SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Dingles

13 minutes ago, 47er said:

LOL there I'm afraid!

You'll notice I didn't suggest that meant we had more than a few buttons 😁

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Very easy to just go ‘well it’s only the Mail’

But I always look to the byline, Matt Hughes has been around the industry for a long time, formerly of The Times. 

But at the end of the day, it’s all a bit of a holding pattern and nothing will probably come from any of it until/if you go down…

I don't read the Tory and Brexit rags and don't believe anything they print, especially the Sun, Mail and express. I doubt Matt Hughes or any Mail reporter could point to Burnley on a map to be honest. Of course it is all grist for the mill and, to repeat. I don't like the deal, never have and never will and I don't see how it ever ends well for the club. This story sounds like much ado about not much, with the bigger picture issue being the debt loaded onto the club and how that is serviceable if we go down but also provides enough funds in players etc to keep us up.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Amount would be a good singing, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get better offers though....

Know almost nothing about him - or if the links are true. Sometimes players come to teams like Burnley to get in the shop window for a bigger deal so I guess, like Cornet, he may feel its worth giving it a go.

2 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Got to be a draw I think - BUT our fate is still in our own hands and we need to be looking at how we can get some results.

Personally Longsiders, I think Burnley have relied too much on the Dyche factor and its worn off. Burnley no longer have the fight factor, difficulty for opposition players and are too easy to play against. 

It will be interesting to see how BFC cope with the fixture pile up which in itself will heap additional pressure on the team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Are Burnley in financial trouble?

A mate of mine texted me earlier today saying that Pace is struggling to pay what he still owes to Garlick and the other former directors.

Any truth to it?

That is what the article a couple of pages back is alluding to.

Longers won’t have it though…

Edited by Mattyblue

23 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

That is what the article a couple of pages back is alluding to.

I missed that post of yours. I read the article. The takeover sounded a bit off at the time, it is now looking well dodgy. From it; 

"ALK have found Burnley a difficult sell given the club’s limited commercial clout. The chances of bottom-placed Burnley losing their Premier League status makes the task of attracting investors even more difficult"

How naiive were ALK? Thinking that they could cash in on marketing opportunities with Burnley. Seems like a case of a lack of due diligence. 

4 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I missed that post of yours. I read the article. The takeover sounded a bit off at the time, it is now looking well dodgy. From it; 

"ALK have found Burnley a difficult sell given the club’s limited commercial clout. The chances of bottom-placed Burnley losing their Premier League status makes the task of attracting investors even more difficult"

How naiive were ALK? Thinking that they could cash in on marketing opportunities with Burnley. Seems like a case of a lack of due diligence. 

They sound like Venkys without the money. The whole leveraged buyout using the clubs own funds shouldn't have been allowed.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, booth said:

They sound like Venkys without the money. The whole leveraged buyout using the clubs own funds shouldn't have been allowed.

Another case that the fit and proper is a waste of time and needs looking at to safeguard he clubs

• Like 5

On 22/01/2022 at 19:35, Mattyblue said:

Not sure that is entirely fair. The payments alleged to have been missed are to the previous owners - who have said it isn't true. So I can either believe the people to whom the money is owed or believe a lone journalist who has most likely never even visited Burnley, one who has no doubt added 2 and 2 to come up with 9. Overall I remain resolute in my view, I don't like the deal and don't believe it to be good for the club AND don't see it ending well for us however I also doubt the accuracy of the article, the solitary source of this "story". Most likely one fairly minor previous shareholder feeling disgruntled has spouted some drivel and the journo has padded it out - shame the profession wasn't so keen to report on downing street parties over the last 2 years.

The main tick tock right now is whether we sign anyone. If we get relegated the other tick tock starts in my view.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, longsiders1882 said:

Not sure that is entirely fair. The payments alleged to have been missed are to the previous owners - who have said it isn't true. So I can either believe the people to whom the money is owed or believe a lone journalist who has most likely never even visited Burnley, one who has no doubt added 2 and 2 to come up with 9. Overall I remain resolute in my view, I don't like the deal and don't believe it to be good for the club AND don't see it ending well for us however I also doubt the accuracy of the article, the solitary source of this "story". Most likely one fairly minor previous shareholder feeling disgruntled has spouted some drivel and the journo has padded it out - shame the profession wasn't so keen to report on downing street parties over the last 2 years.

The main tick tock right now is whether we sign anyone. If we get relegated the other tick tock starts in my view.

Fair comment that and despite the rivalry, I hate this kind of thing going on, and sincerely hope things are not as bad as the journo is making out. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, lraC said:

Fair comment that and despite the rivalry, I hate this kind of thing going on, and sincerely hope things are not as bad as the journo is making out. 

Thanks for this - though I don’t think things are great by any stretch and these guys really don’t have - or at least appear to have - any money to put in and want to make money on the deal. It certainly isn’t going to be land of milk and honey like Newcastle - though I’d rather we went under than have that kind of ownership.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, longsiders1882 said:

Thanks for this - though I don’t think things are great by any stretch and these guys really don’t have - or at least appear to have - any money to put in and want to make money on the deal. It certainly isn’t going to be land of milk and honey like Newcastle - though I’d rather we went under than have that kind of ownership.

It is disturbing that this can happen to a club, especially one who is on the face of it, punching above their weight. It is well documented, what we went through, as have several others. 

I am no expert on it, but somehow there has to be a way to protect the clubs and if it means repeating the German model (part fan ownership) then that needs to be the way forward.

If the Clarets plummet simply due to a greedy foreign speculator, then that simply can't be right.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, lraC said:

It is disturbing that this can happen to a club, especially one who is on the face of it, punching above their weight. It is well documented, what we went through, as have several others. 

I am no expert on it, but somehow there has to be a way to protect the clubs and if it means repeating the German model (part fan ownership) then that needs to be the way forward.

If the Clarets plummet simply due to a greedy foreign speculator, then that simply can't be right.

But it will be fun to watch.

43 minutes ago, lraC said:

Obviously for me to see us claw our way back from oblivion, to see the club finally out on a solid financial footing only for it to be wrecked by the greed of the owners as were and some foreign speculators is a hard one to watch - but we aren’t the first and won’t I guess be the last. 

29 minutes ago, rigger said:

But it will be fun to watch.

Sure for you guys - and I can’t say I didn’t get some fun out of seeing the Venkys experiment but, at the same time, could also find it a bit worrying that a club whose business model I admired, however grudgingly, could be turned from so well run to what it became within a season or two. Sadly there isn’t the appetite in government or even the fans it feels, for change.

• Like 4