BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

I would prefer not to sell Rothwell - as somebody else has said, he is a rare commodity with his ability to run from midfield. In full flow he is like a Rolls Royce gliding over the pitch. In terms of replacement, it is unlikely we will get like for like - however if we get a midfield player with reasonable pace, who doesn't disappear during matches, who can find a team mate on a regular basis, can create and occasionally score - we may well be better off overall. His career at Bournemouth will be interesting - his success this year is very much down to the system we play - as well as an overall improvement in his game. Take him out of that system, with the understanding of his team mates - it will be interesting - and possibly not the success he expects. Having said that, I don't begrudge him his big pay day, he has worked his socks off this season - leaving for a rival does leave an unpleasant taste though.

Though a number of attacking players have stepped up this season - IMO a lot of our success is built on the defence - as shown over the last couple of matches.

• Like 2

Whether we should sell Rothwell now is one issue.

But no way should we strengthen Bournemouth or another of our promotion rivals.

This is TM's decision. He obviously thinks he can do better with the money. He's always under-rated Rothwell and to keep him on the same rate as when he first arrived from Oxford, if true, is just plain dumb and no way to run a football club.

No wonder we face a crisis at the end of the season with other players. We used to regularly reward players who turned out to be good 'uns in order to protect our investment. Whatever happened to that logical and beneficial policy?

The onus is on TM now to really replace Rothwell, a very difficult job.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I would prefer not to sell Rothwell - as somebody else has said, he is a rare commodity with his ability to run from midfield. In full flow he is like a Rolls Royce gliding over the pitch. In terms of replacement, it is unlikely we will get like for like - however if we get a midfield player with reasonable pace, who doesn't disappear during matches, who can find a team mate on a regular basis, can create and occasionally score - we may well be better off overall. His career at Bournemouth will be interesting - his success this year is very much down to the system we play - as well as an overall improvement in his game. Take him out of that system, with the understanding of his team mates - it will be interesting - and possibly not the success he expects. Having said that, I don't begrudge him his big pay day, he has worked his socks off this season - leaving for a rival does leave an unpleasant taste though.

Though a number of attacking players have stepped up this season - IMO a lot of our success is built on the defence - as shown over the last couple of matches.

Very close to my views, although I'm not optimistic that that we'll find that player who will improve us overall. I definitely think that the defence carrying on as they are will be more important to getting out of this league than Rothwell would have been.

I think you're right that whilst on one level this is very good business from Bournemouth, there is a risk that they're accumulating so many attacking/midfield options that it'll be a challenge to produce a system which suits them all. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I don’t think that’s what they either said or meant to be fair mate. Both these guys have forgotten more about football than I ever knew. 

And as an aside my two sons are both season ticket holders at Celtic Park and are of the view that Celtic are about on a par with Rovers at the moment.

Yes but rovers are very much a championship team👍 IF we got promoted we'd need a big first team overhaul to be able to compete in the prem

39 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Whoever replaces Rothwell will probably be another utility type midfielder who can slot in a number of round holes with his square peg. TM loves these types and they are usually cheap and i think when are using the word replacement it's a bit misguided. 

He'll replace the spot in the squad and use the wage room but it won't be an attempt at anything like for like. 

Not sure TM won’t see Gally sliding right into the Rothwell role 

• Like 2

Tomorrow is going to be an exciting and interesting day, or is it?

I’m of the view that Mowbray is now in the proverbial without a scoobydoo, think we’l have a disappointing day of panic buys tomorrow with the usual excuses

But we live in hope!

Has for promotion? I hope Mowbray wont be our manager 

2 hours ago, J*B said:

I think Mowbrays played this fantastically and I’m usually negative towards the management. This is the timeline IMO…

January - Mowbray has offered terms to all 3 key out of contract players. None have signed, none are for sale. All are told if they get Rovers promoted they will be given a huge bonus and will be offered updated, better terms.

Wednesday - rejects a bid for 2M from Bournemouth, speaks to Rothwell and tells him under no circumstances will he be leaving.

Thursday - makes a statement to local media saying he isn’t leaving. 

Friday - Rothwell arrives at Brockhall and wants a meeting with Mowbray. He asks to be allowed to speak to other clubs. Mowbray tries to talk him around, but Rothwell’s advisors are pushing for a move knowing he could get multiple times his salary. Rothwell is 27, this is his last contract, he has a fiancé and two kids. 

Mowbray tells Rothwell to leave Brockhall, confirms he won’t be in the squad or travelling for Saturday and to have a think as to whether or not this is really what he wants. Rothwell’s agent rings Mowbray confirming that Rothwell would like to speak to other clubs this window. 

Saturday - Mowbray makes a statement after the game confirming the current situation. Rovers start to test the market for Rothwell. 

Sunday - Rovers receive updated offers from Bournemouth. Chicago Fire have bit on Saturdays availability call outs and offered £3.3M. Rovers tell Bournemouth and Rothwell they’re selling to Chicago Fire unless it’s matched. Bournemouth match the offer. Mowbray tells Rothwell to drive to Bournemouth because he doesn’t want him around training on Monday. 

Key to remember that Chicago can sign players until mid-Feb and Rothwell would need a work permit and international clearance before the deal could be confirmed. Ergo, he isn’t signing for them tomorrow, it would be Feb. Rothwell doesn’t want to play in the USA, but is worried the Bournemouth move won’t be agreed in times and he will be pushed to Chicago in Feb. So Rothwell and his agent push Bournemouth to get the move agreed ASAP. Bournemouth have increased their offer by 60% in 4 days. 

If Rothwell helps Bournemouth to promotion what will £3M matter to them?If Rothwell had had regular pay rises commensurate with his value to the team, this would never have happened. Same goes for our other unsettled players.

