BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

West Brom Preview

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

It’s amazing how cheap Samba and Nzonzi both were…a product of good European scouting and the confidence to sign such relative unknowns. We must have the shortest squad in the division…the subs all warm up directly in front of me and it was like watching a bunch of Olympic skateboarders 

A club willing to take the direct ' old school direct' approach of the 80s Wimbledon and Beck's Cambridge would have a great chance of getting out of this league. 

Don't get me wrong, not a fan of that style of football, but given the current approach of tippy tappy possession football, a team taking that approach may well upset the applecart.

We won't do it but somebody will. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

A club willing to take the direct ' old school direct' approach of the 80s Wimbledon and Beck's Cambridge would have a great chance of getting out of this league. 

Don't get me wrong, not a fan of that style of football, but given the current approach of tippy tappy possession football, a team taking that approach may well upset the applecart.

The more successful managers of bottom half Prem clubs (Allardyce, Pulis, Dyche etc) have taken the POMO approach and adapted it so that the team can also play good football when required. For all the negativity surrounding Allardyce he still found space in his teams for the likes of Okocha, Dunn, Diouf, Pedersen and others who could really play…plus the evolution of bigger players like Nzonzi who are both physical and technically excellent (see Pogba for a more recent prototype). I for one enjoyed the Allardyce era as we rarely lost at home and regularly ‘roughed up’ the big boys. Watching West Brom’s first game at Bournemouth reminded me of this. When the opportunity is there to get it in the box, do so (the long throw being their weapon of choice) but aside from that, play attacking, forceful football utilising strong pacy wingers and a general air of physicality throughout. It’s ironic that a team that Allardyce couldn’t save is now more Allardyce than ever under different tutelage. They will go up automatically 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

The more successful managers of bottom half Prem clubs (Allardyce, Pulis, Dyche etc) have taken the POMO approach and adapted it so that the team can also play good football when required. For all the negativity surrounding Allardyce he still found space in his teams for the likes of Okocha, Dunn, Diouf, Pedersen and others who could really play…plus the evolution of bigger players like Nzonzi who are both physical and technically excellent (see Pogba for a more recent prototype). I for one enjoyed the Allardyce era as we rarely lost at home and regularly ‘roughed up’ the big boys. Watching West Brom’s first game at Bournemouth reminded me of this. When the opportunity is there to get it in the box, do so (the long throw being their weapon of choice) but aside from that, play attacking, forceful football utilising strong pacy wingers and a general air of physicality throughout. It’s ironic that a team that Allardyce couldn’t save is now more Allardyce than ever under different tutelage. They will go up automatically 

Kevin Gallagher said it was like watching the football his dad had told him about from back in the day. Two guys out wide all the time and three up the middle.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Kevin Gallagher said it was like watching the football his dad had told him about from back in the day. Two guys out wide all the time and three up the middle.

I’m reading Pat Nevin’s autobiography at the moment and that approach was almost ingrained on young Scots growing up in that era. The wingers were often more jinky than physical (although John Robertson could do both). What stood out yesterday was, with the width they had, when they countered they had an abundance of options. The cross field ball was utilised well which really splices open a team of our current limitations. Power, pace and width. The gulf between us and them 

• Like 1

Just now, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

I’m reading Pat Nevin’s autobiography at the moment and that approach was almost ingrained on young Scots growing up in that era. The wingers were often more jinky than physical (although John Robertson could do both). What stood out yesterday was, with the width they had, when they countered they had an abundance of options. The cross field ball was utilised well which really splices open a team of our current limitations. Power, pace and width. The gulf between us and them 

“ When you get the ball make the pitch as big as you can “, I was told that as a 16 year old player.  Also, “ When you lose the ball make it as small as you can. “

• Like 4

If only we had two more midfielders that could be as involved as much as Travis and Rothy. 

We looked all over the place at times yesterday with players too close to each other leaving them lots of space out wide.

I watched the friendly against Leeds and was impressed by Garrett but it seems he isn't deemed ready for the challenge.

Overall we had Kaminski to thank for keeping the score respectable, but I was impressed by the effort and Chapmans moment of magic was great to see although he probably got a bollocking for doing it!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

taking that approach would render us with multiple sendings off and a fine from the fa,definately can`t get away with what they got up to these days,there is nothing wrong with mxing the play up though,even liverpool at  their 70`s and 80`s height used the "alehouse long ball" when they needed it

11 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Didnt have a clue where Phillips was for what turned out to be the winner. Unconvinced thus far I must say.

on the Phillips's goal, we have caught by WBA counter attack. Yes he positional could have been better but everyone should be communicating. 

I thought he was very decent against Swansea. But yesterday I think ok/decent against one of the best 2 teams in this league

7 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Phillips gave him the run around today. 

