If you’re going to fairly criticise the coaching staff, surely it’s his lack of improvement with the final ball aka shot or cross?

So who was at fault ?

I suggest you watch the full first half then you might actually grasp what people are on about.

Wrong game and wrong opposition.

31 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Kean Bryan on a free at 24 is probably a sensible move. Comes in as 3rd choice but probably gets chances throughout the season. Allows a loan for either Carter or Magloire. Cheaper wages than the City lad and is ours permanently. Has some experience but not enough to cost a bomb. Boro also linked.

Didn't Mowbray say he wanted two centre halves?So could be in addition to the city lad 

1 hour ago, JBiz said:

Two Rovers players I look fondly back on  from 6 free signings, Stokes, Brown, Greer and Feeney all utterly a waste of good money.

Throw in Williams as a cash buy and the loans of; Emnes, Hoban and Gallagher Byrne, Hendrie, Samuelson and Joao.

How many from 13 good enough for championship level? Graham, Emnes… possibly Gallagher and a fit Hoban?

A far better position I think this season, to be selective, take opportunities with top level loans (similar to Tosin / Elliott / HB) and rely on a bucketload of talent (as evidenced again last night vs Everton) coming through the u23s

Surely this shows that loans can be risky and problematic as well? Some of them were utter flops, especially the youngsters. 

Also reminds us how Coyle was dealt a terrible hand. Sold all his best players with no money to replace them. Whereas we have Travis and Nayambe he had Lowe and Henley. The man got a terrible deal. 

Mind you he didn't half make the worst of such a deal. So, so many poor signings - frees and loans. And paying a fee for Williams...

5 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Youth development is one aspect the Americans have gotten right. Club's shouldn't be running it, schools and colleges should be.

Eeeeeh, as much as I love American Football, I wouldn't cite US sports as the beacon for youth development.

College Football recruiting is just about the dirtiest game in the business - and it becomes a meat grinder when they get to College.

You have Minor League baseball players out of pocket so that they can continue travelling with their team - the Oakland A's just got in a lot of trouble for that recently. 

As I understand it, 'soccer' in the US is basically pay-to-play when it comes to the higher levels.

4 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Eeeeeh, as much as I love American Football, I wouldn't cite US sports as the beacon for youth development.

College Football recruiting is just about the dirtiest game in the business - and it becomes a meat grinder when they get to College.

You have Minor League baseball players out of pocket so that they can continue travelling with their team - the Oakland A's just got in a lot of trouble for that recently. 

As I understand it, 'soccer' in the US is basically pay-to-play when it comes to the higher levels.

Agreed.

Also, surely we should be judging youth development on the end product it provides. The USMNT are shocking, as is the quality of the MLS.

22 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

And our system isn't a meat grinder???  If it was brought under the umbrella of schools/FA etc, more kids would get opportunities and if the finances were properly regulated then that aspect would be circumnavigated.  It's hardly as if the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool etc academy car parks aren't full of 50K cars owned by kids, kids that most likely won't make the grade....  This is the aspect I herald not the rest, it makes logical sense to have elite coaching available to all children.

Clubs shouldn't be running this aspect, it should be separate and run independently by the FA, with funds from the TV rights etc being channelled into ensuring we focus on developing as many kids as possible.  The whole current system feeds the biggest clubs and allows them to hoover up all the talent they can and with about 1 or 2 a year making it, this does not seem very productive.  County academies, with satellites spread across the region, linked into schools etc etc would make much more sense and ensure a much larger number of kids were given the chance to make the grade and get the best coaching possible to maximise their potential.  A properly run draft system would also spread out the talent, again meaning that it's not all about feeding the richest clubs, even then look at some of the player's who have slipped through and gone on to do well elsewhere from said clubs.

I saw an article once following over 200 1st year premier league academy players careers over 4-5 years, at the end only 4 were still at pro level.  Cracking system.

• Like 2

Kean Bryan would be an interesting one, a permanent player, and covers a few places, centre back especially on the left of a 3 and at left back where we are very short.

That being said, his career has been a little curious. I remember that he (if I recall correctly) scored the winner at Old Trafford last season, but spent much of his time at Sheffield United on the sidelines and he had a brief loan spell at Bolton when they were struggling for players the season before.

If its us v Boro, I can't see him coming here.

Ironically it would seem the Blades fans put this Kean lad way behind Jack O'Connell.  Sounds a Derick Williams type signing - will do a job in a couple of positions but not outstanding in any. 

https://www.sheffieldunited.news/opinion/why-sheffield-united-should-say-goodbye-to-kean-bryan/?amp

Only 6ft 1 as well.  We have enough defenders around that height.  Need some one 6ft 5ish to add a bit of aerial power.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller
  • Like 1