You can make a purse out of a sow's ear if you want to but you'll never convince me.

This is a real kick in the guts.

• Like 2

• Backroom

We need replacements signed and sealed before we released him; let him have his medical but don’t sign any paperwork until we are ready, maybe even then don’t bother just out of spite!

Tomorrow needs a new thread, snacks and beer

Weirdly excited, can’t wait for the random ridiculous link that materialises late on.

• Like 9

• Backroom
Just now, Tom said:

We need replacements signed and sealed before we released him; let him have his medical but don’t sign any paperwork until we are ready, maybe even then don’t bother just out of spite!

Tomorrow needs a new thread, snacks and beer

Weirdly excited, can’t wait for the random ridiculous link that materialises late on.

I hope we do exactly that, just to mug him off. 'But you can go to Chicago if you want'.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

You can make a purse out of a sow's ear if you want to but you'll never convince me.

Promotion will convince you, never say never. 

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

If Rothwell helps Bournemouth to promotion what will £3M matter to them?If Rothwell had had regular pay rises commensurate with his value to the team, this would never have happened. Same goes for our other unsettled players.

This is the crux of the issue in a couple of sentences.

The shenanigans of the last 48 hours are just the outcome or product of us not having our house in order. Get our house in order = this doesn't happen.

Its another 'told you so' moment from me - I've been banging the drum about contracts and the dangers of allowing them to run down for many many months - this is why - it has put the club in a vulnerable position where we exposed to predators.

A player - whether that is Joe Rothwell or anyone else - wants security. If clubs are offering him good money and a long term contract and are professional in their dealings whilst we have mucked him around with derisory offers then it is obvious which way he is going to go.

The club has had time and opportunity to avoid this situation - and has done nothing.

And if anyone really expects Mowbray/Rovers/Venkys/Waggott to have already lined up a couple of proven quality permanent signings to replace him tomorrow I think you are going to end up disappointed. My expectation is a couple of loans and the usual spiel from Waggott about why things were all lined up but fell through.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, den said:

You’re right Jim, but it’s obvious Mowbray believed his mind was elsewhere. I honestly believe that in this situation he had no other option. You do as well, don’t you.

If Rothwells mind was still here he’d have been at Luton yesterday

Well he could have gone to Chicago Fire then Den. Anywhere But Bournemouth.

20 minutes ago, 47er said:

Whether we should sell Rothwell now is one issue.

But no way should we strengthen Bournemouth or another of our promotion rivals.

This is TM's decision. He obviously thinks he can do better with the money. He's always under-rated Rothwell and to keep him on the same rate as when he first arrived from Oxford, if true, is just plain dumb and no way to run a football club.

No wonder we face a crisis at the end of the season with other players. We used to regularly reward players who turned out to be good 'uns in order to protect our investment. Whatever happened to that logical and beneficial policy?

The onus is on TM now to really replace Rothwell, a very difficult job.

You’re oversimplifying it to suit your narrative. It’s not Mowbray simply thinking he can find better players. It’s Rothwell refusing to play for us and forcing a move. It’s clear that Mowbray and Venkys did not want to sell Rothwell but he forced the issue.

The whole saga is regrettable but Rothwell has effectively downed tools and Mowbray clearly thinks that having him around with his head elsewhere is worse than selling, even to a rival. Tomorrow is huge. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not straw clutching but My mate's son has pointed out that Sharpe's twitter feed is saying that the situation from Rovers end on Rothwell is that it is basically unchanged. I.e. no sale without replacents first.

Are we saying he's completely wrong?

Probably, yes.

Seems a decent enough guy, but he just reports the official line and never attempts to dig any deeper.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not straw clutching but My mate's son has pointed out that Sharpe's twitter feed is saying that the situation from Rovers end on Rothwell is that it is basically unchanged. I.e. no sale without replacents first.

Are we saying he's completely wrong?

I don't think he is in the loop, personally, I could be wrong, however. History shows that our local journo's are often playing catch up. I think he is just repeating Mowbray's stance from yesterday there I.e Rothwell won't be going without us having replacements lined up first.

4 minutes ago, 47er said:

If Rothwell helps Bournemouth to promotion what will £3M matter to them? If Rothwell had had regular pay rises commensurate with his value to the team, this would never have happened. Same goes for our other unsettled players.

The trouble with statements like this is that we don't know what Rothwell's demands were, or whether he would ever have accepted an offer that we could have realistically made. Without knowing the specifics of demands and offers, it's impossible to know how much of the blame the club takes in finding themselves in this dilemma. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Den, you mentioned Fred Pick before. 

It was slightly before my time but I'd imagine there's a huge difference. Back then I guess we needed to sell to survive. The difference here is Venky's don't need the relatively nominal fee we'll get for Rothwell.

Fortunate enough to see 'Pick' when we were leading Div 1 - didn't understand the 'politics' as only a young lad.

However, do remember my dad discussing with friends and fans were in uproar.  This followed on some 2/3 years after the abolition of football's maximum wage and the gripe was Rovers said they needed to average 20,000 to make a go of it and I think we were averaging circa 22,000 at the time.  Seemed like lunacy of the highest order and many fans never forgave Rovers.

• Like 2

Wow - thought the fee for Rothwell was £6M (which did seem bizarrely high tbf) and he was off to Brentford, so a bit disappointing to hear it's £3.3M and he's going to our key promotion rival!

Hard to see how we get two established Championship players who can compete at the top end of the table for that. 

Bournemouth using their superior resources to quite royally do us. But I suppose that's the way of the world. We did it signing Duncan Shearer off Swindon years ago.

If Mowbray can actually find the signings to make the squad stronger on 1st Feb, hats off to him. But it looks a very challenging task with a day to go.

• Like 1