BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

2 minutes ago, neophox said:

Every player has a price and I would pay £5m for him. What did we pay for Gally and Brereton?

Giles and swift look like they'd definitely chip in well with assists and the odd goal, but we're still be at least 1 short of a good centre forward to finish those chances! And as of yet there's not been any concrete links to any strikers in the past few days or more

10 minutes ago, J*B said:

I think Mowbrays played this fantastically and I’m usually negative towards the management. This is the timeline IMO…

January - Mowbray has offered terms to all 3 key out of contract players. None have signed, none are for sale. All are told if they get Rovers promoted they will be given a huge bonus and will be offered updated, better terms.

Wednesday - rejects a bid for 2M from Bournemouth, speaks to Rothwell and tells him under no circumstances will he be leaving.

Thursday - makes a statement to local media saying he isn’t leaving. 

Friday - Rothwell arrives at Brockhall and wants a meeting with Mowbray. He asks to be allowed to speak to other clubs. Mowbray tries to talk him around, but Rothwell’s advisors are pushing for a move knowing he could get multiple times his salary. Rothwell is 27, this is his last contract, he has a fiancé and two kids. 

Mowbray tells Rothwell to leave Brockhall, confirms he won’t be in the squad or travelling for Saturday and to have a think as to whether or not this is really what he wants. Rothwell’s agent rings Mowbray confirming that Rothwell would like to speak to other clubs this window. 

Saturday - Mowbray makes a statement after the game confirming the current situation. Rovers start to test the market for Rothwell. 

Sunday - Rovers receive updated offers from Bournemouth. Chicago Fire have bit on Saturdays availability call outs and offered £3.3M. Rovers tell Bournemouth and Rothwell they’re selling to Chicago Fire unless it’s matched. Bournemouth match the offer. Mowbray tells Rothwell to drive to Bournemouth because he doesn’t want him around training on Monday. 

Key to remember that Chicago can sign players until mid-Feb and Rothwell would need a work permit and international clearance before the deal could be confirmed. Ergo, he isn’t signing for them tomorrow, it would be Feb. Rothwell doesn’t want to play in the USA, but is worried the Bournemouth move won’t be agreed in times and he will be pushed to Chicago in Feb. So Rothwell and his agent push Bournemouth to get the move agreed ASAP. Bournemouth have increased their offer by 60% in 4 days. 

I disagree it has been well handled because of two things. Rothwell should have been forced to hand an official request in, to lose his bonus, and we should have told Bournemouth the price for them is a lot higher than the price for a team we aren't competing with.

4 minutes ago, danger19_80 said:

"Rovers have a contingency plan in place in anticipation of a Rothwell exit but you can't have one without the other. Mowbray affirmed 'they would be stupid' if they were to sanction Rothwell's departure without some form of guarantee on the incoming front and the club already have a variety of options in mind."

Expectations have been set. Up to the club to make this Rothwell move a disaster or an opportunity.

In the post match interview, when Mowbray said they would be stupid.  He did laugh to himself afterwards 🙄

21 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

They come, they go.....

If he completes deal to Bournemouth, although not an ideal destination from our promotion hopes point of view, then he goes.

He has been integral in getting us to 2nd in the table, and without him, we wouldnt be in second. I'm thankful for his efforts, and wish things were different and our contract offer was better and it had been signed.

Club made it clear, August, September, October and November if these deals were not signed then they would look to sell them.

Rovers sudden turn in fortunes on the pitch has complicated that stance. Waggott publically stated in radio lancs interview that the contract rebels felt they can get more money elsewhere, he stated that it was unlikely, and those contracts are no longer available, and people are not banging the door down to sign them.

In the end the club has followed through with its threat, no better terms and allegedly accepted a bid.

The player has asked to speak to them, and decided he wants out now.

I personally don't think all the blame is Joe's, we've had months to offer better terms and have chosen not to.

Lessons need to be learnt, personally i'd have never let him join a promotion rival in this window, but its not my job to pay the bills.

New hero's will step up, one player dont make a team, we get our attacking players fit and confinue to be tight at the back we will be okay. We will sign a couple tomorrow and would of done regardless of Rothwell, 

Its easy to dwell, but it wont change what will be will be

Eh? Waggott said publicly the contract offers were no longer available? Not so sure about that, I'm sure we would have heard. It would also be stupid.

2 minutes ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Giles and swift look like they'd definitely chip in well with assists and the odd goal, but we're still be at least 1 short of a good centre forward to finish those chances! And as of yet there's not been any concrete links to any strikers in the past few days or more

Swift has scored 8 goals for Reading who are down the bottom of the league. He'd chip in more than the odd goal.

