BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

If Sturridge was still worth a punt he would be playing in the Championship or at the very least a lower placed Premier Team with his contacts in the game, truth is he isnt, no one wants him, he is past his sell by date and not even excelling down under. Stay clear for me, not worth it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

In an ideal world it would be hilarious if Venky's gave Fulham £30m + of f u money for Mitrovic and decided to deal with the FFP consequences at a later date. It won't happen but I think they theoretically could if the move was a realistic possibility.

Solanke's a strange one. Whenever I've seen him on Sky  I think he looks absolutely dreadful but his goal record this season is good.

I remember us signing “the other Shearer” to take rhe wind out of Swindon’s sails back in the day. Different money, different time. 

• Like 2

Sturridge is exactly the type of signing we should be making even on a six month deal. He 32 and top quality . The quality he possesses could be the difference . Can be a game changer on his own. It’s all down to attitude and desire but I would certainly sit down with him and have the discussion 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

If Sturridge was still worth a punt he would be playing in the Championship or at the very least a lower placed Premier Team with his contacts in the game, truth is he isnt, no one wants him, he is past his sell by date and not even excelling down under. Stay clear for me, not worth it

You are one of those hesitators....if nobody else is doing it then it must be shit ...🤷‍♂️ what a load of cobblers.  The lad was world class and is only 32

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Sturridge?  Absolute no for me.  We do not need anymore been there done that once great billy big boots players to come in here and stroll to retirement.  I think he would upset the chemistry this group has.

Yep, and it's not as if he was an outstanding player even in his pomp. He's been without a club for nearly 2 years and no one's been willing to touch him with a bargepole

Neither should we

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9950467/Free-agent-Daniel-Sturridge-issues-come-plea-social-media-post.html

• Like 1

I'd like us to bring a marquee signing into the club, experienced former international that can command immediate respect to guide this side down the home straight, but who that player would be I have no idea and as Jim says above, not bleedin Sturridge.

I also wouldn't rule out bringing an old player or 2 back to work behind the scenes, a former Premiership winner maybe? Help them understand what this means to the town and its supporters.

We may not get anther chance at this, we need all the help we can get.

10 minutes ago, Gav said:

I'd like us to bring a marquee signing into the club, experienced former international that can command immediate respect to guide this side down the home straight, but who that player would be I have no idea and as Jim says above, not bleedin Sturridge.

I also wouldn't rule out bringing an old player or 2 back to work behind the scenes, a former Premiership winner maybe? Help them understand what this means to the town and its supporters.

We may not get anther chance at this, we need all the help we can get.

I am not sure this team needs that at this point, I wiuld be very concerned about someone like that tipping the team spirit.  This group right now looks to be everything we stand for, a blue collar town team living it's motto. and I for one am loving it.  Homegrown talent providing the Labore.  I think the type if players we need are good solid unassuming players that are good at their craft with no glitz or glamour, let's keep Diaz as our fancy pants.  It is just.working.right.now.and I would be very very wary of upsetting that apple  cart.

• Like 3

It is quite a normal thing to do. Think Gordon Cowans, think Mark Hughes in our previous promotion seasons adding vital nous and experience.

But it just doesn’t seem TM’s style, especially if he’s deemed to have a ‘problematic’ attitude…

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Yep, and it's not as if he was an outstanding player even in his pomp. He's been without a club for nearly 2 years and no one's been willing to touch him with a bargepole

Neither should we

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9950467/Free-agent-Daniel-Sturridge-issues-come-plea-social-media-post.html

Of course he was an outstanding player.  He had technical ability to match the best.  Injuries ruined him but if his attitude is right he would walk this league 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, El Tombro said:

At 29, Sturridge surely still had a few years to give to a lesser club in the Premier League. Instead, he found his way to Turkey and got banned for four months for breaching gambling rules. He's now in Australia, so I suspect from a pure footballing point of view, his head has gone, and that's before you even get to his talent which he clearly has/had.

Avoid.

Having said that, I could see Burnley lodging a bid for him to save their season. He might be all they can afford!

I don't think Burnleh are short of money now, haven’t they just been taken over by an american setup?

11 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Of course he was an outstanding player.  He had technical ability to match the best.  Injuries ruined him but if his attitude is right he would walk this league 

I think you've touched on why he's not worth the risk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

It is quite a normal thing to do. Think Gordon Cowans, think Mark Hughes in our previous promotion seasons adding vital nous and experience.

But it just doesn’t seem TM’s style, especially if he’s deemed to have a ‘problematic’ attitude…

Those type of players sound great until you start putting the likes of Danny Murphy in there as well

• Like 4

• Backroom

Thinking aloud (freebies) and strictly spitballing re: experienced hands down the home straight:

Hatem Ben Arfa - 34 but might enjoy one last hunt for glory helping us get up?

André Wisdom - RB cover, experienced, 28yo.

Maicon - CB, experienced, international.

Winston Reid - as above.

Henri Saivet - 31, attacking midfield, possibly no need due to returning Dack.

Mikel - 34, past it potentially, but experienced at the top level.

Contracts ending: One last shoot for the Premier League?

Arturo Vidal - You know why! Pre-contract too.

Felipe - 32, centre back

Axel Witsel - 32, midfield

Danny Wass - 32, midfield

Cenk Tosun?

Steve Cook at Bournemouth?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

You are one of those hesitators....if nobody else is doing it then it must be shit ...🤷‍♂️ what a load of cobblers.  The lad was world class and is only 32

His not played for 18 months! No pre season, nothing, will take him minimum 3-4 months to get upto speed and thats if he doesn't get injured.

We need to exercise a bit of caution here. Sign the wrong player and we could start going backwards

. I remember Man City playing really well and leading the old First Division going into the run in. For some reason they decided they needed “ the last piece of the jigsaw “ so they put the boat out to sign Rodney Marsh. Although Marsh was a class act it took them a few weeks to fit him into the jigsaw. By the time they had fitted him in they’d slipped off the top and Notts Forest pipped them to the title.