Phillips mainly played as the main striker in the front 3 with Robinson on the right and Grant left. 

was surprised by that

7 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

taking that approach would render us with multiple sendings off and a fine from the fa,definately can`t get away with what they got up to these days,there is nothing wrong with mxing the play up though,even liverpool at  their 70`s and 80`s height used the "alehouse long ball" when they needed it

I'm not talking about grabbing Gazza's bollocks  - but The direct, ball in the air, playing for set pieces and throw ins approach with a team full of 6ft plus lads.

• Like 1

I too am unconvinced by Pickering. He seems willing to get forward but it's some of his defending that worries me. In the four league matches far I don't think I've seen him block a cross. There was one yesterday when he was tight to the West Brom player over by the corner. For me it's relatively easy to get a block in in that situation but he didn't and a dangerous cross came in. It's early yet but given the propensity of his predecessors to allow crosses to come in it appears that our coaches don't see an issue with it.

• Like 4

I think people need to cut Pickering a break. It's a huge step up and he's a young lad still learning. He would never have faced players of the calibre he did yesterday. I would prefer him there rather than a another washed up loan. Great set piece delivery against Milwall. We aren't going out and signing Andy Robertson or Luke Shaw. 

Loved Breretons goal yesterday, some burst by him and what a delectable ball by Clarkson. 

There is fight in this team and I'm getting exciting for what this season may bring, compared to what I thought before it started. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

I'm not talking about grabbing Gazza's bollocks  - but The direct, ball in the air, playing for set pieces and throw ins approach with a team full of 6ft plus lads.

one tactic i would take from cambridge is their set piece routine,it was absolutely lethal,near and far post  post flick ons with  5 or 6 players running in on it,it was a nightmare to defend against,the biggest critisism i have for mowbray is he tries to play purist football with players that ar`nt good enough,play to your strengths imo,we`ve got some lads who have the speed of a greyhound,set us up to counter attack then

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Having a plan and sticking to it would help, as would knowing what’s your best eleven is.

I was reading in today’s paper that “ Burnley’s line up yesterday at Anfield was the first consisting of squad numbers 1 to 11 in the top flight since a Charlton side in 1998-99 “.

I hope he sticking to playing us on the counter attacking as plan A. Think its suits our squad at the minute. 

In the age of squad number its very unrealistic to expect 1 to 11 being the starting lineup as players pick numbers for different reasons

3 hours ago, Gav said:

I'm sorry Exiled but that rosy picture you're painting isn't what anyone in my experience is actually seeing in practice and never will be under these owners, but I hope you're right and we are wrong.

The squad is threadbare, contracts unsigned, scouts sacked, no staff to run the club shop, all cost cutting measures, we're back to the Blackburn Rovers of mid 80's, 2nd class stamps and running away from the milk man.

Its a sorry state of affairs, they're running the club into the ground bit by bit and that will never change until the owners leave, regardless of who the manager is.

Yeah, imagine if the CEO wasn't wtf in London most weeks and his other mate wasn't trying to sell the training ground to line his pockets.

It's a sorry state of affairs because we keep attracting parasites - and the Venky's keep hiring them. 

What I'm saying is the money and autonomy is there to turn this club around. We'll just never do it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

on the Phillips's goal, we have caught by WBA counter attack. Yes he positional could have been better but everyone should be communicating. 

He only had one job then and that was to be aware of the danger of his man coming into the box.  He was ball watching which is a lower league trait.  Not urgent enough with his defending.  Good at crossing but we need good defenders as you saw with their goal yesterday 

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I hope he sticking to playing us on the counter attacking as plan A. Think its suits our squad at the minute. 

In the age of squad number its very unrealistic to expect 1 to 11 being the starting lineup as players pick numbers for different reasons

That’s what I like about Dyche - he tells the players what numbers they are having, not the other way around.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

blimey its only a squad number. 

It's never just a squad number in the premiership, it is all about image, individuality and control. CR7, Newcastle No 9, United and Liverpool No 7 etc. Very often these are dictated by the players, the point Tyrone is making is that Dyche controls the narrative, not the tail wagging the dog.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I too am unconvinced by Pickering. He seems willing to get forward but it's some of his defending that worries me. In the four league matches far I don't think I've seen him block a cross. There was one yesterday when he was tight to the West Brom player over by the corner. For me it's relatively easy to get a block in in that situation but he didn't and a dangerous cross came in. It's early yet but given the propensity of his predecessors to allow crosses to come in it appears that our coaches don't see an issue with it.

Reminds me of Tommy Spurr but a shorter version.

57 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Loved Breretons goal yesterday, some burst by him and what a delectable ball by Clarkson.

Was it really a delectable pass? If not for a glaring mistake by the GK it would never have reached him. If it had landed on his toe without incident then yes I would agree but it didn't.

• Like 1