Top of the assist table and a good passer. He'll be in the PL next season.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

I disagree it has been well handled because of two things. Rothwell should have been forced to hand an official request in, to lose his bonus, and we should have told Bournemouth the price for them is a lot higher than the price for a team we aren't competing with.

I agree, handled well is when he dont end up at Bouremouth, christ i would take Burnley other them especially if we miss out on automatic promotion to Bouremouth.

Regardless of players wishes, money on table, Bouremouth should be flat no

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

Eh? Waggott said publicly the contract offers were no longer available? Not so sure about that, I'm sure we would have heard. It would also be stupid.

He said clearly in bbc radio lancs interview that due to the pandemic, the figures the players think they can get elsewhere are just not there.

12 minutes ago, Gav said:

Mowbray said last week we won’t be selling Rothwell without having a replacement, we’re not going to weaken the side.

Who are we bringing in with the Rothwell money? 

That’s why people need to just take a breath. If decent replacements haven’t arrived by 11pm tomorrow then by all means have a go at whoever you like, be it the manager or the owners. But it’s pretty obvious that TM has persuaded Venkys that having an unsettled player on the clubs books is detrimental to their chances and that any transfer fee could be used to strengthen the squad overall. I for one am looking forward to a very busy day

• Like 1

Everything I'd like to say about Rothwell and his morales has already been said. 

The one thing that hasn't is that it's certainly no coincidence that his form and consistency has improved dramatically now that we have transitioned to a counter attacking team. We suit him and he us. Bournemouth are not this. I don't think he'll be a poor signing for them, but he won't be nearly as effective as he is for us. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Think he plays more of a number 10/Dack type of role there though doesn't he? 

He does but I'd put Buckley in Rothwell's role and Swift further forward.

Won't happen though. We always go for diamonds in the rough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

it’s a bit like us selling Fred Pickering to Everton when we were up at the top of the old First Division. Only difference is Fred was the best centre forward in the UK when the likes of Bournemouth were turning out at Rochdale and Halifax.

Not really Tyrone.

Pickering wasn’t in a position to walk away on a free transfer in 6 months time.

22 minutes ago, J*B said:

I think Mowbrays played this fantastically and I’m usually negative towards the management. This is the timeline IMO…

January - Mowbray has offered terms to all 3 key out of contract players. None have signed, none are for sale. All are told if they get Rovers promoted they will be given a huge bonus and will be offered updated, better terms.

Wednesday - rejects a bid for 2M from Bournemouth, speaks to Rothwell and tells him under no circumstances will he be leaving.

Thursday - makes a statement to local media saying he isn’t leaving. 

Friday - Rothwell arrives at Brockhall and wants a meeting with Mowbray. He asks to be allowed to speak to other clubs. Mowbray tries to talk him around, but Rothwell’s advisors are pushing for a move knowing he could get multiple times his salary. Rothwell is 27, this is his last contract, he has a fiancé and two kids. 

Mowbray tells Rothwell to leave Brockhall, confirms he won’t be in the squad or travelling for Saturday and to have a think as to whether or not this is really what he wants. Rothwell’s agent rings Mowbray confirming that Rothwell would like to speak to other clubs this window. 

Saturday - Mowbray makes a statement after the game confirming the current situation. Rovers start to test the market for Rothwell. 

Sunday - Rovers receive updated offers from Bournemouth. Chicago Fire have bit on Saturdays availability call outs and offered £3.3M. Rovers tell Bournemouth and Rothwell they’re selling to Chicago Fire unless it’s matched. Bournemouth match the offer. Mowbray tells Rothwell to drive to Bournemouth because he doesn’t want him around training on Monday. 

Key to remember that Chicago can sign players until mid-Feb and Rothwell would need a work permit and international clearance before the deal could be confirmed. Ergo, he isn’t signing for them tomorrow, it would be Feb. Rothwell doesn’t want to play in the USA, but is worried the Bournemouth move won’t be agreed in times and he will be pushed to Chicago in Feb. So Rothwell and his agent push Bournemouth to get the move agreed ASAP. Bournemouth have increased their offer by 60% in 4 days. 

Sorry, think that's absolute rubbish.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating of course but what's £3.3m in the general scheme of things if as a result the wheels fall off at our end and Bournemouth go up?

Could work the other way of course but if not it's probably one of the worst if not the worst single decision in the history of the Club.

Certainly the most costly at £100m plus parachute payments minimum.

A risk we simply didn't need to take.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1